Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Too many people caught up in living in a big city, if you just broadened your horizens you could live somewhere beautiful and affordable like...
https://www.onthemarket.com/new-homes/property/garboldisham/
(I jogged place this development last night, it's even worse seeing it in person)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

There's no harm in asking.

As for reasonable, the point is that there's a rationale behind why something would or wouldn't last as long as it does. If you bought a kettle, it's reasonable to expect it's rust resistant, and so if it's rusted in weeks that's not a reasonable lifespan. If your mouse is set to last 7 million clicks it's reasonable to assume it won't crap out in a single year.

Counterpoint - It's a Razer mouse.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Marmaduke! posted:

Too many people caught up in living in a big city, if you just broadened your horizens you could live somewhere beautiful and affordable like...
(I jogged place this development last night, it's even worse seeing it in person)

Here's the cheapest house in my municipality, ignore the moon language
https://www.etuovi.com/kohde/21189257?haku=M2088794447

Also most expensive:
https://www.etuovi.com/kohde/s99632?haku=M2088794447

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Whatever you get, make it a vertical mouse. Your wrist will thank you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Z the IVth posted:

Razer mice are poo poo. I had one once and it broke in less than a month. I didn’t bother replacing it, I just returned it and bought a Roccat Kone instead. That's still working years later.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Marmaduke! posted:

I've never seen a list of UK places that looked more like it was generated by AI than this. It's so weird not recognising a single one.

quote:

Nearby Garboldisham

Kilverstone
Cranwich
North Tuddenham
Whinburgh
Carbrooke
Reymerston
Tanners Green
Swanton Morley
Little Hale
Clint Green

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have a hp optical mouse that came with another computer, it's probably 10 years old.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Been hassling Lenovo today, they make lovely laptops that will spontaneously bust out of their bezels and shatter the screen 6 months out of warranty. There's a bunch of angry amazon reviews issued at exactly the same time with exactly the same issue. Asked 'I am explicitly aware that this is out of warranty but since you' ve clearly issued a defective product how about doing something about it?' ' hmm we've checked and it appears you're out of warranty? sorry'.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Reveilled posted:

When I worked in a call centre a friend got a call from a man named Wayne Raper.

This fella would not last 2 minutes in a west of Scotland playground. He'd be owned relentlessly even by the weird kid that got caught wanking in class.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Question - our workplace started enforcing two days a week in the office, and I gave it an honest go, including doing everything I could to make it stress free for me - picking the quiet days, picking the quiet desks, having someone else put the horse out so I don't have to worry about being dragged through the mud before I go in, etc.

I started to get massively anxious about going in, then fortunately got sick, so I haven't been in for a couple of weeks, which has been much better for my mental health.

I told my line manager that I was happy to come in for special days or if there's a genuine operational need, but not just for the sake of it.

They're now telling me that regular days in the office are part of the contract (which is true).

Do I have a leg to stand on? Is it worth trying to get a note from my GP or contract my union?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

xtothez posted:

I've never seen a list of UK places that looked more like it was generated by AI than this. It's so weird not recognising a single one.

Just to help your disbelief, make sure you use the authentic pronunciation too, like "Garblesham"

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Chubby Henparty posted:

Been hassling Lenovo today, they make lovely laptops that will spontaneously bust out of their bezels and shatter the screen 6 months out of warranty. There's a bunch of angry amazon reviews issued at exactly the same time with exactly the same issue. Asked 'I am explicitly aware that this is out of warranty but since you' ve clearly issued a defective product how about doing something about it?' ' hmm we've checked and it appears you're out of warranty? sorry'.

You can't prove that metal hinges screwed directly into plastic is a terrible design and cost cutting measure that increases profits by 7p :smug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

josh04 posted:

Also iirc there's strong evidence that the big UK home builders are collaborating to reduce the flow of new homes to keep prices high.

This is why I don't see how you can build your way out of it, they're not going to race to bring the cost down because that is cutting their profits, they want them as cheap and poo poo as possible and to sell them for as much as possible.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
We're looking for a property near us to buy atm, and the prices are silly, you also see the weirdest "sold with Tennant in situ" poo poo at around 130,000 when the landlords start getting real loving greedy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtothez posted:

It was trained on a bad dataset, too. There are three New Zealands in England.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

"sold with Tennant in situ"

It's a drinkable can if there's nothing better around, but I wouldn't buy a house for it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Angrymog posted:

Question - our workplace started enforcing two days a week in the office, and I gave it an honest go, including doing everything I could to make it stress free for me - picking the quiet days, picking the quiet desks, having someone else put the horse out so I don't have to worry about being dragged through the mud before I go in, etc.

I started to get massively anxious about going in, then fortunately got sick, so I haven't been in for a couple of weeks, which has been much better for my mental health.

I told my line manager that I was happy to come in for special days or if there's a genuine operational need, but not just for the sake of it.

They're now telling me that regular days in the office are part of the contract (which is true).

Do I have a leg to stand on? Is it worth trying to get a note from my GP or contract my union?

You can ask for WFH as part of disability reasonable adjustments (which covers anxiety/mental health). They can still be lovely about it but it's a valid request

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

This is why I don't see how you can build your way out of it, they're not going to race to bring the cost down because that is cutting their profits, they want them as cheap and poo poo as possible and to sell them for as much as possible.

I feel this is big problem with the developer culture where big companies smack up entire neighborhoods and wait for buyers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Runcible Cat posted:

I have a teeny tiny 2-up 2-down in a terrace built in 1904 and my walls are thick enough to keep like 99% of neighbour noise out. It'd be cramped for anyone more than a couple these days, I guess, but it suits me and cats and books just fine.
Not sure what else you'd need to store in a house.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reveilled posted:

When I worked in a call centre a friend got a call from a man named Wayne Raper. Now, admittedly that's a worse name in Scotland than elsewhere, but I honestly cannot imagine living with that name and not changing it immediately.

They've turned the Waynes against us!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TACD posted:

I had a Logitech wireless keyboard / trackpad for controlling the living room media PC that lasted for years and years, even after I spilled a good portion of curry into it.

Same actually.

With this other one I just tipsily watched the spilled beer angrily fizz over the keys and my computer flipping the gently caress out as the dying keyboard started spamming unintended outputs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

You can ask for WFH as part of disability reasonable adjustments (which covers anxiety/mental health). They can still be lovely about it but it's a valid request

In fact anyone can ask for it as a statutory flexible working request!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

lol

I admit I am a Logitech bitch.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Just start taking the horse in everyday and see if they'll let you work from home then.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Just start taking the horse in everyday and see if they'll let you work from home then.

If I lived within hacking distance of work I'd consider trying it. And she's a bit too large to claim her as an emotional support animal.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If you go through mice or keyboards every few years you are buying the wrong brands.

Angrymog posted:

If you have been there more than 2 years and can get a GP to sign off on the anxiety then maybe.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

lol

:same:

Logitech is annoying because their stuff lasts so long I never have an excuse to buy new peripherals.

I have 12 year old Logitech stuff stashed away that still works perfectly fine.

I should probably sell them before USB-A goes the way of the dodo and their dongles cant be plugged in anymore.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Marmaduke! posted:

Computer, show me :geno: as a house

xtothez posted:

Yeah those are some Transport Tycoon-rear end place names

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

xtothez posted:

Every time I hear or see the name Garboldisham I always think of this sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znmjnEMqHeg

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Z the IVth posted:

:same:

Logitech is annoying because their stuff lasts so long I never have an excuse to buy new peripherals.

I have 12 year old Logitech stuff stashed away that still works perfectly fine.

I should probably sell them before USB-A goes the way of the dodo and their dongles cant be plugged in anymore.

drat them and their entirely reasonable policy of having any of their hardware work with any existing dongle.

I seriously think that Logitech devices are powered by pure magic when I consider how long the batteries last. I'm still using a Logitech Mediaplay mouse from 17 years ago which still works perfectly.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OzyMandrill posted:

Whatever you get, make it a vertical mouse. Your wrist will thank you.

Words to live by, been using them for over a decade... i get my basic ones for £12 on sale at amazon.

I need to start repairing the damned things as it's usually just one of the microswitches going that puts them out of use. :rolleyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angrymog posted:

If I lived within hacking distance of work I'd consider trying it. And she's a bit too large to claim her as an emotional support animal.

Big moods need big animals.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Z the IVth posted:

just get a bunch of USB-C adaptors, it's all still backwards compatible

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I might need an emotional support horse the day I buy a tower with usbc on the front

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

forkboy84 posted:

Jones has been very consistent and vocal in his support of trans right, he doesn't need to prove his bonafides in every column and public statement

I’m aware, but I think it’s weird to miss it when you’re listing reasons you’re quitting the party. Maybe that’s my biases given party transphobia was one of the main reasons I quit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

emotional support horse
That's when a bunch of old men dressed as Last Of The Summer Wine cosplays turn up and tell you how to become a centaur.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

If you go through mice or keyboards every few years you are buying the wrong brands.

There's new because the old died and new because they released a mouse with 15 buttons this time.

Not many people can win a round of TF2 with just a mouse while sipping a beer with their other hand. Felt drat good, tho.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tesseraction posted:

lol

MX Master 2 is objectively the best mouse out there.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TACD posted:

Computer, show me :geno: as a house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is that a Pizza Hut made out of floorboards?