Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bedpan posted:

two days ago, I heard the person in the office across from my cubical tell another person: "I've tested positive but I am not symptomatic"

I'm not sick but I'm not well
And it's a sin to live so well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsMjEeEg4g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

bedpan posted:

two days ago, I heard the person in the office across from my cubical tell another person: "I've tested positive but I am not symptomatic"

socially well adjusted person follows CDC guidelines

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I sure am thinking about Krishnamurti's "it is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society" quote a lot these days

Hope your friend heals up, Gunshow :smith:

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

our friend who has lupus has been in and out of the hospital the last two weeks, she's been diagnosed with interstitial lung disease

just... absolutely dire

Sorry to hear that. And wow, the symptoms overlap with something my wife has been dealing with for a while, although perhaps "milder" than your friend's case. She's in remission from another autoimmune illness but has had a dry cough and some other issues for a long time (never had COVID). Just had a chest x-ray for it this morning, in fact. Hoping it isn't yet another chronic illness.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Jort Fortress posted:

Sorry to hear that. And wow, the symptoms overlap with something my wife has been dealing with for a while, although perhaps "milder" than your friend's case. She's in remission from another autoimmune illness but has had a dry cough and some other issues for a long time (never had COVID). Just had a chest x-ray for it this morning, in fact. Hoping it isn't yet another chronic illness.

i hope she finds a treatment regimen that works! Sorry to hear y'all are strugglin, small victory that she's in remission.

now... I'm gonna be honest we are now literally good cop bad copping our friend in concert with her husband to get her to stop sneaking cigarettes lol so there is some grim humor in the level of self-inflicted misery she now experiences. Fortunately she has not had covid this go round, to our knowledge.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Mar 20, 2024

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i hope she finds a treatment regimen that works! Sorry to hear y'all are strugglin, small victory that she's in remission.

now... I'm gonna be honest we are now literally good cop bad copping our friend in concert with her husband to get her to stop sneaking cigarettes lol so there is some grim humor in the level of self-inflicted misery she now experiences. Fortunately she has not had covid this go round, to our knowledge.

it is very hard to quit smoking. very, very hard. hope your friend finds a way to get and stay comparatively better off.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bedpan posted:

cdc guidelines working hard, thank you

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.
Just checking, does anyone know if there is a difference between the Aranet4 Home that's for sale
at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Aranet4-Home-Temperature-Ink-Configuration/dp/B07YY7BH2W/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
vs
aranet itself https://shop.aranet.com/north-america/product/aranet4-home
? Noticing that the two have different Product IDs/SKU (TDSPC003.001 vs TDSPC0H3.022)

Wanna pick one up, trying to see if there's a reason to go with one vs the other aside from price

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I could be wrong and just making assumptions but the one on Amazon is their older stock that they never sold while the one on their website is ones they made recently?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think they're exactly the same

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Never gonna have a better moment: I hooked up my CO2 sensor to home assistant, and it's kind of freaky how sensitive they are: I can spot when my cat leaves Fort Warms in the morning :ninja:

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/woman-has-hand-amputated-after-freak-accident-with-hair-dryer-1.6814825

young people falling unconscious out of nowhere is a story I have heard repeated countless times in the past few years, but never before then

being out like a light for 20 minutes as your flesh is getting charred to the bone.... loving hell. fortunately the 'freak accident' framing precludes causality so lets just move on

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

lid stans btfo 🙄

i will never not close the lid before flushing

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Bixington posted:

I'd like to earnestly thank everybody who dredges through the papers and highlights critical bits, especially Pingui.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Okay this is kinda pretty weird

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/japan-records-first-human-to-human-transmission-of-tick-borne-disease

quote:

Japan records first human-to-human transmission of tick-borne disease
A doctor in his 20s contracted the infection from an elderly patient who died. The doctor’s condition has since improved.

The first human-to-human transmission of a viral infection linked to ticks was recorded in Japan, the country’s National Institute of Infectious Diseases said on March 19.

A doctor in his 20s contracted the infection – severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome (SFTS) – from a male patient in his 90s, reported The Yomiuri Shimbun. The elderly patient was diagnosed with the disease in April 2023.

Symptoms of SFTS include fever, low blood platelet count, and influenza-like symptoms or gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea and diarrhoea, according to the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID) in Singapore.

When the patient died, the doctor removed his intravenous drip and soon developed a 38 deg C fever and other symptoms. He was diagnosed with the disease nine days later.

Human-to-human transmission was confirmed after the genes of the viruses in the two men were found to be identical. The doctor’s condition has since improved.

The disease is most commonly transmitted from infected animals such as cattle and rodents to humans through a tick bite, according to the NCID website.

There is no evidence that suggests the main vector, the Asian long-horned tick, is established in tropical countries such as Singapore.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Strep Vote posted:

They don't think anything's wrong, op.

Anecdotal, but I read a post from a POTS sufferer who gets enormous benefit from wearing a tightly laced corset to mechanically keep her blood in her head. Throw it on the pile of patients figuring poo poo out before the medical establishment.

They're a goon, or former goon, dunno if they read the thread or still have an account. (We're tumblr mutuals.)

Did everyone see the loving abysmal Freddie De Boer Covid piece in Truth Out? It's bad. Anyway, he's now harassing Long Covid patients who tried to educate them by telling them it's fake it.

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1770042999541530983

https://twitter.com/jewstein3000/status/1769423278450319656

Hey, remember when he spread fake rape accusations about Malcolm Harris and tried to ruin his life and then said he'd log off? Why the gently caress did we let him come back.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Bold lines in the tables are new since the previous update.

Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.

pre:
Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.
County		Shed ID	Ref.	Date	Trend	7-Day Change
Jefferson	PT	(1)	Mar-13	DOWN	   - 55%
Mason		Biobot	(4)	Mar-16	STEADY	   ±  6%
Skagit		ANA	(1)	Mar-14	DOWN	   - 35%
Skagit		MV	(1)	Mar-14	STEADY	   ±  9%
Whatcom		LYN	(1)	Mar-14	DOWN	   - 45%
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]
Island		COUP	(1)	Mar-15	DOWN	   - 65%
Island		OH	(1)	Mar-15	DOWN	   - 40%
Snohomish	APP	(1)	Mar-14	STEADY	   ±  3%
Snohomish	ARL	(1)	Mar-14	STEADY	   ±  0%
Snohomish	EVR	(1)	Mar-13	STEADY	   ±  9%
Snohomish	STAN	(1)	Mar-11	DOWN	   - 70%
Snohomish	256	(3)	Mar-13	DOWN	   - 20%
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]
King		BWT	(1)	Mar-13	DOWN	   - 50%
King		KCS	(1)	Mar-13	DOWN	   - 25%
King		WSPT	(1)	Mar-12	UP	   + 55%
South Puget Sound & Southwest

pre:
South Puget Sound & Southwest
Clark		MRPK	(1)	Mar-13	DOWN	   - 20%
Clark		SNCK	(1)	Mar-14	DOWN	   - 60%
Clark		VWS	(1)	Mar-13	DOWN	   - 20%
Lewis		Biobot	(4)	Mar-02	n/a	      --
Pierce		CC	(1)	Mar-15	UP	   + 45%
Pierce		PUY	(1)	Mar-14	UP	   + 35%
Thurston	LOTT	(1)	Mar-13	DOWN	   - 20%
North & South Central Wash.

pre:
North & South Central Wash.
Benton		WRCH	(1)	Mar-12	DOWN	   - 25%
Chelan		WEN	(1)	Mar-14	DOWN	   - 65%
Grant		EPH	(1)	Mar-13	DOWN	   - 75%
Kittitas	ELL	(1)	Mar-14	DOWN	   - 15%
Okanogan	BRW	(1)	Mar-14	DOWN	   - 40%
Yakima		YAK	(1)	Mar-14	DOWN	   - 40%
Northeast & Southeast Wash.

pre:
Northeast & Southeast Wash.
Franklin	PAS	(1)	Mar-15	DOWN	   - 25%
Spokane		RP	(1)	Mar-15	DOWN	   - 75%
Spokane		SPK	(1)	Mar-15	UP	   + 65%
Walla Walla	WALLA	(1)	Mar-14	DOWN	   - 20%
Whitman		PLM	(1)	Mar-11	DOWN	   - 35%
Solid lines are generated from normalized and smoothed data provided by the Washington State Department of Health (WADoH Ref. (1) ), Verily/WastewaterSCAN (WWS Ref. (3) ), and Biobot (Ref. (4) ).

White diamond dots are from most recent CDC/NWSS (Ref. (2) ) data scaled to supplement missing or out-dated data when available.

Because each of these four groups use different normalization methods, different smoothing methods, and different averaging/location identifiers, the concentration of virus is not comparable between locations. See reference links at the bottom of this post for more details.

There are 33 sewersheds distributed across 6 charts grouped by region then alphabetized by county and sewershed. The tables below contain WADoH or NWSS/WSS IDs (to match their respective dashboards), Date last sampled, Trend (based on the change between the averages of the two most recent weeks), and 7-Day Change (approx. amount the trend has increased or decreased).

All data presented are smoothed in some degree to even out inconsistent sampling dates and extreme highs and lows. Most sewersheds are sampled 1-3 times a week and are published within a week. Some locations are late reporting by 10 days or more so be sure to note your sewershed's Date in the table or graph. Locations that are more than two weeks old will have n/a listed under Trend to indicate there it is out of date.

References with links to details on y-axis units, normalization protocols, data limitations, and sampling methods:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Man if long COVID were actually a conspiracy that eventually destroys capitalism that would be way cooler than the truth.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:
week of:    3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week Wkly Trend	Total
Mar 10            -        -        -    + 1,344    ↓ 17.0%     1,344
Mar 03            -        -    1,543       + 76    ↓ 24.1%     1,619
Feb 25            -    1,976      132       + 24    ↓ 17.8%     2,132
Feb 18        2,371      160       59        + 3     ↓ 3.9%     2,593
Feb 11          272       25       11        + 4    ↓ 10.2%     2,697
Thru 2023       193       58        9        + 1              168,195
Emergency Visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:
Mar 10            -        -        -      + 497    ↓ 16.3%       497
Mar 03            -        -      602        - 8    ↓ 25.6%       594
Feb 25            -      701       46       + 51    ↓ 12.2%       798
Feb 18          804       55       50          -     ↓ 3.7%       909
Feb 11            8       52        -          -    ↓ 15.9%       944
Thru 2023        52        -        -          -               57,331

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:
Mar 10            -        -        -      + 250     ↑ 9.6%       250
Mar 03            -        -      263       - 35    ↓ 15.6%       228
Feb 25            -      274       -4          -     ↑ 6.3%       270
Feb 18          309      -55        -          -    ↓ 10.2%       254
Feb 11          -61       -1        -          -    ↓ 15.0%       283
Thru 2023         1        -        -          -               16,746
Total occupied inpatient beds (excludes ICU beds) used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Mar 10            -        -        -    + 1,113    ↓ 17.6%     1,113
Mar 03            -        -    1,351          -    ↓ 15.7%     1,351
Feb 25            -    1,603        -          -     ↓ 5.4%     1,603
Feb 18        1,694        -        -          -    ↓ 13.3%     1,694
Feb 11            -        -        -          -    ↓ 10.9%     1,953
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -              109,480
Total occupied ICU beds used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
ICU in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Mar 10            -        -        -       + 91    ↓ 35.0%        91
Mar 03            -        -      140          -    ↓ 16.7%       140
Feb 25            -      168        -          -     ↓ 4.0%       168
Feb 18          175        -        -          -    ↓ 21.9%       175
Feb 11            -        -        -          -     ↓ 8.6%       224
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -               12,334
Recent deaths certified/coded as, or referencing to, COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent two weeks of data are incomplete.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:
Mar 10            -        -        -          -          -         -
Mar 03            -        -        -       + 15    ↓ 28.6%        15
Feb 25            -        -       16        + 5    ↓ 40.0%        21
Feb 18            -       30        4        + 1     ↓ 7.9%        35
Feb 11           31        5        1        + 1          -        38
Thru 2023         6        1        3        + 3                1,818
Notes on Data and Limitations:
  • In this post I provide alternative visualizations for the overall weekly disease activity and reporting on weekly confirmed case positives, emergency department (ED) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients/occupied hospital beds, and confirmed deaths. Additionally I provide changes in COVID-19 activity due to backfill.
  • Trends are calculated based on the % change in the totals for the most recent week of data compared to the second most recent. This differs from the state's trend % as they are doing a % change of a % of ED visits and hospitalizations, respectively.
  • Columns with a bright bar are the new additions for this week's report. Darker columns are from previously published weekly reports. An outlined column is where previously established numbers have been reduced with this week's report.
  • These graphs were put together by using a multitude of resources spanning from the Washington State Department of Health all the way to the CDC and HHS. All of these state and federal reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday 7-day definition.
  • Reinfections are only counted when equal to or greater than 90 days since prior recorded infection unless both samples were sequenced and found to be different subvariants.
  • All numbers except for cases and deaths are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Totals are extrapolated by applying the state's weekly hospitalizations or ED visit % to the HHS' reporting of hospitalizations and ED visits due to all causes. Beds occupied by COVID-19 is the weekly average multiplied by 7 days, and beds occupied by influenza is from HHS reports.
  • A COVID-19, Influenza, or RSV death is only counted by the state if data is complete (cause of death is attributed to the disease and there is an associated laboratory positive test with no period of complete recovery between illness and death). The only exception is that RSV does not need a test, only that it is indicated as cause on the death certificate.
---
Sources:

Zantie has issued a correction as of 02:49 on Mar 21, 2024

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Are there any contemporary leftist writings from the Spanish Flu era?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Shiroc posted:

There was that whole russian revolution thing

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Forgot to pop in the link to the combo Flu/RSV/COVID chart

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Shiroc posted:

what are you interested in? tbf all of the russian/german revolution era writers were publishing monumental works at the time

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what are you interested in? tbf all of the russian/german revolution era writers were publishing monumental works at the time

In the covid thread I assumed it would be clear that I was interested in stuff related to their takes on the Spanish Flu and not "hey were communists writing about anything at all in the late 1910s and early 1920s?"

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
are you saying that the german writings are not germane

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I think by virtue of the particular epoch both politically and scientifically it's a relatively barren canon. Strange time for germ theory, considering prevention had been developed and proven as powerful, but intervention and treatment had zippo. Strange time for political thought considering the absolutely overwhelming coincidence of the socialist revolutions and the war. Strange time for what now would be described as public health considering the wild flux of political thought and regime power, the reorientation of institutions and such. I think this confluence naturally resulted in a dearth of I dunno "serious" publications about it.

There's also a lot of Engels influenced things where thinkers consider plagues and public health issues like sanitation as... givens? Because they'd already been described at a very high level and said "it's obvious that these things are used a measures of social control".

From what I've seen, the flu pandemic was largely REdiscovered at various times in retrospect.

e: tbf there was also major disruptions in dissemination / centralization of authority in publishing of what would be relevant information during the time. there was a book published in 2021 called Pandemic Re-Awakenings: The Forgotten and Unforgotten 'Spanish' Flu of 1918-1919 that I was referred to and skimmed but did not dig in on

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 03:44 on Mar 21, 2024

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm not sick but I'm not well
And it's a sin to live so well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsMjEeEg4g

I listened to two full harvey danger albums today at work thanks to this :3:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hellequin posted:

They're a goon, or former goon, dunno if they read the thread or still have an account. (We're tumblr mutuals.)

Did everyone see the loving abysmal Freddie De Boer Covid piece in Truth Out? It's bad. Anyway, he's now harassing Long Covid patients who tried to educate them by telling them it's fake it.

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1770042999541530983

https://twitter.com/jewstein3000/status/1769423278450319656

Hey, remember when he spread fake rape accusations about Malcolm Harris and tried to ruin his life and then said he'd log off? Why the gently caress did we let him come back.

DeBoer is like a grown-in-a-lab reference specimen of white dude toxicity made by anti-Bernie libs

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

It's the first day of spring! Remember to check your corsi cube filters and on your elastomeric respirator filters to replace them if needed to

change your smoke detector batteries too! not only is it a good thing to do in general, but Covid means you might not smell the smoke.

(this actually happened to my mom - she’s fine, but it was a close call)

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Spring time for filters is an unfortunate mnemonic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bred posted:

Spring time for filters is an unfortunate mnemonic.

We're marching to a higher rate
Look out, we’re gonna accelerate

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Springtime for filters, and batteries!

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Never gonna have a better moment: I hooked up my CO2 sensor to home assistant, and it's kind of freaky how sensitive they are: I can spot when my cat leaves Fort Warms in the morning :ninja:

My biggest takeaway from owning an Aranet is the ventilation in my apartment loving sucks. First night here I slept with my bedroom doors closed and woke up to 2400. Now I make a point of throwing open the windows for at least 15-20 minutes a day and it's made an enormous difference in how I feel.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Spent aaaaalllll fuckin day hanging out in a hospital and wow is covid ever over in there. I saw 2 staff members wearing real masks, 3 if you count the guy who immediately took his off the second he entered my field of view

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
Had an appointment today, covid signs up everywhere, cutesy graphics saying "Cool Cats Wear Masks". The person at the desk asks me to read a sheet with covid symptons on it and I respond "Nope, I'm good on covid. The mask works."

They responded "Yeah they're great, I made it through the entire pandemic because I masked up." After checking me in they looked up from behind the monitor sporting a surgical hanging from one ear like it was an earring.

lol. covid is over.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The nasal spray stuff that's supposed to help with reducing odds of contracting covid is easier to acquire in Canada, right? I've got a friend who's going to see family soon and is all stressed out about it and I want to give them some actionable advice.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
you mean flo brand and/or betadine brand iota-karageenan nasal spray, the inexpensive nasal spray that electrostatically blocks the virus, without the burning ingredients of epothex brand? i... do not know about canada specifically, hopefully someone else does and that gets you started

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah that's the stuff, I thought I remembered reading in here awhile back that it was easier to acquire outside of the US vs in the US, but admittedly I don't keep up with things as good as I should

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
oh just kidding, i have info
Flo (example listing https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KPRNYHZ )
someone posted "Flo is made by an Australian pharmaceutical company, and you can buy it from this Australian online pharmacy, which ships internationally. It took about a week to ship to the East Coast. Especially if you order enough to get free shipping, it's a lot cheaper than Amazon too."
https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/flo-travel-nasal-spray-20ml

Betadine (https://www.amazon.com/BETADINE-Defence-NASPAL-Canadian-Packaging/dp/B082331GXK/ )
This is the one that you want canadian packaging of to make sure you're getting the right product (iota carageenan). I think here is where the correct thing started being sold in the US too:
https://www.northernvitality.us/products/betadine-cold-defence-nasal-spray-20ml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
xpost stolen from biosphere thread so no one here misses it

reveal yourself, covid thread poster Arthur Koestler of 1944

Arthur Koestler, New York Times Magazine, 1944 posted:

On Disbelieving Atrocities

There is a dream which keeps coming back to me at almost regular intervals; it is dark, and I am being murdered in some kind of thicket or brushwood; there is a busy road at no more than ten yards distance; I scream for help but nobody hears me, the crowd walks past laughing and chatting.

I know that a great many people share, with individual variations, the same type of dream. I have quarreled about it with analysts and I believe it to be an archetype in the Jungian sense; an expression of the individual’s ultimate loneliness when faced with death and cosmic violence, and his inability to communicate the unique horror of his experience. I further believe that it is the root of the ineffectiveness of our atrocity propaganda.

For, after all, you are the crowd who walk past laughing on the road; and there are a few of us, escaped victims or eyewitnesses of the things which happen in the thicket and who, haunted by our memories, go on screaming on the wireless, yelling at you in newspapers and in public meetings, theatres and cinemas. Now and then we succeed in reaching your ear for a minute. I know it each time it happens by a certain dumb wonder on your faces, a faint glassy stare entering your eye; and I tell myself: Now you have got them, now hold them, bold them, so that they will remain awake; but it only lasts a minute. You shake yourself like puppies who have got their fur wet; then the transparent screen descends again and you walk on, protected by the dream-barrier which stifles all sound.

We, the screamers, have been at it now for about ten years. We started on the night when the epileptic Van der Lubbe set fire to the German Parliament; we said that if you don’t quench those flames at once, they will spread all over the world; you thought we were maniacs. At present we have the mania of trying to tell you about the killing, by hot steam, mass-electrocution and live burial of the total Jewish population of Europe. So far three million have died. It is the greatest mass-killing in recorded history; and it goes on daily, hourly, as regularly as the ticking of your watch.

I have photographs before me on the desk while I am writing this, and that accounts for my emotion and bitterness. People died to smuggle them out of Poland; they thought it was worth while. The facts have been published in pamphlets, White Books, newspapers, magazines and what not. But the other day I met one of the best-known American journalists over here. He told me that in the course of some recent public opinion survey nine out of ten average American citizens, when asked whether they believed that the Nazis commit atrocities, answered that it was all propaganda lies, and that they didn’t believe a word of it.

As to this country, I have been lecturing now for three years to the troops, and their attitude is the same. They don’t believe in concentration camps, they don’t believe in the starved children of Greece, in the shot hostages of France, in the mass-graves of Poland; they have never heard of Lidice, Treblinka or Belzec; you can convince them for an hour, then they shake themselves, their mental self-defense begins to work and in a week the shrug of incredulity has returned like a reflex temporarily weakened by a shock.

Clearly all this is becoming a mania with me and my like. Clearly we must suffer from some morbid obsession, whereas the others are healthy and normal. But the characteristic symptom of maniacs is that they lose contact with reality and live in a fantasy world. So, perhaps, it is the other way round: perhaps it is we, the screamers, who react in a sound and healthy way to the reality which surrounds us, whereas you are the neurotics who totter about in a screened fantasy world because you lack the faculty to face the facts. Were it not so, this war would have been avoided, and those murdered within sight of your day-dreaming eyes would still be alive. I said “perhaps,” because obviously the above can only be half the truth.

There have been screamers at all times—prophets, preachers, teachers and cranks—cursing the obtuseness of their contemporaries, and the situation-pattern remained very much the same. There are always the screamers screaming from the thicket and the people who pass by on the road. They have ears but hear not, they have eyes but see not. So the roots of this must lie deeper than mere obtuseness.

Is it perhaps the fault of the screamers? Sometimes, no doubt, but I do not believe this to be the core of the matter. Amos, Hosea, Jeremiah were pretty good propagandists and yet they failed to shake their people and to warn them. Cassandra’s voice was said to have pierced walls, and yet the Trojan war took place. And at our end of the chain—in due proportion—I believe that on the whole the M.O.I. and B.B.C. are quite competent at their job. For almost three years they had to keep this country going on nothing but defeats, and they succeeded.

But at the same time they lamentably failed to imbue the people with anything approaching a full awareness of what it was all about, of the grandeur and horror of the time into which they were born. They carried on, business-as-usual style, with the only difference that the routine of this business included killing and being killed. Matter-of-fact unimaginativeness has become a kind of Anglo-Saxon racial myth; it is usually opposed to Latin hysterics and praised for its high value in an emergency. But the myth does not say what happens between emergencies and that the same quality is responsible for the failure to prevent their recurrence. Now this limitation of awareness is not an Anglo-Saxon privilege, though they are probably the only race which claims as an asset what others regard as a deficiency. Nor is it a matter of temperament; stoics have wider horizons than fanatics.

It is a psychological fact, inherent in our mental frame, which I believe has not been given sufficient attention in social psychology or political theory.

We say, “I believe this,” or, “I don’t believe that,” “I know it,” or “I don’t know it”; and regard these as black-and-white alternatives. Now in reality both “knowing” and “believing” have varying degrees of intensity. I know that there was a man called Spartacus who led the Roman slaves into revolt; but my belief in his one-time existence is much paler than that of, say, Lenin. I believe in spiral nebulae, can see them in a telescope and express their distance in figures; but they have a lower degree of reality for me than the inkpot on my table.

Distance in space and time degrades intensity of awareness. So does magnitude. Seventeen is a figure which I know intimately like a friend; fifty billions is just a sound. A dog run over by a car upsets our emotional balance and digestion; three million Jews killed in Poland cause but a moderate uneasiness. Statistics don’t bleed; it is the detail which counts. We are unable to embrace the total process with our awareness; we can only focus on little lumps of reality. So far all this is a matter of degrees; of gradations in the intensity of knowing and believing. But when we pass the realm of the finite and are faced with words like eternity in time, infinity of space, that is, when we approach the sphere of the Absolute, our reaction ceases to be a matter of degrees and becomes different in quality. Faced with the Absolute, understanding breaks down, and our “knowing” and “believing” become pure lip-service.

Death, for instance, belongs to the category of the Absolute and our belief in it is merely a lip-service belief. “I know” that, the average statistical age being about 65, I may reasonably expect to live no more than another 27 years, but if I knew for certain that I should die on November 30, 1970, at 5 A.M., I would be poisoned by this knowledge, count and recount the remaining days and hours, grudge myself every wasted minute, in other words develop a neurosis. This has nothing to do with hopes to live longer than the average; if the date were fixed ten years later, the neurosis-forming process would remain the same.

Thus we all live in a state of split consciousness. There is a tragic plane and a trivial plane, which contain two mutually incompatible kinds of experienced knowledge. Their climate and language are as different as Church Latin from business slang.

These limitations of awareness account for the limitations of enlightenment by propaganda. People go to cinemas, they see films of Nazi tortures, of mass-shootings, of underground conspiracy and self-sacrifice. They sigh, they shake their heads, some have a good cry. But they do not connect it with the realities of their normal plane of existence. It is Romance, it is Art, it is Those Higher Things, it is Church Latin. It does not click with reality. We live in a society of the Jekyll and Hyde pattern, magnified into gigantic proportions.

This was, however, not always the case to the same extent. There were periods and movements in history—in Athens, in the early Renaissance, during the first years of the Russian Revolution—when at least certain representative layers of society had attained a relatively high level of mental integration; times, when people seemed to rub their eyes and come awake, when their cosmic awareness seemed to expand, when they were “contemporaries” in a much broader and fuller sense; when the trivial and the cosmic planes seemed on the point of fusing.

And there were periods of disintegration and dissociation. But never before, not even during the spectacular decay of Rome and Byzantium, was split thinking so palpably evident, such a uniform mass-disease; never did human psychology reach such a height of phoneyness. Our awareness seems to shrink in direct ratio as communications expand; the world is open to us as never before, and we walk about as prisoners, each in his private portable cage. And meanwhile the watch goes on ticking. What can the screamers do but go on screaming, until they get blue in the face?

I know one who used to tour this country addressing meetings, at an average of ten a week. He is a well-known London publisher. Before each meeting he used to lock himself up in a room, close his eyes, and imagine in detail, for twenty minutes, that he was one of the people in Poland who were being killed. One day he tried to feel what it was like to be suffocated by chloride gas in a death-train; the other he had to dig his grave with two hundred others and then face a machine gun, which, of course, is rather unprecise and capricious in its aiming. Then he walked out to the platform and talked. He kept going for a full year before he collapsed with a nervous breakdown. He had a great command of his audience and perhaps he has done some good; perhaps he brought the two planes, divided by miles of distance, an inch closer to each other.

I think one should imitate this example. Two minutes of this kind of exercise per day, with closed eyes, after reading the morning paper, are at present more necessary to us than physical jerks and breathing the Yogi way. It might even be a substitute for going to church. For as long as there are people on the road and victims in the thicket, divided by dream barriers, this will remain a phoney civilisation.