Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

In fairness to NJAN, a building that looks built to repel boarders could be really useful when society collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We marched 'neath the green flag of Saint Patrick
Emblazoned with Elon Go Bragh

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Owen Jones is FINALLY pushed far enough to cancel his Labour Party membership:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/21/labour-party-cancelling-membership-policies

Thought it'd never happen!

I do feel like people need to give Owen Jones a break. I don't always agree with him but the poor guy is at least one of the few commentators to consistently argue in good faith and, probably because of that, spends his whole life being yelled at from the left and the right.

He obviously bought into the idea that the Corbyn period demonstrated that Labour could be changed from within, and that abandoning the party just leaves it to the shitheads, and tbh he's right. I left ages all but not comfortably. It did make me think of the time the Mensheviks walked out of the Soviet Congress and as a result sealed their fate as politically irrelevant. I can't blame him for wanting to avoid making that mistake.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ThomasPaine posted:

I do feel like people need to give Owen Jones a break. I don't always agree with him but the poor guy is at least one of the few commentators to consistently argue in good faith and, probably because of that, spends his whole life being yelled at from the left and the right.

He obviously bought into the idea that the Corbyn period demonstrated that Labour could be changed from within, and that abandoning the party just leaves it to the shitheads, and tbh he's right. I left ages all but not comfortably. It did make me think of the time the Mensheviks walked out of the Soviet Congress and as a result sealed their fate as politically irrelevant. I can't blame him for wanting to avoid making that mistake.

I mean this'd be great had he not ended up a public detractor of Corbyn's

I think he's a good egg but he's absolutely earned getting poo poo on to a degree

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

whomst amongst us is not destined for the dung jungle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

In fairness to NJAN, a building that looks built to repel boarders could be really useful when society collapses.

I would suggest carronade hatches but that might be too low tech, have to fit them with something that throws elon brain chips at people.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Not sure what else you'd need to store in a house.

Sometimes I think another human would be nice. But in the meantime:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Runcible Cat posted:

Sometimes I think another human would be nice. But in the meantime:

The big advantage of cats is you're not expected to know where their clean socks, ironed shirts, car keys are.
Admittedly you still have to know "what's for tea" but that's pretty simple with cats.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JeremyVineOn5/status/1770754204321141172

Establishment Keef

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Affairs, huh?

I knew it!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Leave her alone? My word, it means William left her and took the kids!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If there was any justice left, Labour would view Jones’ leaving the party like a coal mine canary. But there’s no sense of self-awareness any more, and the slide more and more into the right continues.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The_Doctor posted:

If there was any justice left, Labour would view Jones’ leaving the party like a coal mine canary. But there’s no sense of self-awareness any more, and the slide more and more into the right continues.

Luke Akehurst will be celebrating another one of "them" successfully driven out.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

It will just reassure them that the plan to become New Tories is working

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/21/esther-mcvey-expenses-flat-philip-davies

quote:

A cabinet minister who has criticised Whitehall waste has claimed tens of thousands of pounds in expenses to rent a London flat despite her husband owning a property a mile away.

Esther McVey, who was appointed “minister for common sense” last year, has received £39,000 in taxpayers’ money to rent the flat over the last two years. She lives there with her husband, the Tory MP Philip Davies.

The Daily Telegraph, which first reported the story alongside the campaign group Led By Donkeys, said McVey and Davies had been claiming expenses on the property since 2017 and could have received as much as £250,000 from the taxpayer.

Davies owns and lets out a flat about 25 minutes’ walk away in Waterloo. In his register of interests, Davies has declared an annual income of more than £10,000 from this property.

Davies told Led By Donkeys he would have been happy to continue claiming mortgage costs on the flat he owns, “but that option was removed from me”. After the 2009 expenses scandal, rules were changed so that MPs could not claim their mortgage payments back from the taxpayer.

McVey is the MP for Tatton in Cheshire and Davies represents Shipley in West Yorkshire.

They are not breaking any rules but it raises questions about whether the arrangement represents value for money. As a minister, McVey has repeatedly railed against Whitehall waste.

Last year McVey wrote in the Daily Mail that she did not “want you to see a single penny of your hard-earned cash wasted on unnecessary public spending”.

In February she told GB News she had written to independent government agencies asking them to spend more efficiently. “We want to make sure there isn’t any waste … You can’t put up taxpayers’ bills and ask the government for more money, and yet not get rid of wasteful spending yourself,” she said.

According to the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority, the watchdog created after the expenses scandal, both MPs claim rent for a property in London.

Led By Donkeys has highlighted the cases of several parliamentarians who own and let out properties in London while at the same claiming expenses to rent flats in the capital.

The group said at least another eight MPs were claiming rent in London while also registering income from letting out their own properties in the city, claiming more than £1m in rental expenses since 2017.

Davies told Led By Donkeys: “If I owned the flat outright and I could stay there without incurring any cost then I would agree that I should do that, but that doesn’t remotely apply in my case.

“As far as I am aware, all workplaces cover the accommodation costs of people working away from home, and I am surprised … [you] … think that should no longer be the case. That, of course, will lead to only the wealthiest people in the country being able to become MPs.”

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Chubby Henparty posted:

Been hassling Lenovo today, they make lovely laptops that will spontaneously bust out of their bezels and shatter the screen 6 months out of warranty. There's a bunch of angry amazon reviews issued at exactly the same time with exactly the same issue. Asked 'I am explicitly aware that this is out of warranty but since you' ve clearly issued a defective product how about doing something about it?' ' hmm we've checked and it appears you're out of warranty? sorry'.

good way to kill a brand that. how exactly did it break? do you have a picture?

i'd just bombard them on every social media channel they use, not in the hope of getting anything out of them, just to eventually make someone, somewhere think "jesus christ will they ever stop" :hehe:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

good way to kill a brand that.
Lenovo have been trash tier for a while. ThinkPads used to be a real premium PC laptop brand and Lenovo have let it go absolutely to hell while just riding everybody’s memory of them being solid.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

TACD posted:

Lenovo have been trash tier for a while. ThinkPads used to be a real premium PC laptop brand and Lenovo have let it go absolutely to hell while just riding everybody’s memory of them being solid.

i was looking for a business laptop and in the end i said feck it and got a ROG Zephyrus G14 for the same price as the lenovo i was looking at and it’s amazing and plays BG3 like a charm, probably could do excel on it too

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Same as this except more innards exposed, cracks in the screen spidering outwards etc. They've given me a phone number so they can tell me to get bent live tomorrow, after which I'll throw as much of a social media tanty as my non existent twitter base allows.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

A "guttural reaction"? Did he get so incensed that he busted out a couple of bars of Cannibal Corpse?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Keith's more of an Anal oval office guy, I think

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Paladinus posted:

MX Master 2 is objectively the best mouse out there.

Yeah last time I was in the mouse market I consulted the "should I buy a $100 mouse thread", decided that I should and got some version of the Logitech MX Master. Best mouse I've owned and it has survived several years of daily use and occasionally falling off my desk onto the tile floor with absolutely no issues.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

I think I must have gotten one of the last of the good ThinkPads. Had it like 7 years now and the thing is an indestructible brick that has never given me a second of trouble, whereas my work keeps giving me lovely HP Elitebooks with exploding batteries that are just hosed from Day 1 (on my 5th one now :sadpeanut: )

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wachter posted:

A "guttural reaction"? Did he get so incensed that he busted out a couple of bars of Cannibal Corpse?

"This next song is called INVASION OF THE PRINCESS OF WALES". * Very confused circle pit breaks out at the Women's Institute meeting*

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah last time I was in the mouse market I consulted the "should I buy a $100 mouse thread", decided that I should and got some version of the Logitech MX Master. Best mouse I've owned and it has survived several years of daily use and occasionally falling off my desk onto the tile floor with absolutely no issues.

It doesn't quite beat 20 Poundland mouses for that money, but, as far as 'premium' products go, it's the closest you can get to 'it'll actually save you money in the long run'.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yep, throwing another hat in the ring for MX Masters. I’ve got a 3 and it fulfils all of my work and gaming needs. It’s particularly good for editing video because now I have play/pause, scroll up/down, AND scroll left/right along with timeline on my mouse which is a huge timesaver.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wachter posted:

Well I certainly think of Hammer Smashed Face when I see Kieth

As an aside, this has just reminded me of this cover of I Cum Blood which does a much better job of shocking than the original, because you can actually hear the lyrics.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 21, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

Keith's more of an anal oval office
:hmmyes:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Anyone got any idea what these odd tweet replies relating to apples are all about? And to be clear they are in reply to politics posts not greengrocers!

I've seen this one quite a lot today: "Apples are a type of fruit that grow on trees and are known for their crisp texture and sweet flavor" and now I've just seen a different one
"Some popular types of apples include Granny Smith, Gala, Honeycrisp, and Fuji."
"Apple seeds contain cyanide, but you would need to eat a large amount of them to be harmful."
"The skin of an apple is rich in nutrients and should be eaten along with the flesh for maximum health benefits."

I googled to no avail.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 21, 2024

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
anytime you see poo poo like that on twitter it's almost certainly a bot network run by musk so he can inflate the value of the worst purchasing decision in human history

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone got any idea what these odd tweet replies relating to apples are all about?

I've seen this one quite a lot today: "Apples are a type of fruit that grow on trees and are known for their crisp texture and sweet flavor" and now I've just seen a different one "Some popular types of apples include Granny Smith, Gala, Honeycrisp, and Fuji."

I googled to no avail.

My wild rear end guess is it's bots making innocuous comments to have an established account when they pivot to whatever the bot was actually made for

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hm makes sense (bot networks establishing accounts).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It is kind of funny how hos initial pitch for the site was 'I will get rid of the bots' and now the website is entirely fuelling The Robot He Wants To Be Racist.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

As an aside, this has just reminded me of this cover of I Cum Blood which does a much better job of shocking than the original, because you can actually hear the lyrics.

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc-V3NYckOI

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone got any idea what these odd tweet replies relating to apples are all about? And to be clear they are in reply to politics posts not greengrocers!

I've seen this one quite a lot today: "Apples are a type of fruit that grow on trees and are known for their crisp texture and sweet flavor" and now I've just seen a different one
"Some popular types of apples include Granny Smith, Gala, Honeycrisp, and Fuji."
"Apple seeds contain cyanide, but you would need to eat a large amount of them to be harmful."
"The skin of an apple is rich in nutrients and should be eaten along with the flesh for maximum health benefits."

I googled to no avail.

▒M▒Y▒A▒P▒P▒L▒E▒S▒I▒N▒B▒I▒O▒

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I googled to no avail.

Viral marketing for https://applerankings.com/ ?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I googled to no avail.

This is normal. Apple trees are cultivated worldwide and are the most widely grown species in the genus Malus. There is nothing to be concerned about. Apples have religious and mythological significance in many cultures, including Norse, Greek, and European Christian tradition. Do not look into this matter any further. World production of apples in 2021 was 93 million tonnes, with China producing 49% of the total. Soon you will see. Soon you will understand. The word apple, whose Old English ancestor is æppel, is descended from the Proto-Germanic noun *aplaz, descended in turn from Proto-Indo-European *h₂ébōl. Join us.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apples are in hezbollah got it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I don't like apples. My mother used to try and force me to eat them when I was a kid. I hate the texture, the sour taste, everything. Toffee apples, though, are ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

Apples are in hezbollah got it.

quick google confirms jeremy corbyn has admitted to drinking apple juice. starmer must condemn