Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

even DDD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't care for BBS.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hell yeah. Balloon spell combos and the nort refights ruled and zipping around the world with flows motion was cool.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 25, 2024

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
the kh ocs and lore are all epic and cool and I'm glad nomura is emphasizing it more and more

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
my only real Bravely Default 2 opinion is that I'm really glad they got Revo back for the soundtrack because ryo was not very good

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Chairman posted:

my only real Bravely Default 2 opinion is that I'm really glad they got Revo back for the soundtrack because ryo was not very good

It's really strange, too. Ryo/supercell is a talented music group but I guess they just can't do game music at all

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It was disappointing that Bravely Default 2 was worse than its predecessors but I still liked it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Bongo Bill posted:

It was disappointing that Bravely Default 2 was worse than its predecessors but I still liked it.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

a friend of mine told me he wants to play an rpg so i'm telling him all the best saga games to play

i just want him to become glimmerpilled like me

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45hd-3SeU9A

Another Eiyuden trailer

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Aw poo poo, I forgot how close this is to release.

I got a $70 rebate card for my tires that can't be cashed out, used for gas, or used for online bill pay, so I shoved it all into SteamBucks and bought Granblue Fantasy Relink. It's awesome, but I wish I'd pre-ordered Eiyuden.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think it's a shame that Cruella hasn't shown up in any Kingdom Hearts games yet. We collect the dalmations so often.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I think it's a shame that Cruella hasn't shown up in any Kingdom Hearts games yet. We collect the dalmations so often.

Cruella is a good guy now, her mom was murdered by dalmatians.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Wave of Dalmatians fight for KH4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
KILL 101 DALMATIANS

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would genuinely have been funny if Terra's plot had been nothing but Disney villains who got a sympathetic backstory. Malificent, Cruella, Hook, all just pals with Terra. (I don't care what the timeline of releases says.)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Meowywitch posted:

It's really strange, too. Ryo/supercell is a talented music group but I guess they just can't do game music at all

Honestly my biggest issue with Second's OST is that they should have taken away electric guitars away from them. Everytime I try to remember the soundtrack all my brain hears is endless electric guitars.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Chairman posted:

I was actually really disappointed by BD2's soundtrack, specifically because BD1's soundtrack is one of my all-time favorites (so I was super hyped to hear BD2's since Revo was doing it again). It's not bad by any means. It's actually quite good. But it's not nearly as memorable as BD1's.

Off the top of my head, I'm having trouble remembering any BD2 tracks, while I can instantly remember like 10-20 BD1 tracks.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wave of Dalmatians fight for KH4

I'm just imagining the reused Demon Tide/Demon Tower fight from III but it's now got white spots in the horde and laughing hysterically

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If Live Action remake Mulan was in Kingdom Hearts she'd also have her own Reaction Commands.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
max keeble's big move for kh4

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Willo567 posted:

max keeble's big move for kh4

I hope they put McGoogle in as a summon.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I was actually really disappointed by BD2's soundtrack, specifically because BD1's soundtrack is one of my all-time favorites (so I was super hyped to hear BD2's since Revo was doing it again). It's not bad by any means. It's actually quite good. But it's not nearly as memorable as BD1's.

Off the top of my head, I'm having trouble remembering any BD2 tracks, while I can instantly remember like 10-20 BD1 tracks.

I can remember a single one of BD1's tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNDmLA5a5zg

To be fair it's probably one of the best tracks in any RPG, though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ZCKaiser posted:

I can remember a single one of BD1's tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNDmLA5a5zg

To be fair it's probably one of the best tracks in any RPG, though.

That track does go hard.

Serpent Devouring the Horizon is great too, but somehow less memorable than That Person's Name Is

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Bravely Default live concert was great - https://youtu.be/ZDrp0k-11lM?si=dqWkec9vS2mNH_TG

Edit: at least one of the songs (at 45:41, not sure how to do timestamps on the phone) is sung by the same lady who sang Suteki Da Ne from FFX

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 19, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I can't imagine forgetting the special move themes from BD1, considering how often you should (probably!) hear them. There is a reason why the true final boss theme does a very quick medley of them, it's a nice moment of encouragement.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk_DbDVyEwU

they want shady
May 11, 2013
The whole soundrtack's just very good in general. As memorable as all the big battle themes are there's good stuff everywhere.

My favorite song from that game is actually a town theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV1qZAz5fIY

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ speak of the devil, this is exactly the one I'm talking about. The vocal version is at the timestamp below in the concert video I thinked.

The interesting thing from the concert is realizing that nearly every significant track in the game has a vocal version, not just stuff like that. The "Luxendarc Travelogue" part is a medley of the various city themes. Suteki Da Ne lady (RIKKI) also does the flower town song in that at around 13:23 (forget the name of the actual town, but the one with the terrible Red Mage guy).

Edit: the Ringabel song ("Love's Vagrant" at 1:19:42) from that concert also owns

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 19, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Defaultly Brave is probably next on my list once I get around to getting the true ending of Octopath Traveler 2

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ speak of the devil, this is exactly the one I'm talking about. The vocal version is at the timestamp below in the concert video I thinked.

The interesting thing from the concert is realizing that nearly every significant track in the game has a vocal version, not just stuff like that. The "Luxendarc Travelogue" part is a medley of the various city themes. Suteki Da Ne lady (RIKKI) also does the flower town song in that at around 13:23 (forget the name of the actual town, but the one with the terrible Red Mage guy).

The vocal version of That Person's Name Is is cool cause the lyrics actually tell you who That Person Is.

It's fear, the song is about how you can achieve true strength and bravery by overcoming fear with your friends.

TBF BD II also has a good OST. A bit unfair to compare cause 1 has a stellar OST all around, but the Asterisk themes are cool and I like how they all share the same opening but then shift based on how menacing the boss is.

EDIT: Also I decided to get In Stars and Time after seeing Ibram Gaunt's opinion and after the slow start I find myself actually enjoying it! Combat has a bit of depth despite being very RPG Maker-ish. That said, I do have an important, massive, urgent early game question.

Is there something to get by endlessly dying to the banana? I did it at first to do the daydreaming woman's dialogue but now I'm curious how deep the rabbit hole of embarrassment goes.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 19, 2024

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Finally got around to finishing Small Saga... it's great! Solid A game, I enjoyed it as much as the Mario RPG remake. For different reasons, but it was still a delightful trip all the way through, and I'd pick up another game by Darya Noghani sight unseen at this point.

If I was going to pick out one thing I particularly liked, it would be the way they consistently gave me memorable, charismatic, interesting villains. With a game as unapologetically political as Small Saga, I was expecting a majority of the rodent fascists to be punching bag caricatures, but they went to some extra effort to show you why most of the baddies think the way they do. And that makes it even more satisfying when you get to confront them!

I found Small Saga efficiently written, but still willing to make swerves and detours if it can give you something cool along the way. Felt like Small Saga really respected my time. Plus, the way things resolve in the end felt just about perfect. If we get a sequel, it could go all sorts of fascinating places. If we don't, it's a lot of fun just having that hypothetical what if space to think about.

EDIT: Also has an absolutely fantastic one-off boss theme towards the end, since that's trending atm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

Finally got around to finishing Small Saga... it's great! Solid A game, I enjoyed it as much as the Mario RPG remake. For different reasons, but it was still a delightful trip all the way through, and I'd pick up another game by Darya Noghani sight unseen at this point.

If I was going to pick out one thing I particularly liked, it would be the way they consistently gave me memorable, charismatic, interesting villains. With a game as unapologetically political as Small Saga, I was expecting a majority of the rodent fascists to be punching bag caricatures, but they went to some extra effort to show you why most of the baddies think the way they do. And that makes it even more satisfying when you get to confront them!

I found Small Saga efficiently written, but still willing to make swerves and detours if it can give you something cool along the way. Felt like Small Saga really respected my time. Plus, the way things resolve in the end felt just about perfect. If we get a sequel, it could go all sorts of fascinating places. If we don't, it's a lot of fun just having that hypothetical what if space to think about.

EDIT: Also has an absolutely fantastic one-off boss theme towards the end, since that's trending atm

The Anthropocene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25YGb1JX9bQ

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

EDIT: Also I decided to get In Stars and Time after seeing Ibram Gaunt's opinion and after the slow start I find myself actually enjoying it! Combat has a bit of depth despite being very RPG Maker-ish. That said, I do have an important, massive, urgent early game question.

Is there something to get by endlessly dying to the banana? I did it at first to do the daydreaming woman's dialogue but now I'm curious how deep the rabbit hole of embarrassment goes.

It's pretty much just utility; if you want to see a town thing that iterates, or if you want to skip ahead after something forcibly sends you back to the start of the loop. There's some variation with that and all the other looping messages, but it's generally more tied to story progress than number of deaths.

IIRC the only specific death with content tied to doing it over and over is the time stop bubbles in the Castle; it eventually unlocks a conversation with Loop.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Yep, that was the standout... though I might mention a few others, now that I see how big the soundtrack actually is. It's not just the one setpiece fight and the skyrim bard style songs. Anthropocene hits much harder when you get the full context of what's going on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

Yep, that was the standout... though I might mention a few others, now that I see how big the soundtrack actually is. It's not just the one setpiece fight and the skyrim bard style songs. Anthropocene hits much harder when you get the full context of what's going on.

Yeah, it's a crazy huge soundtrack that builds upon itself. It's genuinely excellent overall and while I think Anthropocene is great, a lot of the songs work best with the gameplay/audio context around them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The vocal version of That Person's Name Is is cool cause the lyrics actually tell you who That Person Is.

It's fear, the song is about how you can achieve true strength and bravery by overcoming fear with your friends.

I also like the character songs because that sort of cheesy stuff is great (and at least Tiz's and Ringabel's are directly written from the characters' perspective - forget if the same applies to Agnes' and Edea's). "You Are My Hope" (Tiz's theme) actually makes me like Tiz more because it's basically putting to song how much he cares about Agnes and wants to be a hero for her (even if the Tiz/Agnes romance isn't very interesting in the game itself). "Tiz wants to support Agnes" is also more compelling to me than just a generic desire to save the world.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

related videos on this are how I learned that you can actually win the final fight against Leo by breaking all of his swords instead, which leads to you sparing him and a bunch of alternate dialogue in the fight/epilogue?

how have I beaten this game multiple times and am still discovering new things about it

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Nick Buntline posted:

related videos on this are how I learned that you can actually win the final fight against Leo by breaking all of his swords instead, which leads to you sparing him and a bunch of alternate dialogue in the fight/epilogue?

how have I beaten this game multiple times and am still discovering new things about it

what the gently caress

I didn't mess around much in that fight since it's one of the few battles in the game where you have a real chance of losing; once I figured out the mechanics and what I was supposed to do, I just finished it as soon as possible. Guess I should have messed around a little bit more.

watching that version of the fight now and marvelling at the very specific energy it takes to make a game where a talking mouse makes an F/SN reference and it feels totally natural

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Small Saga needed to exist, we needed a not!NIMH/Redwall RPG.