Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
For what it's worth, Cosmo Jarvis really doesn't have a lot of credits to his name and the biggest one is Peaky Blinders (with Tom Hardy). I imagine he's just pulling from what he knows. Seems like he's mostly a singer/songwriter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Cosmo jarvis would have probably been a disaster as the straightforward hero in a blackthorne-forward adaptation a la the 80s version. Fortunately he's pretty well suited to being a tom hardy esque lumpy goblin in an ensemble cast

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It is kind of funny then kind of sad then really loving sad that Blackthorn and Buntaro are just having a dick waving contest with sake, ignoring the women who don't think it's a great idea and at first you think hell yeah Englishman you know what you CAN do better than the Japanese? Pour back that BOOOZE, son!

But then the fallout of an explosive, mean drunk who happens to also be a dangerous loving samurai manifests itself, so congratulations John. Now who has to end up paying the price for your pig headed hubris? The woman you're falling for, that's who. She's the one who gets beaten. Maybe you should have read the room before pouring kerosene on an open flame.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I vote for LESS eating scenes.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Getting extremely poo poo faced drunk is a big part of Japanese culture

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

TraderStav posted:

In early episodes she does some fantastic eye acting with having them bounce back and forth trying to figure the situation out. I've really noticed how well her non-verbal presence is. Definitely A+ casting here

Not a book-reader, would someone care to weigh in on the lack of exposure we have to the opposing force(s) in Osaka through Ishido and the plot lines with the Black Ship/Portugeese? Seems like these lines have really taken a back seat, but is that intentional and we are not meant to really understand their machinations?

In the book we have almost zero exposure to what Ishido's planning or doing. Martin Alvito is occasionally a POV character but the machinations in Osaka are mostly invisible until they're directly communicated to Toranaga

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

hailthefish posted:

In the book we have almost zero exposure to what Ishido's planning or doing. Martin Alvito is occasionally a POV character but the machinations in Osaka are mostly invisible until they're directly communicated to Toranaga

Thanks, this is where I think the comparisons to GoT start to fall apart. I'm not sure what would be a more apt comparison off the cuff, but having the cloak of war surround the protagonists is a very different feel that GoT. While you got surprises, each character/opposing force was established and fleshed out along the narrative so when the surprise dropped, you put it all together.

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out, but glad halfway through I see the disconnect and to stop looking to see what's happening on the other side of the veil.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I wish they'd portray Ishido a little more sympathetically - I guess there's still time to do so though. He's kind of just been played up as Toranaga's rival (this is how it is in the book too) but the thing that gets glossed over, the main reason he opposes Toranaga so strongly, is because Toranaga is a serious political threat and Ishido firmly backs the young heir of the Taiko. He's taking his role as regent more seriously than anyone else on the council.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I wish they'd portray Ishido a little more sympathetically - I guess there's still time to do so though. He's kind of just been played up as Toranaga's rival (this is how it is in the book too) but the thing that gets glossed over, the main reason he opposes Toranaga so strongly, is because Toranaga is a serious political threat and Ishido firmly backs the young heir of the Taiko. He's taking his role as regent more seriously than anyone else on the council.

Yeah, Ishido's equivalent was arguably the good guy of the conflict and Tokugawa was pretty openly amassing power for himself from the get-go. It's just it's called the Tokugawa Shogunate, and not the Toyotomi Shogunate, because he won.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think toranaga or ishido are portrayed that sympathetically, but that's probably appropriate, they are both absolutely sociopathic schemers. One just happens to see the use in blackthorne, and is generally better at playing the manipulator game

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't think toranaga or ishido are portrayed that sympathetically, but that's probably appropriate, they are both absolutely sociopathic schemers. One just happens to see the use in blackthorne, and is generally better at playing the manipulator game

I think your take is correct if you take a look at it from 10,000 feet, but for most viewers Toranaga is definitely being perceived as "the good guy"

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Lady Ochiba speaks like an anime villain to my untrained ear - is there a term for that manner of speaking? The enunciation seems particularly sharp in comparison to most of the other characters, in a “each syllable is a reminder that I have a dagger to your throat” way.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yea, and I think that's something that's forgotten so far with Toranaga. He's portrayed as a sympathetic character, but he's also amassed a very large army well, he did previous to this episode, captured the mother of the heir and is trying to be, and is, very kind to the heir themselves. He's got a background of being a relative to Shogun, and denies it, but he seems to kind of be doing it anyway. He's consoled with a barbarian that basically just offered him info that hasn't been given to Ishido, because Blackthorne says so and has cannons?

I dunno, but i'm getting more and more on Ishido's side.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think your take is correct if you take a look at it from 10,000 feet, but for most viewers Toranaga is definitely being perceived as "the good guy"

This is part of why I think it could be genuinely interesting to take the story beyond sekigahara. You could take a lot of the bullshit evasive sheen off of toranaga watching him come directly to the point and finally ruthlessly obliterating ochiba and the heir

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

This is part of why I think it could be genuinely interesting to take the story beyond sekigahara. You could take a lot of the bullshit evasive sheen off of toranaga watching him come directly to the point and finally ruthlessly obliterating ochiba and the heir

Yeah it'd loving rule and you'd get good stuff like Sanada Yukimura's "The Hero who appears once a century" defense of Osaka against the Tokugawa clan

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Nybble posted:

Lady Ochiba speaks like an anime villain to my untrained ear - is there a term for that manner of speaking? The enunciation seems particularly sharp in comparison to most of the other characters, in a “each syllable is a reminder that I have a dagger to your throat” way.

Maybe some variety of an Ojousama? The sort of haughty rich lady who covers her mouth while laughing "ooo-ho-ho-ho-ho" at the peasants.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 21, 2024

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Ojousama been plottin'

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Pimps and Hos portion of the plot is essentially unavoidable and I hope it's great when we finally get it on screen.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Nybble posted:

That courtly way of speaking comes from old jidaigeki period dramas (and kabuki I suppose). Anime then took that and ran with it. And now here we are seeing it in a modern period drama.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Pimps and Hos portion of the plot is essentially unavoidable and I hope it's great when we finally get it on screen.

I'm really looking forward to it. If they do it right, it's going to be devastatingly bittersweet, and a bit gross.

edit; wait, I just assumed this was when Blackthorne sees his men again, but you might be referring to something else?

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 21, 2024

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i assumed it was about toranaga legalizing a red light district in exchange for buying kiku to remove her as a distraction for omi and introduce her as a distraction to blackthorne

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Paper Lion posted:

i assumed it was about toranaga legalizing a red light district in exchange for buying kiku to remove her as a distraction for omi and introduce her as a distraction to blackthorne

Ah, righto. But there's still definitely hos hanging out with those filthy Dutch guys.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The actor who plays Ishido is awesome. I find him impossible to look away from. I guess that’s called charisma.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess they must want to do something with kiku considering she is in scenes but she feels like she's living on the borderline of being a cut character so far. And honestly I don't know if she should get a lot of time past the halfway point, having not really invested any before the halfway point

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yeah, considering how efficient this show has been with who does what when, I'm sure we'll see more of her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hoping one of y'all can clear up something that's been nagging me.

They make a deal with the Black Ship that includes Blackthorne staying in Osaka. Then he's just like "nah gently caress that" and takes over the ship and follows them through the blockade and races them out of the harbor.

Why is anyone on his ship obeying him in that situation?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Hoping one of y'all can clear up something that's been nagging me.

They make a deal with the Black Ship that includes Blackthorne staying in Osaka. Then he's just like "nah gently caress that" and takes over the ship and follows them through the blockade and races them out of the harbor.

Why is anyone on his ship obeying him in that situation?

I would say A. It's the same ship they took through the storm so he pretty much saved all of their lives, and B. they've been working for toranaga so they are themselves very far from safe in osaka and also kinda needed to get away

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I would say A. It's the same ship they took through the storm so he pretty much saved all of their lives, and B. they've been working for toranaga so they are themselves very far from safe in osaka and also kinda needed to get away

Ahhhh, yeah both those make sense. Thanks!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

(Vin Diesel voice) Because Captain-sama is family.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ohana means family, and family means no one is left behind or forgotten.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I live my life a quarter of a koku at a time. Nothing else matters: not the ship, not the damned Portuguese , not my wife or my children I have never seen. It doesn’t matter if you win by an inch or a league. SHIGATA GA NAI this is my chosen family. The people in this room.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Ballz posted:

I wanna give the actress playing Fuji a shoutout, she really nails the :shepface: multiple times when dealing with Blackthorne in the first half of the episode.

The latest episode of the official podcast has an interview with her, and she talks about how she focused on gestures and looks to compensate for linguistic barriers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwGm3dti5TY

Interview starts at about 8:25, but the producers talk about her character for a minute or two beforehand.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Poor lady keeps being saddled with unbelievable dumbasses as partners so I love her mixture of exasperation with Blackthorne and determination to keep him from getting himself killed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So there's something I've been thinking about but I'm not clear on yet.

What would have happened if Yabu actually caught the "spy" he was looking for, the real one or the scapegoat? Could he have gotten away with punishing/killing the spy? How does he tell Toranaga what happened? "Hey boss, I'm still totally loyal to you and would never lie or hide things from you. But also I found the guy that was reporting to you and I boiled him alive so he can't do that anymore. But I don't have anything to hide, I swear!" I know Yabu's playing both sides is kind of an open secret, but it seems like it would be hard to keep up pretenses after that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My assumption is that the spy would mysteriously "disappear" or be killed by "bandits", and Yabu and Toranaga would both pretend that they had no idea anything important had happened.

The benefit for Yabu would be not having to worry about Toranaga immediately knowing things that Yabu didn't want him to (at least immediately).

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I love the laugh that Toranaga gives when Blackthorne offers him his swords, clearly knowing their true provenance.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

William Adams' actual story is honestly also interesting enough to keep going with that thread, yeah. There's definitely something there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Scoss posted:

I love the laugh that Toranaga gives when Blackthorne offers him his swords, clearly knowing their true provenance.

"Tell the Anjin that I accept his mall kiosk swords"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
(hangs swords above his living room tv)

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The final twist is revealing those same swords ended up in Stringer Bell's apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Scoss posted:

Loved this moment. He acknowledges their past but their actions in the moment give the swords a new, more important meaning. Sort of like how Mariko said that words imbue otherwise unimportant things with meaning.