Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

zedprime posted:

At the risk of being made look like a fool by the robot overlord in my lifetime, every outfit who proclaims they are working on AGI for reals look to be doing the equivalent of the biologists electrifying big tanks of amino acids. Which is not unimportant work but not for the reasons stated by the guys writing the grants.

Data modelling is one very specific avenue of data science oddly enough called data modelling. It's pretty cool sometimes but ultimately just one branch of one type of data management. gently caress modelling, tell me when we have a working librarian algorithm.

You put enough AI on enough typewriters....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
google results rapidly becoming 99% AI SEO trash have suddenly made the reddit results that get returned far more load bearing than i’m comfortable with. when that support gives out it’s gonna be a dire situation.

it’s already infuriating because often i can see a snippet of the reddit comment in the result summary that i know contains exactly what i’m looking for, but after clicking the link, only a dozen or so comments are shown and the rest are collapsed in a nested structure and aren’t searchable with ctrl+f. threads aren’t searchable on reddit either, best you can do is limit it to a subreddit.

they also hosed up their API really bad to block AI (and kill 3rd party apps) so it’s hard now to just grab a json dump of the whole thread and search that instead.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I only believe the current crop of AI is going to change the world because our standards are becoming irrelevant. The Turing Test was not a sufficient test for AI given how many people can be fooled by our current models, and our collective threshold for what looks or reads good enough to pass muster was probably already dropping and is only getting dramatically worse; people posting in this thread might find AI-generated images laughably bad but like, possibly the majority do not even notice they are AI-generated, especially if kept to a reasonable subject. And most people are not literate enough to appreciate what good writing even looks like.

naem
May 29, 2011

rotinaj posted:

It is extremely cool how ai is ruining google as a search engine

SEO was most of the nails in that coffin but AI is just speedrunning the burial, I am honestly impressed how lovely google is to use these days

Google and other companies that peaked 10+ years ago could become like IBM or Texas Instruments, a relic of a past tech era

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Dr. Quarex posted:

I only believe the current crop of AI is going to change the world because our standards are becoming irrelevant. The Turing Test was not a sufficient test for AI given how many people can be fooled by our current models, and our collective threshold for what looks or reads good enough to pass muster was probably already dropping and is only getting dramatically worse; people posting in this thread might find AI-generated images laughably bad but like, possibly the majority do not even notice they are AI-generated, especially if kept to a reasonable subject. And most people are not literate enough to appreciate what good writing even looks like.

"Ive used an AI to condense Gravitys Rainbow into a concise novella and remove esoteric jargon. The book is now 90 pages and reads like a YA sci-fi novel. In many ways, this is a better product. Furthermore..."

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

naem posted:

Google and other companies that peaked 10+ years ago could become like IBM or Texas Instruments, a relic of a past tech era

Sure, if something moves in to replace them

Thus far the only replacement I have seen is having to jump through hoops to make your search work better

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I just need a decent AI tool that lets me crank out romance novels at a rate of 2-3 a month.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

I just need a decent AI tool that lets me crank out romance novels at a rate of 2-3 a month.

This is putting actual people out of work!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I genuinely don't know why people still use Google when better search engines - Brave, StartPage, even Duck Duck Go - exist. Not a criticism; it just sounds like Google search hasn't been worth it for a few years now.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I genuinely don't know why people still use Google when better search engines - Brave, StartPage, even Duck Duck Go - exist. Not a criticism; it just sounds like Google search hasn't been worth it for a few years now.

I like to buy things

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

I like to buy things

Capitalist groupie

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Google.com is really easy to type into an address bar. I don't know what duck duck go was thinking.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

I am not sure what sort of nonsense I am trying to find but every time I experiment with Bing or DuckDuckGo I end up pissed off and going back to Goog it instead. It probably helps that I usually am putting quotation marks around my searches which Bing treats like you are clicking "gently caress up my search lol." Clearly I should give the goingducks another chance these days though

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i use duckduckgo for most searches and it's every bit as bad as google, it just tracks you less

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

redshirt posted:

yeah but it's me making the lovely romance novels.

...i'm putting myself out of work.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bad Purchase posted:

i use duckduckgo for most searches and it's every bit as bad as google, it just tracks you less

I've been using Brave search for my regular search and StartPage for images and haven't had too much of a problem. I think DDG just uses Bing, which probably explains why it sucks.

I would not recommend Brave browser because I don't trust it. Maybe things have changed but it used to include some sort of crypto mining bullshit.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

"Ive used an AI to condense Gravitys Rainbow into a concise novella and remove esoteric jargon. The book is now 90 pages and reads like a YA sci-fi novel. In many ways, this is a better product. Furthermore..."

you joke but I've seen way too many people say only stuff that furthers the plot should be in a book lol

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

AlmightyBob posted:

you joke but I've seen way too many people say only stuff that furthers the plot should be in a book lol

https://twitter.com/soncharm/status/1725283749468807410

I lump these sorts of folks in the same bin as the ones who claim "I could paint that" looking at a Rothko or say:

"Wow its so small and probs costs $400" when presented with a photo of an amuse bouche from NOMA or Alinea.

Just zero understanding of anything creative beyond its immediate utility to their specific, pedestrian desires.

Honorary mention for people who misunderstand fashion runway shows. (Ive always LOL'd at Fashion S.W.A.T. though).

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 20, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nerd Jesus Kyle Hill thinks AI is going to turn the Internet into a dumb idea from a mediocre scifi novel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrcbH0ge2WE

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Bad Purchase posted:

it’s already infuriating because often i can see a snippet of the reddit comment in the result summary that i know contains exactly what i’m looking for, but after clicking the link, only a dozen or so comments are shown and the rest are collapsed in a nested structure and aren’t searchable with ctrl+f. threads aren’t searchable on reddit either, best you can do is limit it to a subreddit.

A tip for this: replace the "www.reddit.com" with "old.reddit.com" in the resulting URL and it should show you more of the nested comments. I don't know if it'll do the trick in every case, but it should at least help.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rad-daddio posted:

redshirt posted:

Two or three a month? How about 17??

That guy behind the lovely Willy's Chocolate Experience thing in Glasgow with the sad Oompa Loompa lady first uploaded 17 books to Amazon.com within the space of a month back in 2023 and they're all loving terrible AI bullshit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/author/B0CDJY7SBC

Some of them are a couple hundred pages long but most of them are well under a hundred pages, and one is only 37 pages long

This guy actually bought a physical copy of one of these 'books' and posted a Youtube review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heDU9f5x_dg&t=512s
(Video is not great but it's the only online review I could find)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Poohs Packin posted:

I lump these sorts of folks in the same bin as the ones who claim "I could paint that" looking at a Rothko or say:

"Wow its so small and probs costs $400" when presented with a photo of an amuse bouche from NOMA or Alinea.

Just zero understanding of anything creative beyond its immediate utility to their specific, pedestrian desires.

Honorary mention for people who misunderstand fashion runway shows. (Ive always LOL'd at Fashion S.W.A.T. though).

How about using AI to completed unfinished works, like this painting that Keith Haring was working on when he died?

https://twitter.com/DonnelVillager/status/1741394747594318275

(It's a parody shitpost, people got VERY angry about it and there were a bunch of online articles like this)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Poohs Packin posted:

That dude goes on to pretend he doesn’t know who the artist of nighthawks is, i am gonna tell myself they were doing a bit to try and stir up some hateclicks

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Oh its 100% satire. However, there are people who have indeed pushed the idea of NFTs as art. There is vested interest in pushing AI "art" as legitimate.

I remember the Slurp Juice Ape guy saying "you cant deny the art is awesome" or something.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Last Visible Dog posted:

A tip for this: replace the "www.reddit.com" with "old.reddit.com" in the resulting URL and it should show you more of the nested comments. I don't know if it'll do the trick in every case, but it should at least help.

i do, it doesn’t help that much

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Poohs Packin posted:

Rothko sucks!!!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kntfkr posted:

Rothko sucks!!!

Going to an art gallery with a Red Sox cap and Dropkick Murphys shirt and smoking Parliament Lights and pulling out a pocket constitution when they ask you incredibly gently to please calm down.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
parliament lights have that divet in the filter so you practice tonguing the urethra is what i was always told

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its because Boston guys suck on cigs so hard the filter flies out and creates a choking hazard.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

McSpanky posted:

Nerd Jesus Kyle Hill thinks AI is going to turn the Internet into a dumb idea from a mediocre scifi novel.

we've done a totally fine job of that without LLMs, we don't need computers to help us create bad content. some of the oldest known cave paintings are sheer trash

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Cabbages and Kings posted:

we've done a totally fine job of that without LLMs, we don't need computers to help us create bad content. some of the oldest known cave paintings are sheer trash

What's this? You just spit paint onto your hand like a stencil? Fuckin lame!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Rad-daddio posted:

What's this? You just spit paint onto your hand like a stencil? Fuckin lame!

Look at this Entelodont's huge balls

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

kntfkr posted:

Rothko sucks!!!

gently caress you!!!!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like abstract art but I went to a big Rothko exhibit a few days ago and I was only like 40% feelin' it, to be honest. I'm more of Mondrian boy, the thing you have to realize is that he was working before MSPaint was invented.

It really is something to go to an art museum and see some abstract piece, think "this looks pretty modern, an aesthetic I'd associate with 1980-2000 time period", and then look at the date and see it's from 1912 or something. I tried to imagine what it would be like to view this kind of art when it debuted, and be one of the first people to see an aesthetic that was entirely unlike anything anyone had seen before. It would be like being one of the first people to, say, eat an orange. When you think about it in those terms it's pretty easy to understand why this kind of art was so influential. What's the 2024 version of that?

lol

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Cabbages and Kings posted:

some of the oldest known cave paintings are sheer trash

woah buddy

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
Here's an overly pessimistic take. Modern ML trends are mostly a short-term grift with the possibility of extending it to a long-term grift if society tolerates it. I think most major commerical language models were made as tools for PR and regulatory capture.

On the PR side, ML companies found a way to insert themselves as middlemen into the decision-making process. Before language models, it wasn't really feasible for an unrelated third party to make money on the moment a person or team makes an important engineering, creative, or business decision. But now these decisions can be made for you by a hosted language model for only the cost of an API call, or at least that's the sales pitch. It doesn't matter if these models spew out bullshit so long as it's convincing bullshit. Sociopaths in upper management who make staffing decisions literally do not care - the savings of laying off human decision-makers and the PR boost of embracing AI will generate short-term profit and investor interest. Like most corporate decisions chasing short-term profit, it doesn't matter if it falls apart in a few quarters.

On the regulatory capture side, it's pretty trivial to train a large language model with enough data and computing power. Data is readily available on the Internet if you don't care about quality and copyright, and compute power can be rented from cloud providers without having to buy and maintain expensive hardware. I'm skeptical of the usefulness of current language models, but suspect they could be improved in specific problem domains with more research or with different techniques. But the ability to train and deploy an in-house ML model without the involvement of current AI companies is a threat to them. That's why they're trying to convince us that the trajectory of ML research is an existential threat to humanity and must be regulated as soon as possible. I'm worried that if they're successful, ML research could become licensed and locked down to the point that only companies currently engaged in lobbying will be able to do it.

If implemented, a licensing scheme would play out in one of two ways. If the technology actually sucks and won't improve much beyond its current state, it allows licensed companies to be the exclusive beneficiaries of the grift. If the technology improves and actually produces quality work in some contexts, or if it turns out that society doesn't care about low-quality lovely language model output, then licensed companies become the exclusive gatekeepers of the cognitive and creative processes their technology replaces.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk!

Edit: Clarifying that the triviality of training a language model is at the corporate level, not the individual level. We're still talking about millions of dollars here, but if a company is sufficiently motivated to train an in-house model, they can.

fartzilla fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 21, 2024

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I am currently cancelling a subscription in a chat with an obvious bot any it’s trying to *shudder* make small talk. My life has never been so pointless.

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

Shadow0 posted:

You can already use it to make art and write silly stories or solve simple programming tasks. It's not perfect, but did you expect it to just suddenly show up, fully formed and ready to replace everyone or something? It's at least entertaining.

Yeah but the art looks bad and the audio is even worse. I guess it’ll improve over time but I’m not sure that’s really a good thing either.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
look at me im rothko my red square is so impressive in person blah blah blah just ask any of the smart geniuses who totally get art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
don't need AI to replace rothko, the fill function in mspaint works just fine