Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ms Adequate posted:

Suzy Hunter has a 4090 beast rig and said in her video that it still drops significant frames in certain situations/locations

Wavering on whether to get DD2 or let it be for the time being. I did enjoy the original but it never quuuuite clicked for me, combat felt somehow just a touch off but I couldn't pin down why. Maybe I'll grab it and make sure to keep an eye on the refund window.

This may answer the question as to why a 4090 rig couldn't handle DD2.

edit: I timg'd that poo poo goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Frame drops are fine

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hatty posted:

Frame drops are fine

You are the worst glazier ever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cheetah7071 posted:

basically agree that while there's nothing wrong with preferring easy mode in general, I can't think of any game where easy mode is better even for someone who usually prefers normal or hard.

it was better in SOMA because the stealth gameplay sucks rear end

though tbh most of the times where i've preferred an easy mode, the actual "fix" was "the combat sucks rear end and they should have made it not suck rear end" or something similar

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Video games are art

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That is a really good trailer.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Video games are art

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/TokyoGameLife/status/1770782952433016886
Gorgeous, my stage...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ms Adequate posted:

Suzy Hunter has a 4090 beast rig and said in her video that it still drops significant frames in certain situations/locations

Wavering on whether to get DD2 or let it be for the time being. I did enjoy the original but it never quuuuite clicked for me, combat felt somehow just a touch off but I couldn't pin down why. Maybe I'll grab it and make sure to keep an eye on the refund window.

I think some people were saying it's not a GPU bottleneck but a CPU one for the city stuff?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think some people were saying it's not a GPU bottleneck but a CPU one for the city stuff?

yeah, it's a basically identical problem to BG3 in act 3 where they're trying to accurately simulate large crowds with dynamic movement and it's choking the CPU badly

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't get why devs keep doing this poo poo when 99.9% of gamers won't notice the difference between that and a canned crowd animation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't get why devs keep doing this poo poo when 99.9% of gamers won't notice the difference between that and a canned crowd animation.

Literally every time a game doesn't do it the internet is flooded with "LAZY DEVS" and videos that spread showing how lazy and bad a game is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Infinity Gaia posted:

in DD2 the breadth of the simulation seems to be a pillar of the game's design, not just something that looks pretty

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Rinkles posted:

in DD2 the breadth of the simulation seems to be a pillar of the game's design, not just something that looks pretty

I haven't been following Dagon's Drogma 2, are there any big features it's doing that the npcs couldn't do in 1, or is it just the usual thing where software developers' ability to use resources is unbounded.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

I haven't been following Dagon's Drogma 2, are there any big features it's doing that the npcs couldn't do in 1, or is it just the usual thing where software developers' ability to use resources is unbounded.

i've been trying to avoid seeing too many specifics before i get my hands on it, but yeah it does seem track more things and is more reactive than DD1

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

so is this a thing where the frames drop to 30 for a while and people flip out or is it actually chugging

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

From what I saw, their target is 30fps and it doesn't maintain it, on anything

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zokari posted:

so is this a thing where the frames drop to 30 for a while and people flip out or is it actually chugging

it's more or less permanently hovering around 30-35 FPS on consoles. you can push up to 60 FPS if you have a beef PC but you'll still get dips to 50 in heavily crowded areas

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

oh my GOD! not the FRAMES!!!!!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I played Dragon's Dogma on PS3. The frames can't hurt me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The more i think about it the more the collection makes me think less of Jeff Minter, where does he get off

Yeah music is good jeff, like gently caress off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8it7FMxDTA

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jeff minter ftw

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gamers love talking about frames because it's a number they can use to decide if a game is good or bad without ever engaging more deeply

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'll be honest, i was on the fence re: d'sd2 anyway, but this talk of lost frames... There's no way i'm playing that game now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The more i think about it the more the collection makes me think less of Jeff Minter, where does he get off

Yeah music is good jeff, like gently caress off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8it7FMxDTA

I don't know who Jeff Minter is, but I do know the UN Squadron soundtrack kicks rear end.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Personally I always turned frames off

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
For every frame you lose I gain 60

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cheetah7071 posted:

gamers love talking about frames because it's a number they can use to decide if a game is good or bad without ever engaging more deeply

That's right, like noted bad game Bloodborne

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i don't have a beef PC but i also don't mind turning down all graphics settings to minimum and making it look like the first game if i have to

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't even see the frames anymore, just blonde, brunette, redhead...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

i don't have a beef PC but i also don't mind turning down all graphics settings to minimum and making it look like the first game if i have to

the problem is that CPU bottlenecks often aren't easily scalable that way

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

the problem is that CPU bottlenecks often aren't easily scalable that way

then if the worst that happens is i drop from 60 to 50 fps i think i will survive

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kerrzhe posted:

then if the worst that happens is i drop from 60 to 50 fps i think i will survive

Godspeed gamer

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Vermain posted:

it's more or less permanently hovering around 30-35 FPS on consoles. you can push up to 60 FPS if you have a beef PC but you'll still get dips to 50 in heavily crowded areas

ok so only a thing for weirdos to get mad about, got it

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Godspeed gamer

THE WIND IS PUSHIN MEEEE

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You know who else thought having a high frame rate was really important, and was saddened when publishers valued flashy 3d effects over providing a better framerate? Roger Ebert. The facts are clear: Video Games can only be Art if they have a high framerate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wrong. Every frame is a painting and a lower frame rates gives you more time to appreciate the symphony of art on display.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Vahn16/status/1770882172041466122

i dont care that it's kotaku this is a lovely fate

i was involved in a kind of pivot like this once and it loving sucked

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They just want to get to the to pod Google with all the other lovely AI spam guides telling you fuckin nothing buried in a mountain of gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Khanstant posted:

They just want to get to the to pod Google with all the other lovely AI spam guides telling you fuckin nothing buried in a mountain of gibberish.

jesus are there any good game news sites these days?