Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Banks to adjust forecasts from now to not now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nonsense posted:

I think most cowboy capitalists were expecting him to cut rates at this point. Number might be happy it stayed the same though
all-time highs right now thanks to j-pow re-affirming they're Coming Soon (TM)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Increase the rates Jay. Be a hero.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
giving the game away by saying no rates cuts in '25-26' but maybe in '24

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Sydin posted:

Raise rates you cowards

nope. they are mishandling it again. inflation is going back up, energy up, housing up, equities up.

new normal

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

err posted:

nope. they are mishandling it again. inflation is going back up, energy up, housing up, equities up.

new normal

that can’t be: we raised rates! now it’s time to go back to the before times because inflation is (a bit) less bad. Rates can’t be up forever, after all!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Increase the rates Jay. Be a hero.

The people voted for pain

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

err posted:

new normal

Yeah it is looking like a 3-4% inflstion rate might be life now lol

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

err posted:

new normal

rent will never deflate as long as price fixing algos remain legal

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah it is looking like a 3-4% inflstion rate might be life now lol

j-pow (and yellin') literally said as much. the 2% inflation is dead

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
granted the 2% was already fake and made-up target anyways, but they already gave the game away by saying welp oh well, the new normal

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i'm probably gonna need a new ride soon and whatever "softening" of car prices was supposed to be happening sure doesn't show up in my searches so far

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
3-4% inflation rate means purchasing power halves every 17-20 years

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Purchasing power decreased 30% since 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Laterite posted:

i'm probably gonna need a new ride soon and whatever "softening" of car prices was supposed to be happening sure doesn't show up in my searches so far

if you can hold out maybe a little bit more, delinquencies are rising rapidly and used car market will slowly be flooded with repos and other abandoned underwater loan cars. all the gig appers are also getting priced out of even gig work

for used cars anyways, dont expect new cars to go down. also probably want to look more at smaller independent used lots than big chain retail lots

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

it's going to be the 80s again

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Laterite posted:

they are softening, last year a car cost 5,000 big macs and this year a car costs 4,000 big macs. that's a huge price drop.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol at Enron, the idea of people going to jail over a mere $600m fraud seems so quaint now

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ArmedZombie posted:

accelerationism ftw

there was never any such loving thing as accelerationism and I'm tired of pretending that it is.

like 90% of American political ideogies its just Reactionaries trying to suck their own dicks

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Twerk from Home posted:

they are softening, last year a car cost 5,000 big macs and this year a car costs 4,000 big macs. that's a huge price drop.

this is an incredibly good metric, I'm in awe

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

thechosenone posted:

How much of that is western investment? Seems like the realization of those losses would shake some things around...

Mostly investments by Chinese investors, prospective homeowners, and Chinese state owned enterprises. In the past, these sorts of losses were made good by state owned banks so they were considered foolproof investments.

Apr 7, 2003

Maybe we could give that $870k to East Palestine to help people there mitigate their issues instead, idk

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

atelier morgan posted:

"We have concluded the honeypot operation known as glassdoor"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol at ppl using their real name on the job complaining website??

Apr 7, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

When I worked at Fisher Scientific I posted on Glassdoor that they were trash and a local competitor offered me a job a few months later

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Maybe we could give that $870k to East Palestine to help people there mitigate their issues instead, idk

this is local news

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mr Hootington posted:

2.5% on average and with a bit of luck I can still retire in my mid-60s.

At 4% I work till death.

Lmao.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pink Mist posted:

rent will never deflate as long as price fixing algos remain legal

... rent will never deflate (?? do you mean go down?) at all, ever

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Homeless Friend posted:

Well the point was that people weren't.

For anyone who volunteered their name or signed up after Glassdoor required it to sync with their social network (??), yeah sure lol.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DickParasite posted:

2.5% on average and with a bit of luck I can still retire in my mid-60s.

At 4% I work till death.

Lmao.

Just put it all on black one time. 50/50 chance. That's economics baby

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean doesn't it basically have to follow wages at a certain point? Like eventually it doesn't matter what they want or what level of violence can be levied (and if anything would actually only hasten the point), people only have so much production from their labor and if they don't eventually peg it to wage increases (which would be lower than inflation) it would just cause poo poo to collapse unless they do something that is equivalent to that.

The resources the Capitalist class commands are made through the working class's labor (whether they abstract that control with financial leverage or not), so if they try to demand more than the amount needed to reproduce that labor (much less the total production) it'll just lead to immediate collapse as people fail to be able to live, and so production plummets, and so prices/consolidations increases to try to compensate, removing more people from the workforce by way of joblessness/homelessness, which results in lowered production. It's probably not related but that kinda feels like an economic supernova. Also not something that can be circumvented any more than you could make an anti-coat or whatever.

If they do end up toeing the line it'd probably result in its own gyrations as housing would no longer be inflation proof (even if they knew they could basically always keep it as a certain portion of people's income).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

thechosenone posted:

I mean doesn't it basically have to follow wages at a certain point? Like eventually it doesn't matter what they want or what level of violence can be levied (and if anything would actually only hasten the point), people only have so much production from their labor and if they don't eventually peg it to wage increases (which would be lower than inflation) it would just cause poo poo to collapse unless they do something that is equivalent to that.

The resources the Capitalist class commands are made through the working class's labor (whether they abstract that control with financial leverage or not), so if they try to demand more than the amount needed to reproduce that labor (much less the total production) it'll just lead to immediate collapse as people fail to be able to live, and so production plummets, and so prices/consolidations increases to try to compensate, removing more people from the workforce by way of joblessness/homelessness, which results in lowered production. It's probably not related but that kinda feels like an economic supernova. Also not something that can be circumvented any more than you could make an anti-coat or whatever.

If they do end up toeing the line it'd probably result in its own gyrations as housing would no longer be inflation proof (even if they knew they could basically always keep it as a certain portion of people's income).

K-shaped/bifurcated economy where slop is priced low enough for the masses to subsist, but anything of actually decent quality is priced to the moon

and thanks to infinite money printing, any material economic concerns are transformed into increasingly tangible and insurmountable class differences that are entrenched further and further into inviolability, until the upper class is practically nobility -- they're born into access to money, and there's no other way to enter that class

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

K-shaped/bifurcated economy where slop is priced low enough for the masses to subsist, but anything of actually decent quality is priced to the moon

and thanks to infinite money printing, any material economic concerns are transformed into increasingly tangible and insurmountable class differences that are entrenched further and further into inviolability, until the upper class is practically nobility -- they're born into access to money, and there's no other way to enter that class

This is literally the current situation and they aren't able to keep the stuff priced to the moon decent, aren't willing to keep the slop priced for subsistence, and they are being kicked out of Africa bit by bit and somehow unable to cope with a blockade by a nation with no navy.

What exactly do you think is gonna make them stop where they are and suddenly be efficient little miser kings who don't mind playing second banana to developed countries?

Edit: Honestly I'm more interested in what you think they'll call the que to sinch everything up and stop making GBS threads on themselves. Do you think they're just pretending to be idiots who don't know what they're doing and that they'll suddenly gain the competency to pull up from the nosedive they've put the West in?

Edit2: Do you think that they're just losing Ukraine and Everything else on purpose or that it doesn't matter? If not, what do you think control of the global south was being used for?

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 04:10 on Mar 21, 2024

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
i just love the implication that capitalists will ascend in power by transforming into the aristocracy, the class that the capitalists famously annihilated two centuries ago

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I think there was a time where appearing buffoonish about the economy while also running it exactly to spec was an act, but we've got enough generations of oafish, silver spooned believers in there now who don't recognize the kayfabe rhetoric for what it was, just like how the Republicans were taken over by people who believed the things Republicans said, and now they're all too weird to talk to unless you have lead poisoning.

For better or worse, I think most things in America are finally being run by people exactly as craven, insulated, stupid, and self interested as you'd need to be to think the world is going to run on crypto and NFTs, and that it's going to make you richer somehow, because getting richer is all you're used to and it's the only outcome you know how to plan for or process.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the collapse discourse strikes me as rebadged accelerationism driven by people frustrated by lack of political progress. i think the most extreme example so far was the poster who was calling the end of industrial civilization within the next decade

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

shrike82 posted:

the collapse discourse strikes me as rebadged accelerationism driven by people frustrated by lack of political progress. i think the most extreme example so far was the poster who was calling the end of industrial civilization within the next decade

gonna need you to be more specific

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

thechosenone posted:

This is literally the current situation and they aren't able to keep the stuff priced to the moon decent, aren't willing to keep the slop priced for subsistence, and they are being kicked out of Africa bit by bit and somehow unable to cope with a blockade by a nation with no navy.

What exactly do you think is gonna make them stop where they are and suddenly be efficient little miser kings who don't mind playing second banana to developed countries?

Edit: Honestly I'm more interested in what you think they'll call the que to sinch everything up and stop making GBS threads on themselves. Do you think they're just pretending to be idiots who don't know what they're doing and that they'll suddenly gain the competency to pull up from the nosedive they've put the West in?

Edit2: Do you think that they're just losing Ukraine and Everything else on purpose or that it doesn't matter? If not, what do you think control of the global south was being used for?

I feel like you're responding to a lot of stuff that might be tangentially related to what I posted but isn't actually in my post. I didn't mention Africa, or "making them stop" or Ukraine or anything. I'm happy to respond to you but I'm not going to just wildly shoot sentences out there if I don't know what I'm actually responding to.

stumblebum posted:

i just love the implication that capitalists will ascend in power by transforming into the aristocracy, the class that the capitalists famously annihilated two centuries ago

Is this really so far-fetched? All it requires is a monopolistic treatment of excessive multiples of money that the average, non-upper-class individual has access to. This is the explicit goal of capitalism, and the concept of "generational wealth" is pretty well-accepted.

If you dig into the economic data for pre-revolutionary France you'll quickly notice that nobility just so happened to be about 1% of the population and controlled over 90% of the wealth in France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
tell me more about the universal peak of social power represented by the ruling class of the "pre-revolutionary" Kingdom of France