Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Question about chapter 12, if I do the golden saucer date thing, am I railroaded into the next chapter or can I still do open world? All I know is chapter 13 onward you're stuck till the end of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
GS is a soft point of no return in that it only affects a specific character availability. It doesn't lock off fast travel or quest completion.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

Question about chapter 12, if I do the golden saucer date thing, am I railroaded into the next chapter or can I still do open world? All I know is chapter 13 onward you're stuck till the end of the game

You will still be able to open world at the start of chapter 13. The hard point of no return is pretty obvious so you won't miss it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You will be missing one character for anything after the saucer date though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Instant Grat posted:

I just put a sleep materia on someone (Barret? He builds ATB quick, it was probably Barret), slept the little guys, and then went all-in on the Mindflayer, refreshing Sleep whenever the little ones woke up. Took one attempt and wasn't particularly close :shrug:

Pretty sure the AI won't target sleeping targets, presumably to avoid waking them up.

I couldn’t be the only one who unintentionally shot the little guys as Barrett when the Mindflayer teleported, right? That annoyed me. I’ll try it again when I have stop and give him a Marlboro Orb or something.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Didn't sleep on the Sleep spell. It doesn't always stop your party from attacking things but it usually does. Also a decent number of bosses are not immune and you can use it to interrupt annoying attacks.

bewilderment posted:

Aside: Chapter 12 boss:
I was totally ready to make fun of complainers but nah that kinda sucked because the timings for when he Reloads are totally non-obvious, there's not an intuitive sense of how many 'shots' he has. My real winning strategy was building up enough ATB and letting Bahamut Arisen time him out to the next phase. I could occasionally get the Braver off but he felt way too inconsistent. Not a fun fight!

Item Economizer went a long way in that fight, since it let me whip out those gigapotions I hadn't been using without eating all my ATB. I did have to redo it once because I got wrecked in phase 2. On my second go I just held onto my LB, and as soon as phase two started I used it on Darkstar. That, a Focused Thrust to stagger, and a Braver more or less got rid of him and just left a half dead Rufus with most of his own stagger bar filled.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And that's the game done, just shy of 100 hours which is kind of insane. Anyway goty probably, just had a fantastic time with this one. Its a game of excess and self-indulgence and that leads to a lot of wasted time at some points or things that just don't feel like they needed to be here (a bunch of minigames aren't too good) but aspects of that same self-indulgence lead to fantastic bits. Like, an FF7 remake does not need to focus on Aerith and Tifa's friendship but this game spends a huge amount of time on it and it's one of my fav parts of the game, same with exploring like a bunch of character parallels with Barret and Yuffie which isn't an obvious move either and just in general the party and even any half recognisable npc gets so much love. And outside of the characters its a game with 3 separate musical numbers, a couple high quality game long side plots that completely disconnected from the main story and 1 million music tracks. 50% of which are the best dang track in the game until you get the next one.

It ain't a perfect game, there's a couple angles it takes on things that I really disliked, World Intel can be kind of a chore at times, there were 2 or 3 minigames that took me like an hour to do and were not fun at all (compared to the other 2 or 3 that took an hour which I mostly enjoyed(, the final chapter kinda just comes really suddenly and feels almost anticlimactic and predictably some iconic FF7 moments that are central to the memory of FF7 get turned from 'just scenes in a videogame' to big events that almost end up devaluing the thing they're pushing so hard. But for about 85 hours of this 100 hour game I was having an absolute blast. Best gameplay in a final fantasy, the best FF party (now better than ever) and just a really silly and fun adaption of a really silly and fun game.

Can't wait for Part 3.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway hot take, but pre-release leaks there were so much talk about the gold saucer date scenes but they mostly seemed way more underwhelming than the equivalent moments in Remake part 1.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

CPFortest posted:

GS is a soft point of no return in that it only affects a specific character availability. It doesn't lock off fast travel or quest completion.

I'm gonna spoiler this despite the fact that I'm not at this bit yet but it's cait sith yeah? i mean I love the weird curveballs and deviations we've gotten so far but i sort of assume a lot of non cloud related stuff is going to be played very straight to the ff7 playbook

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm gonna spoiler this despite the fact that I'm not at this bit yet but it's cait sith yeah? i mean I love the weird curveballs and deviations we've gotten so far but i sort of assume a lot of non cloud related stuff is going to be played very straight to the ff7 playbook
FF7R2 can be best understood as a cover song of the corresponding section of the OG FF7; there are differences significant and not, but the song is the song, and the structure is likewise largely the same. You're correct.

Unrelated: For the people who aren't enjoying swapping between 3 characters, you can significantly reduce the mechanical complexity of the game by loading up Red XIII with a lot of passive stat up materia and the prerequisite Steadfast Block and Precision Defense Focus materia he would be running anyway, and then just treating him like a battery for free healing with Watcher's Respite and for free Limit by siphoning his gauge away. Because the AI defaults to blocking everything anyway, Red XIII will have a full Vengeance Gauge very frequently, and because Watcher's Respite requires only one ATB and doesn't cost MP, this is effective even on Hard difficulty. If you run a team of Cloud/Red XIII/Aerith, you can toggle between Cloud and Aerith and mostly ignore Red XIII as a consequence. The team's Synergy Abilities also make it so that Cloud can hit Limit Level 3 and/or Refocus both party members, which obviates the need to run the Expeditionary Medal and thus frees up an accessory slot so he can increase his throughput. Switching between a melee and ranged party member also has the practical effect of making the enemy work harder as they try to run around between them.

There are obviously a lot of strategic solutions to basically every enemy encounter and trial in the game, but if you're looking to make it as easy as possible, that party made my life significantly better as I went through Hard.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Trip Hazard posted:

Looking forward to hating Gongaga for myself when I get there 😁

Edit: apropos of nothing, the South American sounding, pan-pipey music that plays at the end of the Condor sidequest is extremely good. Gives me Ixa'Taka vibes

Double edit: Or The Lonely Shepherd from Kill Bill

That music is extra cool because it's definitely influenced by El Condor Pasa, an old Peruvian song that a lot of people know from the Simon and Garfunkel cover. A neat little thing hidden in a tiny piece of music that most people will probably barely even notice.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

This is what the final few hours feel like

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There are so many cool skill combos in this game that result in tons of different strategies. I’ve seen 3 different Hard mode cheese strategies already

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I am never, ever, going to get tired of Radiant Ward making you Fuckin' Invincible! while charging up -aga spells, especially not when also stacked with an Arcane Ward. There's a reason I gave Aerith the damage uncapper.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

I am never, ever, going to get tired of Radiant Ward making you Fuckin' Invincible! while charging up -aga spells, especially not when also stacked with an Arcane Ward. There's a reason I gave Aerith the damage uncapper.

I really like that their response to Yuffie having an on-demand invincibility button was to go "Let's give everyone insane defensive options"

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

bewilderment posted:

Can't believe I got the Red XIII date instead of anyone else honestly.

Same. I was disappointed at first, but you can apparently view the other dates at leisure after beating the game. Or just catch them on YouTube like I did.

In hindsight, Red XIII’s “date” is probably the most interesting since he’s the only one who acknowledges the whispers and what his feelings of deja vu might portend. The others have nice character-building moments though. And speaking of characters, I absolutely love the main cast. There’s not a single character I dislike and they’re all pretty useful and fun to play as (although Aerith’s ATB charging rate could stand to be doubled or tripled).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The thing I found really weird about the dates is that literally every available companion makes a big deal about having these tickets to see the play and some particular reason for asking Cloud to go with them and then the entire party is there anyway.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Almost Smart posted:

Same. I was disappointed at first, but you can apparently view the other dates at leisure after beating the game. Or just catch them on YouTube like I did.

In hindsight, Red XIII’s “date” is probably the most interesting since he’s the only one who acknowledges the whispers and what his feelings of deja vu might portend. The others have nice character-building moments though. And speaking of characters, I absolutely love the main cast. There’s not a single character I dislike and they’re all pretty useful and fun to play as (although Aerith’s ATB charging rate could stand to be doubled or tripled).

I get why she got nerfed. If she had Cloud's ATB charge speed with Radiant Ward, she would be Death, destroyer of worlds. As it is now, she's merely incredibly strong with a massive skill ceiling for styling on people with ward timings, teleports, and huge elemental damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

The thing I found really weird about the dates is that literally every available companion makes a big deal about having these tickets to see the play and some particular reason for asking Cloud to go with them and then the entire party is there anyway.

Based off what happens if you have low affection with everyone, it's just a case of everyone getting tickets but the person you go on a date with coming to talk with Cloud first, since otherwise you get stuck hanging with the loser squad.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

what's the range on the corsair's compass? I crafted it and cruised around in the bronco for a bit but no indicators ever came up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

what's the range on the corsair's compass? I crafted it and cruised around in the bronco for a bit but no indicators ever came up

It's reasonably large, but I had to do a lot of sailing to find all of them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ImpAtom posted:

It's reasonably large, but I had to do a lot of sailing to find all of them.

How many treasures are there? And what's in them? If I don't need them for completion or whatever I might just skip it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

How many treasures are there? And what's in them?

I forget the exact amount but they are all Pirate's Jetsam and there is exactly enough to craft every item that requires it. They're just there to craft the highest-end gear.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IIRC they're all pirate jetsam, which is used to craft high-end accessories

edit; yep beaten

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ah ok, good to know. I already got a bunch of those just from cruising around to the coves but I assume I need them for the level 16 recipes since I have more than I need right now.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Wedge double fisting sandwiches in the truck on the way to an intense mission lol

I paused to post that and then next up we have the most absolute last second cut to not see him hit the ground :( rip wedge ilu

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 22, 2024

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

IcePhoenix posted:

Ah ok, good to know. I already got a bunch of those just from cruising around to the coves but I assume I need them for the level 16 recipes since I have more than I need right now.
You'll need a total of 18 for the final accessories, and you will get a big notification that says you found all the pirate jetsam once you've done it. I pathologically started filling in the Meridian Sea map once I could, and found them as a natural consequence of doing that, but I don't think too many are really what you'd call out of the way.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Wedge double fisting sandwiches in the truck on the way to an intense mission lol

I paused to post that and then next up we have the most absolute last second cut to not see him hit the ground :( rip wedge ilu

He died as he lived: full of sandwiches.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Wedge, biggs and Jessie were all such non characters to me in og and it's been so lovely just having them given new life like this

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The only real risk of missing jetsam is if you passed near one without collecting it during your initial trips to the four treasure coves, and just never revisit those parts of the map. So once you craft the compass, just redo your original travel plan if you want to be sure. You get a pop up message once you have found all of them. Note that the last few can't be obtained until chapter 13.

The actual hard part of crafting the accessories is the dark matter, which will require you to do the expert nodes of a lot of different mini games to collect.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IcePhoenix posted:

How many treasures are there? And what's in them? If I don't need them for completion or whatever I might just skip it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Wedge, biggs and Jessie were all such non characters to me in og and it's been so lovely just having them given new life like this

All of the character writing is really special but the incredible focus they give characters like that is something else.. I never would have expected a remake of a 90's RPG to hit so hard in the department but here we are. It's equal parts heartfelt and funny and walks that line just right.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I just got the rune blade in Junon. I’ve been using Cloud as primarily a physical attacker and this swords physical attack is poo poo. Is there something I’m missing with it or should I just learn the ability and ditch it?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Harrow posted:

You will still be able to open world at the start of chapter 13. The hard point of no return is pretty obvious so you won't miss it.

I'm at a part that's pretty unambiguously threatening me with not being able to return once I go. Will I be able to keep progress in things like the (protorelic) double summon fights if I decide to push on now? I kinda want to see the end of the story before I spend hours and hours figuring out tough bossfights.

I assume there's some kind of chapter select like there was in Remake.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

screw these Cosmo Canyon hippies. I’m with Barret and Yuffie on this one

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Books On Tape posted:

I just got the rune blade in Junon. I’ve been using Cloud as primarily a physical attacker and this swords physical attack is poo poo. Is there something I’m missing with it or should I just learn the ability and ditch it?

You can build Cloud to throw out big spells just fine. If you don't wanna do that just swap weapons.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I tried to measure it and I'm pretty sure it's 500m.

When looking for them, make sure you're in chapter 13 - there are at least 2 (maybe more, don't know what I collected before postgame) behind the blocked off area you can't enter in 12.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Books On Tape posted:

You can just learn the ability and switch back to a different weapon. It's basically just an option if you want to build a more magic-focused Cloud.

Though sometimes it's still worth using a weapon with less than ideal stats if it has better materia slots.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Teratrain posted:

I'm at a part that's pretty unambiguously threatening me with not being able to return once I go. Will I be able to keep progress in things like the (protorelic) double summon fights if I decide to push on now? I kinda want to see the end of the story before I spend hours and hours figuring out tough bossfights.

I assume there's some kind of chapter select like there was in Remake.

Yes, there's a chapter select just like Remake, with more options (like you can set whether you want side quests you've already done to be completed or not, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

It may fall of later but if I equip the +20 physical attack weapon ability the physical damage is comparable to the buster sword but you get an additional materia slot and better magic damage.