Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Sydin posted:

It takes elves at least a couple decades of sitting on the same throne to decide if it's uncomfortable or not.

Plus Serie is a particularly hard-rear end elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Steve Yun posted:

Fern has to kill Frieren for some convoluted reason

fern already killed frieren

just not real frieren

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Yeah, the one getting flags for killing the real Frieren is Ubel.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LostRook posted:

Yeah, the one getting flags for killing the real Frieren is Ubel.

Übel wouldn't kill Frieren. She's obsessed with learning what makes people tick to copy their magic, and Frieren would be one hell of a project for that with how bad she can be at showing her feelings.

Honestly that seems like a pretty good arc for both, the selfish hyper-empath and the selfless empathy-learner having a fun time together trying to learn about each other.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Maybe she’s using the ‘make chairs of stone feel soft’ magic.

Also once again in the spirit of Serie being the ultimate tsundere with calling suppressing magic dumb while also doing it as well. And Flammes Will dumb but ultimately doing it anyway.

I feel like how she probably calls the making flowers spell dumb, but I bet a grimoire that the flower garden that she’s looking after at during the 3rd exam interview was probably made by her flower magic.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Übel doesn'y actually kill anyone, she just slays them with her hot goth chic fashion.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Except that one guy she cut in half, he's totally dead. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Sachant posted:

You know, with thousands of years at her disposal, you'd think Serie would build some thrones she fits into better.

Look, all those nice and comfy thrones fall apart after a few decades to use. From an elf perspective, that's like if you had to replace your chair every single day. Big stone thrones might not be comfortable, but they at least last a reasonable amount of time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kwyndig posted:

Except that one guy she cut in half, he's totally dead. :v:

There are also bandit parts littering the countryside.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/tentenchan2525/status/1770360845941588112?s=19

Fern using the power of donuts to notice the mana fluctuations?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I'll take your word for it.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It's more like she didn't see it because she was eating donuts, noticed, and then went back to eating donuts so she missed the entire be my student speech.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/boocanan/status/1770539023934566871?t=myUoVkn8D3zvu7eyzyBbNw&s=19

80 years is one hell of a break, Frieren.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

~I’ll be there for yoooou (in about 50 years)~

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I cast “translate”

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

drat it, you Freelen

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Also, Serie doesn't see the defeat of the Demon Lord as a major thing, because it wasn't a perfect "1v1 final destination, no items" fight. She sees it as a lucky break, where in reality, it was much more than that.

Meanwhile, all the people of the world are much safer and happier having the Demon Lord gone, and the magic meta's changed because new spells were invented that really made most old combat spells invalid, and nobody really runs dungeons anymore, but keep on hanging out in that good old musty basement lording over your power level and not really helping yourself and anyone else improve, Serie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

OB_Juan posted:

Also, Serie doesn't see the defeat of the Demon Lord as a major thing, because it wasn't a perfect "1v1 final destination, no items" fight. She sees it as a lucky break, where in reality, it was much more than that.

Oh so she’s a Fromsoft gatekeeper

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"What's your favorite spell"
"Field of flowers"
"That's dumb, you're dumb"
"Yeah it's pretty dumb, except the time it catalyzed my joining the party that defeated the demon king and bringing peace to the world that part was neat"
"..."
"Anyway have fun not failing my student because she kicks too much rear end, later"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sydin posted:

"What's your favorite spell"
"Field of flowers"
"That's dumb, you're dumb"
"Yeah it's pretty dumb, except the time it catalyzed my joining the party that defeated the demon king and bringing peace to the world that part was neat"
"..."
"Anyway have fun not failing my student because she kicks too much rear end, later"

Frieren's delivery of そう and walking off when Serie goes all was absolutely perfect. :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AlternateNu posted:

Frieren's delivery of and walking off when Serie goes all was absolutely perfect. :allears:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Thinking about it, the flower field spell seems to be able to produce any flower (any plant?) the caster ...has seen before? has studied closely and remembers enough of?

However that works, it's extremely broken - you presumably can't make a calorie profit, but it's a way to quickly mass-manufacture any substance you can derive from a flowering plant.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Brutal Garcon posted:

Thinking about it, the flower field spell seems to be able to produce any flower (any plant?) the caster ...has seen before? has studied closely and remembers enough of?

However that works, it's extremely broken - you presumably can't make a calorie profit, but it's a way to quickly mass-manufacture any substance you can derive from a flowering plant.

Ya well in THIS house we only use this spell because Himmel thought the flowers were pretty

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ironically, that dude who can transform flower petals into flying blades/needles seems to use the flower field spell to basically create ammunition regardless of terrain(he used it to fight in the dungeon), so the whole "flower field spell is useless in combat!" take is kinda wrong. :v:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ironically, that dude who can transform flower petals into flying blades/needles seems to use the flower field spell to basically create ammunition regardless of terrain(he used it to fight in the dungeon), so the whole "flower field spell is useless in combat!" take is kinda wrong. :v:

he also got failed by serie

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Sure, but the way he is using it means that "flower field spell is useless" is wrong, even from Serie's own perspective. It isn't, it can be used to fuel magics that use flowers as weapons.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Is using flowers as weapons useful though? Or it is simply the bizarre whim of someone lacking the imagination to do something better?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, you could also say the opposite, being able to turn something as harmless as a flower into deadly and effective weapon is a sign of robust imagination.

The dude failed because he seems to be insufficiently and unevenly trained (IIRC the glasses dude mentioned that he was self-taught and has issues detecting mana) not because his magic was weak.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Brutal Garcon posted:

Why? I don't think magic in this universe somehow follows a conservation of energy from what we've seen. Magic does take some kind of work and makes you tired, but Frieren and Fern were able to like entire ships from the water. If you made a field full of an edible plant (dandelions for instance), I'm sure you could get more energy out of it than you put in.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A spell that summons a field of flowers of the user's choosing would be incredibly OP, especially if it can make flowers appear on trees. Flowering plants have all kinds of medicinal, nutritional, and recreational properties. It's just a matter of picking the right plants.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, magic in the setting seems pretty unfettered. The only set rules I can recall are no immortality and no bringing people back from the dead, which are kinda necessary for the themes to function.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Summon a field of psychedelics and cast fireball.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

M_Gargantua posted:

Summon a field of psychedelics and cast fireball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TDu8kiz7Jo

???

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Him using flower field spell is anime only though. In the manga he just carried around bouquets.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

LostRook posted:

Him using flower field spell is anime only though. In the manga he just carried around bouquets.

So, in other words, he would be a far stronger mage if he knew that spell and could create flower fields at will, instead of carrying around bouquets? :v:

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

I knew what it was going to be before I clicked on it. Legendary episode.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If Himmel was an elven mage, everybody would be living in a crazy utopia. I kinda like that elves operate on an almost alien level of disinterest. They could feed the world with that flower spell, but that's a lot of work. They could use it to build a pharmaceutical empire, but that's a lot of attention. They could use it to be a massive dealer in poisons and pesticides, but that's a lot of responsibility.
Elves are like that dude who outsourced his job so he could watch cat videos all day.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
What I'm saying is, I would 100% be an elf in Frieren world because I'm introverted, lazy, and ace.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Das Boo posted:

If Himmel was an elven mage, everybody would be living in a crazy utopia. I kinda like that elves operate on an almost alien level of disinterest. They could feed the world with that flower spell, but that's a lot of work. They could use it to build a pharmaceutical empire, but that's a lot of attention. They could use it to be a massive dealer in poisons and pesticides, but that's a lot of responsibility.
Elves are like that dude who outsourced his job so he could watch cat videos all day.
It's more like they see time on such a scale that it's almost like nothing but the absolute most earth-shaking existence-ending threats matter at all to them and maybe not even to that degree.

"Hmm, we could use this spell to feed everyone which would make a prosperous empire but technically it'd last maybe 1000 years which isn't really that long. Just kicking the can down the road a bit, not worth the effort, eh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah like if you were operating on a lifespan such that you've lived through the rise of the Indus Valley civilizations through to modern day and you're still nowhere close to dying from old age the way you'd perceive societal shifts and events would be extremely skewed. "Oh no there's a horrible famine killing millions" big loving deal, you know how many of those I've seen? People bounce back.