Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I have an RTX3070, but only a i5 8400, so I either need to upgrade (Hell, need to upgrade the motherboard too at this point, so I may as well make a new machine altogether), or just bite the bullet with the PS5 version.

Truth be told I was thinking about making a new build but I think I may just go with the latter.

An i5 8400 is probably going to be slightly faster than a PS5 in terms of CPU performance (assuming this game is single-thread bound like most) and a 3070 is definitely better than a PS5 in GPU performance, especially since you can use DLSS. The PS5 isn't a bad choice but probably won't be better, and if you have the PC version right now you won't need to buy it again when you do upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So I guess we just aren't getting a PC preload?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m having a hard time deciding which vocation I want to main.

I like the bigh swords of the Warrior. But also the mobility of the mystic spearbro.

I know there's the ability to frequently change vocations and the game encourages you to do so with augments, but I still will settle on as my "main" class

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I played a mystic knight on my first run back on PS3.

What is 60fps?

Pretty sure it dropped to single digit frames with enough cannon blasts.

This lovely performance is basically the state of gaming these days. The literal game of the year for 2023(BG3) was a huge buggy mess in it's 3rd act with terrible fps when it released. I still have over 300 hours on PS5 in that game. It's fine now after a bunch of patches though. I imagine DD2 will be the same.

I watched some guy playing the game last night for about an hour on Youtube and the game looks totally fine in motion. I'm excited.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Ok guys i hope i’m not being a nuisance but it’s better to be safe than sorry,i was planning on getting a new computer just for DD2 (and of course other games but really DD2)

And i don’t want to spend a fortune if i can’t even play it so with that said,would this computer be up to scratch?

https://amzn.eu/d/bhIGcHz

I’m not looking for max settings and 4K poo poo just a steady framerate and medium settings (full screen prefferably).

No. That cpu and gpu are below the min recommended for DD2 on PC.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
My r5 5600 is I think a bit above the recommended spec but the word about performance has been so uniformly terrible I think I'm holding out for a bit to see how this shakes out.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I think I'm going to get the PC and the PS5 versions, since RPGSite says that there is no commercially available computer that is currently up to running the big cities without a hitch. I'll play on PS5 for a while, then upgrade to fancy new desktop in a few months once there's a machine that can handle DD2 without issues and without using the newest most expensive components.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Ok guys i hope i’m not being a nuisance but it’s better to be safe than sorry,i was planning on getting a new computer just for DD2 (and of course other games but really DD2)

And i don’t want to spend a fortune if i can’t even play it so with that said,would this computer be up to scratch?

https://amzn.eu/d/bhIGcHz

I’m not looking for max settings and 4K poo poo just a steady framerate and medium settings (full screen prefferably).

This is going to sound like an exaggeration but it isn't. If you want a truly steady frame rate you'll need a $300+ processor and lock the game to 30FPS.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

pyrotek posted:

An i5 8400 is probably going to be slightly faster than a PS5 in terms of CPU performance (assuming this game is single-thread bound like most) and a 3070 is definitely better than a PS5 in GPU performance, especially since you can use DLSS. The PS5 isn't a bad choice but probably won't be better, and if you have the PC version right now you won't need to buy it again when you do upgrade.

Well, I was posting in the PC build thread and found a real good bundle deal at microcenter for a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, plus a motherboard and 32GB of RAM. So I am going to see if I can crack open my case to see if I can upgrade it this weekend.

EDIT: I mean I know a consistent 60fps is probably not on the cards but I am at the point where it is worth upgrading in general.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 20, 2024

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
That motherfucker Lewis Parker from Eurogamer apparently had a flawless time with it at 120 FPS apart from some "minor" dips in cities that could be ameliorated by small settings adjustments, but he didn't actually post his PC specifications. https://www.eurogamer.net/dragons-dogma-2-review

quote:

Sadly, I do have one small criticism, although thankfully it is a lot less detrimental than it might initially appear to be. I did run into some performance issues on PC, specifically in regards to some occasional frame droppage. Now, I should note that I never ran into any drops in frames in the open world and managed to run at a pretty consistent 120FPS, so oddly this was never an issue during combat. I only ever experience drops in frames during my time in the two biggest cities in the game, and these drops did seem specific to certain locations within those cities, such as in Vernworth's town square. However, I was running the game with all of the graphical settings at their highest, so I was able to completely offset these drops in frames with some slight tweaks that barely impacted how pretty the game looked - changes I could revert once I left said cities.

What kind of miracle poo poo is he running on!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah no preload.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Thanks for the advice guys,much appreciated.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, I was posting in the PC build thread and found a real good bundle deal at microcenter for a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, plus a motherboard and 32GB of RAM. So I am going to see if I can crack open my case to see if I can upgrade it this weekend.

EDIT: I mean I know a consistent 60fps is probably not on the cards but I am at the point where it is worth upgrading in general.

That is the single best gaming CPU for most games (a few, possibly including this game, slightly prefer the faster single-thread speed Intel has) and that combo is a very good upgrade choice. I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Every day I am grateful for being a superior evolved being who can’t perceive the difference between 30 FPS and 60 making all this poo poo irrelevant to me.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Every day I am grateful for being a superior evolved being who can’t perceive the difference between 30 FPS and 60 making all this poo poo irrelevant to me.

I really only notice if something dips down to like 15 FPS because my eyeballs are bad and practically vestigial at this point, or if it’s a bunch of microstutters like Deathloop had when it first launched. I’m hoping I continue to have the good luck with Capcom/REngine games that I’ve had in the past and I avoid the big problems somehow.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Yeah, I rarely notice framerate until it drops below 30.

Meanwhile, my wife will play certain games, hit a moment of 15 fps and not really pay much mind to it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

That motherfucker Lewis Parker from Eurogamer apparently had a flawless time with it at 120 FPS apart from some "minor" dips in cities that could be ameliorated by small settings adjustments, but he didn't actually post his PC specifications. https://www.eurogamer.net/dragons-dogma-2-review

Lewis Parker Can't Lose (Frames)

edit: apparently no preload? deleted

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 20, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

pyrotek posted:

That is the single best gaming CPU for most games (a few, possibly including this game, slightly prefer the faster single-thread speed Intel has) and that combo is a very good upgrade choice. I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

It is the single best gaming CPU for most games and will also melt down when three village people walk near each other

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

No preload on PC at all
https://support.fanatical.com/hc/en-us/articles/17695416005010-When-will-I-get-my-Dragon-s-Dogma-2-pre-order-key

source: Fanatical's (owned by Fandom, the for-profit branch of Jimmy's wikipedia) DD2 product support page

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

Ohhhh, he's using metric system fps. You gotta divide by 2.54

Edit: series s looks ... Fine? https://youtu.be/4cFHSGzaPN8?si=tiGw1RoGGXY5nW36

No big city footage tho

External Organs fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 20, 2024

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That would make sense because the Series S is a huge GPU downgrade but only a very minor CPU downgrade.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

K8.0 posted:

That would make sense because the Series S is a huge GPU downgrade but only a very minor CPU downgrade.

For some reason I thought it was the other way around :ohdear:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Draven posted:

He really doesn't touch on any negatives and the brief moment he brings up framerate he says "who cares?" Because he feels the overall feeling of the game outshines performance issues.

See I don't entirely agree with that, if the performance is poo poo I will dock points for that, even if I otherwise love it. It's just something that affects your experience.

AcidCat posted:

I was originally going to wait for sale on this one but these reviews are making me realize that was a foolish, ill-informed stance, last minute preorder activated.

:getin:

You're in good company, I also bravely preordered despite it hurting my soul on principle

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah what's up with that, it was supposed to release today. I guess it's still Wednesday in North America

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 21, 2024

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

finally settled on my Arisen's look for when the game launches tomorrow night. Decided she's a mad alchemist, who's frustrated that a grand destiny's been thrust upon her when she'd rather be in her lab doing unethical experiments

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Depends on your screen. 30 fps on an OLED is really choppy I've found.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Gyoru posted:

No preload on PC at all
https://support.fanatical.com/hc/en-us/articles/17695416005010-When-will-I-get-my-Dragon-s-Dogma-2-pre-order-key

source: Fanatical's (owned by Fandom, the for-profit branch of Jimmy's wikipedia) DD2 product support page

That's odd (not the preload), I got my key from Humble Bundle this past weekend. Blows for everyone else I guess. I honestly don't understand why some publishers are like that. Just let us preload, not every one has fast internet still in this day and age.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
last chance to make an arisen, perhaps ill give beastren another chance. i just wish they had tails, feels like such a waste

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

finally settled on my Arisen's look for when the game launches tomorrow night. Decided she's a mad alchemist, who's frustrated that a grand destiny's been thrust upon her when she'd rather be in her lab doing unethical experiments

That's really cool, getting Fullmetal Alchemist vibes from the tattoos.

For my own pawn, I finally settled on the bangs + side bangs + braid look. I briefly experimented with going blonde but decided against it, the dark hair makes the eyes pop more.

I don't know why I'm spending so much time on this stuff, the game doesn't have a 'hide helmet' feature and there's no way I would ever not min-max my gear. They knew exactly what they were doing when they released the character creator early

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I wonder how hard it would be to recreate my FFXIV character for DD2.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Phlegmish posted:

See I don't entirely agree with that, if the performance is poo poo I will dock points for that, even if I otherwise love it. It's just something that affects your experience.

I agree. If it's enough to be noticeable it will negatively impact the overall experience. That's why I mentioned his bias, and props to him if he can look past performance issues.

I can to a degree. Like others have said, 30 is perfectly playable for me. When it starts hitting like 25fps is when I can notice it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Thumbtacks posted:

last chance to make an arisen, perhaps ill give beastren another chance. i just wish they had tails, feels like such a waste

The lack of tail and the ears were an odd choice, given they did actually do a good job making them look cat-like in basically every other regard (at least if you tinker with the face/head options a bit).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Well now I have to go home and try to make a ripped as hell Roegadame that is inexplicably a caster. I haven’t even played XIV for over a year!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I tried to make my catgirl and it turned out terrible without the ears. Also couldn't get a good Godbert going.

Fordola came out very well though:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i played control at 800x600 on an rx 480 with the framerate dipping into the sub-30s on the regular. nothing in dradog 2 can hurt me

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Vermain posted:

i played control at 800x600 on an rx 480 with the framerate dipping into the sub-30s on the regular. nothing in dradog 2 can hurt me

:stare:

Who hurt you?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Draven posted:

:stare:

Who hurt you?

i bought the 480 on sale like two months before crypto blew up and clung to it desperately waiting for GPU prices to drop, but i also wanted to play games that were made after the truman administration, and so compromises had to be made

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
That's a fun concept:

https://twitter.com/TheSphereHunter/status/1770568013093499254

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Vermain posted:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Vermain is just being real true to the spirit of Control and not using and technology available after the 1960s so the Oldest House doesn’t get cranky. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This dude has not updated his hardware in twenty years and I respect that