Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

maybe save all the individual posts up and combine them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Is there such a thing as a "thread mascot"?

Splicer posted:

Tree Bucket literally anything rat related you draw of this comic I will incorporate into my avatar for at least one month :toxx: and pinkyswear

Note: I am about 10 pages behind on the thread.

You may have cause to regret this later

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I'm catching up on three weeks of a weird little rat guy who keeps saying "super splicer serum". This comic is made for me and you're going to get every durr durr durr in real time until I flop out the other side.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

(Strong Bad voice) And best of luck to you.

This is one of the best panels I've ever drawn.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

Seems bad

Souboutei Must Be Destroyed: 29 (+1)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm so very sorry

That's all I can think of, I'm on board with this new villain in everything except his name.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm so very sorry

That's all I can think of, I'm on board with this new villain in everything except his name.

:eyepoop:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Umber Jack

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah I guess the natural thing is for Jack's second antagonist to be someone claiming adjacent ideals to his, also with a tech-enhanced costume gimmick, but evil.

But I gotta say, targeting the least-relevant political candidate and the hard-nosed reporter, don't really seem to line up with tearing down calcified power structures.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Mar 22, 2024

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Ditocoaf posted:

But I gotta say, targeting the least-relevant political candidate and the hard-nosed reporter, don't really seem to line up with tearing down calcified power structures.

Given their musical gimmick I imagine they're starting small then rising to a crescendo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Given their musical gimmick I imagine they're starting small then rising to a crescendo.

Yeah, that was my assumption based on how they're going on in the second set of panels.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 65: Kanto Survivor

I didn't know Soji was capable of making that kind of face.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 33: The Idol, the Image and Novelty

That's a neat trick.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fritz Jürgensen

—Good God, have you been bruised?

Rundetårn is ~35 meters tall

Presence of Mind:
—All battalion... halt!

(e: is imgu being weird right now for anyone else?)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Mar 22, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

omglmao

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

ahahahaa Friendliacci

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

(e: is imgu being weird right now for anyone else?)

It's ok here, just sporadically slow to load like it is sometimes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's ok here, just sporadically slow to load like it is sometimes.

i got like immediate, no timeout "server not responding" but then it came back after a while. weird.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

drat, this got me. Masterful.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not at all invested in Evil Jack With Sound Powers and think it's a huge step back from the Capitalist Porters, which had me hooked pretty early on. I have complete faith I'll come around eventually, though.

now, Brown Note, there's a villain with immediate appeal

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
With the big red circular eyes, my original theory was that it was Gall in disguise, what with his round glasses

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the black note is cool and i liked this arc a ton. i think its a villain that gets to be threatening in a pretty different way from the first acts conspiracy/tarzan

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

A Weekend at the Atwood

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I also am on board for The Black Note but a lot of that so far is that I like his very Mignola-esque design.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I tried writing a recap for volume 6 of Hyouge Mono but to honest, I'm just not feeling it. This volume has been less about the political machinations and more about the character beats - Sasuke's fumbled shot at the top, Rikyu's change of heart re: the benefits of murder for advancing the arts, their reconciliation, and so on - and rewriting that stuff just felt like a disservice to it.

Should I give it a crack anyway? How are people feeling?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Emzedoh posted:

I tried writing a recap for volume 6 of Hyouge Mono but to honest, I'm just not feeling it. This volume has been less about the political machinations and more about the character beats - Sasuke's fumbled shot at the top, Rikyu's change of heart re: the benefits of murder for advancing the arts, their reconciliation, and so on - and rewriting that stuff just felt like a disservice to it.

I'm really enjoying the comic and I agree that a recap of the last volume doesn't feel super necessary for the reasons you mentioned. It was a lot of character stuff and focused on a smaller group of characters at that. The opening of this latest volume even features a nice refresher of the political situation with the battle plan for the war they're marching into so I feel pretty caught up on that aspect as well just from the context given in the manga itself.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

I also am on board for The Black Note but a lot of that so far is that I like his very Mignola-esque design.

Oh, duh - I like it a lot too, I knew it reminded me of something but I just couldn't think of it for some reason.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Rainbow In The Dark

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Splicer posted:

Tree Bucket literally anything rat related you draw of this comic I will incorporate into my avatar for at least one month :toxx: and pinkyswear

I had a shot at A Squeakend At The Ratwood

e: also PREPARE YOURSELF for the next big plot twist in Angel Birdcat!!

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Mar 23, 2024

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Technocrat posted:

With the big red circular eyes, my original theory was that it was Gall in disguise, what with his round glasses

:allears:

don't read ahead, I want to savor this.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Emzedoh posted:

As one of the people who needed a recap last time, this arc has been a lot easier to keep everything straight in! I don't think you need to force one, I personally don't feel lost at all.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Tree Bucket posted:

I had a shot at A Squeakend At The Ratwood

e: also PREPARE YOURSELF for the next big plot twist in Angel Birdcat!!

You are the best and no mistake.
:stwoon:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ah! I missed that second picture, it's genius.

re: Hyouge Mono recap, message received. I'll save recaps for when the politics gets sticky.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Kit Walker posted:

Thanks for posting it! Do Game Club next, lol

And, yeah, that was essentially my read on it. Kraunessa was black sludge + human nature. Mito's mom was stripped of human nature and turned into a pitcher. So Kraunessa gave her that human nature, which restored Mito's mom at the cost of turning herself back into black sludge. It's a bittersweet ending but it does prove Rene/Kraunessa's master right in that you can make something good out of something unpleasant. Kraunessa's sense of justice was all the more valuable because it's contrary to what she's made of, and in the end she lived up to being that white knight because of her own will, and not because of anything anyone told her to do
I think Master was wrong to play god by creating Kraunessa, but sludgegirl really did save Ms Rimon when no one else could have. I do have to wonder where K's human nature originally came from - did Master slice a little off of herself, from her classmates? Is it something that recovers with time?

I might post Sausage Cosplayer as a light refresher! I do really like Game Story, but the first few chapters have the vibe of a blog about game design.

Emzedoh posted:

Thanks for posting Sludge Knight, Squidster! A bit of a melancholy ending, but I guess that was going to happen.
This is kind of a theme with Imitation Crystal, lol. She's an author with an introspection addiction and deep-rooted sadbrains. I feel like Sludge Knight is one of her more hopeful works, honestly!

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Oh, sludge knight is over already? I was just starting to get into it and excited to see Sludge girl start getting some W's :(
I hope that Kraunessa can slowly regrow her human nature and rejoin her friends someday. She deserves a little happiness.

RIP to a real (fake) one.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Squidster posted:

I think Master was wrong to play god by creating Kraunessa, but sludgegirl really did save Ms Rimon when no one else could have. I do have to wonder where K's human nature originally came from - did Master slice a little off of herself, from her classmates? Is it something that recovers with time?

I might post Sausage Cosplayer as a light refresher! I do really like Game Story, but the first few chapters have the vibe of a blog about game design.

This is kind of a theme with Imitation Crystal, lol. She's an author with an introspection addiction and deep-rooted sadbrains. I feel like Sludge Knight is one of her more hopeful works, honestly!

I hope that Kraunessa can slowly regrow her human nature and rejoin her friends someday. She deserves a little happiness.

It does get mentioned that Mito's mom would recover her human nature in a few years anyway. Kraunessa's sacrifice just sped up that process. But with that in mind it does imply that if the black sludge still had any trace of human nature that Kraunessa might also recover eventually. Or maybe she won't because her natural state is black sludge. In any case, it's open ended and I do like that possibility

As for Ms Rimon, that's also really up for debate. Is it better to live with a happy lie than a bitter truth? I think the way things played out was maybe for the best, because at least now Ms Rimon can pursue happiness for real instead of just living a delusion. But can she overcome what drove her to delusion in the first place? Guess we just have to hope for the best

And I'm not familiar with Sausage Cosplayer, so that should be cool. I actually liked Game Club's whole "just rambling a bunch about video game design thing." It was fun how it would go from talking about level design or whatever to some deep philosophical discussion seamlessly. Still, it is one of the longer works and would be a pretty big commitment so I'm only half-joking with that suggestion

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

disagree,only because the extra posts make there be less images on a page

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Kit Walker posted:

As for Ms Rimon, that's also really up for debate. Is it better to live with a happy lie than a bitter truth? I think the way things played out was maybe for the best, because at least now Ms Rimon can pursue happiness for real instead of just living a delusion. But can she overcome what drove her to delusion in the first place? Guess we just have to hope for the best
I think if the happy lie had been sustainable, Kraunessa and co would have moved heaven and earth to maintain it. The sane Ms Rimon was ground down by a cruel reality, and even the insane Ms Rimon was on the road to being evicted and helpless. There was an increasingly maniac edge to her happiness, I think.

If the comic has a theme, I think it's about expressions of rebellion. The Young Mistress was indoctrinated to be a stereotypical good girl, and violently rebelled by becoming a cartoon villain. But behind her insecurity, she still has a pragmatic kindness to her that she's terrified to show. Mito was raised as a thesis statement instead of a daughter, and literally objectified the person who refused to recognize her own humanity. Gomorrah endures a miserable home life, and is angrily counting the seconds until she can escape. She seems like the kind of person with a bugout bag and a secret savings account her parents don't know about. Ms Rimon's rebellion was doomed because it rejected reality entirely, and reality always wins.

I think K's rescue of Ms Rimon showed her a new path; K acknowledged her own deep inadequacy to life's challenges, her almost certain failure, but still felt compelled to help anyway. K briefly reconciled the two halves of her nature, the overwhelmed child and the immortal tar, and was able to perform a miracle. I hope Ms Rimon can synthesize her sane and insane nature, and find a miracle of her own. I don't think she'll ever be a teacher, but I think she'd make a good counsellor.

quote:

And I'm not familiar with Sausage Cosplayer, so that should be cool. I actually liked Game Club's whole "just rambling a bunch about video game design thing." It was fun how it would go from talking about level design or whatever to some deep philosophical discussion seamlessly. Still, it is one of the longer works and would be a pretty big commitment so I'm only half-joking with that suggestion
Sausage Cosplayer is a pair of Fallout-inspired shorts she did for an anthology! They're just cute and silly.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 36: Bran-kawa

To be continued!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master