Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lines posted:

I feel like Part 3 almost wants to be a different genre? Like this is the one of the three that wants to be an open world exploration type game. Part 3 could do something wildly different, I don't know quite what yet.

Text adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, they are both good and fun. But the Word Intel stuff is meaningless. You don't get any extra opportunities to hang out with your party or learn anything, no ongoing subplots are being served (with the weak exception of the protorelic). The story does not change one jot or tittle if I do or do not beat up that group of fiends who are slightly different from the fiends I've already been beating up, and if I find or do not find a cache or transmuter chip, the only thing that changes is my inventory.

Contrast that to the actual sidequests, the ones you pick up on community boards. Those tend to be focused around a single party member and give them a scene or two to shine and show off their personalities, and you get a relationship boost at the end.

You get lore for the vast majority of the World Intel things. That's the opposite of "you don't get to learn anything."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ImpAtom posted:

You get lore for the vast majority of the World Intel things. That's the opposite of "you don't get to learn anything."

Yeah but then you have to listen to Chadley for 15 whole seconds which for some people is a crime that should be tried at The Hauge apparently

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

is the tonberry king fight just a joke/meme or have people won this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

is the tonberry king fight just a joke/meme or have people won this

What's giving you trouble? If you just can't dodge his insta-kill stuff equip a Safety Bit (you should have one from the mine dungeon)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just gotta equip some Safety Bits.

Probably the hardest of the classified fiends though

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the marlboro is the first fight that's given me pause. I wasn't even doing that much damage to it in stagger

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the marlboro is the first fight that's given me pause. I wasn't even doing that much damage to it in stagger

this was probably the hardest intel fight for me but that's probably mostly because my party decided to stand directly in the bad breath

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Cleared the map stuff in Junon before continuing the plot. I guess maybe I'm suppose to do that stuff first before doing the story or I be underleveled.
It felt a lot more natural that greenhills where I got my rear end handed to me by that snake. Starting to feel the combat a bit more.
Such goofy stuff lol. Barret continues to be entertaining. Tifa seems to have few lines so far compared to everyone else.

random rear end dolphin assist with Cloud against the fish boss. Actually kicked that fish boss's rear end.
and hell yea, Yuffie, what up girl. Cloud lost a good chance, should have taken it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

What's giving you trouble? If you just can't dodge his insta-kill stuff equip a Safety Bit (you should have one from the mine dungeon)

I only have 1, can you get two more?

I’ll use it but I’m expecting I’m still gonna die because I can’t do enough damage to him before he gets everyone

The AI doesn’t keep away from him or evade rancor so only the character I’m playing sufficiently runs away from him

This sucks lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Cleared the map stuff in Junon before continuing the plot. I guess maybe I'm suppose to do that stuff first before doing the story or I be underleveled.
It felt a lot more natural that greenhills where I got my rear end handed to me by that snake. Starting to feel the combat a bit more.
Such goofy stuff lol. Barret continues to be entertaining. Tifa seems to have few lines so far compared to everyone else.

random rear end dolphin assist with Cloud against the fish boss. Actually kicked that fish boss's rear end.
and hell yea, Yuffie, what up girl. Cloud lost a good chance, should have taken it.

... she's 16.

Wamsutta posted:

I only have 1, can you get two more?

I’ll use it but I’m expecting I’m still gonna die because I can’t do enough damage to him before he gets everyone

The AI doesn’t keep away from him or evade rancor so only the character I’m playing sufficiently runs away from him

This sucks lol

Try swapping to like Barret and Yuffie. Ranged combat is a big help there.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

... she's 16.

Try swapping to like Barret and Yuffie. Ranged combat is a big help there.

Yeah I just won, did it by switching between everyone and just keeping range while filling ATB

Problem is I stole the crown my first attempt and assumed that filled the requirement, the time I won I was so focused on not dying I didn’t steal it again and now I got the lovely crown. I’m not doing that right again so Johnny is stuck with it lol

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I always found ranged damage to be kind of a trap since Tonberries end up spamming Scourge which will gently caress you up if it hits and occupy you anyway if you're evading it, whereas you can bait out Chef's Knife or Grudge and then get some free Pressure. You want King Tonberry pressured anyway to nab the crown. I think Yuffie can Blindside out of being Scourged though.

Safety Bits definitely recommended (they can be crafted) or Warding + Subversion.

E: for the Malboro, you just gotta learn the exact moment the Mouth appears and then hit it with either a Max Fury, a single spell, or a barrage of Ninjutsu. You might not be able to stop the AI from getting breathed on so I guess keep an Esuna handy.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 20, 2024

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
The last Queensblood match is super anti-climatic once you build a deck specifically for countering its gimmick. You basically just hang out as your opponent boosts your score through the roof until they run out of cards.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

lines posted:

I feel like Part 3 almost wants to be a different genre? Like this is the one of the three that wants to be an open world exploration type game. Part 3 could do something wildly different, I don't know quite what yet.

They've pretty directly implied part 3 is also going to be an open world game in saying that one of their big hurdles is going to be getting the Highwind working in it

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wamsutta posted:

Yeah I just won, did it by switching between everyone and just keeping range while filling ATB

Problem is I stole the crown my first attempt and assumed that filled the requirement, the time I won I was so focused on not dying I didn’t steal it again and now I got the lovely crown. I’m not doing that right again so Johnny is stuck with it lol

After you beat him you can craft the Karmic Cowl and it’ll prevent instant death, making repeats much easier. The Karmic Cowl also gives a +30 to Defense and Magic Defense. I farmed enough to make three.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wamsutta posted:

You can choose which crown to give him

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
After 50+ hours I learned:

You can quick swap party members outside battles with L1/R1 without going into the menu screen. Shiiiit

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I hope the person in charge of the retry battle option screen during multistage boss fights develops a hemeroid you can see from space.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

After 50+ hours I learned:

You can quick swap party members outside battles with L1/R1 without going into the menu screen. Shiiiit

I legit feel your pain friend.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Man, the play is kinda hosed for Tifa:

Not only is Jessie's digital ghost still performing, but almost everyone else gets to go on stage. Also, Aerith gets a love story with Cloud. Guess we know who Cait Sith ships.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Capfalcon posted:

Man, the play is kinda hosed for Tifa:

Not only is Jessie's digital ghost still performing, but almost everyone else gets to go on stage. Also, Aerith gets a love story with Cloud. Guess we know who Cait Sith ships.

if your date is Tifa she’s the princess instead

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

RatHat posted:

My date was with Red XIII somehow, lol.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Man the controls for the gravity rotation in the temple in chapter 13 are super jank. I can do it and it's not hard, it's just awkward. It should either have been up/down/left/right on the d-pad/analogue stick and the rotation is handled for you, or if they wanted free rotation then it should have used the shoulder buttons.

Also the whole dungeon is just too drat long.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

and if your date is Yuffie then she gets to be the princess, but Aerith still gets her song, so it's just Tifa sitting next to a sleeping Cid in the audience :lol:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Pulcinella posted:

Man the controls for the gravity rotation in the temple in chapter 13 are super jank. I can do it and it's not hard, it's just awkward. It should either have been up/down/left/right on the d-pad/analogue stick and the rotation is handled for you, or if they wanted free rotation then it should have used the shoulder buttons.

Also the whole dungeon is just too drat long.

I believe that is how those work? Just hold the cardinal direction and it'll rotate to that direction.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I do not understand this Odin fight. I am following the instructions by hitting him with poison, avoiding his attacks and hitting him with abilities and he is still using Zantetsuken. What the gently caress?

Edit: he hasn’t gotten pressured once. Seems like the assess is lying!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 21, 2024

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rhonne posted:

and if your date is Yuffie then she gets to be the princess, but Aerith still gets her song, so it's just Tifa sitting next to a sleeping Cid in the audience :lol:

if Tifa is your date then Yuffie is the one next to Cid

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah but then you have to listen to Chadley for 15 whole seconds which for some people is a crime that should be tried at The Hauge apparently

Cloud! It’s actually spelled Hague. I’m sure a powerful mercenary like yourself could spell correctly.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Cloud! It’s actually spelled Hague. I’m sure a powerful mercenary like yourself could spell correctly.

Thanks Chadley I know I can always count on you to help me out

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

game would be a 10/10 if they gave you the water farting chocobo in every region, gongaga and cosmo canyon were brutal to navigate

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I do not understand this Odin fight. I am following the instructions by hitting him with poison, avoiding his attacks and hitting him with abilities and he is still using Zantetsuken. What the gently caress?

Edit: he hasn’t gotten pressured once. Seems like the assess is lying!

Okay I was able to pressure him by hitting him with both poison and deprotect but once I’ve staggered him it becomes impossible to get those to stick again! Also he keeps using Reprisal to negate the spells or solely targets my spellcaster! This fight loving sucks!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Okay I was able to pressure him by hitting him with both poison and deprotect but once I’ve staggered him it becomes impossible to get those to stick again! Also he keeps using Reprisal to negate the spells or solely targets my spellcaster! This fight loving sucks!

You need to use actual damage to pressure him. The debuffs, like deprotect, just make it easier to do damage.

Also if your chars have red shackles on their hands, they are gonna eat a Reprisal.

e: it's basically a dps check.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 21, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ugh I was so close to beating Mindflayer vr challenge legit but then Red got blown up last minute. This is definitely unfun fight because you need to babysit the AI and move them away from minions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Ugh I was so close to beating Mindflayer vr challenge legit but then Red got blown up last minute. This is definitely unfun fight because you need to babysit the AI and move them away from minions.

Honestly it's an easier fight with a single character or two at most. Damage isn't really the concern in that fight.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

In my experience, the AI for the most part will manage to block the Deafening Screech attack just fine unless you happen to give them a command at the wrong time (or if they have some auto-ability or synergy materia equipped). I learned to be very mindful of seeing the attack name pop up before spending any ATB.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You need to use actual damage to pressure him. The debuffs, like deprotect, just make it easier to do damage.

Also if your chars have red shackles on their hands, they are gonna eat a Reprisal.

e: it's basically a dps check.

The debuffs can cause him to get pressured, when I hit him with poison and deprotect at the same time he used Slepnir’s Fury or whatever and got pressured. But then after he was staggered he kept resisting all my debuffs so :shrug: I am dealing damage and avoiding his attacks but clearly it isn’t enough. I’ll just do it later when I have better equipment.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
drat there's still 14% game left once you hit Chapter 13? I think I'm going to turn it down to easy since I saw a lot of complaints of overly long dungeons and some annoying final sequences

I had to watch the end of Remake on youtube because I couldn't beat the final boss in that and I'd rather not go through that again

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

oh no...got to the piano mini-game.
having to control the left AND right joystick rhythm game? game over for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The piano game is a case of patience and practice being your best friends. Except for "Two Legs, nothing to it'. gently caress that track.