Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao

https://twitter.com/SVegvari/status/1770482943347118385

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/jU-vkDLoGwQ?si=tEpio9trmZ9zXR-M

IGN’s review is more mixed. They like the game, but note that pawns continue to die in frustrating ways, the camera often fights against you (especially when climbing), and notes that performance can chug as multiple enemies pile into a combat.

Review is for the PS5 version.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://www.tiktok.com/@dmotta3/video/7348497767616023838

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So there's no difficulty settings in DD2, right? Something about adaptive difficulty?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

So there's no difficulty settings in DD2, right? Something about adaptive difficulty?

Correct.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it confirmed that there's no permanent stat growth depending on which vocations you level in this time? I recall reading something about that but I'm not sure. If stats just switch as you switch vocations that'd be fantastic.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

Is it confirmed that there's no permanent stat growth depending on which vocations you level in this time? I recall reading something about that but I'm not sure. If stats just switch as you switch vocations that'd be fantastic.

That's confirmed.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

What does that look like in practice?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

What does that look like in practice?

Your stats change when you change your vocation, just like you said.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Your stats change when you change your vocation, just like you said.

No no, I was talking about the adaptive difficulty.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

No no, I was talking about the adaptive difficulty.

Oh oops, mixed up the posts.

We don't know how it works. Adaptive systems like that are usually designed to not be noticed much in the first place.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I assume you made Sonic your main

i uh... tried

but man i am not gonna willingly spend 100 hours of my life looking at this character

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Oh oops, mixed up the posts.

We don't know how it works. Adaptive systems like that are usually designed to not be noticed much in the first place.

Ah good to know. I'm more curious for my mother's sake.

My mother (who is now in her early 60s) was a big huge goddamn fan of Dragon's Dogma 1. I think she played in like 2-3 times total. The thing is - she is absolutely dogshit at video games. Despite playing very serious games (Dragon's Dogma, Witcher 3, God of War, etc) she often struggles even when games are on "Easy" difficulty. So she's excited but incredibly nervous about DD2.

As for me, I played only a few hours of DD1 one evening a few years after it came out, but never went back to it because I ended up distracted by other things. So for all intents and purposes, I'm going into this game completely fresh.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I have a 7900xtx and a AMD 7800x processor AND got a artic freezer 3 a few weeks ago to deal with noise / heat. Im set for some gaming this weekend
Yeah, I built a new computer specifically for DD2 with a 7800X3D and am excited to see it truly get tested since I've only really been playing Last Epoch, otherwise

god I hope my poo poo doesn't blow up

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sea Lily posted:

i uh... tried

but man i am not gonna willingly spend 100 hours of my life looking at this character

Hahaha :patriot:

Same vibes as the cursed moogle character.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I LOVE living in an era where CPU bound performance is just normal again, the 90s are back!!!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sea Lily posted:

i uh... tried

I love this so much lol

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Found this clever and gruesome-looking use of scar and face paint options. Barf, I love it a lot.
https://twitter.com/us_JACKET/status/1769331514897301959

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Hmm... I have been playing Dragon's Dogma 1 on a reasonably nice laptop, and I preordered the special edition of DD2 on Steam in the hopes of doing the same thing, but these tech issues are concerning. On the other hand, RPGSite just posted an article specifically about tech specs and performance alongside their DD2 review: https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/15623-dragons-dogma-2-an-amazing-game-but-you-wont-be-running-it-on-steam-deck

quote:

As for general PC performance - when I played the game, I spent most of my time on my desktop with an RTX 4090, 64GB of RAM, and a Ryzen 7 7700x. At max settings, 4K and DLSS set to quality I generally had anywhere between 80 to 100FPS outside of towns, with towns and cities hitting a CPU bottleneck around 60~ FPS, with Vernworth in particular having regular dips to 50~ FPS. On my laptop with a Ryzen 7 5980HX, 32GB of RAM and an RX 6800M - the game generally ran at 30~40 FPS at 1440p, high settings. My laptop closely matches up with the recommended requirements, which state that the game should be playable at 30 FPS, high settings, at 2160i; so we can confirm that Capcom's performance estimates are, if nothing else, reasonably accurate.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
All these reviews are making me feel like it’s captured the exact same jankiness of the original PS3 release, even the performance. This is the best news possible for me specifically.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I recall a MHW performance mod whose author claimed the game was doing insane things like running over 100 threads at once. be curious to see if anyone cracks this game open and finds what’s going on with the optimization.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
If the game really is CPU limited in cities then it's almost certainly NPC pathfinding.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I barely scrape those minimum requirements (i9-9900, RTX 2070) and boy am I sweatin’. Guess I’ll see how it goes come tomorrow.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jack Trades posted:

OH MY loving GOD!

You can fist bump your pawn after a won fight?! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?!

Not only fist bump, but high five, medium five, low five and sometimes even do that awkward thing where one person goes to fist bump and the other wants to slap palms, so the palm slapper just kinda holds the fist for a bit.

Generally? If someone liked Dragon's Dogma 1, they'll absolutely love this. If they don't know that they love Dragon's Dogma 1, there's a chance they'll not love this, because holy poo poo the designers made some dragons dogma rear end design decisions here.

E: I was incorrect about this -- the stuff that's lost on insta-dead pawns gets dumped into your inn storage.

I don't want to put anyone off, because Dragon's Dogma is absolutely one of my favourite games of all time, and this is nailing all the same highs and then some. Just be aware that it's intentionally an old school game in many ways that may seem a bit weird by today's standards, and that it's intentionally janky in some ways, and unintentionally janky in some others. But that's all part of the charm.

Can't say anything about game length or the overall plot because I only got the game a few days ago and I've been just adventuring around the world all the time, I stopped doing main scenario quests the second I could.

Performance for me has been all over the place. 5600X and 3080, the capital is a slide show, and the game sometimes chugs heavily even out in the wild with occasional sub 30 FPS. This is with DLSS set to "Balanced". And the weird thing is, according to Shadowplay, neither my CPU or GPU are maxed out, so there's something loving weird going on with this thing.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 20, 2024

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Not only fist bump, but high five, medium five, low five and sometimes even do that awkward thing where one person goes to fist bump and the other wants to slap palms, so the palm slapper just kinda holds the fist for a bit.

Generally? If someone liked Dragon's Dogma 1, they'll absolutely love this. If they don't know that they love Dragon's Dogma 1, there's a chance they'll not love this either, because holy poo poo the designers made some dragons dogma rear end design decisions here.

Example?

Everything you carry has weight. You want your weight to be as low as possible, so you'll hand off materials and other heavy poo poo to pawns to carry while out adventuring. If one of your hired pawns insta-dies while holding poo poo for you (for instance by getting yeeted into deep water by an ogre) all that poo poo is gone. Permanently.

Uh

Are we sure its gone forever? In the first game it got dumped back into your inventory when that happened. Did they really get that much more brutal in 2?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zore posted:

Uh

Are we sure its gone forever? In the first game it got dumped back into your inventory when that happened. Did they really get that much more brutal in 2?

At least for me they are gone. It's only happened to me once, so I guess it's possible I've run into a bug or they've been dumped in some non-inn storage bin somewhere, but some stuff I very much would have liked to keep is now g-o-n-e.

E: Actually I'm gonna double check this. The game says when a pawn becomes forfeit, all the poo poo they're carrying gets sent to storage.

E2: OK, the stuff I thought was perma-lost is in my inn storage, editing original message. Phew.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 20, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just want to know if they have FSR or some similar technology so that I don't have to play this game at 10 FPS or whatever because capcom decided to use 25 threads to compute the trajectory of every falling leaf

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Ok guys i hope i’m not being a nuisance but it’s better to be safe than sorry,i was planning on getting a new computer just for DD2 (and of course other games but really DD2)

And i don’t want to spend a fortune if i can’t even play it so with that said,would this computer be up to scratch?

https://amzn.eu/d/bhIGcHz

I’m not looking for max settings and 4K poo poo just a steady framerate and medium settings (full screen prefferably).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

jokes posted:

I just want to know if they have FSR or some similar technology so that I don't have to play this game at 10 FPS or whatever because capcom decided to use 25 threads to compute the trajectory of every falling leaf

They have FSR and it's 10 fps with it on.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jack Trades posted:

They have FSR and it's 10 fps with it on.

i love dagons drogma

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The brute forcing with top end cpus seems to only go so far, looks like every setup bends the knee to Vernworth. It's just a question of if you're hitting the 20s or 30s

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

jokes posted:

DLSS and FSR are techniques for increasing GPU performance. DD2 is primarily CPU bound. They're there but won't get you high frame rates in cities, that's just not happening.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

And i don’t want to spend a fortune if i can’t even play it so with that said,would this computer be up to scratch?

https://amzn.eu/d/bhIGcHz

Go ask in SH/SC if you're serious. Need to know what you currently have, budget, etc.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Sea Lily posted:

i uh... tried

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

avoraciopoctules posted:

Hmm... I have been playing Dragon's Dogma 1 on a reasonably nice laptop, and I preordered the special edition of DD2 on Steam in the hopes of doing the same thing, but these tech issues are concerning. On the other hand, RPGSite just posted an article specifically about tech specs and performance alongside their DD2 review: https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/15623-dragons-dogma-2-an-amazing-game-but-you-wont-be-running-it-on-steam-deck

The RPGSite review also says Steam Deck hopefuls should embrace death

all those teeth calculations

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I watched a preview where the reviewer said he spent 40 minutes watching an NPC sing in a town for a side quest, and then skipped a cart and it took over an hour to walk where he was going. He was very positive on the experience.

On the one hand I want to try DD2, on the other hand i just don’t know, man. That’s….a lot.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 20, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm so glad they kept the same like pure loving weirdness that was in the original.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

K8.0 posted:

DLSS and FSR are techniques for increasing GPU performance. DD2 is primarily CPU bound. They're there but won't get you high frame rates in cities, that's just not happening.

Go ask in SH/SC if you're serious. Need to know what you currently have, budget, etc.

Thanks x

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/tomqe/status/1769295093599781113

:frogbon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fifteen of Many posted:

I watched a preview where the reviewer said he spent 40 minutes watching an NPC song in a town for a side quest, and then skipped a cart and and it took over an hour to walk where he was going. He was very positive on the experience.

On the one hand I want to try DD2, on the other hand i just don’t know, man. That’s….a lot.

Don't skip the cart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sea Lily posted:

i uh... tried

This loving killed me.