Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Volte posted:

There's a (false) rumour that it costs $1.99 to make a new character so people are take a righteous stand, godspeed :patriot:

Steam's review system is broken. Misinformation can float to the top easily, so that it becomes the first thing potential customers see and Valve made it worse by implementing engagement systems that encourage meme content. This isn't surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yo one of the male pawn voices is Kruber from Vermintide.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Cross-Section posted:

lest we forget

Shout out to my guy just chilling with Audiosurf.

"boycott of the what-now? good luck bro"

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Phlegmish posted:

Yo one of the male pawn voices is Kruber from Vermintide.

oh drat, guess i'll have to buy this then

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ErrEff posted:

40% review score, 183K people in-game. Hmmmmmmm.

what arbitrary number are you expecting instead, especially given that microtransactions weren’t visible to preorders and people hadn’t experienced the performance for themselves before 13 hours ago

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bumhead posted:

I'm partial to the sole Dragon Age: Origins player myself

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Didn't the whole "Capcom bans mods of their games due to naked Chun Li" turn out to be an overblown reaction to a buggy RE patch that unintentionally interfered with some mods, and because it was a funny idea.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Bumhead posted:

yeah, I was always amused by that part. the person is in an eternal lovely internet meme just being themself :)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Audiosurf ftw

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, how was Audiosurf 2, btw?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If there was still a thread cycle, posting the MW2 boycott group image without understanding it would be definitely somewhere on there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

John Murdoch posted:

If there was still a thread cycle, posting the MW2 boycott group image without understanding it would be definitely somewhere on there.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

John Murdoch posted:

Is there more to it than people playing the game they said they'd boycott?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
out of a group of 800 something people, less than 50 people are currently playing. and only like half of them are playing COD.

it's always brought up as evidence that gamers will complain and cry but not do anything about it because they have no self control. when in fact it's evidence that the poster themselves are too cowardly to have any convictions, and want to make themselves feel better about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

Is there more to it than people playing the game they said they'd boycott?

It was a joke group.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Orv posted:

It was a joke group.

lol

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Foul Fowl posted:

out of a group of 800 something people, less than 50 people are currently playing. and only like half of them are playing COD.

it's always brought up as evidence that gamers will complain and cry but not do anything about it because they have no self control. when in fact it's evidence that the poster themselves are too cowardly to have any convictions, and want to make themselves feel better about it.
Too cowardly to boycott Dragon's Dogma 2 over literally nothing, smdh

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
my favorite joke group was Get Better Loot Through Prayer which started as ironic and now isnt around anymore!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Slice & Dice in Steam has a developer and publisher of Tann.
Slice & Dice in Apple's mobile store has a developer of Oliver Garland.
What?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

C.M. Kruger posted:

wow that's a name I haven't thought of in a long time, I'd say maybe they were before their time with the success of Cruelty Squad and so on but I recall they were more bad and weird than just weird and playable.

The dude behind the studio just re-emerged online after taking some time away to raise a kid, and already I'm curious to see what comes next, mostly I'm just glad he's still alive after going dark across all his media at once mid-pandemic

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

LLSix posted:

Slice & Dice in Steam has a developer and publisher of Tann.
Slice & Dice in Apple's mobile store has a developer of Oliver Garland.
What?

Tann on android also. Just apple being weird as usual, and/or he didn't have the company when he launched on apple and you can't change it or something.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Dragon's Dogma 2 is fun so far and seems a more polished version of the first, as promised. I'm getting around 45fps at 1440p on high settings (medium shadows) and ray tracing on with my RTX 3080.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

funkmeister posted:

Tann on android also. Just apple being weird as usual, and/or he didn't have the company when he launched on apple and you can't change it or something.

Yeah, Apple has stricter identity requirements for app listing than Google or Valve (as we saw with the Helldivers 2 game/dev impersonations a little while ago).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

only 50 out of 800+ people breaking the boycott is pretty good to be honest

Well yeah only 50 people fit in a page, what do the other 17 pages of users show?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wasn't the screenshot taken months after launch too? I remember it took a while to appear back when MW2 launched.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

gently caress yeah man, keep on trucking with those assumptions

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 22, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

holy moley

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Horizons: forbidden west seems to be doing quite well

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cross-Section posted:

gently caress yeah man, keep on trucking with those assumptions

The entire point of posting that image is to make assumptions?

Like does that not count because those assumptions don’t hurt your feelings

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

somebody at Capcom should do the math to see if they're bringing in money from their ridiculously bad microtransactions to offset the sales losses and rotten sentiment that they cause.

My guess is they should take out the scum sucking microtransactions!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

somebody at Capcom should do the math to see if they're bringing in money from their ridiculously bad microtransactions to offset the sales losses and rotten sentiment that they cause.

My guess is they should take out the scum sucking microtransactions!

Considering they haven't had a problem with the identical DLCs for the Resident Evil or DMC games, that seems unlikely.

Most likely outcome is Capcom goes "Wow, guess people really don't like Dragon's Dogma, back to the Monster Hunter mines for you" and not "Suddenly microtransactions are forbidden."

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Another cool bundle popping up, it's The Best of Boomer Shooters Humble Bundle, and it's got a great lineup of Ultrakill, Turbo Overkill, Forgive Me Father 2, Deadlink, Prodeus, Quake 2 and Postal Brain Damaged for just $18.

As a reminder, there is also a Earth Defense Force United Humble Bundle which has EDF 5, 4.1, World Brothers and Iron Rain for just $18.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Considering they haven't had a problem with the identical DLCs for the Resident Evil or DMC games, that seems unlikely

ngl this whole blowup seems fishy, did a big streamer cover it or something.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
They have a big green number showing all the money they made off previous micro transactions from games that didn’t happen to get this viral negapublicity so yeah probably.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think it would have had less of a blowup if people were not already hyper focused on the performance issues and watching launch with a microscope.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Considering they haven't had a problem with the identical DLCs for the Resident Evil or DMC games, that seems unlikely.

Most likely outcome is Capcom goes "Wow, guess people really don't like Dragon's Dogma, back to the Monster Hunter mines for you" and not "Suddenly microtransactions are forbidden."

Sentiment is turning quickly on this on Steam at the very least. Capcom should be aware they're going to miss out on sales of the next Monster Hunter as well. There should be a significant cross-over audience between those games that Capcom is hampering.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They already made an official post on the topic which is pretty fast.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The resident evil games and DMC are pretty niche games which I doubt got anywhere near the numbers DD got on launch

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

ngl this whole blowup seems fishy, did a big streamer cover it or something.

People are (justifiably) upset about the performance but realize that "I am getting 50 FPS most of the time" isn't really a complaint that gains traction outside of specific communities so they've moved on to trying to make claims about the Microtransactions because "lovely predatory microtransactions" are something everyone can agree to hate and it isn't very hard to lie (or flat-out not understand) about what they involve, so you're getting a situation where people are intentionally or unintentionally making claims like "you can't fast travel in the game without a microtransaction" and screaming it so loudly that people correcting them don't get heard.

AngryBooch posted:

Sentiment is turning quickly on this on Steam at the very least. Capcom should be aware they're going to miss out on sales of the next Monster Hunter as well. There should be a significant cross-over audience between those games that Capcom is hampering.

No they won't. Nobody is not going to buy Monster Hunter because of DD2. (And if they did it would be out of performance concerns, not microtransactions, because loving Monster Hunter has those already.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The microtransactions are purposely confusing in that regard in order to get people to buy them, so I don't blame people for being confused.