Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

All I can remember about The English Patient is King of the Hill referencing it. "Now I'm going to die like English Patient girlfriend! Long, painful, boring death!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

This is why the Oscars should be given ten years later

what they should actually do is have a part of the ceremony every year where they revoke one oscar from the past ten years and give it to someone else.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

“In conjunction with our amazing graphics and production design team, all of whom worked tirelessly to give this film the 70s aesthetic we had always imagined, we experimented with AI for three still images which we edited further and ultimately appear as very brief interstitials in the film. We feel incredibly fortunate to have had such a talented and passionate cast, crew and producing team go above and beyond to help bring this film to life. We can’t wait for everyone to see it for themselves this weekend.”
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/late-night-with-the-devil-ai-images-clarification-1235947599/

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Using "it's only 3 very brief still images" just begs the question "so why did you use it at all?"

Like, if they're insignificant, you could have done without them, if they're significant, you could have paid an artist to make them, and to do a better job too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Using "it's only 3 very brief still images" just begs the question "so why did you use it at all?"

Like, if they're insignificant, you could have done without them, if they're significant, you could have paid an artist to make them, and to do a better job too.

I agree with what you wrote 100%. What a tone deaf response from them. The very idea of "testing it out" or "just using it for 3 images" IS what people are up in arms about and they don't really seem to get that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

that loving sucks and is an even worse statement than I expected them to make out of this

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah I agree. And they say they edited the images after, but didn't think to correct the number of fingers on the skeleton apparently because that's like the first thing you look for when figuring out if something is AI.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

it's like getting caught with drugs and telling the cop "it's only 3 tiny bags of drugs, I was just experimenting with it"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

alf_pogs posted:

most interesting thing about the alien trailer is the brief shadowy figure that the facehugger swarm runs around to get their target. bring on the 'droids!

Genuine spoiler - DO NOT CLICK if you care.

It's CGI Ian Holm.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

flashy_mcflash posted:

And they say they edited the images after, but didn't think to correct the number of fingers on the skeleton apparently because that's like the first thing you look for when figuring out if something is AI.

The images were edited - by applying a fuzzy TV-screen filter and adding text at the bottom.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I was like, fever-pitch excited for this after hearing people in this thread talk it up and I loved the ideas behind it. What a thoroughly disappointing response. Pathetic, even. You can buy loving stock images that replicate what you wanted for a couple of dollars and edit them to high heaven. It's absolutely pointless in a way that tars the entire picture.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Also they claim to have such talented artists they love so why not you know use the human beings that studied art and are passionate for it, that they hired and are singing the praises of?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I was like, fever-pitch excited for this after hearing people in this thread talk it up and I loved the ideas behind it. What a thoroughly disappointing response. Pathetic, even. You can buy loving stock images that replicate what you wanted for a couple of dollars and edit them to high heaven. It's absolutely pointless in a way that tars the entire picture.

:agreed:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

If you want the same concept in a movie that's also loving great, track down History of the Occult, that movie rules.

Or just watch Ghostwatch again.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

They absolutely should have just said "We finished the movie before people REALLY started speaking out against AI art, thought we could sneak this through, and hosed up." Because that is absolutely the case, just admit you screwed up. Hell, say you're getting a real artist to replace those bits before it hits Shudder and people WILL be willing to forgive you.

Even if they did "edit further" those AI images, why? It's just a loving cartoon skeleton interstitial.

The WNUF Halloween Special was made for like $18 and they could do this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hope they get bullied into changing it for home/streaming release.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If you want the same concept in a movie that's also loving great, track down History of the Occult, that movie rules.

Seconded, everybody knows about GHOSTWATCH but HISTORY OF THE OCCULT is excellent.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i will watch the exorcist late night movie because i already have a shudder subscription but i'm fully expecting it to be dogshit now. just a huge advertisement saying "we did not do quality control on this movie at all, it's basically a first draft that got released" lol

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Set expectations appropriately but I'll still stand by it being a good movie.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

They absolutely should have just said "We finished the movie before people REALLY started speaking out against AI art, thought we could sneak this through, and hosed up." Because that is absolutely the case, just admit you screwed up. Hell, say you're getting a real artist to replace those bits before it hits Shudder and people WILL be willing to forgive you.

Even if they did "edit further" those AI images, why? It's just a loving cartoon skeleton interstitial.

The WNUF Halloween Special was made for like $18 and they could do this.

Makes me really appreciate WNUF. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but they clearly worked hard with limited resources to recreate a very specific time period and aesthetic.

I probably wouldnt have noticed the AI interstitials on first glance but how does someone not realize that all it takes is one screenshot and it’s very obviously AI generated.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

can't even draw your own skeleton. literally showing less drive and effort than your average punk band does for their demo tape.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Truth of the matter is for every person who recognizes and condemns AI art there are a thousand movie goers that wouldn't even notice or care if they did. It's here to stay.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

flashy_mcflash posted:

Set expectations appropriately but I'll still stand by it being a good movie.

yeah im still excited to watch it. this doesnt quell any of the hype people have been building up around it being a genuinely good horror movie.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Doltos posted:

Truth of the matter is for every person who recognizes and condemns AI art there are a thousand movie goers that wouldn't even notice or care if they did. It's here to stay.

That's why the people who do recognize it shout about it and demand it be removed. If enough of the movie promoting sites shout about it then maybe the bad press will have some effect.

That said I felt the same way about ghoulish CGI doppelgangers of dead actors and that's here to stay/barely reported on anymore.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Doltos posted:

That's the point - you can take a couple screws out and the door will still open and shut. What do you gain from it?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PriorMarcus posted:

That's why the people who do recognize it shout about it and demand it be removed. If enough of the movie promoting sites shout about it then maybe the bad press will have some effect.

That said I felt the same way about ghoulish CGI doppelgangers of dead actors and that's here to stay/barely reported on anymore.

Yeah as soon as that Christopher Reeves stuff happened for the Flash movie the whole thing got swept under the rug real quick even when his family was interviewed about it and commented how they never had a say in how his likeness was used.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

PriorMarcus posted:

That's a good point I think the better thing to do is have it be a talking point in the SAG strikes and get some solidarity in the same way actors are supporting the behind the scenes guys now. I think the CGI doppelgangers died more because they were too uncanny valley, the AI art blends in and isn't an overt affront to the typical moviegoer.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I watched it last night and it ruled. Political thriller + horror is a vibe I want more of.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doltos posted:

I think bad word of mouth online might actually be an issue for an indie horror film. There's a good chance you're gonna be known as "the movie with that poo poo-looking auto-generated skeleton drawing".

And I'm not even as harsh of algorithmically-generated stuff as most (I consider it akin to using stock footage or default aftereffects poo poo or whatever - largely ugly and stupid but not necessarily awful). The issue's that a single person could have easily touched up the most egregious flaws in that picture with photoshop in under an hour.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 21, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't have noticed anything was even off about the image, so yea people like me are the reason they probably think they can get away with it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I didn't notice when I first saw it in the trailer because it was a brief thing. Taking more than even a second to look at by itself it's apparent, and that's before getting into the other one with the hosed up windows. Just extremely basic poo poo that if you cared at all you could have half-assed better yourself or paid someone to half-rear end better themselves. Glad a big enough storm's been raised that they had to acknowledge it, keep it going and get it fixed for the Shudder or physical media release

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What's really odd is that it might be saving labor costs to use placeholder art, but it's actually extremely uncommercial because how are you gonna sell an 'authentic' Night Owls logo t-shirt now?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah, by all means, if this poo poo is fixed for the Shudder or physical release I will absolutely be watching it. It sounds great. But it's such a frustrating and embarrassing thing that didn't need to be there for the theatrical. They can slide me a $50 and I'll do it lmao

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What's really odd is that it might be saving labor costs to use placeholder art, but it's actually extremely uncommercial because how are you gonna sell an 'authentic' Night Owls logo t-shirt now?

They almost certainly didn't think this far ahead. They most likely decided to use AI and order takeout with the money saved, giving it no further thought.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PriorMarcus posted:

They almost certainly didn't think this far ahead. They most likely decided to use AI and order takeout with the money saved, giving it no further thought.

That's the funniest part. There's nothing gained here other than pocket change.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's the funniest part. There's nothing gained here other than pocket change.

Exactly. And when you see the (imo, high) quality of the writing and effects and the work they did to create a strong sense of place is even more confusing. It's the equivalent of ordering a bunch of expensive takeout and stiffing the uber driver on a five dollar tip for no reason. If it was a movie where they'd obviously cut corners all over the place it'd be somewhat excusable.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

And of course you have people defending it smugly going “What, would you feel better if they paid someone on Fiver to make the art?”. Yes? How is that some kind of gotcha? It’s still an artist getting paid over a computer stealing their art and making a bad, lovely version of it. I don’t know how you can be someone who enjoys movies, something born out of labor from artists, and be fine with AI fuckery. And like someone said earlier, using AI taints the entire production. Using AI for the art because it’s not important well what else did they deem not important? Or what if the next movie they deem more things not important to use AI on?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thats what I dont get about AI in general. Art is an expression of the human spirit and experience. To me if an AI made it, its not art. And I dont mean that in a technical definition way, I mean it in a "I have absolutely zero interest in engaging in it" way.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m of the same mind. If a production feels their time is too important and can’t be bothered to make the movie and instead uses some lovely over hyped chat bot algorithm to make parts of it, why should I give that production my time by watching it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean if we actually had artificial sentient beings ala Data from Star Trek then sure, I'd be interested in seeing the art they crate. This isn't that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Thats what I dont get about AI in general. Art is an expression of the human spirit and experience. To me if an AI made it, its not art. And I dont mean that in a technical definition way, I mean it in a "I have absolutely zero interest in engaging in it" way.

I'm trying to remember if William Gibson or Neal Stephenson foresaw art and literature being outsourced to silicon when they were inventing the cyberpunk dystopia