Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6kmG-abJFU See? No Dark Souls. Get hosed losers. Yes I know but I am not letting that get in the way of posting this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Unpopular opinion: I kind of prefer multiplayer games these days

People are more interesting than computers

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i suppose an important caveat is that I've carefully curated a set of people I actually like to play games with

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I don't really play games online because there's too many people that are painfully interesting.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

HOW IN THE gently caress ARE WE ON DARK SOULS AGAIN?

Nice Van My Man posted:

Edit: It's god drat William Henry Hairytaint's fault he knows Dark Souls is like catnip to this thread and he keeps taunting us with it. Even I'm getting sick of Dark Souls.

sorry I'll stop posting my thoughts on them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

credburn posted:

I really liked Defiance but other than that the only Legacy of Kain game I played was Soul Reaver and what I remember from that game is:

Cool jawless soul-vacuum
Moving between worlds to solve puzzles
Block puzzles
BLOCK PUZZLES
BLOCK loving PUZZLES
loving BLOCK loving PUZZLES

Tomb Raider cursed us for a long time.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think I figured it out. Dark Souls looks like something I could do while actual hard games do not. SC2, schmups, DDR, fighting games all games I won't ever "get gud" at. Dark Souls? Yeah I could beat that.

MSPain posted:

I've always been more a fan of multiplayer games, but the pickings are slim these days.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 20, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Don't cave to the haters, your dark souls journal is honestly the best poo poo ITT

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

credburn posted:

I really liked Defiance but other than that the only Legacy of Kain game I played was Soul Reaver and what I remember from that game is:

Cool jawless soul-vacuum
Block puzzles
BLOCK PUZZLES
BLOCK loving PUZZLES
one of the things hardest hit by soul reaver's rushed development was the puzzle design. at a certain point they threw up their hands and just resigned themselves to inserting generic block puzzle segments.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

Unpopular opinion: "Git gud" is a catchphrase gamers use to deflect criticism of a game, and anyone who uses it unironically is not worth taking seriously.

Having said that, I liked Demon's Souls.

I have never once seen it used that way, so sure, you got it bud

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Video games have created such a huge base of assumed knowledge that I feel like it's genuinely difficult, sometimes impossible, for people who don't already play games to get into them.

I like video games, but people who don't play games much or at all are faced with a giant wall of what they're assumed to already know, it's kind of nuts. Whenever I've met someone who hasn't really touched games I don't blame them for not wanting to start. That poo poo can be nigh impenetrable.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

My dad has a math degree but he grew up extremely poor and didn't even have a home with electricity until he was 28 so he can easily do really complicated math problems and has the smarts, resilience and adaptability to pull himself out of said extreme poverty, but has always found video games even in their most basic forms completely impenetrable to wrap his head around.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

HOW IN THE gently caress ARE WE ON DARK SOULS AGAIN?

I would really like it if this thread schismed into two threads, one in which all mention of Demon's/Dark Souls, Sekiro, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring is strictly forbidden, and one for unpopular opinions regarding those specific games only.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Video games have created such a huge base of assumed knowledge that I feel like it's genuinely difficult, sometimes impossible, for people who don't already play games to get into them.

I like video games, but people who don't play games much or at all are faced with a giant wall of what they're assumed to already know, it's kind of nuts. Whenever I've met someone who hasn't really touched games I don't blame them for not wanting to start. That poo poo can be nigh impenetrable.

Yet children regularly master them to a degree most video games playing adults cannot match. I get what you're saying and not every game is accessible to everybody especially out of the blue. It's the only art medium that requires constant input from the viewer who is also an active participant in making that art what it is. It'll always be harder to get into than anything else because nothing else asks so much from you. I don't even need to look at TV shows or movies the whole time to watch them.

However, there are also a ton of videogames and many aimed specifically at people who don't play games or aren't good at skilled activities. Some games are easy enough other animals can learn to play them, others even experience players barely know what's going on without a guide.

I bet there a to of people who "aren't into videogames" but play a videogame really often on their phones.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Maybe people who don't like videogames just need to git gud.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Moon Monster posted:

When I was in middle school I had a friend whose mom made him build his Ragnarok Online character with even points in every stat because it adhered to buddhist principles. So uh, I guess you could also gently caress up that way.

this was actually the meta PVP build in dark souls 2 at launch

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

MSPain posted:

i suppose an important caveat is that I've carefully curated a set of people I actually like to play games with

I think a big source of the disenchantment a lot of people now have with multiplayer games is that modern games actively try and prevent you from doing this. I remember in the early days how you would join a lobby, play a few games with the same people, and maybe build a rapport with someone and build a friends list. Now everything is one-and-done matchmaking so anonymous you might as well be playing with bots. Most games now have no way to just start a lobby and let people join because they saw it had a neat custom game type.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6kmG-abJFU See? No Dark Souls. Get hosed losers. Yes I know but I am not letting that get in the way of posting this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb5ev2Dp4I0

Why be a gamer...when you can be a gamer BOSS

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

galagazombie posted:

I think a big source of the disenchantment a lot of people now have with multiplayer games is that modern games actively try and prevent you from doing this. I remember in the early days how you would join a lobby, play a few games with the same people, and maybe build a rapport with someone and build a friends list. Now everything is one-and-done matchmaking so anonymous you might as well be playing with bots. Most games now have no way to just start a lobby and let people join because they saw it had a neat custom game type.

I don't think matchmaking is the problem as much as inability to make custom servers yourself. There's no reason a game can't have a giant quickplay button as well as a server browser thingy.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

I would really like it if this thread schismed into two threads, one in which all mention of Demon's/Dark Souls, Sekiro, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring is strictly forbidden, and one for unpopular opinions regarding those specific games only.

Yea but tough poo poo (aka dark souls)

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

galagazombie posted:

My interest in online gaming definitely dropped around the time matchmaking became the norm. Then again there was a post in one of the other gaming threads about people getting really hostile about not being perfect at Left 4 Dead when they tried to pick it up again so there's two sides to the regular server coin. I felt like even if you didn't really know them, people just were much friendlier when you were going to the same handful of servers every day and playing mostly the same people every day.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

MSPain posted:

im just the opposite these days. some times ill try to get into whatever hot new multiplayer game is out but its so easy to fall behind the curve if your not playing right from the start. like recently tried to get into Helldivers 2 because I thought it looked interesting but since im a few weeks behind I just get yelled at by sweatlords who have been putting in 8 hour shifts since release which I really dont feel like spending my evenings pushing thru in order to git gud.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

credburn posted:

Cool jawless soul-vacuum
Block puzzles
BLOCK PUZZLES
BLOCK loving PUZZLES

I knew there was a repressed memory stopping me from replaying that game. Thank god the era of box puzzles is over.

You should be allowed to post since you're playing it but everyone else should only be able to answer questions directly asked by you about Dark Souls.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dsf posted:

im just the opposite these days. some times ill try to get into whatever hot new multiplayer game is out but its so easy to fall behind the curve if your not playing right from the start. like recently tried to get into Helldivers 2 because I thought it looked interesting but since im a few weeks behind I just get yelled at by sweatlords who have been putting in 8 hour shifts since release which I really dont feel like spending my evenings pushing thru in order to git gud.

Helldivers 2 is decent fun if you play on regular difficulty but if you aren't the sort of person who just has to play on increasing levels of difficulty until you live in a near constant state of heart tremors trying to complete the same missions you've already done several hundred times on proc-gen levels it doesn't have a lot of holding power.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm aggressively contact avoidant so multiplayer games don't appeal to me much at all anymore unless it's something like Tarkov where all I have to do is shoot everybody. But even if that weren't the case, my biggest problem with them is how long the shelf life is likely to be. A lot of poo poo just doesn't endure.

Devils Affricate posted:

Don't cave to the haters, your dark souls journal is honestly the best poo poo ITT

np I wasn't serious

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Duck and Cover posted:

I've always been more a fan of multiplayer games, but the pickings are slim these days.

Helldivers 2

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The best thing about Soul Reaver was a certain enemy that when killed made a noise like "OHHAAWWWWWWW" like they were totally bummed out you killed them and it was funny every time.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I liked the skeletons in Dungeon Keeper 2 because they'd laugh hysterically while they were fighting (secondary shoutout to EQ skellies) and if you picked them up with the hand and just let them dangle they'd say "help?"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That rules, the best thing in life is a cackling and laughing skeleton I should play Dungeon Keepers 2

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb5ev2Dp4I0

Why be a gamer...when you can be a gamer BOSS

Raptor Hitler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb5ev2Dp4I0&t=17s

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 20, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Nice Van My Man posted:

Thank god the era of box puzzles is over.

You obviously haven't played the new Jedi games

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Vic posted:

I don't think matchmaking is the problem as much as inability to make custom servers yourself. There's no reason a game can't have a giant quickplay button as well as a server browser thingy.

I like matchmaking when it makes sense, but it's the primary option for a lot of people because it's the easiest. No need to sift through a list of servers, evaluating player counts or whatever mods might be installed.

Building server communities takes a lot more effort if 90% of players are randomly dropping in to play.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Nice Van My Man posted:

I knew there was a repressed memory stopping me from replaying that game. Thank god the era of box puzzles is over.

You should be allowed to post since you're playing it but everyone else should only be able to answer questions directly asked by you about Dark Souls.

I'm into that idea.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Redezga posted:

My interest in online gaming definitely dropped around the time matchmaking became the norm. Then again there was a post in one of the other gaming threads about people getting really hostile about not being perfect at Left 4 Dead when they tried to pick it up again so there's two sides to the regular server coin. I felt like even if you didn't really know them, people just were much friendlier when you were going to the same handful of servers every day and playing mostly the same people every day.

I think matchmaking directly fosters that kind of mindset though. Sure there were always tryhards, but having every single game affect ranking/progression and thus be “important”, and other players being reduced to interchangeable cogs whose only utility in making your team win rather than anything about being fun to play with, basically molds people into tryhards.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vic posted:

tf2 tried both at once and the new player population in custom servers really cratered after they added the quickplay button. a lot of server communities just died

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

the Painted World is kind of a bummer this time around ain't it :smithicide:

where is Priscilla, did I do this I'm sorry I killed you back then

edit: omg the crow quills

William Henry Hairytaint fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 20, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

tf2 tried both at once and the new player population in custom servers really cratered after they added the quickplay button. a lot of server communities just died

mario kart map shall live on in our hearts

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BF1 has both quickplay and a server browser on xbox, but IDK if that is a good example because neither seem to work very well

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

One of the reasons I dropped off Destiny is because it didn't have matchmaking for raids (aka the coolest content that the developers obviously cared the most about) and I didn't care enough to put forth the effort to maintain a spot in a good raid group. On the other hand based on the few times I tried a third party matchmaker they would have had to massively dumb things down to make them completable by a group of randos, so who can say what's right or wrong :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

the Painted World is kind of a bummer this time around ain't it :smithicide:

where is Priscilla, did I do this I'm sorry I killed you back then

edit: omg the crow quills

I think it was the first time too? Buncha soldier boys all smushed up into a wad fighting some kind of cursed art war with no end, rotting dragons around, and IIRC one of the saddest backstories for a boss you can't even see