Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Johnny Truant posted:

lol, dope!

i watched an mtggoldfish youtube about MtGO idly and i guess since i have booted it up all of one time, didn't realize how easy it was to just like, rent a deck, which is dope! my quick dumb questions are - can you still win stuff normally with a rented deck? are there limitations to playing in certain events/leagues/drafts or anything like that with a rented deck?

Rented cards are transferred to your account. You technically have ownership of them while you're using them and do your leagues and stuff.

Drafting you won't rent a deck because you're drafting :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Playing an artifact as an attempt to stop what your opponent is doing is not a very good strategy right now. Boseiju + leyline binding is in the maindeck for more than half of modern decks. Pick your poison is coming out of board to argument on top of all the other options.

Your answers need to be spells or offer some kind of extra value for being blown up.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Rented cards are transferred to your account. You technically have ownership of them while you're using them and do your leagues and stuff.

Drafting you won't rent a deck because you're drafting :p

oh yeah duh, not drafts lol. but I can rent a deck and just jump into a league and still win tickets and packs and stuff?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

oh yeah duh, not drafts lol. but I can rent a deck and just jump into a league and still win tickets and packs and stuff?

Yeah. You have to pay for your league as usual. I'd recommend reading up on how the renting works, like trading with the bot and stuff. Make sure you know what you're doing with it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sickening posted:

Playing an artifact as an attempt to stop what your opponent is doing is not a very good strategy right now. Boseiju + leyline binding is in the maindeck for more than half of modern decks. Pick your poison is coming out of board to argument on top of all the other options.

Your answers need to be spells or offer some kind of extra value for being blown up.

It's not good, but it's there. Once again it circles back to needing stifle/counters to protect it but it's another layer for an opponent to get through.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Yeah. You have to pay for your league as usual. I'd recommend reading up on how the renting works, like trading with the bot and stuff. Make sure you know what you're doing with it.

doooooope! yeah I'm def gonna watch the video again cause I was only half paying attention

Time got me into primetime in Timeless on arena, so now I wanna look at Amulet Titan :toot:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

doooooope! yeah I'm def gonna watch the video again cause I was only half paying attention

I used it for penny dreadful back in the day, basically you do all the stuff on their site and their bot proposes a trade with you. The cards go to your account and you play, then you trade back later. It's super simple, go have fun!

Johnny Truant posted:

Time got me into primetime in Timeless on arena, so now I wanna look at Amulet Titan :toot:

Wait no don't

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Wait no don't

:laugh:

would it make you feel better if I'm also interested in trying out our boy Yawg?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

:laugh:

would it make you feel better if I'm also interested in trying out our boy Yawg?

Amulet is a cool deck, weirdly I had fun playing hate pieces tokens v amulet years ago. Gave up in modern since tokens fell off of even tier 3

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Make sure you practice a bit before you play your first leagues. MTGO is a fickle beast when you're first learning it, and it's pretty easy to completely throw a game because you misunderstood what the interface actually wanted you to do

In cube I remember candelabra always being a pita in that regard

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

fadam posted:

Ignoring gameplay implications, would the anything involving the engine break if they changed it so a permanent's ETB was countered if the permanent was no longer on the battlefield at time of resolution?

I think that might break kroxa and uro?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

imweasel09 posted:

I think that might break kroxa and uro?
Nah, just resolve the good trigger before the bad one.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wouldn't it get back to the days of x/1 being useless again because of Plague engineer?

Or make x/2 or lower useless in any format with Aether Flash in it?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cleretic posted:

According to the MtG fandom wiki she's off studying in Ravnica during Thunder Junction, but they don't actually cite that, and I have no idea how much stock people generally put in the MtG wiki being right in that situation.

*that one Nathan Fielder tweet about his friends having fun just out of frame except it's Kellan*

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Make sure you practice a bit before you play your first leagues. MTGO is a fickle beast when you're first learning it, and it's pretty easy to completely throw a game because you misunderstood what the interface actually wanted you to do

In cube I remember candelabra always being a pita in that regard

LOOK AT THE CARDS.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ooooh yeah mtgo can be finnicky as heck.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wouldn't it get back to the days of x/1 being useless again because of Plague engineer?

Or make x/2 or lower useless in any format with Aether Flash in it?

They have already decided x/1s are unplayable and are going to print more x/2s anyways

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I actually kinda like the idea of CIP triggers requiring the permanent to be in play at the time of resolution

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

How do you feel about like half of all creatures getting hexproof as the design team tries to solve the "dies to doomblade" problem without ETB triggers.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As a general rule, definitely agree it would cause more problems than it solves.

Something like a 4 mana black spell, in scaling with The End, with "Destroy target creature. When you do, counter all abilities that creature was the source of." is something there's probably space in the game for.

Call it "Rewrite history" and give it flavor text like "Hm, no, I don't think that's how it should've happened."

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Red should get burn spells that counter creature or planeswalker's abilities similar to how it gets exile instead of graveyard tacked on.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Cancelling ETB triggers if the creature dies would also create a weird and confusing rules inconsistency because cancelling all ablitites if their source dies would break way too much so you have to say "ETB triggers (or some other subset) are special"

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
To be clear, I didn't mean retroactively. Just carving out a new design space

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Would this just be for etb?
What about dies?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I think there’s probably space for red to have counterspells that give opponents treasure = cmc of spell countered or op exiles cards from the top of the library to cast until end next turn = cmc of spell.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid...game%3Apaper%29

It's been done a few times over the years, a quick search finds four. Three of them are wall of text modern wordings of janky old reanimation spells and one of them fights on ETB. Never as a power level knob as far as I can find.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 21, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And it's only on the yeti because that's before Fight became a keyword. Fight explicitly requires both to still be on the battlefield.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

uggy posted:

I think there’s probably space for red to have counterspells that give opponents treasure = cmc of spell countered or op exiles cards from the top of the library to cast until end next turn = cmc of spell.

That second one is just Tibalt's Trickery.

Objectively the funniest counterspell, because it's entirely possible that it just causes that player to cast an even stronger spell instead.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Cradle to Grave is kind of a black counterspell, although it doesn't stop ETBs

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Black already has the perfect (preemptive) counterspell... Every spell gets Mana Leak'd!

Shame about the art and availability, though

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Black already has the perfect (preemptive) counterspell... Every spell gets Mana Leak'd!

Shame about the art and availability, though

Damnit Harold

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

uggy posted:

Someone suggested earlier the ability to use some kind of burn spell directly on a spell on the stack and it fizzles if you deal CMC damage or more. I like that thematically for red.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Khanstant posted:

Someone suggested earlier the ability to use some kind of burn spell directly on a spell on the stack and it fizzles if you deal CMC damage or more. I like that thematically for red.

Letting Lightning Bolt counter any spell cmc 3 or less, while also being able to kill creatures and players would put it in the power nine and be banned in every format.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean obviously the counter variants wouldn't be able to target permanents or players and would cost more than your usual R for 2. I just wanted to say bolt the stack.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the internal game logic behind why Fight doesn't use Last Known Information (so fizzles if one of the targets gets removed), but stuff like FTK does? Not in terms of balance or anything, but like...based on the underlying rules engine why don't they work the same way? It's an interaction we've all had to deal with a billion times, but I just realized I can't come up with a good explanation for why other than "it just does."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

What's the internal game logic behind why Fight doesn't use Last Known Information (so fizzles if one of the targets gets removed), but stuff like FTK does? Not in terms of balance or anything, but like...based on the underlying rules engine why doesn't Fight use LKI?

It's not a fight if the other party is dead, please stop beating up corpses.

The real answer is to prevent players from trying to trigger abilities from "dealing damage" when the recipient of that damage no longer exists.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fadam posted:

What's the internal game logic behind why Fight doesn't use Last Known Information (so fizzles if one of the targets gets removed), but stuff like FTK does? Not in terms of balance or anything, but like...based on the underlying rules engine why don't they work the same way? It's an interaction we've all had to deal with a billion times, but I just realized I can't come up with a good explanation for why other than "it just does."

It's just thematic. How can something dead get into a fight?

*: Undead and animated corpses and necromancers gently caress off

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I mean obviously the counter variants wouldn't be able to target permanents or players and would cost more than your usual R for 2. I just wanted to say bolt the stack.

I do like how 'bolt the stack' feels on the brain

off the top-

Mountain Surge
2R (maybe 1RR)
Instant
Counter target noncreature spell that was cast for 2 mana value or less

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 21, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

On second thought that's just a typical blue counterspell in red. It needs to be duct taped into the existing rules to sell that you're burning the mana being woven together out of existence before it can coalesce.

Tilting at Windfalls
I don't know, RRR?
Enchantment
If a red instant you control would deal damage to an opponent, you may prevent that damage. If damage was prevented this way, counter target non-creature spell with mana value X or less where X is the amount of damage prevented.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I could see red getting burn spells that can thematically target creatures on the stack.

1R

Deal two damage to any target
Or
Counter target creature spell with toughness two or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fadam posted:

if fight works on a dead creature it essentially becomes bite, not fight

since "the creature on the battlefield gets damaged" is the key downside it makes sense you have to have that creature alive so that the downside is still a downside