Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
As someone who hasn't played Honkai 3rd, that new Myriad Celestia was very confusing and I didn't really get a whole lot out of it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Honkai rear end trailer

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 22, 2024

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Danakir posted:

As someone who hasn't played Honkai 3rd, that new Myriad Celestia was very confusing and I didn't really get a whole lot out of it...

She wants to kill IX. Also she should've kept the horns drat it.

Also for further Honks, the male narrator is Kevin Kaslana.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Eimi posted:

She wants to kill IX.

Genuinely, how did you get that from the trailer?

(Also doesn't the description say the narrator is Shiraga Oni?)

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Danakir posted:

Yeah all I’m getting is that Honkai 3rd players are going insane with hype about keywords like herscherrs and keys + that the trailer guy is some dude named Kevin. I’m sure it has a lot of deep lore, it just all went over my head. Pretty visual art style tho, and fortunately I got all my hype from the tango short.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i like the part about the swords

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I'll just ask Welt what the deal is with Acheron

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Danakir posted:

Genuinely, how did you get that from the trailer?

(Also doesn't the description say the narrator is Shiraga Oni?)

"We long since strode into THEIR shadow" Their being IX's. As well on the website they posted some lore about Self Annihilators.

And I know that voice, it's totally Kevin's.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
So then what we're supposed to take from this is that they were an entire civilization that were touched by IX's shadow and had the will and resolve to try to resist and fight back but were ultimately doomed in the face of the inevitability of Nihility?

Which I guess would imply Acheron is one of those rare Self-Annihilators that can postpone their own fading away indefinitely?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Danakir posted:

So then what we're supposed to take from this is that they were an entire civilization that were touched by IX's shadow and had the will and resolve to try to resist and fight back but were ultimately doomed in the face of the inevitability of Nihility?

Which I guess would imply Acheron is one of those rare Self-Annihilators that can postpone their own fading away indefinitely?

The Honkai stuff seems to be happening on top of them being caught in IX's shadow to me. I think the Cocoon of Finality/Will of the Honaki was an aeon, but I don't think it's the Nihility. So the Honkai problem masked the deeper issue of them being trapped by the Nihility, and they overcame Finality to finally see the real threat, far too late.

I think it's unlikely she can resist to that degree. It's just that they seek to destroy IX before they fade away from existence. Acheron's memory is already ruined by being touched by IX, and she is clearly losing her own memories and has Raiden Mei's in her head somehow. Honestly I wonder if this trailer even happened, or if she's just dealing with Mei's memories of the Elysian Realm.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
In a sense, I suppose that 'all your sacrifices and your struggles and your efforts and your spilled blood and sweat and tears were completely meaningless, the end was always going to be inevitable and preordained both for you and the monsters' is a very Nihility kind of story.

Thanks, at least now I'm slightly less confused. I guess there's still some ambiguity then as to which Aeon has granted Acheron access to their Path as an Emanator.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The final blade was Naught, ie: Nothing, ie: Nihility. Every other blade broke leaving only the blade of Nihility, thus they became the end they had tried to stop.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Danakir posted:

In a sense, I suppose that 'all your sacrifices and your struggles and your efforts and your spilled blood and sweat and tears were completely meaningless, the end was always going to be inevitable and preordained both for you and the monsters' is a very Nihility kind of story.

Thanks, at least now I'm slightly less confused. I guess there's still some ambiguity then as to which Aeon has granted Acheron access to their Path as an Emanator.

It's IX. She was touched by them and survived. She's marked for a fate worse than death as she will eventually fade from existence, with no one even remembering that she was ever born. "Self-Annihilator" are a group of people who accidentally step into the shadow of "Nihility" of IX, losing the meaning of existence. They are a contradiction that way, touched by Nihility but seeking to destroy it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Confusingly, in Chinese and only Chinese, the name of one of the swords ("Mist" in English) is the same as Lan, the name of The Hunt. I don't know what to do with this information.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Eimi posted:

It's IX. She was touched by them and survived. She's marked for a fate worse than death as she will eventually fade from existence, with no one even remembering that she was ever born. "Self-Annihilator" are a group of people who accidentally step into the shadow of "Nihility" of IX, losing the meaning of existence. They are a contradiction that way, touched by Nihility but seeking to destroy it.

Specifically the reason why I was pondering that is that I can't imagine who else the quote "As for the few who can single-handedly withstand the encroachment of Nihility on their existences, their journey of self-annihilation is drawn out to infinity, and the road they walk is like a shadow of XI cast into the world." could be talking about. But the fact she's been losing her memories probably means that's not the intended reading, but if so I wonder who that could be talking about.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Swords.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

heck yea swords

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i like the part about the swords

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

12 Sentinels sure does feel like the bad ending for the Flame Chasers especially since the narrator voice in Japanese is Kevin

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Should have copied the Japanese names like the Korean version does. What kind of pervert names a sick katana in English?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I'll just ask Welt what the deal is with Acheron

What is this, Mr. Yang?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Swords n' Lesbians

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Eimi posted:

The Honkai stuff seems to be happening on top of them being caught in IX's shadow to me. I think the Cocoon of Finality/Will of the Honaki was an aeon, but I don't think it's the Nihility. So the Honkai problem masked the deeper issue of them being trapped by the Nihility, and they overcame Finality to finally see the real threat, far too late.

I think it's unlikely she can resist to that degree. It's just that they seek to destroy IX before they fade away from existence. Acheron's memory is already ruined by being touched by IX, and she is clearly losing her own memories and has Raiden Mei's in her head somehow. Honestly I wonder if this trailer even happened, or if she's just dealing with Mei's memories of the Elysian Realm.

I mean, Herrschers aren't supposed to repeat in different worlds and Samara normally, right? That's a thing that specifically happened because PE hosed with the Coccoon to make it more predictable?

I still lean towards "there is no loving way they're taking Mei and Kiana's happy ending or directly importing such a major character," but that exact parallel is definitely setting up something.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Danakir posted:

I've not played HI3, but I don't think you need to know the parallels to that game to follow it

Acheron's home world is a set of twin planets orbiting a black hole, Izumo and Takamagahara. Demons descended from the latter to attack Izumo, and in response Izumo sacrificed countless lives to forge 12 swords with special powers

At this point there's some parallels to Aeons and Emanators here as the swords are all named after different concepts and ideals - Thought, Flame, Sky etc

Although Izumo found victory at first with these blades, they were still eventually overrun, all the swords were defeated, and reforged leaving them with just two bearers, embodying Origin (Acheron) and End. This latter also became a demon, and so Acheron had to defeat her too. After defeating the last demon, Acheron realises Izumo has lost everything, and becomes an Emanator of Nihility.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If pulling for Acheron is a sin, then I’ll gladly become a sinner.

Not So Fast posted:

I've not played HI3, but I don't think you need to know the parallels to that game to follow it

Acheron's home world is a set of twin planets orbiting a black hole, Izumo and Takamagahara. Demons descended from the latter to attack Izumo, and in response Izumo sacrificed countless lives to forge 12 swords with special powers

At this point there's some parallels to Aeons and Emanators here as the swords are all named after different concepts and ideals - Thought, Flame, Sky etc

Although Izumo found victory at first with these blades, they were still eventually overrun, all the swords were defeated, and reforged leaving them with just two bearers, embodying Origin (Acheron) and End. This latter also became a demon, and so Acheron had to defeat her too. After defeating the last demon, Acheron realises Izumo has lost everything, and becomes an Emanator of Nihility.

Agreed. All playing Honkai Impact 3rd will do for you is letting you recognize the same things happened on Izumo as it did on Earth. Everything is understandable just from the context of Star Rail alone and I feel like there's way too many people in this thread whose brain immediately shuts down when they learn something is a reference to Honkai Impact 3rd and refuse to engage with the text further, even when it's entirely understandable without any of that context. You see the same thing happen in the Genshin thread too, people complaining about the lore that is perfectly understandable by itself in Genshin, but gets a bit of added "aha" moments if you've played Honkai Impact 3rd.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrP-4KS9CJo

This video goes into the lore if you're still confused, and does it without bringing up HI3 until the very end (only to note the differences between them).

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 22, 2024

Non-sapient
Aug 8, 2007
Dr Ratio just carried me to my first 36-star MoC! I can't believe they gave him out for free. Definitely considering getting his LC when he reruns.
Chalk/10 character.

As a newish player the next patch looks stacked with great banners. I hope Robin and Boothill end up bad because I am ending 2.1 with no tickets in the bank aren't I?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Yanquin over here sweating.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Non-sapient posted:

Dr Ratio just carried me to my first 36-star MoC! I can't believe they gave him out for free. Definitely considering getting his LC when he reruns.
Chalk/10 character.

As a newish player the next patch looks stacked with great banners. I hope Robin and Boothill end up bad because I am ending 2.1 with no tickets in the bank aren't I?

There is pretty much something for everyone in 2.1

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Captain France posted:

I mean, Herrschers aren't supposed to repeat in different worlds and Samara normally, right? That's a thing that specifically happened because PE hosed with the Coccoon to make it more predictable?

I still lean towards "there is no loving way they're taking Mei and Kiana's happy ending or directly importing such a major character," but that exact parallel is definitely setting up something.

Correct they are supposed to be unique and reflect what the Will of the Honkai thought was needed. However after Kiana and Mei defeat the Will in all realities in GGZ, that leaves an opening for Dr. MEI to have Prometheus act like the Will to ensure the same order of herrschers for the current era to have a more predictable threat to fight against.

I want it because I'm at heart the same dumb edgy angsty teen I was at 13. :v: There's also all the edgy stuff Mei's stigma says to her before she becomes the Herrscher of Thunder that was entirely dropped as she goes on a brief adventure in the Elysian Realm.

quote:

"You will leave everything behind. You will lose friends and family. Mistrust and suspicion will hound you. You will be further down this lonely path. You will leave her for all eternity. You will no longer be by her side, nor see her smile, nor take her hand. There is no turning back once you step on this path."

And I love a good delayed curse.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

2.1 is all sustain for me. Feels kind of weird.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Even without reading the spoilers there are a bunch of terms in all that stuff that make absolutely zero sense where I am in the game lol.

So far all I've been told is that there is a big rock dude representing preservation or something who's building a space wall, a big ice dude representing knowledge who stares at you, a weird floating jester mask dude representing.... something... who wants to kill me, and the game is suggesting that the MC is one of them embodying the concept of "trailblaze", whatever the hell that means.

Also I really like that my Ultimate is just "beating you down with a Space-Baseball-Bat".

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Annath posted:

Even without reading the spoilers there are a bunch of terms in all that stuff that make absolutely zero sense where I am in the game lol.

Everyone in this thread who hasn't played hi3 has no clue what they are talking about either. I'm starting to think half of it is just made up and it's some kind of advanced trolling.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Everyone in this thread who hasn't played hi3 has no clue what they are talking about either. I'm starting to think half of it is just made up and it's some kind of advanced trolling.

I'm just going to continue collecting waifus cool characters and beating down monsters with my Spaceball Bat.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The first time I watched it I also kinda glazed over it, mainly due to the 12 swords stuff, but all of that is basically just window dressing/HI3 fanservice. If you look past that her backstory is pretty simple: she came from a planet called Izumo, there was a war that she was the sole survivor of, and after that she was touched by an Aeon and became an emanator - most likely of IX/Nihility, based on the visuals.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I'm real unclear on how death in dreamland maps to death irl, which im guessing is intentional. Like, maybe she can't come back to dreamland now which sucks due to the disease? But Robin being dead seems pretty permanent? Robin didn't dissolve into water so maybe she got killed in her dream bed? so many questions

Firefly is real good though

If I recall correctly, Black Swan said that the dream Penacony you are in normally is a "safe" version of it and not the real Dreamscape. The real one works differently and is more dangerous, and is the area that has the anomaly. I can't remember exactly what the quest was called when it's discussed, else I would have reviewed the script to say for certain.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

blizzardvizard posted:

The first time I watched it I also kinda glazed over it, mainly due to the 12 swords stuff, but all of that is basically just window dressing/HI3 fanservice. If you look past that her backstory is pretty simple: she came from a planet called Izumo, there was a war that she was the sole survivor of, and after that she was touched by an Aeon and became an emanator - most likely of IX/Nihility, based on the visuals.

If anything the HI3 references serve to make the actual Star Rail references more impactful in the video if you are familiar with both games. It is essentially going "hey, do you see where we're going with this do you remember this epic tale that was so important in HI3 well guess what thanks to IX it's all rendered pointless in the end anyway". This is reinforcing on a wider scale what Black Swan was experiencing on a smaller one last video - getting too close to The Nihlity is very, very bad.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I have very little clue what's happening in the lore chat, but it's neat to listen to. Still love that Welt literally surfed a black hole into this universe.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

blizzardvizard posted:

I get the idea of the video-- there was a world with a rich history and people's struggles, but in the end it was all lost due to the Nihility. But there's something about the presentation where it just doesn't click with me emotionally, so I don't get a whole lot out of it. That's fine though, it's not a big deal if I don't love every video (the previous animated short on the other hand was fantastic).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I just got an email saying there's going to be an anniversary event that will send out 20 Special Passes and 1600 Stellar Jade on 4/26... Will the new banner still be going on at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Genovera posted:

I get the idea of the video-- there was a world with a rich history and people's struggles, but in the end it was all lost due to the Nihility. But there's something about the presentation where it just doesn't click with me emotionally, so I don't get a whole lot out of it. That's fine though, it's not a big deal if I don't love every video (the previous animated short on the other hand was fantastic).

Yeah I think it's actually fair to say that the trailer leaned a little bit too hard on the HI3 fanservice. The trailer showed a brand new planet and then immediately did a big lore dump about 12 swords with different powers that ultimately aren't relevant to the conclusion, so it did kinda feel like it's more interested in referencing HI3 than being a proper introduction to Izumo or telling Acheron's personal story. It got to that later, but at that point it may already have lost people.

Maybe if IX themselves was shown at the start as this sort of looming dramatic irony over Acheron's narration of her planet's pointless struggle, it could've clicked better with people that's only familiar with HSR since there's something you could immediately latch on to.