Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Believe in a Sign of Chuchu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Though he may be a terrible husband, Bright Noa is a great commander and just barely squeaked out a win agains Sayla Mass!

Aww c'mon, he kept that would-be homewrecker at bay in ZZ. I think. It's been a while since I saw it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arbite posted:

Aww c'mon, he kept that would-be homewrecker at bay in ZZ. I think. It's been a while since I saw it.

He did. He was strongly tempted, but he did, repeatedly, go "I am married, I love my wife, this is not happening.", and didn't let things go anywhere.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
He's a terrible husband but he never cheats on his wife. He's a bad husband because he's a workaholic who never sees her or the kids

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chrome line posted:

He's a terrible husband but he never cheats on his wife. He's a bad husband because he's a workaholic who never sees her or the kids

Bright is basically the Goku of Gundam.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that can't be possible, bright knows what kissing is

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Bright is a worse husband and father than Goku, at least Goku often has the excuse that he's literally dead. And when he isn't, Goku is defending the earth from aliens or robots, or training to do so. Bright spends most of his time just being a random officer working for the Earth Federation which hates his guts. Spend some time with Hathaway!

chrome line fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 20, 2024

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

wait does bright not visit his kids between shows or is he only an absentee dad when he's fighting fascists and trying to stop colony drops

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Would you want to hang out with his prick of a son?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
He's definitely not visiting them enough, given Hathaway's attitude. Also given his status as the 3 time savior of the Earth Federation he is NOT getting enough compensation given what we see of Mirai's living conditions in CCA

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

wait does bright not visit his kids between shows or is he only an absentee dad when he's fighting fascists and trying to stop colony drops

Hard to find the time to visit his kid when he's constantly dealing with newtype teens ending up on his ships.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah things are bad enough when he’s there, imagine how many Gundams would get stolen if Bright wasn’t there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chrome line posted:

He's definitely not visiting them enough, given Hathaway's attitude. Also given his status as the 3 time savior of the Earth Federation he is NOT getting enough compensation given what we see of Mirai's living conditions in CCA

Hathaway's attitude about his dad is "he's alright."

Their relationship in CCA is a pretty vivid contrast compared to Quess and her dad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I never got the impression Hathaway has a serious problem with his dad, he's just kind of a grumpy teenager.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I never got the impression Hathaway has a serious problem with his dad, he's just kind of a grumpy teenager.

A grumpy teen trying to impress a girl he has a crush on. There's a lot of dumb a young man in that situation will do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's Hathaway's opinion of Bright by the time he's pulling off Mafty attacks? Does he view him as a cog in the machine or does he sympathize with the stresses Bright is placed under by the uncaring leadership?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Yeah I was more thinking about Mafty Hathaway, IMO you don't do that sort of thing when your dad is Bright Noa unless you've got some stuff going on

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

What's Hathaway's opinion of Bright by the time he's pulling off Mafty attacks? Does he view him as a cog in the machine or does he sympathize with the stresses Bright is placed under by the uncaring leadership?

Mafty is explicitly focused on the rich/high-status part of the federation, not the Federation as a whole. The rank and file are treated more sympathetically, particularly Kenneth. Bright actually makes comments in support of Mafty.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bright grew a mustache and it was so bad his son became a terrorist

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Interesting that he's sympathetic to guys like Kenneth when Kenneth is pretty ruthless and fully willing to beat confessions out of prisoners while his Davao garrison gives zero shits about collateral damage to civilians.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

mafty is just hathaway following in his dad's aeug footsteps

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Interesting that he's sympathetic to guys like Kenneth when Kenneth is pretty ruthless and fully willing to beat confessions out of prisoners while his Davao garrison gives zero shits about collateral damage to civilians.

Kenneth is explicitly someone who changes a fair bit over the course of Hathaway's Flash and ends up radicalized by the end.

Bright on the other hand is basically implied to become almost religious. The last thing we hear of him is that he's starting a restaurant because he wants to provide people with food and comfort and live a 'normal life', but in the back of his head he's concerned everything he experienced and learned would be forgotten and he thinks his outlook might shift, he might end up in politics, and 'become a second coming of Zeon Zum Deikun" and push for humanity to become Newtypes. (He also recognizes this might be seen as foolish and wouldn't get votes.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

mafty is just hathaway following in his dad's aeug footsteps

Not really at all. The AEUG were a semi renegade faction of the federation trying to wrest control of it back from the Titans politically and militarily, Mafty is a terrorist organization that only barely has a political goal and is mostly just lashing out and hoping they land enough of a statement and do enough damage they can shift the status quo.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tomato tomato

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One of the best things about Zeta is that AEUG was like exclusively pronounced phonetically, so a lot of times it sounds like they're on Moonbase Alpha

AE(io)UG

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Waffleman_ posted:

One of the best things about Zeta is that AEUG was like exclusively pronounced phonetically, so a lot of times it sounds like they're on Moonbase Alpha

AE(io)UG

My dad is going to kill me

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It doesn't get much play, but I bet the whole history of UC is different of Blex doesn't get assassinated. Man is one of the only high ranking feddies with both the will and power to make positive changes in the solar system.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chrome line posted:

The Federation really wishes he would not, so they keep refusing to give him a raise and hope that at some point he musters out.

Unfortunately for them, Bright is... too committed for his own good.

ImpAtom posted:

Kenneth is explicitly someone who changes a fair bit over the course of Hathaway's Flash and ends up radicalized by the end.

Bright on the other hand is basically implied to become almost religious. The last thing we hear of him is that he's starting a restaurant because he wants to provide people with food and comfort and live a 'normal life', but in the back of his head he's concerned everything he experienced and learned would be forgotten and he thinks his outlook might shift, he might end up in politics, and 'become a second coming of Zeon Zum Deikun" and push for humanity to become Newtypes. (He also recognizes this might be seen as foolish and wouldn't get votes.)

Guess he forgot what happened to Blex...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Guess he forgot what happened to Blex...

Bright's the Immortal Captain for a reason. Like Mach Bonin, even the author can't kill him.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if goku were hathaways dad he would have defeated the earth federation

Waffleman_ posted:

Between Edgy Unreal Engine Netflix Show

yeah but the gunpla looks sick

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Bright is every Japanese dad in the 80s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Bright's the Immortal Captain for a reason. Like Mach Bonin, even the author can't kill him.

So long as Tomino doesn't come back for another Gundam series and suddenly reveal that Letz and Kikka were actually buzzsaw demons the whole time to make up for a continuity error way back in 1980.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if bright wasn't working for a government that despises him, he spent most of his time in space. it's a long trip back to earth. even with a generous vacation allowance (which he probably didn't get), he definitely couldn't get back home very often.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gripweed posted:

Yeah things are bad enough when he’s there, imagine how many Gundams would get stolen if Bright wasn’t there.

Counterpoint: I can imagine a different Feddie captain just summarily executing Amuro, Camile, Judau etc like 3-4 eps into each of their series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DarthVeda00/status/1770435181431718201?t=83E0v5gNI64yK2G5KPm1Bw&s=19

Undefeated of the East vs the Cockatiel

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I called Bright a terrible husband because he literally says that in ZZ when he’s being tempted by Emary, but I’m glad we got to have some fun with him!

Today’s other matchup is Marida Cruz vs Uso Ewin! Definitely the inferior match, but still ripe for heated debate!
https://twitter.com/darthveda00/status/1770435165153640488

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I like Miorinne as much as anyone, but I gotta go for THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST MASTER ASIA.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Warmachine posted:

I like Miorinne as much as anyone, but I gotta go for THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST MASTER ASIA.

Yeah kinda feeling that way too. Either one winning is OK but I wanna see how far Master Asia can go

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m voting for Uso because all it takes for evil men to win (let any Unicorn character go farther) is for good men to do nothing (not vote against a Unicorn character).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unicorn has more good characters than V Gundam does.