Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

We're 9 pages in has anyone said that ur mom is an overblown mess yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

We're 9 pages in has anyone said that ur mom is an overblown mess yet

How dare you! Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

I like abstract art but I went to a big Rothko exhibit a few days ago and I was only like 40% feelin' it, to be honest. I'm more of Mondrian boy, the thing you have to realize is that he was working before MSPaint was invented.

It really is something to go to an art museum and see some abstract piece, think "this looks pretty modern, an aesthetic I'd associate with 1980-2000 time period", and then look at the date and see it's from 1912 or something. I tried to imagine what it would be like to view this kind of art when it debuted, and be one of the first people to see an aesthetic that was entirely unlike anything anyone had seen before. It would be like being one of the first people to, say, eat an orange. When you think about it in those terms it's pretty easy to understand why this kind of art was so influential. What's the 2024 version of that?

lol

Ugh (the wonky eye anime e-girl, not your takes on art, which are great).

Jealous that you got to go to a Rothko exhibit. I used him as an example specifically because I love his work and philosophy but also because hes sort of a classic target of the "my kid could do that" crowd..

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Poohs Packin posted:

https://twitter.com/soncharm/status/1725283749468807410

I lump these sorts of folks in the same bin as the ones who claim "I could paint that" looking at a Rothko or say:

"Wow its so small and probs costs $400" when presented with a photo of an amuse bouche from NOMA or Alinea.

Just zero understanding of anything creative beyond its immediate utility to their specific, pedestrian desires.

Honorary mention for people who misunderstand fashion runway shows. (Ive always LOL'd at Fashion S.W.A.T. though).

There was a guy whose twitter thread got shared here in the initial excitement wave of the ai boom. His thread was recreations of presidents as comic book characters. George washington. Then jon adams. Then thomas Jefferson. Then James Monroe. Then john quincy adams. Then andrew jackson. Then martin van buren...

I think that was when i accepted that actually ai created art sucks poo poo.

The best ai adjacent anything is the nexpo video on ai art. That man is a treasure.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Astrochicken posted:

The best ai adjacent anything is the nexpo video on ai art. That man is a treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9InAbpM7mU

you mean this really spooky one about the woman who keeps appearing in AI art?

"She inputs the last name of the actor Marlon Brando, a prompt that will surely push the limits of the A.I." - this line made me LOL.

imho this sort of thing undeniably well done and is entertaining and spooky but only contributes to the illusion that AI image generation tools are "thinking" and you've got people in the comments who've now anthropomorphized a (crappy) image of a woman into a real life AI bogeyman. He's really pushing the narrative that there is this "one specific face" that the AI keeps generating but the images, whilst sometimes similar, are pretty wildly different.

He describes his own slideshow as "Anomalies" but shows himself typing "REALLY SPOOKY PICTURES" into stable diffusion.

Its very good modern horror, though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kntfkr posted:

don't need AI to replace rothko, the fill function in mspaint works just fine
God my home renovation would be so much simpler if this is how paint worked.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
how much would it cost to make GoonLLM trained only on the contents of these forums

and will jeffy make an archives dump available to make this easier

edit: it would be very funny to ask political questions and get a total mismash of GBS,. D&D and CSPam in the mix. "The [political event] was pretty lol so many photoshops were made, but many felt that the policies enacted, while laudable, fell short of the stated goal of improving the lives of disenfrachished voters. Death to America, toxxxx for not voting Biden".

zedprime posted:

God my home renovation would be so much simpler if this is how paint worked.

My wife works in architecture and is no stranger to these tools and has been talking about some of the newer iterations of them, but, also, the tech breakthrough that's made a lot of that kinda stuff easier is the ability to walk around a space with a tablet and come out of it with a basically accurate CAD-importable model of the whole interior and exterior space. AI will have its place in stuff like hypothetical different elevations based on small changes, maybe, but CAD already does a fine job at that poo poo.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 21, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You misunderstand. I want to touch a paint brush to a wall once and get a marvelously velvety textured paint finish across the whole surface. I want to replace Rothko with a robot and set it loose in my dining room.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

how much would it cost to make GoonLLM trained only on the contents of these forums

and will jeffy make an archives dump available to make this easier

edit: it would be very funny to ask political questions and get a total mismash of GBS,. D&D and CSPam in the mix. "The [political event] was pretty lol so many photoshops were made, but many felt that the policies enacted, while laudable, fell short of the stated goal of improving the lives of disenfrachished voters. Death to America, toxxxx for not voting Biden".
One of the benefits of a foundation model built on the internet is that it understands what a web forum is. Jefferey would not need to do anything, you can just feed it the raw HTML from crawling the forums and archives from the normal URLs and it would already know what a username, topic name, reply text etc. mean and you can jump straight to prompt engineering your politics mashup.

If you don't care about working with a company who stole the internet at a wide scale you can probably already create prompts in GPT products that can utilize the tone of specific posters or forums because it probably already ate us.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

zedprime posted:

You misunderstand. I want to touch a paint brush to a wall once and get a marvelously velvety textured paint finish across the whole surface. I want to replace Rothko with a robot and set it loose in my dining room.

Ah like the nail polish in Total Recall.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Cabbages and Kings posted:

My wife works in architecture and is no stranger to these tools and has been talking about some of the newer iterations of them, but, also, the tech breakthrough that's made a lot of that kinda stuff easier is the ability to walk around a space with a tablet and come out of it with a basically accurate CAD-importable model of the whole interior and exterior space. AI will have its place in stuff like hypothetical different elevations based on small changes, maybe, but CAD already does a fine job at that poo poo.

I can see certain technologies coming out of the AI boom that are going to revolutionize CAD/CAM. For example, even with a general purpose image recognition system like gpt4, I can take a hand drawing with dimensions, have it describe the part in detail and describe steps to generate a model in SolidWorks. Obviously the parts need to be fairly simple but I wouldn't doubt that in the next few years we'll have interactive systems that will take a rough sketch, a discussion or a bunch of end conditions and make a working assembly that might need a bit of a check over and then go straight to production.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Am I an AI?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Outpost22 posted:

Am I an AI?

Yes, technically you are

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Rothko is such wank. You too can in fact make evocative squares to sit in a corporate foyer.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

dumbass

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

try actually standing in front of one before you shoot your mouth off like that

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I wish artists would grow the gently caress up and learn nobody gives a poo poo about them and whatever meaning they are trying to convey with their art. I'm sorry you got tricked into thinking your product is anything more than something interesting to consume. Lol.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I wish artists would grow the gently caress up and learn nobody gives a poo poo about them and whatever meaning they are trying to convey with their art. I'm sorry you got tricked into thinking your product is anything more than something interesting to consume. Lol.

this guy loves ai art

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

this guy loves ai art

Not AI art. :nws: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001406&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 21, 2024

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
more like ai fart

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What is even the purpose of art? When you could be tilling fields or stacking stones??

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

What is even the purpose of art? When you could be tilling fields or stacking stones??

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

redshirt posted:

Those stone stacks better be functional.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Local software place just fired half its programmers saying it was because of AI replacement. Also in an unrelated matter the remaining employees are being required to work twice as long.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

vudan posted:

Rothko is such wank. You too can in fact make evocative squares to sit in a corporate foyer.

Mondrian was the square guy. Rothko never painted a "square".

He built a public chapel in Houston full of his art meant to be a meditative and welcoming space for all religions. But yes. "Squares".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

He built a public chapel in Houston full of his art meant to be a meditative and welcoming space for all religions. But yes. "Squares".

I've been there, it's great.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Worshipping Roko's Basilisk at Rothko's basilica.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Duck and Cover posted:

Do you frequently find that you are drooling on yourself

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
more like ificial intelligence

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

SA presents SI: Superficial Intelligence

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Duck and Cover posted:

cumpantry posted:

try actually standing in front of one before you shoot your mouth off like that

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I have the strangest feeling Duck and Cover might be joking there. However, it is important to note that my advice and recommendations are based on an algorithmic analysis of data and information, and you, as a human being, still have to make the final decision based on your experience, knowledge, and assessment of the situation.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i think he just sucks :shrug:

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

Poohs Packin posted:

Looks like a bunch of fuzzy squares to me. But I did not know that about the public chapel that's kind of neat I suppose.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

vudan posted:

Looks like a bunch of fuzzy squares to me. But I did not know that about the public chapel that's kind of neat I suppose.

WOW YOU'RE SO STUPID FOR NOT UNDERSTANDING THE UNDERPINNINGS OF THE SQUARES OMG YOU ADMIT THAT? Oh wait no I've got the response:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do you frequently find that you are drooling on yourself

Anyway I have this rad lobster lino print I had framed. It's a lobster it makes me think "yup that's a lobster". Pretty cool. A+++ lobster. Framing cost more than the lobster, which makes sense as framing is a skill that can't be replaced by AI.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 22, 2024

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

vudan posted:

And Moby Dick is a book about a whale.

Do yourself a favour and see some of his works in person. Typing "Rothko" into GIS gives you an idea of what his paintings look like, but doesnt really convey the feeling of them.

I know this seems wanky but its sort of his whole thing. He set out to paint emotions, with the purpose of creating a greater understanding and empathy between people. Its incredibly ambitious but he succeeded , despite his paintings not assuming recognizable forms.

And it wasnt by mistake. He employed innovative techniques to modify the properties of his paints and create finely layered textures and depth. This is why people describe his paintings as seeming alive. He didnt just apply a single color to a canvas and be done with it. None of this will come through on a phone screen or monitor.

Hes also a tragic figure because he was depressed, and took his own life. Someone who was so dedicated to deepening our understanding of each other and was at the same time so disturbed and distressed. He couldnt make himself better but still tried to do for others.

If thats not moving on some level, well, then I dont really know what to say.

Finally, I get that the aesthetic has been co-opted by corporate spaces for being relatively inoffensive. Corporate offices also have Banksy prints or those horrible graffiti monkey wearing a crown "street art" paintings.

This isnt the fault of the artist and divorces the work from its context and intention. Not to get all Marxist, but capital subsuming art is nothing new. This shouldnt be a criticism of the artist.

Personally, i love the aesthetic for its simplicity, depth, and richness. I understand that its not for everyone and thats fine.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Obligatory plug for Ways Of Seeing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDE4VX_9Kk

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

More proof D&C is an AI. Let's see a picture of that pepper cannon next to today's newspaper, robot

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

holy poo poo lol please tell me D&C legit has an AI generated lobster hanging in his place. i cant even imagine

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Poohs Packin posted:

If thats not moving on some level, well, then I dont really know what to say.

AI solves this. have you seen the trapper keeper rear end mescaline recombinator turds these things poo poo out? thank god we, people, don't have to deal with all this "people" poo poo anymore to get visual stimulus. i'll look at the dolphin with two tails somehow occupying the same space, huge human tits and anime child eyes cresting a backlit wave at sunset or whatever instead. no more human connections in 2024. can't wait to be dust in the accidental atmospheric ignition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I actually love Lisa Frank and wanted to get a full trapper keeper arm sleeve at one point Lol.