Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Even people who are also poo poo people are roasting him, amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Dude hilariously talks like Milton from Office Space. The world probably treats him similarly, I'm guessing.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/8eq8qf3.mp4

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Sandweed posted:

I'm looking forward to the backers demanding the source code so they can finish the game after CIG collapses.

They did promise you could self host.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Sandweed posted:

I'm looking forward to the backers demanding the source code so they can finish the game after CIG collapses even before CIG collapses.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Be very interesting to see the code comments if they haven't been cleaned up.

#TODO

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I wonder how many "// TEMP", "TEMP HACK:", "// TEMP: CitizenCon Hack" comments the Star Citizer source has

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I wonder how many commits are in git with username croberts.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Dude hilariously talks like Milton from Office Space. The world probably treats him similarly, I'm guessing.

Feels a bit on the nose to name his own channel "Mike's Basement" but there you go.

I didn't want to read all his bullshit but I skimmed a few of his comments. My understanding is that he got muted on Spectrum for spewing transphobic hate and this is very unfair because someone else mentioned that they are trans and exist and they did not get muted. These are clearly both political positions so they should be equally censored on Spectrum.

He also said that intersectional feminism and critical race theory are bullshit which doesn't even make sense. They are both (at least partly) conceptual frameworks for analyzing society, they can't really be bullshit in the standard sense.

Seems like a standard basement chud who's been conditioned to just shut down his brain as soon as he hears "leftist phrases".

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fidelitious posted:

Feels a bit on the nose to name his own channel "Mike's Basement" but there you go.

I didn't want to read all his bullshit but I skimmed a few of his comments. My understanding is that he got muted on Spectrum for spewing transphobic hate and this is very unfair because someone else mentioned that they are trans and exist and they did not get muted. These are clearly both political positions so they should be equally censored on Spectrum.

He also said that intersectional feminism and critical race theory are bullshit which doesn't even make sense. They are both (at least partly) conceptual frameworks for analyzing society, they can't really be bullshit in the standard sense.

Seems like a standard basement chud who's been conditioned to just shut down his brain as soon as he hears "leftist phrases".

I reached the same conclusion just from the video's title and comments too, didn't even have to click on the play button. 'Woke' is the new 'SJW' as far as dogwhistles for racist/homophobe/transphobe/womenphobe/whateverphobe idiots go.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FishMcCool posted:

I reached the same conclusion just from the video's title and comments too, didn't even have to click on the play button. 'Woke' is the new 'SJW' as far as dogwhistles for racist/homophobe/transphobe/womenphobe/whateverphobe idiots go.

Wokes been the go to for the right for a bit now. I give it another year before they start using another word to dogwhistle/be angry at, just go for how long SJW stuck around.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

They have spent the last 10+ years making tools that allow them to make content in volume so that once the core tech is in they can churn it out faster than players can experience it. Every time the game expands it's user base grows. Only those who doggedly stick to the idea that is cash cow whales that have driven funding might think a subscription is needed when actually it has always been the case that game packages bring in the majority of funding. Is there a saturation point? Only if you limit yourself to 'a game'.

There are lots of ways they can make money as well as selling game packages. You might ask yourself - what is the point of Arena Commander? Why have a small scale modular product in a large scale MMO? Just because we've gotten the AC modules for free until now doesn't mean it will always be that way and those modules work very well on a digital download gaming console platform for those who want the quick casual experience. "We've made it so we can lift any part of the persistent universe out and put it directly into Arena Commander". Do you see? They make content for the PU and it almost instantly becomes available as a standalone AC module.

This is an MMO and every game package allows the creation of 1 character slot in a game that has perma-death and persistence of reputation for your game character. This is the key point - you only get to create 1 game character per Squadron 42 game package which you can transfer to the PU, or 1 game character per Star Citizen package. Once Squadron 42 is released people will understand. Star Citizen is the same, I know it doesn't really sink in right now because the game keeps resetting, but once it no longer resets then the only way to get a new character is to kill the old one... or buy a game character slot (that is what a game package is, the 'free ship' is incidental, it's the perk of being an early adopter). They have never hidden the fact that you can play as many characters as you like on the same account.

Like all other gamers who have experienced a 1 dimensional approach by other gaming publishers it's hard to understand a multi-layered approach to a multi-modular multi-experience multiplayer franchise.

What brings in repeat sales?:

UEC sales

Squadron 42 Ep 1 and future expansions - hasn't anyone noticed they haven't limited Squadron 42 Ep 1 packages to one per account? Read DoaSM and the multiple game package clarification. Being able to continue your character from Ep 1 onward and into the PU doesn't mean much to anyone right now, but in the future it will.

Extra Squadron 42 character slots.

Star Citizen game packages (they decide what a 'starter ship' is for each SC package sold, they don't have to be limited to small ships). It's the standalone ship sales they plan to discontinue, not the higher value game packages. You can buy as many game packages as you like on one account and there has never been any indication that that will change in the future.

Star Citizen character slots. Not all players in this game universe will want to fly ships, and they don't need to.

Arena Commander modules across multiple platforms including mobiles - this is potentially the biggest money-spinner. Notice how 'console-like' the new AC front end is? It's played on the in-game lore version of a console.

Companion apps for mobiles.

Cosmetics microtransactions - this includes Spectrum content which could be by subscription or pay per view, it's Netflix / Youtube in a game universe. The Spectrum will be literally everywhere in and out of the game.

You think access to the Intergalactic Aerospace Expo will always be free? Or any other non-essential in game experience. Why would you assume that? Why do people think there are so many annual in game events? (there's more to come!). FOIP and VOIP doesn't just allow players to be present live in the game, it allows actors and performers too. This is an intangible that many don't understand, what is it that draws someone back into a game again and again? Change, something new, an event. 5 million players buying a $10 ticket to a week long extravaganza IAE plastered over all social media platforms is a good money-spinner, and a chance to sell other stuff, and it's just one event in a yearly repeating calendar of events. That's why they only require you to buy the game once for life, once you have a game package you're in, you have a lifetimes opportunity to spend more whenever you feel like it. Whenever the hype hits you. Would 'not going' to the IAE stop you from experiencing the Star Citizen universe life? No, it wouldn't. It's not Pay 2 Win, it's Pay 2 Experience. There is nothing to stop them hosting a mirror of the IAE, or any other event they can dream up, in Arena Commander.

In a recent monthly report there was something that went barely commented on, even by those who read those reports as Youtube content. They are putting Object Container Streaming into Arena Commander. That means unlimited map sizes per AC module, just like the PU, seamless traversal. Every module can become a multi-stage, multi-location game experience on it's own, a multi-mission campaign with no loading screen. The PU has large RAM load requirements because players spread out around the game space, but if the AC module has all the players grouped onto one ship going to one location, as they move from location to location, then the game server RAM requirement (and CPU workload) is much less than the PU. You have the 'small team' but full linear progression seamless game universe campaign experience. They can just keep streaming in and out locations while players are en route. It's a big deal.

Take o Wild guess, what might have prompted them to think of putting OCS into Arena Commander?

If you think Star Citizen is just a game like other games, you've missed the point, it has always been planned as a multi-access point virtual gaming franchise experience. Star Citizen is not just a game, it's a platform for selling experiences in a virtual universe, it's far more like Zuckerberg's META is/was planned to be than it is WoW. It has a big advantage over META, it's hardware agnostic.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
bringing up the pipelines argument 12 years later is extremely :rubby:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mirificus posted:

quote:

If you think Star Citizen is just a game like other games, you've missed the point, it has always been planned as a multi-access point virtual gaming franchise experience. Star Citizen is not just a game, it's a platform for selling experiences in a virtual universe, it's far more like Zuckerberg's META is/was planned to be than it is WoW. It has a big advantage over META, it's hardware agnostic.

Always, huh? Well, let's see what it was described as…

quote:

Real quick, Star Citizen is:
• A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
• Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
• Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
• Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
• No Subscriptions
• No Pay to Win

quote:

The traditional publishers don't believe in PC or Space Sims. Venture Capitalists only want to back mobile or social gaming start ups.

We say they're wrong. We say that there is a large audience of PC gamers that want sophisticated games built for their platform.

quote:

At its core Star Citizen is a destination, not a one-off story. It's a complete universe where any number of adventures can take place, allowing players to decide their own game experience. Pick up jobs as a smuggler, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, or enlist as a pilot, protecting the borders from outside threats. Chris Roberts has always wanted to create one cohesive universe that encompasses everything that made Wing Commander and Privateer / Freelancer special.

That doesn't sound very multi-access and most certainly not hardware-agnostic, but does sound just like a game like other games. So I suppose “always” doesn't include “from the very start”, somehow…

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I don’t like pisscat

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

it's far more like Zuckerberg's META is/was planned to be than it is WoW

This is more accurate than I think they intended it to be.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Worf posted:

I don’t like pisscat

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

quote:

once you have a game package you're in, you have a lifetimes opportunity to spend more whenever you feel like it.

That’s it. That’s the whole game

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Maybe CIG are just waiting for Monoclat to die of old age so they can downplay expectations on Spectrum a bit before releasing that feature-complete 1.0.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Bury me with my jpegs.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dr_rat posted:

Wokes been the go to for the right for a bit now. I give it another year before they start using another word to dogwhistle/be angry at, just go for how long SJW stuck around.
Woke, SJW, CRT, DEI, Cancel Culture, Political Correctness - its the same nonsense, they just keep renaming it every time it stops moving the needle.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fidelitious posted:

Apparently the MODERATOR was trans. And he's shocked he got banned for being transphobic.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm surprised that the star citizen commander that looks like an actual cliche of terminally online shitter has rancid opinions

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
TELL ME WHY

Worf posted:

I don’t like pisscat

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Daztek posted:

I wonder how many "// TEMP", "TEMP HACK:", "// TEMP: CitizenCon Hack" comments the Star Citizer source has

Just one. It is the overall source code top header.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

pisscat posted:

This is an MMO and every game package allows the creation of 1 character slot in a game that has perma-death and persistence of reputation for your game character. This is the key point - you only get to create 1 game character per Squadron 42 game package which you can transfer to the PU, or 1 game character per Star Citizen package. Once Squadron 42 is released people will understand.

I feel like I'm going insane for trying to understand this, but has CIG ever even outlined this "one character per S42" nonsense he keeps bringing up? Isn't this a complete invention on his part? And now the game has perma death so you can literally lose your $40 game for dying once? Yeah good luck with that.

pisscat posted:

Cosmetics microtransactions - this includes Spectrum content which could be by subscription or pay per view, it's Netflix / Youtube in a game universe.

CIG, who haven't been able to make a fully functional game, is now going to generate content akin to Netflix. I need a gif of the jennifer lawrence "yeah ok".

pisscat posted:

Quite the claim for a game that doesn't even have a Mac port.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I wonder how many commits are in git with username croberts.

There's no way in hell they're using Git. They're probably still using CVS. ;)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mu77ley posted:

There's no way in hell they're using Git. They're probably still using CVS. ;)

More like CSV.
They're a bit confused as to how that's supposed to help, but Chris says he read about it in an in-flight magazine so now it's mandatory.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen uses CVEs

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Cutedge posted:

I feel like I'm going insane for trying to understand this, but has CIG ever even outlined this "one character per S42" nonsense he keeps bringing up? Isn't this a complete invention on his part? And now the game has perma death so you can literally lose your $40 game for dying once? Yeah good luck with that.

I think back in the day there was some throwaway line in maybe 10 for the chairman about being able to take your SQ42 character into the verse after beating the campaign. The crazy brigade spun it into if you die in the verse you die in real life and you have to play SQ42 again for a new character. iirc.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I hope they finally make it so I can take a poo poo in this game.

I want to use that toilet.

Then leave a giant turd and NOT FLUSH.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Popete posted:

Star Citizen uses CVEs

Crashy, Vapid, Exploitative

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

There are so many things still missing and the main one is relevant to what you just said there... The Spectrum. It will change the game experience completely, when it arrives people won't be alt-tabbing out of the game. It is the facility that will allow people to find those connections they can't find now except outside of the game.

What Chris has said, that simply has never been the case up to now, is that information will be the most valuable commodity, it will be the thing every player spends the most time doing and acting upon. Until that happens it cannot be the game they said it would be. Long travel times won't seem so long when you have to spend most of that time information gathering, sorting, prioritising and planning on. Information was planned to be our greatest protection against disaster.

Too often information is thought of merely as a 'thing' to move around for a price, the same as invisible cargo. It was never intended to be that simplistic.

Many have gotten used to the way things are assuming that is the way things were always meant to be "For your sake I hope they don't gut combat gameplay the same way." It depends what people mean by 'gut' or 'nerf', it will change, we won't get the big score so often as now we'll have to work for it - some won't like that adjustment. Same with mining and salvaging, making millions in 20 minutes is not sustainable. Having no money sinks except ever larger or more deadly ships is also not sustainable.

When they have conducted polls and surveys the majority have said they want to explore, that means there has to be information about what to explore, there has to be ways of gathering and trading that information, you can't plan without it. There have to be pastimes to divert people. Tourism.

As I've said before it was never planned to be Pay 2 Win, but it was always planned to be Pay 2 Experience. Content is the currency that gives Star Citizen it's legs. A sense of achievement of broadening horizons coupled with a sense of connectedness to those relationships, to characters, factions and places have to be there, that comes from the Spectrum, that is what is going to make it all seem real. Just like real life, you work to acquire things through others that let you choose what experiences you want to prioritise in a world of possible experiences.

For Star Citizen to work you need 3 basic things - a home, a job and a reason to leave both of them and go out discovering things.

A home is not just a structure at a location, it is a community, it's all those familiar things that bring you back. It's the ties that bind.

A job is not just some repetitive grind, it is a sense of progression, investment of time and money. Growth.

Again we have to return to what was always given as the prime experience but has not yet materialised, a living breathing universe full of characters all going around doing stuff making a history, not just churning 'things'. There's not much point in global persistence without that. Why do people want to see more of Jax McCleary and Jimmy? Because it's the characters like that that make it all seem real. Whether we want to become them, or just spend our time following them, the entertainment is the relationships they (and we) make along the way. We need friends, followers, crew, those we need to be careful of, those we need to find to trade with - that is as much a part of the exploration and discovery as new places are. Global persistence is not about coffee cups, it's about relationships to characters. That is the point of having an always running fully persistent Quantum simulation, so that large parts of the games population aren't just shut down and dormant when no player is around.

The things that are finally going to make it all seem real are locked behind a no spoiler wall in Squadron 42. That's the first experience of the living breathing universe people will get, until that universe experience reaches Star Citizen it will all continue to seem 2 dimensional. Merely minute by minute transactional with no history to look back on, no real and lasting connections.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

dialhforhero posted:

I hope they finally make it so I can take a poo poo in this game.

I want to use that toilet.

Then leave a giant turd and NOT FLUSH.

This game is literal decades behind No More Heroes.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
In No More Heroes you also had a cat. For free.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

If that's all it will ever be it won't last long. Since it was never intended to be that way, it will last longer.

Do you remember the first time we ever saw a mission giver at CitizenCon? The player was in a hab on Port Olisar, he accessed his mobiglas and had a video call to go and meet an NPC in a bar. They specifically mentioned that it wasn't a pre-recorded video animation, the NPC was actually present in the location and making a mobiglas call to you, anyone standing next to that NPC would see them making the call. What is involved in that? Why do it that way? Squadron 42 is a scripted story game, events unfold as intended. If you listen to the directors commentary of the very first vertical slice mission they say it again.. they took time to create something they called Render To Texture to be able to allow NPC's to make live calls to the player from actual locations remote from the player - why would they do that? Why not just mocap and pre-record video? What are the limits of pre-recorded video they are trying to overcome?

When we look at what they are doing it's easy to be distracted by the details, the flavour of the minute minutiae, this weeks ISC topic, but if you step back and think, what limitations are they trying to overcome, what age old problem are they trying to solve here? What is worth all those years and years of R&D? Then it becomes clearer.

Played GTA V? What is the phone and internet cafe all about? You find things, you hook up with characters. Once you have those characters on your contact list they are a source of more activity. That is what the Spectrum is about but on a much much grander scale. It's WhatsApp and Skype, it's Tinder and LinkedIn, it's Craigsist and the local job mart, it's Facebook and Youtube, it's steaming news channels and infotainment... and everything persists. What that first mission giver CitizenCon presentation didn't make clear was that once you have that contact, you have a relationship that persists, with a character that persists. You don't need all of that for opportunistic random encounters every time you log in.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

TuxedoOrca posted:

In No More Heroes you also had a cat. For free.

latest one has multiple cats. You find Jeane's kittens and they hang around your apartment.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mirificus posted:

quote:

That is what the Spectrum is about but on a much much grander scale. It's WhatsApp and Skype, it's Tinder and LinkedIn, it's Craigsist and the local job mart, it's Facebook and Youtube, it's steaming news channels and infotainment... and everything persists.

Also cig, "sure we were going to make 99 solar systems, but um yeah turns out after over 10 years we have like one and a half sort of done'ish'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

unscripted tinder mobiglas calls