Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bumhead posted:

The aesthetic of Fallout 4 really rubbed me the wrong way for reasons Im not quite sure of.

Just seemed really inconsistent to me in a way I dont recall 3 or NV being. Its entirely possible thats just because 3/NV looked like complete poo poo, though.

Something about 4's setting just wasn't even remotely interesting to me, and that turned me off from ever playing much of it (while I played a lot of New Vegas). I just couldn't bring myself to care about exploring in it. Everything felt contrived, like some weird fanfiction version of the Fallout world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

E: nm

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Ytlaya posted:

Something about 4's setting just wasn't even remotely interesting to me, and that turned me off from ever playing much of it (while I played a lot of New Vegas). I just couldn't bring myself to care about exploring in it. Everything felt contrived, like some weird fanfiction version of the Fallout world.

I was actually excited for the setting when it was announced - you can do some cool stuff with New England like mountains, cities, ocean, and different callouts like H.P. Lovecraft if you get to Providence, or Stephen King if you visit Maine, etc.

They just... didn't do much interesting stuff.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Annath posted:

Ok, all joking aside, basically anything in your bathroom when you flush your toilet has fecal coliform bacteria on it, full stop. It has nothing to do with wiping, it's flushing that spreads the germs around.

Closing the lid before flushing helps, but does not entirely eliminate this.

These bacteria are gross, but not particularly harmful if you wash your hands and keep your bathroom tidy (although make sure you're rinsing off your toothbrush before using it.)

But you really don't want to be taking things into and out of the bathroom when using the toilet unless you clean them, because touching them after washing your hands will just spread the germs around.

One of the first things I learned in nursing school was just how bad the vast majority of people are at washing their hands, including myself. We had to rub a water soluble fluorescent dye on our hands, then wash them. Then our instructors pulled out the black light and showed us just how much surface area we missed.

It was eye opening.

Anyway this has been your Steam Deck Medical Minute, brought to you by Charmin.

Fun fact: Over half of hospital acquired multi-resistant infections can be traced to the pets of healthcare workers (like nurses, doctors, etc).

Moral of the story is...?
(Fallout 3 is the best one in the series).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

funk_mata posted:

Dunno if its been recommended in this thread before, but Tann put out a version of Slice & Dice on Steam yesterday. Seeing as I've spent probably 20-40 hours on the shitter playing this game on the Deck I figured I'd recommend it here. It's close to reaching Balatro levels of addictiveness, but is an awesome dice-based roguelite in its own right. Anyway, there's technically no controller support, but the default controller bindings set the right thumbstick to the mouse and the left and L2/R2 to Undo/Select which works well enough.

Slice and Dice is actually a much better game than Balatro once you get into it, but I'm very satisfied with it on Mobile.

And that may be the only game I ever say that about.

Though I may double-dip once Balatro hits Android.

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

Hammer Bro. posted:

Slice and Dice is actually a much better game than Balatro once you get into it, but I'm very satisfied with it on Mobile.

And that may be the only game I ever say that about.

Though I may double-dip once Balatro hits Android.

Yeah, I think Slice & Dice has more variety in its mechanics and in the large number of different class skill interactions. Balatro likes to push you towards running flush (shitter pun intended) builds too much. That being said, there's something about the music+sound+gameplay combination in Balatro that keeps bringing me back for another round. I'm a little disappointed Slice & Dice's music is kind of generic fantasy, but maybe it'll grow on me.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
It normal for a deck to completely lose its charge on its own not being plugged in for a couple weeks?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
After messing with some emulators I'll say my one deck quibble is the dpad. It works, but the placement feels a bit awkward for my hands. Then again I have weird long E.T. fingers so that's probably part of the problem. I also prefer a textured pad to glossy, but that's secondary.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Minotaurus Rex posted:

It normal for a deck to completely lose its charge on its own not being plugged in for a couple weeks?

weeks? i think so

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Yes absolutely. It will last about 5 ish days in suspend mode before it dies.

Also Horizon forbidden West seems to run decently if thats your jam

https://youtu.be/plpKYBnuHgE?si=XLlfGNREeToGyKJS

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Yep

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Ah thats alright then. Was worried for the battery a second there, thanks all

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Went to put my Deck into desktop mode and the screen went black and wont display anything.

I can tell its working because fiddling with the power button affects my Bluetooth headphones.

Any suggestions?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Try hooking it up to a monitor.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My DS Lite spent almost 12 months in a police evidence locker after I was robbed, and it still had a green light when I got it back.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PS vita is the standby battery GOAT that thing lasted forever not even being completely turned off its some serious black magic poo poo

I suspended some random game and then picked the console up again like 3 months later and it was still just hanging out with like 50% battery

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A few years ago I turned on my DS lite which hasn't been plugged in since like 2009 and it came on still having battery

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

Try hooking it up to a monitor.

I dont have the right equipment do that :/

E: now its back. That was scary.

Ee: still wont go to desktop

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 22, 2024

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

hadji murad posted:

I dont have the right equipment do that :/

E: now its back. That was scary.

Ee: still wont go to desktop

We talked about this in the discord at some point a couple months ago. I think we narrowed it down to this in the end:

For anyone having Boot to Desktop Blackscreen issues, turns out one of the culprits was the Decky Plugins "Decky Recorder" or "OpenDeckStream" I was tearing my hair out as the only way I had been able to get into dekstop mode after trying all the "fixes" was to downgrade from Main to Stable SteamOS builds which worked ONCE but then failed until I did the update/downgrade Again. This fixed it so far with consistent boot to Desktops working normally. Ugh.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Put heroic on my deck and am now downloading alpha protocol at a blazing 0.02 mb/s.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Vegastar posted:

We talked about this in the discord at some point a couple months ago. I think we narrowed it down to this in the end:

For anyone having Boot to Desktop Blackscreen issues, turns out one of the culprits was the Decky Plugins "Decky Recorder" or "OpenDeckStream" I was tearing my hair out as the only way I had been able to get into dekstop mode after trying all the "fixes" was to downgrade from Main to Stable SteamOS builds which worked ONCE but then failed until I did the update/downgrade Again. This fixed it so far with consistent boot to Desktops working normally. Ugh.

Just installed Decky Loader yesterday. Ill uninstall and see. Thanks!

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

anyone try running dragons dogma 2 on the deck? i am curious how low you have to go to get it running okay

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Cant get the GoG version of Icewind dale 2 to work on my deck :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cerepol posted:

anyone try running dragons dogma 2 on the deck? i am curious how low you have to go to get it running okay

Everything set to low fsr 3 ultra performance Im getting 10 fps lol

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Cerepol posted:

Touch Arcade put out a review that it gets around 10fps no matter what you do. Im holding off getting it until hopefully there is some optimizations or it goes on sale on PS5. Sucks because this is the perfect SD game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I didn't bother with Decky because the idea of futzing with plugins every system update is not worth the features.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

Put heroic on my deck and am now downloading alpha protocol at a blazing 0.02 mb/s.

Use Lutris instead. Download the .exe direct from GOG through chrome at your full internet speed and then install via Lutris, easy peasy.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Debuffed posted:

That is the wifi chip going into power saving mode, but for me, when I "wake it up" it doesn't drop back into it again until I put the Deck into sleep mode. Hopefully this gets fixed completely at some point, I've got everything else setup perfectly, this is the only manual intervention I have to do for a workable experience.

If you use decky loader, theres an option in the decky settings to show valve internal debug settings. Then if you go into settings and rifle through them you should now find a button to turn off wifi power saving.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Use Lutris instead. Download the .exe direct from GOG through chrome at your full internet speed and then install via Lutris, easy peasy.

Will lutris make Icewind dale 2 work?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vic posted:

I didn't bother with Decky because the idea of futzing with plugins every system update is not worth the features.

Its very annoying but man I appreciate having HLTB stats on every game. The gold / platinum etc compatibility banners are good too.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I havent had to gently caress around with Decky outside the auto updates since moving to stable channel for updates, apart from uninstalling that one plugin that fucks up desktop mode. It used to be pretty bad, admittedly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

Will lutris make Icewind dale 2 work?

I dont see why not!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Vic posted:

It's gotten a lot better, you can bulk update whatever plugins now and generally they don't break unless there's a big update like that one patch a month ago.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I dont see why not!

Ill give it a shot on my next weekend.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s very annoying but man I appreciate having HLTB stats on every game. The gold / platinum etc compatibility banners are good too.

Hasn't this been broken for a while now?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Suburban Dad posted:

Hasn't this been broken for a while now?

HLTB broke a while ago, but if you go to the GitHub page there's a comment from a user saying rolling back to a previous version fixed it.

I rolled back and it worked fine, but I don't remember which version that was.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I actually had a weird issue with the CSS Loader where i installed some CSS themes into that and then each time i looked in game mode (i didn't actually investigate this properly), there was a new random theme i hadn't installed added

I ended up turning it off because some pages broke but it turned out those pages were kind of broken to begin with, I don't think valve has proper automated QA on the big picture mode/game mode thingy

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
yeah I stopped using decky because i got sick of all my plugins breaking and becoming obsolete, including the app itself. not worth it for features i could have with just a phone nearby. the proton badges werent even accurate.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

works fine for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Automata 10 Pack posted:

yeah I stopped using decky because i got sick of all my plugins breaking and becoming obsolete, including the app itself. not worth it for features i could have with just a phone nearby. the proton badges weren’t even accurate.

I've literally never had a single issue that wasn't a very temporary break caused by an update, other than the HLTB thing.

Like, every single ProtonDB badge I've looked at has been accurate. I always click through to the actual page to see if there are suggestions for proton versions or performance settings, but the rating on the site has always matched the rating on the badge.