Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Rinkles posted:

Pretty vague, but this is what Gamespot had to say about PC performance:

The most noticeable misstep derives from Dragon's Dogma 2's performance on PC. My current rig exceeds the recommended specifications (aside from the CPU),

So he doesn't have a good enough CPU and he's shocked that he's CPU bound in a game with specs that make clear it's CPU heavy?

Game journalism.

Jack Trades posted:

And there were a bunch of people jumping on me for pointing out that system requirements for PC are weirdly high.
I hate being proven right.

They aren't particularly high, they just want you to have an actually modern CPU and some people can't get past actually needing to upgrade CPU and RAM anymore.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a shame that performance seems to be so poor. The game looks good, but not so good they should be struggling. I know optimizing performance for games isn't trivial, but it's a bummer that it'll likely be a glaring blemish on an otherwise great game.

K8.0 posted:

So he doesn't have a good enough CPU and he's shocked that he's CPU bound in a game with specs that make clear it's CPU heavy?

Game journalism.

lol yeah. "I meet the recommended requirements except for this one really important component!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also pawns will spend a shocking amount of their time talking about how horny you are to people who hire them. Like I swear every other Pawn I got was like "Strangely my master only hires female pawns" or "My Master has many visitors to their private chambers but never the same one twice!"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vintersorg posted:

Can you sorta just stumble through DD1? I am playing through it on PS5 since its including in the middle tier and just sorta wacking my way through things. Missing lock on after being conditioned on it for so long.

Yeah, there are a few minor sidestory details that you might miss depending on if you let certain NPCs die or choices you won't get to make if you advance the story without stumbling onto sidequests, but you can 100% beat the main game with very little difficulty. The game is actually pretty short, but has some neat NG+ ad postgame content that builds on details.

Two spoilers related to mechanics in DD1 if you wanna go in blind.
1. This is just a metagame-y under the hood thing, so only read it if you plan to play the game exactly once, but I'll still try to be vague At one point the dragon will kidnap 'your beloved' which is the NPC with the most affection for you. Doing quests for them, gifting, and talking to an NPC is what raises this. Certain NPCs go away after certain points or will die based on your choices, so if you really want to have a specific character be your beloved double check your last shot for that. This is also why there are memes about certain seemingly random characters being the Arisen's true love.

2. The actual time some design stuff converges in a bad way that could lock you into a gameover is (vague version) When you'll be summoned back to the main city late in the story due to a surprise attack. Make sure to manual save before you enter the gates or don't teleport inside there when that happens.
(Specific version): a cockatrice is part of an attack on the lower ward, this may be the first time you encounter the petrification status effect which after a few ticks is an automatic death. Only a few specific items or late progression spells remove this and not the generic clear debuffs one.

In general the game is good about signposting points of no return, or if something big storywise will happen though. The worst you'll usually be left with is not getting to see some extra dialogue or maybe a spare npc or merchant is gone for that playthrough.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 20, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mystic Spearhand is a class designed just for me, personally, and is proof that Capcom loves me

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Every loving review mentions a griffon swooping in and the reviewer being surprised. Let me tell you who isn't going to be surprised... it's me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Game journalism.

They aren't particularly high, they just want you to have an actually modern CPU and some people can't get past actually needing to upgrade CPU and RAM anymore.

You're full of poo poo.

DLSS Balanced on 4K is slightly higher resolution than 1080p.

5800X3D is the 10th best gaming CPU right now.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 20, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

George Sex - REAL posted:

Every loving review mentions a griffon swooping in and the reviewer being surprised. Let me tell you who isn't going to be surprised... it's me

jokes on you when you least expect it that thing is going to come murder you

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Also pawns will spend a shocking amount of their time talking about how horny you are to people who hire them. Like I swear every other Pawn I got was like "Strangely my master only hires female pawns" or "My Master has many visitors to their private chambers but never the same one twice!"

drat, what inclination do I need to put on my pawns to keep them from spilling all my tea??

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

s1ppycup posted:

drat, what inclination do I need to put on my pawns to keep them from spilling all my tea??

drat, what inclination do I need to put on my pawns to make them talk more about how good I am with the ladies?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

drat, what inclination do I need to put on my pawns to make them talk more about how good I am with the ladies?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
My cat is gonna be telling everyone about all the buff men I hire.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Put a few reviews at the top of OP for people looking

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

"My Master seems to really enjoy the court jesters routine. They have a private showing nightly."

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Austin likes the game:

https://remapradio.com/articles/four-thoughts-on-dragons-dogma/

quote:

If there is one thing that game designers are going to talk about in their weekly design team meetings, or that YouTube game critics are going to make videos about, it’s going to be about the, frankly, fearless decision to make so many open ended, unguided quests in this game. It will be like the year Dark Souls hit big, except instead of saying ‘look at how this game trusts the player to tackle difficult combat challenges,’ they will be saying ‘look at how this game trusts the player to engage with its narrative systems.’

It’s cool and, frankly, it’s something I did not expect from this game at all.

We are so loving back.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
From PC Gamer

Capcom's recommended hardware requirements should really be viewed as the absolute minimum, and ideally you’re going to need a 12th Gen Intel Core or Ryzen 5000-series or better CPU.

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/dragons-dogma-2-performance-analysis/

Bad 1% lows with a 5600X in the city

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So yeah, hope you got a modern CPU.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

You're full of poo poo.

DLSS Balanced on 4K is slightly higher resolution than 1080p.

5800X3D is the 10th best gaming CPU right now.

1. I didn't say it would be easy to run at high frame rates, I said the requirements aren't particularly high, which is true.
2. A 5800X3D may not be a particulary great CPU for this game. It's great for games that tightly loop on a small dataset, which probably isn't what's going on here.
3. Memory speed and timings are always a fairly big deal in open world games, especially more demanding ones, and is not clear what they used. If it's 3000mhz with mediocre timings, that may be a significant factor in their particular performance.

We'll find out more soon enough.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

loving hell. I just upgraded my machine for this game specifically and it looks like I still won't be able to achieve 1080p/60fps.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Digital foundry showed it dropping into the 20s on PS5 hardware which isn’t a moving target. it’s just unoptimized.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rinkles posted:

From PC Gamer

Capcom's recommended hardware requirements should really be viewed as the absolute minimum, and ideally you’re going to need a 12th Gen Intel Core or Ryzen 5000-series or better CPU.

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/dragons-dogma-2-performance-analysis/

Bad 1% lows with a 5600X in the city

lol i cant imagine any reason a 2024 game should be getting 33 fps 1% lows at 1080 with NO raytracing using a i7-14700K and 4070 Ti, that's just poo poo programming with zero concern for framerates.

like you'd need the most immersive and live-sim'd physics and NPC AI that any action-rpg/rpg/souls game has ever had to justify that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
good, they are bringing back the OG Dragon's dogma experience.

Thank you Itsuno for honoring the legacy of this game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Owl Inspector posted:

Digital foundry showed it dropping into the 20s on PS5 hardware which isn’t a moving target. it’s just unoptimized.
Since there's no FPS cap option, there's going to be some wild rear end swings.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dexo posted:

good, they are bringing back the OG Dragon's dogma experience.

Thank you Itsuno for honoring the legacy of this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have an AMD 7800x3D, and RTX 4070Ti, so i'm not worried about performance. Still no preload on Steam. :(

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

I like the second hairstyle the best of that bunch. It keeps the kind of fun messy look without being too retro feeling.

Draven posted:

I like number 2 personally.

Okay, well, it seems people like option 2. I can see why, it's straightforward and relatively short without being outright tomboyish. That narrows it down to either 2 or 3 for me, I think 1 is just too retro in an indistinct way. With 3 I don't think the braid is strictly necessary, but I do like the side bangs, I've always been a Zooey Deschanel fan.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So yeah, hope you got a modern CPU.

I have an RTX3070, but only a i5 8400, so I either need to upgrade (Hell, need to upgrade the motherboard too at this point, so I may as well make a new machine altogether), or just bite the bullet with the PS5 version.

Truth be told I was thinking about making a new build but I think I may just go with the latter.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Slammed the pre-order button for the PS5 once the reviews dropped. I am so ready for this game.

Like everyone and their dog I will be going Mystic Spearhead, but I cannot decide if I want an archer or trickster companion.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i played the original dragons domgas at sub 30fps ill play the new one at that too.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to the day 1 mod to re-add the main menu music

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I should note on the PS5 version it was swiiiiiiiings. Sometimes it ran smooth, sometimes it was jerky and sometimes it became a slideshow and it wasn't super consistent what caused it. I had a bad slowdown just walking around the world and then perfectly smooth in the middle of a battle between a drake and an ogre.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I won’t have the last part I need to upgrade to a ryzen 7 7800x3d for a few more days so I’ll be stuck with my old i7-8700 a bit longer, guess I’ll report how much of a difference the change in CPU makes.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Yeah, I dunno if I should refund my Steam purchase and pick it up on PS5, because I'm on a Ryzen 5 3600 and and RTX 2070. But also I've never had an issue playing games at 30fps and I feel like some posts go apocalyptic if a game baby toes down to 59.

Guess best I can do is slap together a guy in the DRAGONS DOGMA 2 CHARACTER CREATION AND STORAGE and just rush past all the intro cutscenes as fast as I can tomorrow.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Listen I don't want to be selfish but will this run well on my i5-12600K

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

loving hell. I just upgraded my machine for this game specifically and it looks like I still won't be able to achieve 1080p/60fps.

Worth noting that it's specifically the cities that are loving up everyone's CPUs. It seems to perform reasonably outside the cities. I don't know how much time you spend in cities vs outside, but it could be that you'll still have a good experience most of the time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Listen I don't want to be selfish but will this run well on my i5-12600K

Apparently not, it doesn't run well on anything. Xbox Series X performance makes it the preferred console to play if you are going to play the console version. PS5 performance is the 2nd weakest, followed by Series S.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Vitamean posted:

Yeah, I dunno if I should refund my Steam purchase and pick it up on PS5, because I'm on a Ryzen 5 3600 and and RTX 2070. But also I've never had an issue playing games at 30fps and I feel like some posts go apocalyptic if a game baby toes down to 59.

Guess best I can do is slap together a guy in the DRAGONS DOGMA 2 CHARACTER CREATION AND STORAGE and just rush past all the intro cutscenes as fast as I can tomorrow.

For hardware like this, you are on the edge case. Your CPU is generally faster than the PS5, and you have lower memory latency, but potentially a lot less memory bandwidth. Your GPU is faster than the PS5, and you have access to DLSS but in a CPU bound scenario it won't help. Performance will probably be roughly equivalent to ps5 at the same settings, and you have the ability to play on the next PC you build, so personally I would lean PC but you could argue either way.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 20, 2024

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

DangerDongs posted:

Slammed the pre-order button for the PS5 once the reviews dropped. I am so ready for this game.

Like everyone and their dog I will be going Mystic Spearhead, but I cannot decide if I want an archer or trickster companion.

Trickster is player only IIRC.

So that narrows it down for ya!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Apparently not, it doesn't run well on anything. Xbox Series X performance makes it the preferred console to play if you are going to play the console version. PS5 performance is the 2nd weakest, followed by Series S.

Just had a thought: Are pawns cross platform? Like, can a XBox player use a pawn from a PS5 or PC player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Mystic Spearhand is a class designed just for me, personally, and is proof that Capcom loves me

I haven't watched previews or anything but I agree on the basis that spear is in the name. Spear is a much better weapon than sword yet 99% of games deny you humanity's ultimate weapon.