Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the next game by the developer of Lacuna comes out this week and ppl should play that instead

also the sequel to Ender Lilies

also Sentry

and Suzerain DLC

and Palia if you want a F2P life sim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

the next game by the developer of Lacuna comes out this week and ppl should play that instead

and Suzerain DLC

drat big week

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Snake Maze posted:

A lot of people have been saying that “Dragon’s Dogma 2” will be the industry’s first AAAA game.

There is only two "A"s in Dragons Dogma

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got to the part of the first DD when they made you sick your pawns on stuff for practice and nothing I did worked. gently caress you, game!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The 7th Guest posted:

also Sentry

and Suzerain DLC

Sorry I'm going to fly into free and neither you nor licensing will stop me

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The ender lilies sequel is starting in EA like the first game did so I’ll check back in whenever it’s done

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the attraction of Pacific Drive?

I watched part of an LP of it and, even as someone who likes survival games, it seems like a chore simulator with very little way to influence what progress you're making because loot is so random. Do you need to already like driving games? Because it seems to be very well made if that's something that interests you. I feel like I must be missing something for it to be so popular.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Upsidads posted:

There is only two "A"s in Dragons Dogma

The 2 is a multiplier

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Ender lillies was beautiful but he bosses had way too much hp. I think I dropped after the dark witch fight.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Loot in Pacific Drive isn't random. You do smash and grabs on sites that you know have the resources you need, you equip your ride to get better at it, and penetrate further into the zone.

I wouldn't call it a survival game, though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LLSix posted:

I watched part of an LP of it and, even as someone who likes survival games, it seems like a chore simulator with very little way to influence what progress you're making because loot is so random. Do you need to already like driving games? Because it seems to be very well made if that's something that interests you. I feel like I must be missing something for it to be so popular.

I mean it's okay to not like a game but the whole gimmick of the game is your car. Your car is a piece of poo poo with poo poo doors and panels and broken lights and whatnot. You go on runs not unlike, say, Tarkov to these other zones where you drive around and get new parts for your car that lets you upgrade it and make it more durable, or better offroad, or add floodlights, or add defensive mechanisms, etc. You run into weird anomalies and stuff out in the wild as well as crazy storms and it's generally very atmospheric to be stuck out there in it. Then you come back through an extraction sorta mechanic, craft stuff with what you grabbed at your garage, improve your car, and go out and do it again but in deeper zones with more hosed up anomalies. There's a story but it appears to kinda suck so I'm mostly in it for the looting and upgrades and messin with the car in the garage.

It's like My Summer Car + Raft + STALKER + Tarkov? Kinda? It's not really much of a survival game because the car is more or less your lifeline.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

The 7th Guest posted:

also Sentry

and Suzerain DLC

I'm really excited for the Suzerain DLC. The base game campaign was a lot of fun.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I got to the part of the first DD when they made you sick your pawns on stuff for practice and nothing I did worked. gently caress you, game!
the training? i just did it myself.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Need to exercise some financial self control and only pick one open world game coming up. Forbidden West or Ghost of Tshushima?

(I liked the first Horizon Zero Dawn -- gameplay was fun and interesting, and I loved the backstory about the end of the world, but I was largely ambivalent about the front story.)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Tsushima IMO, HFW probably won't recapture the excitement of unraveling ancient history if that was your main source of entertainment in HZD.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sab669 posted:

An entirely too kind goon sent me a copy so I guess that made up my mind :v:

I'll grab HZD HFW on sale later.

A goon randomly gifted you a €70 game? Goddamn, nice.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Average fps for around my setup is 60, which is handy since I use a 60 Hz monitor. I think that should be fine.

Performance patches should help as well. It's a demanding game but from what I'm seeing it's very stable and bug free at least. If the ps5 can run it at 30 there's no reason my pc shouldn't be able to run a stable 60.

Doesn't this use the RE Engine? I can see that being a bit of an issue. This type of game is going to be a lot more demanding than your average resident evil remake.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

Need to exercise some financial self control and only pick one open world game coming up. Forbidden West or Ghost of Tshushima?

Dragon's Dogma 2

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

A lot of people have been saying that “Dragon’s Dogma 2” will be the industry’s first AAAA game.

The A-ness of Dragon's Dogma will stretch far and wide.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

LLSix posted:

It's not that great, frankly. I got bored incredibly fast. Very cool idea and setting but I found the driving, looting and overall progression to slow and boring.

They did a good job marketing it.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
10,000,000 CPU cycles dedicated to NPC piss and poo poo :patriot:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LLSix posted:

it's a game that lives and dies on vibes - ~*~immersion~*~, if you like. the gameplay is ultimately pretty shallow

basically an ideal case for using the two hour demo to decide if the full game is worth your dosh

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Ciaphas posted:

it's a game that lives and dies on vibes - ~*~immersion~*~, if you like

and yet they put Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers and a mean science lady in constantly talking at you

(Pacific Drive is good, I'm just ignoring the story stuff beyond a certain part and enjoying vibing out to the soundtrack on runs that inevitably go sideways when I get too overzealous)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Waste of Breath posted:

and yet they put Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers and a mean science lady in constantly talking at you

(Pacific Drive is good, I'm just ignoring the story stuff beyond a certain part and enjoying vibing out to the soundtrack on runs that inevitably go sideways when I get too overzealous)

The writing and voices are fairly bad, science lady slightly less so.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sorry sorry sorry, Interlaced mode? That's not what I think it is, is it? They're not trying to rewind nearly half a century and reintroduce lovely blended images again, are they?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serephina posted:

Sorry sorry sorry, Interlaced mode? That's not what I think it is, is it? They're not trying to rewind nearly half a century and reintroduce lovely blended images again, are they?

Please, it’s called checkerboarding now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's hard to know what they're doing because they say they're testing 1080p in interlaced mode but the p in 1080p is progressive scan

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
2160i?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Waste of Breath posted:

this just made me imagine a cartalk game where you stream old episodes of cartalk from a server while, uh, driving? And maybe you can pop the hood on your tercel, but you can't fix anything because you're an npr listener

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
My Summer Cartalk would own

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fishy Flip posted:

I was also considering this choice as I've been looking foreword to both games. I played the first Dragons Dogma a while ago and couldn't get into it. It's a well regarded game though and I was hoping this new sequel would hook me. Reviews seem good so far but I'm still on the fence about a few things. The depth and strategy of the combat is something I'm still trying to understand, and quests with no markers and vague descriptions seems like it could be good or annoying I'm not sure. It just looks a lot different than other RPGs and I can't quite get my head around it. I wish it had a demo or something. I do want to try it but maybe not right now and not for $70. Ended up going with Horizon Forbidden West, because I loved Zero Dawn and this just looks like more of the same, but better, so I feel I really can't go wrong here. It's a Nixxes port so performance should be good. I'm expecting it to be similar to the first game. Dragons Dogma performance on the other hand...

Dragon's Dogma 2 performance analysis: It'll take everything your PC has and still want more

:chloe:

that's a damning article, wow: it kind of looks ok, except when it looks like poo poo, but on the plus side it runs terribly

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
why don't these guides ever show running stuff on not max settings? I play on a 3070 with 1440p, I never run anything new and AAA at max settings but i can still run just about anything at 60fps with no issues by tweaking a few things

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
The Spring Sale is almost over and I've kept myself from impulse buying anything, guys! Hopefully I can stay strong and persevere the rest of the way. Best of luck to the rest of you.

Though to be honest, it's not like buying games is bad: I just have a tendency to get a lot of cheap weird games instead of using that same amount of money to get like one must-buy game that I'd actually for sure play. Like right now I've been considering getting Wolcen because it's just $4 and I'm curious if it's all that bad when I should just get Last Epoch. I know Dungeon Siege 3 turned out to be a pleasant surprise but I don't have to keep pushing my luck!

If I'm going to get anything...maybe I should get Ender Lillies. Just $10 and the sequel is coming out soon. But then again, what's the rush? I haven't even played Bloodstained yet.

As a side note, it looks like Evil West is now on GamePass: another game that was on my wishlist that I can play for free (well, "free").

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 21, 2024

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

abraham linksys posted:

why don't these guides ever show running stuff on not max settings? I play on a 3070 with 1440p, I never run anything new and AAA at max settings but i can still run just about anything at 60fps with no issues by tweaking a few things

Don't think that's going to be the case on DD2 regardless of settings unfortunately. It's my understanding that in cities you're going to see frame rates dipping into the 30s no matter how you have the quality tuned. Open world apparently does not have these issues, but it's pretty heinous in big population areas. Still preordering that poo poo though!

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Ghostlight posted:

it's hard to know what they're doing because they say they're testing 1080p in interlaced mode but the p in 1080p is progressive scan

E: nope, sorry, that was misinformation

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Man after how many sales and demo fests in a row without buying anything does a person have to start looking deep inside himself and realize that he doesn't like video games anymore.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Man after how many sales and demo fests in a row without buying anything does a person have to start looking deep inside himself and realize that he doesn't like video games anymore.

Maybe it's worth reflecting on what it is you used to enjoy about games and what you're looking for from them now. I keep getting caught up in other people's enthusiasm for certain games and wanting that excitement for myself, but the vast majority of "objectively" fantastic games just do nothing for me, and these days there are very few games that tickle my fancy. I've slowly realised that what I'm looking for most is an interactive imaginative adventure and the game mechanics usually just get in the way, so I focus on easy adventure games or low complexity RPGs set to the easiest mode they have

And even still, I play far less of them, but I'm also clubbing far less and doing less drugs these days too so I guess it's all just part of getting older and finding more of a balance in how you spend your time and energy. Which is hardly a bad thing, endless repetition usually leads to stagnation and dissatisfaction in my experience

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I’ve come through the other side of something like this with an understanding that my tastes are now extremely narrow (and outdated), and I’m totally OK with that.

I miss being excited about big sales events but being so focused on such a narrow field of interests means I typically just buy the poo poo I want when it appears now. I’m very rarely waiting on anything to hit a discount these days.

The weirdly out of the blue classic games drop that EA did a week before the sale, with poo poo like Command and Conquer and SimCity 3000, was way more interesting to me than the sales event.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Ineffiable posted:

What is the plan for when you have more than 100 games on the wishlist? Are you just waiting for if they hit 75-90% off?

I feel like if a game hits that and you don't buy it, you probably didn't want it that bad anyway and should purge it.

Buy them all then figure out if you like them and want to keep them:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

LLSix posted:

It doesn't really revolutionize the genre in any way, but it's nice. Has the vibes, doesn't overstay it's welcome with the resource grind and has character. Usually in these games your mobile base is just a glorified crafting station with some generic platforms scattered willy nilly, but PD takes some efforts to make the station wagon feel like an unruly car first, crafting trunk second. There's quite a bit of Death Stranding appeal where you're primarily fighting against the terrain itself and weather (trust me, that car wasn't made for mountaineering) and there's a decent sense of exploration while you figure out how various anomalies interact.