Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Wamsutta posted:

I’m trying just Barrett on easy but I can’t do enough damage and the little guys end up suiciding

Also why does lock on not actually mean lock on in this game? I’ve had this problem since the tutorial. I can’t consistently actually lock on to the target I want. And when I do it automatically changes anyway

You have to change the setting so it only switches targets with the dpad. Otherwise you switch targets anytime you use the analog stick to control the camera. I guess the expectation would be that you let the camera follow the target (also an option you can toggle) and never touch it, like armored core 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm also a Yuffie lover and it makes me happy that she has a lot of interaction with Barret. They respect each other's game and have a number of funny interactions. I especially liked choosing (not sure chapter, the minecart bit) the track that makes Yuffie mad and Barret happy lol

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Wamsutta posted:

I’m trying just Barrett on easy but I can’t do enough damage and the little guys end up suiciding

Also why does lock on not actually mean lock on in this game? I’ve had this problem since the tutorial. I can’t consistently actually lock on to the target I want. And when I do it automatically changes anyway

The lock on will switch when the flayer teleports so watch for that - you can always switch targets with the menu up too if you want to be extra sure of who you’re targeting.

I just did this trial earlier and I would strongly recommend at least one other party member and just go for synergy as fast as possible possible as that’s the only thing that will pressure the flayer and it makes it significantly faster. You do have to babysit them but you’ll be switching back and forth a lot to build ATB so it’s no biggie

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
So the new patch made Graphics mode more tolerable to where I might use it. The menu is no longer feeling like a laggy POS so they may have uncapped the frame rate it for it. Motion in general also seems significantly better/less choppy.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 22, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Finally beat Red Dragon. Absolutely awful experience. It's not even that hard otherwise, it's just a case of automatic loss if he starts Crimson Breath and you don't have a magnify Manaward and enough gauge to heal/res afterward ready to go immediately. Please tell me this is absolutely confirmed to be a glitch and not just one of those times when Square didn't understand how to make a thing difficult without making it miserable.

It's definitely a case of Assess Screen Lies, but surely, surely, he says in the unmistakeable tone of someone not at all sure, if they changed how a thing the Assessment directly tells you about works in Hard Mode they would have changed the Assessment to tell you about it?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Wonder if you can survive the attack by launching Tifa into the air and just hovering around via dodges until it's over.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Also lol at the game having an actual option to auto-collect crafting materials by proximity, but you have to beat the game to unlock it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Just Andi Now posted:

Wonder if you can survive the attack by launching Tifa into the air and just hovering around via dodges until it's over.

This works lol

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
"I have a couple of hours free tonight, and it feels like I'm close to the end."
Several hours later
FF7R: "You fool! There's no end!

C'mon I'm +60 hours in and really just want to finish the story.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

From the point where the game says "this is it", make sure you have at least two unbroken hours to play!

e: what do you mean I didn't complete all quests perfectly. Wait, in Gold Cup or Bust I have to get first place in all 3 races? gently caress! How do I reset just that quest without having to redo every other quest too?

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 22, 2024

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Can't believe I got the Red XIII date instead of anyone else honestly.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Well just experienced a certain sequential series of scenes in the endgame dungeon a few hours ago. I went out to dinner, had a single drink, and it broke some dam inside of me and I ugly cried on the train ride home.

This game is killing me in the last act.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The chicken side quest was good and all but it has nothing on the Tifa side quest in Nibelheim. 10/10 GOTY

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The part where Red pretends to be human to be in the card tournament took me by surprise so much I might have laughed more at that than anything else recently.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rosalind posted:

Well just experienced a certain sequential series of scenes in the endgame dungeon a few hours ago. I went out to dinner, had a single drink, and it broke some dam inside of me and I ugly cried on the train ride home.

This game is killing me in the last act.

I should have seen it coming given everything else that was happening, but didn't until it loaded in. What a gut punch.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm also a Yuffie lover and it makes me happy that she has a lot of interaction with Barret. They respect each other's game and have a number of funny interactions. I especially liked choosing (not sure chapter, the minecart bit) the track that makes Yuffie mad and Barret happy lol

Barret takes Yuffie under his wing, he's just being "Dad" mode with her and its adorable. Yuffie defends Barret too at Corral.

edit:

https://twitter.com/Azezazel/status/1769795193304129754

so cute

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 22, 2024

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the open world fatigue sets in just as the regions get more annoying to navigate. its like they want me to start skipping it

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

mistermojo posted:

the open world fatigue sets in just as the regions get more annoying to navigate. its like they want me to start skipping it

I started to skip it Gongag you are not alone. The Hardest part is playing at Normal without the materia.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The relationship between Yuffie and Barret is neat because they both hate Shinra, but Yuffie seemingly couldn't care less about the environmental angle of Barret's beef with Shinra. So whenever she's talking about how life is easier with mako, you can see the tension on what exactly they're fighting Shinra for.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rabid Snake posted:

I started to skip it Gongag you are not alone. The Hardest part is playing at Normal without the materia.

The trick is to skip Gongaga entirely, feel like you've taken back your power, then enjoy the following region while feeling refreshed.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yin and Yang is the worst boss fight in the game and it isn’t even loving close.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I had switched to graphics mode before the patch and was just starting to get used to the lower frame rate when the patch dropped and now it feels incredible. Meanwhile I keep meaning to go back to golden saucer for minigames but I keep getting holed up in storyline stuff. Cosmo canyon plot stuff is really good but I dunno how I'm gonna like the open world, it seems like gongaga with more room for error on my part

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In my opinion, cosmo canyon sucks and gongaga gets undue hate. Gongaga is a lot easier to navigate than is claimed but in my opinion everything about chocobo gliding sucks rear end and hitting the vents is unnecessarily finicky and difficult.

On top of that the entire layout of cosmo canyon is extremely loving boring and essentially just the Corel desert, again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What the hell the last 2 Extreme VR missions take like an hour to complete(not to mention how much time is wasted on failed attempts). Come on Square, that’s not cool

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

it took me a bit to figure out but i didn't think chocobo gliding was all that bad. i'm definitely not going to try to get more than the minimum passing score on the courses though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NieR Occomata posted:

Yin and Yang is the worst boss fight in the game and it isn’t even loving close.

It's like a two minute button mash where you alternate the button's mashed damage type.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The moogle round up mini game has sucked boatloads of poo poo since the very first easy one, and the gongaga one where they turn it into a maze is so loving stupid. It's unbelievable the worst mini game by such a distance is such a large part of this game.
I was loving scouring every square inch of every open map and a number of things in gongaga have sucked the life out of it, and it's not open world fatigue, I'd do the first 4 maps all over again in a heartbeat.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
Looking forward to hating Gongaga for myself when I get there 😁

Edit: apropos of nothing, the South American sounding, pan-pipey music that plays at the end of the Condor sidequest is extremely good. Gives me Ixa'Taka vibes

Double edit: Or The Lonely Shepherd from Kill Bill

Trip Hazard fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 22, 2024

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

Just realized you can press L2/R2 at Gold Saucer shops to swap between all of them, you don’t have to physically go to each square.

Huh this applies to Chadley’s materia too

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Today's patch has apparently broken the Ultimate Party Animal quest to not properly credit each stage so you'll need to come back to it later.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

bewilderment posted:

Today's patch has apparently broken the Ultimate Party Animal quest to not properly credit each stage so you'll need to come back to it later.

Good thing I did that quest the day before the patch dropped, lol

The coliseum fight was something else. Still not quite sure how I got through it.

Also, the game is lucky it's so god drat charming, because I was VERY annoyed that the scores I'd already gotten didn't count and I had to do those minigames again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Another nice QoL feature I noticed: In postgame the map shows areas of interest and Chocobo stops you’ve missed

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

The lock on will switch when the flayer teleports so watch for that - you can always switch targets with the menu up too if you want to be extra sure of who you’re targeting.

I just did this trial earlier and I would strongly recommend at least one other party member and just go for synergy as fast as possible possible as that’s the only thing that will pressure the flayer and it makes it significantly faster. You do have to babysit them but you’ll be switching back and forth a lot to build ATB so it’s no biggie

I can’t seem to keep the AI from killing the little dudes, even switching off constantly. I’m over 50 attempts on this now, 20 on Dynamic and 30 on Easy. I think I’m writing off the VR challenges from this point and just rushing the rest of the story. A challenge that punishes you for killing something, get the gently caress out of here. I’ve kinda had it.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

You could always try the solo Yuffie strat in easy mode. She has Blindside to get out of stun if you ever get hit by the scream, so as long as you have 1 ATB you'll be safe and can just whittle the mindflayer's HP down while keeping away from the little guys.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It's funny how that fight is possibly the hardest in the whole game because there's so much out of your control if you just try to play normally.

I think Yuffie + Red duo party might actually work because Yuffie can easily fill both ATBs with Foxfire so you'll still have access to synergy

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 22, 2024

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

NieR Occomata posted:

In my opinion, cosmo canyon sucks and gongaga gets undue hate. Gongaga is a lot easier to navigate than is claimed but in my opinion everything about chocobo gliding sucks rear end and hitting the vents is unnecessarily finicky and difficult.

On top of that the entire layout of cosmo canyon is extremely loving boring and essentially just the Corel desert, again.

I did not once find gliding into the air currents unecessaryily finicky. Gongaga sucks because you look at the map and it’s incredibly difficult to tell how to get places. I found Cosmo Canyon very intuitive because all you have to do is just jump off of every ramp you can, if it has the floating propellers in front of it you can just follow them to the next one and so on. If you gently caress up a jump, you can immediately warp back. You can’t do that in Gongaga, if you’re navigating mushrooms and you go the wrong way you either have to find your way back or warp to a point kinda near where you started. The numerous quick travel points is what makes Cosmo Canyon better.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Wamsutta posted:

I can’t seem to keep the AI from killing the little dudes, even switching off constantly. I’m over 50 attempts on this now, 20 on Dynamic and 30 on Easy. I think I’m writing off the VR challenges from this point and just rushing the rest of the story. A challenge that punishes you for killing something, get the gently caress out of here. I’ve kinda had it.

It's just straight up lovely, I got through it by building Synergy ASAP and using magnify + stop when I needed to get a bit of breathing room but a lot of it just felt like it came down to luck rather than any particular skill

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just did Magnify->Sleep on Barret and had my whole team go ham on the Mindflayer until it finally worked.

--

So the only things I have left to do in chapter 13 are:
Become the Ultimate Party Animal (currently bugged)
Minigames to full-rank or do the hard modes of (don't really feel like it)
Gilgamesh Island (tried one fight, "Come back at level 65" seems about right)

Is the game gonna rub it in my face if I don't do any of these or am I in the clear to continue the plot? I'm done with every other sidequest, cleared all world intel, have every weapon I can have up until now (to my knowledge).

Aside: Chapter 12 boss:
I was totally ready to make fun of complainers but nah that kinda sucked because the timings for when he Reloads are totally non-obvious, there's not an intuitive sense of how many 'shots' he has. My real winning strategy was building up enough ATB and letting Bahamut Arisen time him out to the next phase. I could occasionally get the Braver off but he felt way too inconsistent. Not a fun fight!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

WaltherFeng posted:

It's funny how that fight is possibly the hardest in the whole game because there's so much out of your control if you just try to play normally.

I think Yuffie + Red duo party might actually work because Yuffie can easily fill both ATBs with Foxfire so you'll still have access to synergy

I just put a sleep materia on someone (Barret? He builds ATB quick, it was probably Barret), slept the little guys, and then went all-in on the Mindflayer, refreshing Sleep whenever the little ones woke up. Took one attempt and wasn't particularly close :shrug:

Pretty sure the AI won't target sleeping targets, presumably to avoid waking them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Instant Grat posted:

I just put a sleep materia on someone (Barret? He builds ATB quick, it was probably Barret), slept the little guys, and then went all-in on the Mindflayer, refreshing Sleep whenever the little ones woke up. Took one attempt and wasn't particularly close :shrug:

Pretty sure the AI won't target sleeping targets, presumably to avoid waking them up.

This is also a protip for any Chadley fight that involves White Terror, just put the guy to sleep while you deal with the other threat. Earsplitting Howl is a ridiculously overtuned move.