Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Capcom does this for every game they make these days not that it excuses anything. I think Devil May Cry 4 SE was the first game they released with this type of garbage in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is the difference between A B C

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is the difference between A B C

Presumably they're a workaround so you can repeatedly buy them as Steam normally doesn't let you rebuy DLC for your own account.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Apparently Capcom is charging you 2 bucks a pop to edit your character's appearance in DragDog 2, a game that already costs 70 bucks

E: lmao the amount of mtx on release day

lol was coming here to post that.

Sure do love $64 AUD worth of shitass Day 1 DLC for my $108 video game!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

personally I think its insanely funny that theyre selling wakestones, because its a tax on people that are mad about the game theyre playing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

itd be like if you could pay $2 for a humanity in dark souls

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

just about to finish up this run of dd1, with the wiki loaded up the whole time of course because I've been here before, thinking about that quest near the end of it where the two knights are having a duel and one of the uncommunicated solutions to that quest is to kill one of the knights and then use a wakestone to revive him so he can go to jail, and imagining the guy that really wants that to happen but doesn't have a wakestone and angrily gets out his credit card

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Apparently Capcom is charging you 2 bucks a pop to edit your character's appearance in DragDog 2, a game that already costs 70 bucks

E: lmao the amount of mtx on release day

I'm not going to defend the mtx but that is one of those "buy with real money to save time in game" things, at least.

This shop isn't even an hour into the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Aren't these things in a non-server based game something you could just mod/cheatengine?

Is there an anti-cheat on it

There doesn't appear to be, people are making some progress already with finding the right edits for things like gold, unlimited mana, health, etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Your character data is saved on their server.

Not quite, your pawn is saved on their server if you're online, but your character is saved in the cloud and offline, and you can delete your save data and start over (it just cant be done in-game for some reason).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hogama posted:

I'm not going to defend the mtx but that is one of those "buy with real money to save time in game" things, at least.

This shop isn't even an hour into the game.

It costs $3 to buy that 1 use item as DLC.

Regardless of how good DD2 is, it's still a lovely lovely practice

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Capcom Arcade Tokens you can spend on games to get an extra continue or rest to save your game and restore health. Maybe have it drain some health every second, Gauntlet style. They want pay per play back.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

who is going to buy an item that's trivial to acquire in the game

are there people that just buy every DLC they see

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

homeless snail posted:

just about to finish up this run of dd1, with the wiki loaded up the whole time of course because I've been here before, thinking about that quest near the end of it where the two knights are having a duel and one of the uncommunicated solutions to that quest is to kill one of the knights and then use a wakestone to revive him so he can go to jail, and imagining the guy that really wants that to happen but doesn't have a wakestone and angrily gets out his credit card

Lmao. Just did that quest, I knew there had to be an alternative, but I didn’t want to interfere. I love how clever DD can be, but I hope DD2 goes about it just a tad bit less opaquely. Like it’s really easy to overlook how much pawns pick up from you, because the behavior changes can be subtle, and it’s natural to assume that they’re programmed to be dumbasses rather than this arising from imitating you.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zokari posted:

who is going to buy an item that's trivial to acquire in the game

are there people that just buy every DLC they see

Gotta be. The stuff they sell in Yakuza is hilariously worthless, stuff you get too much of in-game to ever use anyway. The few times I've gotten whatever package deals that include all DLC it mostly sits unused entirely.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’ve made my peace with those sort of mtx. As long as it’s believable that their inclusion didn’t affect the balancing of the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Infinitum posted:

Capcom have been doing this in almost every game since 2008, it's never mattered.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

killed the final boss of dd1 with 3 minutes left on my dd2 download. this is true gaming power.

i still freakin love, the entire ending sequence of dragons dogma from like, the moment the duke takes you to the treasury on for the next 5 hours. incredible roller coaster, and incredibly weird and esoteric ending matter befitting dragons dogma

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

homeless snail posted:

killed the final boss of dd1 with 3 minutes left on my dd2 download. this is true gaming power.

i still freakin love, the entire ending sequence of dragons dogma from like, the moment the duke takes you to the treasury on for the next 5 hours. incredible roller coaster, and incredibly weird and esoteric ending matter befitting dragons dogma

yeah it loving rules

attack and dethrone god

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Lmao. Just did that quest, I knew there had to be an alternative, but I didn’t want to interfere. I love how clever DD can be, but I hope DD2 goes about it just a tad bit less opaquely. Like it’s really easy to overlook how much pawns pick up from you, because the behavior changes can be subtle, and it’s natural to assume that they’re programmed to be dumbasses rather than this arising from imitating you.
I think dd occasionally has some overlap with way of the samurai and that one quest in particular is insanely wots. it's just two guys in a room playing out what looks like a cutscene, and there's like four different ways to interact with it that don't feel like interactions at all, but the game acknowledges each of them

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I am also looking forward to playing Dragon's Dogma 2

I recreated my main pawn from the PS3 game as my actual character this time which I thought was a cute idea (i do not remember how the first game ends hopefully they didn't die or something)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Really turned off from DD2 by the mtx drop, like the stuff itself is lovely but whatever, it's the dropping it on Day 1 after all the reviews and influencer videos are up that's real scuzzy

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Since gamers are so incensed about dlc you'd think they'd remember how dragons dogma 1 launched with a ton of dlc too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

Really turned off from DD2 by the mtx drop, like the stuff itself is lovely but whatever, it's the dropping it on Day 1 after all the reviews and influencer videos are up that's real scuzzy
it's just random 'buy this to increase your level' stuff that capcom forces the devs to put in, its not at all anything anyone with two brain cells would buy so its pretty harmless

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Even though it's pretty obviously tacked on and the game isn't built around it, it does kinda color each of those design decisions. What are intentional design decisions intended to cause friction against the player are seen by the publisher as potential points of profit, just a few bucks to sidesteps.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

Even though it's pretty obviously tacked on and the game isn't built around it, it does kinda color each of those design decisions. What are intentional design decisions intended to cause friction against the player are seen by the publisher as potential points of profit, just a few bucks to sidesteps.

People have said the exact same thing about every Capcom game since 2008 and it has never ever made any difference and it won't this time.

DD1 has the same DLC

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

considering that you can buy the 'edit your appearance' item an hour in for a pittance, i assume not much

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

lets hang out posted:

Since gamers are so incensed about dlc you'd think they'd remember how dragons dogma 1 launched with a ton of dlc too

Remember things? Pah. I wanna be angry right now!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Remember when people were mad about the Infinite Wealth DLC? That didn't last long.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
RE4 Remake has the same style of DLC it’s strange that that one never got review bombed like DD2 is currently

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Paying2Lurk posted:

Remember when people were mad about the Infinite Wealth DLC? That didn't last long.

Yong Yea was in it so it wasn't beneficial for him to make a video about it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Infinitum posted:

Aren't you the WoW guy?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paying2Lurk posted:

That was actually worse than some consumables you can just buy in game anyway too lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Paying2Lurk posted:

Because nobody really cares about the Yakuza series, so people just sighed and moved on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think in dragon's dogma's case the 'fast travel is limited' and 'you can buy THIS to fast travel!!' thing is catching people off

ofc fast travel isnt *that* limited but people who havent played it dont know that

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It is just the usual scummy optional MTX that Capcom puts into their games. People just noticed it this time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

i think in dragon's dogma's case the 'fast travel is limited' and 'you can buy THIS to fast travel!!' thing is catching people off

ofc fast travel isnt *that* limited but people who havent played it dont know that

Yeah, and how much they emphasized a lot of those aspects of the game in marketing and presenting the game.

At least they're not selling an extra sphinx chance

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mr Hootington posted:

It is just the usual scummy optional MTX that Capcom puts into their games. People just noticed it this time.

Also a bunch of reviews said it runs badly* on PC so all the PC nerds are review bombing it and using that as an excuse. Which is funny because I've played about an hour of it now on PC and shocker that stuff has been hugely overblown.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

This is normally the correct way to approach this stuff, but in this case we have the context of Capcom doing this poo poo for years. It's not good, but it's not the EA style where the entire game warps into a giant funnel aimed at your wallet, it's lazy slapped on fishing for a few extra dollars from idiots and very specific kinds of mental illness.

Mr Hootington posted:

People notice every time and always forget because it's a big nothing. There was an uproar when DMCV had DLC to sell you red orbs, a currency that drops like candy in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Aren't you the WoW guy?

Yeah and they do dumb poo poo as well.

Like a limited time battle royale mode that's absolute dogshit