Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

My soul: My Arisen should have a goth gf goblin best friend.

This is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://x.com/AllFatherMedia/status/1769388034380677574?s=20

pew pew pew

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I saw someone earlier in the thread say that inclinations cant be changed in 2, is there a source for that or are people just assuming because its something you select alongside the voice?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Clever Spambot posted:

I saw someone earlier in the thread say that inclinations cant be changed in 2, is there a source for that or are people just assuming because its something you select alongside the voice?

I really doubt that's the case, in the first game you could have your pawn just sit in a chair at the inn and change their inclinations that way.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Clever Spambot posted:

There is literally an item in the deluxe edition that is available in game normally that can let you change inclinations. Wherever you heard that is wrong.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Clever Spambot posted:

Maybe they were talking about how the voice options are linked to the selectable inclination in the character creator?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Yeah maybe i misinterpreted something I saw, either way thanks for the heads up!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

They better have readily available consumables or a tactic like 'there's a core/segment that can be smashed to kill it" if they're gonna throw in the dumbest of d&disms like relatively common physical resistance or immunity.

DD1 was great about making martial classes really fun. "lol this is immune to your attacks" is anti-fun.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Preload up on PS5, 64.4GB

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

They better have readily available consumables or a tactic like 'there's a core/segment that can be smashed to kill it" if they're gonna throw in the dumbest of d&disms like relatively common physical resistance or immunity.

DD1 was great about making martial classes really fun. "lol this is immune to your attacks" is anti-fun.

Thief and Archer have already shown elemental attacks, so it is mostly a matter of does Fighter/Warrior have some and have one equipped when you run into them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Making a good lookalike is hard! Here's Approximately Alan

Random arisen I made before I decided on a pawn, might try to make a Saga arisen although I've already spent a few hours goofing around in the editor this week and learned I am not on the same level as the people making these

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Coolness Averted posted:

DD1 had your pawns be really good about buffing your weapons with magic and I plan to make mine good at it again if I can

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I made this guy and I feel pretty happy about how it came out. Now I wish I had made him my main pawn instead of my arisen because I don't usually do gimmick characters like that

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nuebot posted:

DD1 had your pawns be really good about buffing your weapons with magic and I plan to make mine good at it again if I can

Yeah and the game had multiple ways to take down most foes. I don't see them whiffing on something like that after they did it right the first time. I vaguely recall the haunted forest being the one area where you had to fight stuff immune to physical in the main story, but the area was also meant to be menacing and you could sneak and run to avoid the wraiths.

I still want DD's combat style with actual multiplayer, but I understand some limit to the scope and improved pawn AI can go a long way to shoring that up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
The character creator is good, but they really need an option to change the mouth shape. Right now it's tied to the head shape so you can't just switch it without loving everything else up. It was an option in DD1, wonder why they walked that back.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It's almost certainly because these are scans of real people they used as bases. Do you think they would really bother changing nipple size and position if it wasn't baked in?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

It's almost certainly because these are scans of real people they used as bases. Do you think they would really bother changing nipple size and position if it wasn't baked in?

...What?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Go to a male character, zoom out and start changing the skin.

:edit:

I just noticed Quixel Megascans is one of the credits during the startup.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 20, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

The character creator is good, but they really need an option to change the mouth shape. Right now it's tied to the head shape so you can't just switch it without loving everything else up. It was an option in DD1, wonder why they walked that back.

yeah, the base head shape seems to affect a bunch of things but it's really hard to tell which one to pick upfront without being able to see how the choices will compare with a certain hairstyle etc. honestly that makes it harder to use than some of the other editors I've seen although it's obviously been shown to be capable of some really good stuff by the people who figured out the right base options to use.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i wish team ninja would just loan out the ninja engine's character creator because it's got a truly excellent degree of customization, and you'd only need to uncap a few sliders to let people make horrific abominations too

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Immune only if you only have fighters

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I made Charles Barkley already
No idea where I can host it's image

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

"Sorry, X enemy type is completely immune to Y damage type because gently caress you we just decided it sounds neat and/or interesting in theory" is such an awful mechanic that feels like it was made by people who aren't in tune with the fact that they're making a video game that is supposed to be a fun experience for players able to freely choose from a variety of classes, some of whom can only reliably deal one damage type.

At most, you can make some enemies resistant to certain kinds of damage, but they should never be outright immune, otherwise the player can pretty quickly get themselves into fail states they're literally unaware of until well beyond any reasonable opportunity to correct the issue, like if you get to the end of a long dungeon and there's some [your-party's-damage-type] immune boss you cannot progress beyond. It's an almost textbook bad design pitfall that any designer who has been doing this for more than 5 minutes should be very aware of.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 20, 2024

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like how we've literally seen more than a multitude of different ways in which different vocations can buff themselves and others with different damage types which will make things like that a complete non-issue and yet there's still people acting like the sky is falling and that the devs just apparently didn't even consider thinking about this for all of one moment for all of the years of development time

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
And that is the first game done and dusted. That certainly was an ending.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

like if you get to the end of a long dungeon and there's some [your-party's-damage-type] immune boss you cannot progress beyond

this did not happen a single time in the first game, you're making up scenarios to get mad at

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Even if you're dumb enough to make a party of 4 of the same class with no variation in their skills to try to cover your bases, there's still consumables and interactables in the environment or that you can bring with you to compensate for your incredibly dumb decisions.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You can just choose to not play a game if it has a bunch of poo poo you don't like in it. I liked dd1 and loved how weird and idiosyncratic it was, and I'm excited to get more of that instead of some focus tested glop that tries to please everyone and ends up satisfying nobody

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
the closest i ever came to something like that was attempting a solo mage playthrough and getting to the golem in the canyon, but i just rolled up my extremely long flowing sleeves and beat it to death with my bare hands. and forgot i can't damage the floating ones so i just ran away afterwards

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Professor Beetus posted:

You can just choose to not play a game if it has a bunch of poo poo you don't like in it. I liked dd1 and loved how weird and idiosyncratic it was, and I'm excited to get more of that instead of some focus tested glop that tries to please everyone and ends up satisfying nobody

Dragons Dogma felt like a game where the developers had no idea how to make an RPG. I mean that in a mostly non-derogatory way, in that it allowed them to take some wild swings. Not all of them hit but when they do, they are haymakers.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Professor Beetus posted:

:emptyquote:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

this did not happen a single time in the first game, you're making up scenarios to get mad at

The tweet I literally just quoted talks about how at least one enemy type in DD2 will be immune to entire damage types. I don't think it's that much of an insane stretch to extrapolate that out by a degree and see the possibility of it happening in crucial places.

It's just as absurd to give the devs the complete benefit of the doubt and assume that even though we know damage type immunity is in the game, that it couldn't possibly be implemented in a way we wouldn't personally like.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

GreatGreen posted:

The tweet I literally just quoted talks about how at least one enemy type in DD2 will be immune to entire damage types. I don't think it's that much of an insane stretch to extrapolate that out by a degree and see the possibility of it happening in crucial places.

It's just as absurd to give the devs the complete benefit of the doubt and assume that even though we know damage type immunity is in the game, that it couldn't possibly be implemented in a way we wouldn't personally like.

If your party only does one type of damage, that is a conscious choice you made and you deserve to be punished for it because it's a loving stupid choice to make.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

"you can only kill X enemy with Y" is a tactically interesting obstacle in a game with total party control but mostly comes across as an irritating D&D throwback in a game where you're potentially relying on a robot to hit the right node in its behaviour tree for you to progress

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I did not watch any of the story trailers for DD2 because I was still making my way through the first game, but now I think I will just go into it as blind as possible, even though I beat it just now.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Can we stop the "well if you don't like it, you can leave it" sentiment please? This is a discussion forum where we talk about video games. I'm voicing some concern over issues I could potentially see appearing down the road given the limited info we have. Maybe I'm completely wrong about all of it, maybe I'm not.

I'm going to buy the game because it looks awesome, and it probably will be awesome overall, but that doesn't mean every single thing in the game is going to be 100% perfect, masterful design. In fact part of the reason the first game was charming was because it was so janky and weird about so many things. But I think there's a fine line between good janky and bad janky, and I just like talking about it, even if some of that talk isn't lavish praise, and seeing what other people think. And that's ok.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 20, 2024

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

GreatGreen posted:

I'm voicing some concern over issues I could potentially see happening down the road given the limited info we have.

This is also known as

Thumbtacks posted:

making up scenarios to get mad at

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You could also...just walk away from the thing you can't kill?
The game is relatively slow and the one time I couldn't reasonably kill something in DD1, I just walked away and came back later.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mr. Baps posted:

Trickster looks cool but it seems like it's going to depend really heavily on how competent pawns are, both in general and the particular crew you have. I want to try it out but not as much as I want to try Spearhand, or Warrior, or Sorcerer, or...

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Mr. Baps posted:

Trickster looks cool but it seems like it's going to depend really heavily on how competent pawns are, both in general and the particular crew you have. I want to try it out but not as much as I want to try Spearhand, or Warrior, or Sorcerer, or...

apparently pawns are really good now and have excellent AI