Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cancer, huh. Now I feel bad for all the speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Z the IVth posted:

NGL being rushed off in the middle of the night for emergency abdominal surgery for cancer and taking 3 months to recover sounds like exceptionally bad news. Even more so when you consider how young she is.

to be clear, they didn't find out it was cancer until after doing some blood tests.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/mar/22/princess-of-wales-cancer-unspecified-what-we-know-kate-middleton

quote:

In a personal message issued on Friday evening, Catherine said that when she underwent major abdominal surgery in January, “it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous”.

The surgery, which took place at theLondon Clinic, was successful. After 13 nights in hospital, the princess left the clinic on 29 January. “However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present,” she said on Friday.

Kensington Palace said it would not be sharing any further medical information about the form or stage of cancer that was discovered.

[...]

The Guardian understands that Catherine began a course of preventive chemotherapy in late February.

i imagine she hasn't been seen because chemo has made her look like poo poo and she very understandably would like privacy in the meanwhile - i don't think there's much to read into re prognosis here

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chuck Butt is still funny though so I'm going to focus on that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah. Unless she got rushed in for something else, conspiracy fans, and the cancer showed up on scans. But bowel cancer, for example, could have caused an intestinal blockage, which would need an ambulance and emergency surgery.

Yowch.

gently caress cancer.
I mean, that is the official story -- they did the surgery for something assumed to be noncancerous, then tested whatever they removed, and found cancer. Which is plausible, certainly; when I got my frigging appendix out they tested that for cancer just to be on the safe side.

But then again they've lied about everything else so far with absolutely pathological levels of dedication so who knows.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah. Unless she got rushed in for something else, conspiracy fans, and the cancer showed up on scans.

Would be truly crazy if he abused her and it ended up saving her life, seems pretty unlikely tho.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seems like it was an assumed benign tumour led to routine surgery and blood tests revealed malignant.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
But she looked so healthy in that grainy farm shop footage!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tesseraction posted:

Cancer, huh. Now I feel bad for all the speculation.

To be fair, people speculated about cancer and decided that probably wasn't it, because any serious illness -- and especially cancer -- is so sympathetic, it is a thing that has touched so many people's lives and no one makes light of it, that a non-insane publicity team would've simply been a great deal more honest about the situation, even if they didn't discuss specifics.

This, on the other hand, will likely generate more conspiracy theories because handling such a situation this poorly is so bizarre that it doesn't make common sense.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Going to be interesting though to see if the papers decide Kate now takes the title of Princess of our Hearts, moving Diana off the top spot - wouldn't be the first time she's been bumped off by the press.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tesseraction posted:

Seems like it was an assumed benign tumour led to routine surgery and blood tests revealed malignant.

Ovarian cyst seems a likely candidate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it could be that she didn't want to be public about it but yeah I still feel like the bizzare royal/press relationship that doesn't allow for "gently caress off please it's personal" as a response has clearly led to an incredibly bizzare handling of the situation.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

Well, that's not the responce I was hoping for

Imagine not being blocked by Akehurst on Twitter

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

keep punching joe posted:

Welp bet you're all feeling bad for laughing about ar kate now.

rumors give tumors

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Thought it would be something like that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
How could Meghan and Harry do this to her.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Runcible Cat posted:

Ovarian cyst seems a likely candidate.

An ovarian cyst wouldn't get chemotherapy afterwards. If they went in for what they thought was an ovarian cyst, took it out, and found cancer, then she might (ie, is) get chemotherapy for that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My American coworker told me they interrupted his basketball game for this breaking news.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The Perfect Element posted:

But she looked so healthy in that grainy farm shop footage!

I would enjoy The Sun eating some poo poo over that footage because that was clearly bullshit, but it's never going to happen.

No love for the royals but I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone. Especially not someone around my age who's lived a way healthier lifestyle.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Residency Evil posted:

An ovarian cyst wouldn't get chemotherapy afterwards. If they went in for what they thought was an ovarian cyst, took it out, and found cancer, then she might (ie, is) get chemotherapy for that.

Not by default, since they're usually benign, but they get checked afterwards and if they found the nasty then...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah. My call of "Angelina Jolie special" may not be far off the truth after all.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

My American coworker told me they interrupted his basketball game for this breaking news.

They're really committing to March Madness, eh?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

kingturnip posted:

They're really committing to March Madness, eh?

Well, everyone's brackets got busted yesterday so no one gives a poo poo any more.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The way she kept saying "major abdominal surgery", I assumed she had a full or partial hysterectomy due to endometriosis. I know someone who had a full hysterectomy and afterwards the doctors found some cancer in the tissue so they put her on some preventative treatment.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Shall we change the topic to something more positive?

I see wetherspoons fortunes are back on the up!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Imagine not being blocked by Akehurst on Twitter

hey look I'm trying but just calling him a oval office feels too easy for him to brush off

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Seriously, gently caress cancer.

My mum had surgery last week to treat breast cancer, and she’s on the mend now, but it’s been a super stressful time for everyone.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

One of the defences of ai is that it will help cure cancer. Maybe it should stop dicking about with silly fingered photos of celebrities then. We get the ai we deserve.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:siren: WE ARE LIVE FROM OUTSIDE BUCKINGHAM PALACE :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thuwZtUV0IM

Tesseraction posted:

hey look I'm trying but just calling him a oval office feels too easy for him to brush off

You need to call Akehurst a oval office while also posting memes of him in his replies. He hates being photoshopped.

Also gently caress cancer

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol they don't even live there tho?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol they don't even live there tho?

It's why I posted it. Not even the King and Camilla live there, as they chose to remain in Clarence House. Buckingham Palace is only used for offices and official events now.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Get the Bibby Stockholm lads in there

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

:siren: WE ARE LIVE FROM OUTSIDE BUCKINGHAM PALACE :siren:

Every cancer ward within a 20 mile radius staked out by paparazzi for the next two months.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Runcible Cat posted:

Not by default, since they're usually benign, but they get checked afterwards and if they found the nasty then...

Yup.

Mr. Apollo posted:

The way she kept saying "major abdominal surgery", I assumed she had a full or partial hysterectomy due to endometriosis. I know someone who had a full hysterectomy and afterwards the doctors found some cancer in the tissue so they put her on some preventative treatment.

Yeah this was the other possibility I thought about : severe endometriosis invading the bowel/requiring a major resection.

At this point, it's impossible to say what she has. "Preventative chemo" is a meaningless term that doesn't say a whole lot.

But it won't stop anyone from trying to read the tea leaves.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i guess to get the relevant tea leaves you'd need access to the water board

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Yup.

Yeah this was the other possibility I thought about : severe endometriosis invading the bowel/requiring a major resection.

At this point, it's impossible to say what she has. "Preventative chemo" is a meaningless term that doesn't say a whole lot.

But it won't stop anyone from trying to read the tea leaves.

If she went as an emergency overnight - rather than an elective procedure (most cancers are not emergencies) then something ovarian/female anatomy related is the most likely explanation. Bowels don't spontaneously block in healthy adults but you could get something thought to be a cyst (which are very common) torsioning leading to emergency surgery and cancer diagnosis once the pathology comes back on what was cut out.

It's all tea leaf reading but the fact that she's having chemo at all suggests it's reasonably advanced. It won't be offered for early/low risk tumours (risk/benefit doesn't justify). You can have it after surgery to reduce the risk of it coming back (which is what I'm interpreting "preventative" as) or you can have it to hopefully buy you more time.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
when will the independent show a live youtube stream of kate's surgery

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Z the IVth posted:

If she went as an emergency overnight - rather than an elective procedure (most cancers are not emergencies) then something ovarian/female anatomy related is the most likely explanation. Bowels don't spontaneously block in healthy adults but you could get something thought to be a cyst (which are very common) torsioning leading to emergency surgery and cancer diagnosis once the pathology comes back on what was cut out.

It's all tea leaf reading but the fact that she's having chemo at all suggests it's reasonably advanced. It won't be offered for early/low risk tumours (risk/benefit doesn't justify). You can have it after surgery to reduce the risk of it coming back (which is what I'm interpreting "preventative" as) or you can have it to hopefully buy you more time.

It depends on the situation. The fact that she was (reportedly) in the hospital for a long time supports that she had a fairly extensive abdominal surgery, not just a cyst torsion.

Chemo doesn't necessarily mean it's advanced. Early stage ovarian cancers still get chemo based on histology/grade, and you can bet that in a borderline situation, you're not going to be the oncologist that recommends less aggressive treatment for an otherwise healthy 42 year old that also happens to be the future queen.

If I were to put money on it, I'm guessing it was a fairly extensive ovarian (or possibly some sort of GI) cancer that required a rather large debulking.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

the bbc news website has gone proper kate, full dark gradient

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

im sick of royal chat but I think Harry has had the bum hair treatment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001