Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jabro posted:

Touch Arcade put out a review that it gets around 10fps no matter what you do. I’m holding off getting it until hopefully there is some optimizations or it goes on sale on PS5. Sucks because this is the perfect SD game.

drat. I was lookin' forward to that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s weird because the first part of the game you are in a cave and it can’t even break 10fps. If you look right down at the ground you’ll get 15 but something else is going on there because there’s like nothing going on that should cause that much of an issue.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

if players of GTA V, Elden Ring, and Control all report getting 30+ fps then theres no reason for a game to be 10 fps on the deck other than "developer incompetence"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

those are all old-rear end ps4 games

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

MarcusSA posted:

It’s weird because the first part of the game you are in a cave and it can’t even break 10fps. If you look right down at the ground you’ll get 15 but something else is going on there because there’s like nothing going on that should cause that much of an issue.

Doesn't that not matter when the game is CPU bound? All these comparisons are to GPU and graphics bottlenecks, and that's not where DD2 suffers.

That's not to say it should be as CPU-intensive as it is, just that I don't think the issues have anything to do with graphical fidelity.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Quantum of Phallus posted:

those are all old-rear end ps4 games

They're all games that look pretty loving great, and if i turn the graphcs selector to "low/minimum", then performance should be within the same category as them.

Like, I have friends in industry, I am a programmer who has studied this poo poo (a while ago! but still!), we know more about optimizing and there are more techniques for optimizing rendering than there were at the time those games were released, so at minimum your game should perform in the same ballpark when I stick poo poo to "low".

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 22, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's cpu limited

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want to load my X4 save on Steam Deck just to hear the cpu shriek

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

alexandriao posted:

if players of GTA V, Elden Ring, and Control all report getting 30+ fps then theres no reason for a game to be 10 fps on the deck other than "developer incompetence"

or “different goals”

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it's cpu limited

Yeah, the game's minimum specs are for 6-core Zen 2 CPUs and the Deck's only got 4. Not everything is going to run as everyone releases games designed around 8-core CPU consoles.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
two things can be true at the same time:

* dragon's dogma 2 kinda runs like rear end on every platform and is not a particularly well optimized game and it's not shocking it is unplayable on Deck

* even after performance improvements that bring it up to satisfactory performance on modern desktop PCs and consoles, it very likely will still be unplayable on Deck, because it's a game built with modern consoles and PCs in mind, and there may be no way to have it ever run on what is basically a base-model PS4

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

going forward we will see a ton of new AAA games that will not run well on Steam Deck. the long tail of the base PS4 and the Xbox One was a huge boon to Deck gamers because it meant that all new releases had a low-power target that they could adapt to the Deck, but that's clearly no longer true. Final Fantasy 7 Remake was awesome on the Deck; I expect Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth will never run at 30fps on the current Steam Deck. I also expect there will be a new Steam Deck in the next few years that will bring up the power a bit and maybe it'll be at, I dunno, Series S level or something, but until then I would not expect any AAA game to run well on a Deck by default

people love to complain about how new consoles just mean new graphics and that developers don't take advantage of hardware power to change how their games are designed. well, guess what: when devs design a game with that hardware power in mind, you're not gonna be able to just simply Turn Down The Graphics until it runs fine on your toaster

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Horizon forbidden west runs pretty good all in all.

Also Siri wanted to auto complete the name of that game.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

alexandriao posted:

Like, I have friends in industry, I am a programmer who has studied this poo poo (a while ago! but still!), we know more about optimizing and there are more techniques for optimizing rendering than there were at the time those games were released, so at minimum your game should perform in the same ballpark when I stick poo poo to "low".

also this take is hilarious because of the implication that because of advancements in graphics technology, i should be able to run new games just fine on old hardware

it is only because cd projekt red are lazy devs that cyberpunk 2077 can't be run on my playstation 2

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

abraham linksys posted:

also this take is hilarious because of the implication that because of advancements in graphics technology, i should be able to run new games just fine on old hardware

it is only because cd projekt red are lazy devs that cyberpunk 2077 can't be run on my playstation 2

Actually you framing everything in playstations is the hilarous part

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think we should judge more games based on the Playstation it could run on.

MarcusSA posted:

Horizon forbidden west runs pretty good all in all.

Also Siri wanted to auto complete the name of that game.

This makes sense given it got a PS4 version that ran basically the same as Zero Dawn did.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Vic posted:

Actually you framing everything in playstations is the hilarous part

ok, pretend i said "it's hosed up that i can't run elden ring on my sega saturn, from software should have used newly-discovered optimization techniques to unlock the power of the genius eight-processor design"

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

njsykora posted:

I think we should judge more games based on the Playstation it could run on.

Only console with a reasonable naming scheme, to be fair.

I'm curious if 6800u/7840u devices actually see a benefit in any of these CPU-bound games, given they've got 8 cores, or if the TDP is too big of a limit.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I heard Dragons Dogma 2 uses micro transactions for fast travel. Yikes.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

abraham linksys posted:

Woosh

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Rolo posted:

There's DLC for a bunch of items that are also obtainable in-game. It's just pay to win stuff for a single player game. Weird but kinda harmless

The performance issues and Denuvo are legitimate complaints though

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rolo posted:

You makin' that up or just tryin' to make me feel better about not being able to run it on Deck?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

ok, pretend i said "it's hosed up that i can't run elden ring on my sega saturn, from software should have used newly-discovered optimization techniques to unlock the power of the genius eight-processor design"

Yeah still makes zero sense. Check this out:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don’t get why PC gamers think it’s weird that someone would use a PlayStation or Xbox generation as a point of comparison for graphics and performance. People generally know what you mean if you say “looks like a PS3” game. It’s not obtuse.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vic posted:

These are all the same picture.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t get why PC gamers think it’s weird that someone would use a PlayStation or Xbox generation as a point of comparison for graphics and performance. People generally know what you mean if you say “looks like a PS3” game. It’s not obtuse.

Not weird or obtuse it's just that the person you mocked was talking about a real and current thing and no it's not like trying to play cyberpunk 2077 on ps2.

The technological leap between the first two playstations and last two playstations is incomparable.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

These are all the same picture.

lmao, true

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vic posted:

:actually:, that top picture is from either Super Mario Maker (2015) or Super Mario Maker 2 (2019).

See, if you look at the shadows.... /:goonsay:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:actually:, that top picture is from either Super Mario Maker (2015) or Super Mario Maker 2 (2019).

See, if you look at the shadows.... /:goonsay:

Lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Get his rear end

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
finally decided to try out sunshine+moonlight since people told me it's the exact same thing as nvidia gamestream but it looks awful

like it really looks like i'm trying to stream a 240p youtube video from 15 years ago. i never had this problem with gamestream (but i did with other streaming options) which is why i was using gamestream in the first place. anyone got a clue, or a clue of where to go find help?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

finally decided to try out sunshine+moonlight since people told me it's the exact same thing as nvidia gamestream but it looks awful

like it really looks like i'm trying to stream a 240p youtube video from 15 years ago. i never had this problem with gamestream (but i did with other streaming options) which is why i was using gamestream in the first place. anyone got a clue, or a clue of where to go find help?

Probably something to do with the bit rate you are streaming at

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Probably something to do with the bit rate you are streaming at

i'm just using out of the box settings, but even looking at the various options they are painfully unhelpful

why can't there be a "just make this work like gamestream did" button

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rolo posted:

Fast travel works exactly the same as it did in DD1 - a limited number of crystals you can place and move.

The paid item is a single additional crystal, and can only be purchased once.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Not sure if this is all stuff you know already, but:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/19ahzxq/youre_streaming_your_games_wrong_let_me_show_you/

Edit: I'd also recommend setting up a VPN instead of enabling uPnP/port forwarding on your router if you want remote streaming.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 22, 2024

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i care nothing about remote streaming thankfully, i just want to play my dang ol video games in my dang ol bed :corsair:

e: but like, this is what it looks like even when i set it to P7

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 22, 2024

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Annath posted:

Fast travel works exactly the same as it did in DD1 - a limited number of crystals you can place and move.

The paid item is a single additional crystal, and can only be purchased once.

This is so insanely dumb I love it

A lot of people who cried about horse armor are moving the goal post at insane speed

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

It looks like your connection isn't very good. If your PC is connected to your home network via ethernet then something's off about your wifi.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Your Computer posted:

Are you outputting to a bigger screen? Have a look in Steam's properties for the Moonlight app, the resolution might be set to default which will cap the output to 1280x800 regardless of the other settings. Change to it to native and it'll properly show the stream output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

Are you outputting to a bigger screen? Have a look in Steam's properties for the Moonlight app, the resolution might be set to default which will cap the output to 1280x800 regardless of the other settings. Change to it to native and it'll properly show the stream output.

it's the other way around - i'm outputting from my pc (at 1920x1080) to my steam deck (1280x800)

AfricanBootyShine posted:

It looks like your connection isn't very good. If your PC is connected to your home network via ethernet then something's off about your wifi.

will it change the bitrate on the fly like that in spite of all the settings? so far none of the settings i've tried have done anything, including trying to force it to use nvenc

i'm on the same internet as i was previously (in the same apartment building) but i'm in a new apartment and haven't gotten around to getting a long enough ethernet cable for my pc yet. the building was made without wired internet and we got fiber years later but it's in the hallway so the only cable solution is to just drag like a 20 foot cable across the floor :shepface:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 22, 2024