Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

The_Franz posted:

None of the sports teams at my old high school were very good, so nobody really cared about them. The only real divide was basically between the college-bound kids and the druggies and flunkies who disappeared midway though high school either to drop out and :okpos: all day, or went to the tech school to learn how to change oil.

My graduating class had about 300 people in it, and I probably never interacted with well over half of them.

We had town and gown as part of our dividing line. You were a kid associated with the university or a kid of the (mostly working class, blue-collar) not university folks. There were some kids who didn't fall into either category, but they got mentally sorted into town or gown anyways, based on whether they were expected to go to college or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Shanghaied posted:

Holy poo poo, that was her??!

Yeah no, all radio hosts who do prank calls deserve to be shot. Boring motherfuckers griefing working people who make a fraction of what they do.

IMO, the litmus test for whether something is a prank or just a dude being a dick is whether the person being pranked laughs at it afterwards. Clearly if someone dies or commits suicide that's deep in 'griefing' territory, but it doesn't need to be anywhere near that severe to not be an actual valid prank.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for using a gift card that my roommate’s students got for her?

RON HOWARD: But there was not more to the story.

christ - the op just keeps digging with their comments "my family is wealthy but i was put on a strict financial plan because my parents say i overspent, no i have no control over my finances. its my parents fault for not teaching me proper skills. i was justified in taking it because it was sitting there"

https://old.reddit.com/user/Karmixloop/comments/

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

IMO, the litmus test for whether something is a prank or just a dude being a dick is whether the person being pranked laughs at it afterwards. Clearly if someone dies or commits suicide that's deep in 'griefing' territory, but it doesn't need to be anywhere near that severe to not be an actual valid prank.

I think too often the problem is that the "humour" is solely in the fact that the person on the other side of line is ignorant of the nature of the call and/or is bound by professional courtesy, and is thus forced or tricked into playing the straight man in some unfunny sketch. I have a work number you can find on the internet, but if you prank called me, I'll just hang up on you, because my position allows me to do that. But they never call people like me, they call people part of whose job is to answer calls, people who can't hang up on them even when they realise it's a prank. Same as people who prank service workers who cannot simply walk away. The element of non-consent make it kinda icky to me. Don't even get me started on loving morning shows that do prank calls - it's so early in the day they always end up calling some service or blue-collar workplace, like wow you sure showed that nurse/receptionist at a delivery company.

Can you tell that I had to listen to that poo poo for years when I worked morning shift at a shop?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The Jubal show lets you call in to set up a highly personalized prank on someone and they sound so mean. Like one of them was a husband getting them to call his musician wife pretending that they'd damaged one of her instruments I think. Why would you want to do that to someone? I always switch stations when those segments come on

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

coronatae posted:

The Jubal show lets you call in to set up a highly personalized prank on someone and they sound so mean. Like one of them was a husband getting them to call his musician wife pretending that they'd damaged one of her instruments I think. Why would you want to do that to someone? I always switch stations when those segments come on

I loving hate that segment but my wife loves it.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mordiceius posted:

christ - the op just keeps digging with their comments "my family is wealthy but i was put on a strict financial plan because my parents say i overspent, no i have no control over my finances. its my parents fault for not teaching me proper skills. i was justified in taking it because it was sitting there"

https://old.reddit.com/user/Karmixloop/comments/

:stare:

Okay so the silver coins the OP has are actually silver bullion coins

quote:

Those coins were a gift from my grandpa, they have huge sentimental value.

quote:

They aren’t money, the are called bolos or something like that. It’s the weight that’s important.

Also she's bad with money:

quote:

No I don’t have the money to do that, my parents made me go to a financial counselor and I’m a strict plan to pay down my credit card debt. If I miss one payment on his plan my parents will cut off my tuition and rent.

She can't sell her bullions to pay her room mate back:

quote:

I had to lie to them that I sold them already, trust me I can’t sell them now or they’d be furious with me and they have a lot of sentimental value to me.

quote:

I had to sell all of my handbags, couture clothes, my car, etc… to get them to agree to get me out of my mess. They would be furious if they found out I kept stuff and that there are only 8 left (my ex stole the other 42 or so).

Yes, you read that right, her ex stole most of the coins, because he's also a thief and a trash fire of a human being:

quote:

He showed up to my door screaming and freaking out that he was going to do something crazy. I said let’s go eat, chill out and talk it over and I grabbed the card and we left I also wanted to get him out quick because I didn’t want him to see my coins or my roommates boyfriend’s new PlayStation.

:dogstare:

I mean I guess, that makes the OP slightly less of an rear end in a top hat??? She had to get her ex out of the house fast or he was gonna rob the place. She had to use the gift card as a distraction to save the PlayStation!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shanghaied posted:

I mean I guess, that makes the OP slightly less of an rear end in a top hat??? She had to get her ex out of the house fast or he was gonna rob the place. She had to use the gift card as a distraction to save the PlayStation!

God that reminds me of my friend who had his gamecube stolen and sold by his roommate, and his excuse was that he was actually doing them a favour because if he didn't pay his debt to his dealer their apartment would have probably be robbed or worse.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
That lady is some kind of trash elemental. Why can't she sell her family heirloom silver coins?

quote:

Those were a gift from my grandpa and they are super special to him because he bought them from the Pawn Stars place in Las Vegas.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

That lady is some kind of trash elemental. Why can't she sell her family heirloom silver coins?

She can't sell them because she told her parents that she's already had sold!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

:laffo: Truly a long and storied family history

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Food 0
Data 0
Rent 0
Silver coins 200
Utility 0

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I want to know more about this ex and why he only stole 42 out of 50 silver coins.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I want to know more about this ex and why he only stole 42 out of 50 silver coins.

I assume it was a swipe as the OP wasn't looking and he just missed a few

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Batterypowered7 posted:

I loving hate that segment but my wife loves it.

:sever:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

She also likes listening to War of the Roses, where they call suspected cheaters (pretending to be the flower department of some store they frequent) and offer to send a dozen roses to someone. Their partner is listening in on the call and are seeing if the suspected cheater will send them the flowers or send them to someone else.

Oh, and a third segment (might be a different station), where someone calls in 'cause they got ghosted after the first date and the radio station calls the other person to get their take. That one is equally awful because, once again, the other person is listening in on the call and eventually gets to interject.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
AITA for telling my wife the tiramisu was too expensive?

quote:

Yesterday, my wife didn't get a job she really wanted. She has a job at the moment, but wants to leave and this was a great job for her that didn't work out.

She loves tiramisu so I wanted to get it for her to make her feel better. Looked at a few places and one of them was highly rated but it was like $30 for it. I found another place where it was $15 and it was great, she loved it.

Later last night I said "oh I was actually going to order from that other place, but it was like $30 which is so expensive!" She didn't say anything to that but this morning called me an AH and said that statement ruined it for her. She said it made her feel small like she's not even worth $30 to me. I tried explaining that's not what I meant but it was more of a "can you believe how expensive some places have got?"

Was I the rear end in a top hat?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

AITA for telling my wife the tiramisu was too expensive?

Probably YTA but impossible to know without having heard the way the OP said it

Not because of not spending 30 or whatever, not because of comparison shopping, but when buying someone a gift, if you brag about how much money you saved on it, they will feel bad

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
AITAH for divorcing my cheating wife now that its in my best interest to do so?

quote:

I(43m) discovered my wife's(44f) infidelity 8 years ago. My two kids were in primary school at that time so I gave her another chance. It was somewhat genuine as I was open to exploring if marriage can be saved and if it cant be, my kids would be older and can take the brunt of divorce better. I also refused to budge on 3rd kid that she wanted. I was not gonna bring another kid in this marriage.

To her credit she has been an ideal wife since then, worked on herself but I never really forgave her. I just learned to be okay with status quo. Until now.

I had a NSTEMI about a year ago. That changed my perspective. I got my cholesterol and blood pressure level down, start taking my fitness seriously and I am now in best shape of my life. That triggered self improvement in other areas of my life. My style, my profession etc.

With that came a nagging feeling, I can get a better partner than my wife. I want to go into retirement with a woman who never betrayed me.

So I am leaving my wife, I was honest with her about the reason. I think I can do better than her that's why I am leaving her. I told her she is still pretty which is somewhat true, but what I need is a person who never cheated on me and she cant be that person. Since our kids are older now her utility for me is decreasing with every passing day. There is no point delaying the inevitable.

She is not happy is an understatement. She is accusing me of using her. She is also distressed about not having a 3rd kid. Thinks that I robbed her of a 3rd kid. Which I find most outrageous. She was willing to bring another kid in a broken marriage that she broke. And even if I left her 8 years ago, was she going jump on any dick to get a baby. Has she no consideration of other 2 kids?

I am basically ignoring her attempts to goad me into arguments and marching forwards with divorce. I am in best position to divorce now, kids are older, I can date easily.

AITA?

Comments:

quote:

He could easily go “I have it my best but after a near death experience I realize I can’t spend the rest of my life with a woman who cheated. I’m in good shape and my confidence is back and my kids are old enough now I can leave and not be worry.” That’s how I think most would have posted it even if they feel similar to him.

quote:

"her utility to me is decreasing every day" he literally doesn't see her as a person, just as an object there for his use. That phrase was disgusting.

Lots of discussion on this one

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

rotinaj posted:

Not because of not spending 30 or whatever, not because of comparison shopping, but when buying someone a gift, if you brag about how much money you saved on it, they will feel bad

I saw this one earlier, there was someone saying that they actually do that, because the more they love you, the more effort they'll put into haggling and bargain hunting. Like, ok buddy, I'm sure "look how little I was able to spend on you" has worked great every time

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you want to talk about how much you saved on something, KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE. My grandmother isn't like a skinflint, but she's super thrifty, and she's happy to hear that the nice gift she's been given was gotten for a good price. Do that the wrong person, and you've insulted them.

(it's very "oh, you didn't have to spend so much for me!" "Oh I'm happy to get it for you, it was even on sale")

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

ApplesandOranges posted:

My guess is either he grabbed whatever was out in the open quickly and missed some (maybe because OP came back to the room) or he stole 1-2 at a time and got away with 42 before the OP figured out what was going on.

rotinaj posted:

I've had partners and friends who feel better about a gift if it cost less or you got it semi-free (like with credit card reward points), generally they've had bad experiences with someone holding an expensive gift over their head in some way and knowing 'nah, these points are going to expire anyway' helps them not worry about that. But I think even those people wouldn't appreciate 'I picked the cheaper place because the more expensive one was too much to spend on your special dinner', that just gives an 'I don't care' vibe.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

trickybiscuits posted:

Comments:

Fact of the matter is when you're staying with someone for the kids, they basically are just a business partner in "Raising Our Kids, Incorporated", that kinda impersonal thinking is pretty drat common in that scenario, if he had described literally the same thought process in any other words, I don't think he would've gotten the same reaction.

That being said, oh my god, why would that be how you chose to word that?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When no one was looking, Ex Luthor took forty-two coins. He took 42 coins. That's as many as seven sixes. And that's terrible.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Probably YTA but impossible to know without having heard the way the OP said it

I'm in the YTA camp just based off his delivery.

Yes, he did a nice thing to make her happy. She was happy. LEAVE IT AT THAT!!!!!! To then go "I would have gotten you the more expensive one, but it was $15 more expensive" is, to her, saying "You're not worth $15."

Dude did the right thing and then completely fumbled at the end. If you're financially strapped, I'm sure she knows that and you don't have to remind her.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I've had partners and friends who feel better about a gift if it cost less or you got it semi-free (like with credit card reward points), generally they've had bad experiences with someone holding an expensive gift over their head in some way and knowing 'nah, these points are going to expire anyway' helps them not worry about that. But I think even those people wouldn't appreciate 'I picked the cheaper place because the more expensive one was too much to spend on your special dinner', that just gives an 'I don't care' vibe.

Exactly. My wife and I both come from fairly poor backgrounds so even though we have well paying jobs now, she can still have a bit of economic anxiety around purchases. So if I tell her "Don't worry, I got your birthday present on sale" it will allow her to enjoy it more.

The thing about this story for me is - it was $15. I totally get being in a financial place where an extra $15 could mean a lot, but in the grand scheme of things, $15 is not a lot. And saying "I went with the cheap option because you're not worth the extra $15" when she is already feeling super down about job stuff makes you a loving idiot.

I guess it's less of a "You're the rear end in a top hat" and more of a "You're the idiot"

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

reignonyourparade posted:

Fact of the matter is when you're staying with someone for the kids, they basically are just a business partner in "Raising Our Kids, Incorporated", that kinda impersonal thinking is pretty drat common in that scenario, if he had described literally the same thought process in any other words, I don't think he would've gotten the same reaction.

That being said, oh my god, why would that be how you chose to word that?

To twist the knife. Which, to be honest, I get. But you do lose a little moral high ground I think.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

AITAH for "destroying" my daughters future by taking her out of her current school because her and her friend group were bullying other kids?

quote:

So I took my daughter out of her private school after finding out she and her friends were bullying another student who was not as fortunate, I also took her car away and put a strict curfew of 8:30 on days she works and 5 on days she does not work. My ex is furious, she feels this is overkill. I have primary custody.

Part of me is even thinking of giving the student she and her friends bullied her car, but logistically that would be harder to navigate

I explained to my daughter that I did not go above and beyond to provide every opportunity for her to succeed in life to find out she and her friend's lord said opportunities and luxuries over others. She will be going to a year-round school district, her private school follows the traditional schedule. Her new school will have fewer extracurricular activities.

My ex feels it is unfair to her future, but idc. She is acting like her mother where she mistakes another's fortune for her own. She is threatening to take me back to court because she feels this punishment is unfair and we should not use her education as a form of punishment.

I told her to take me to court, but I don't think a court can force me to put my kid in private school.

I was speaking with my dad, and he told me I should rethink this. He used to be a teacher and he told me schools have become far more competitive to get into, the lack of varied extracurricular activities and loss of prestige from her private school could harm her chances at getting into top schools. Since GPA and AP credit is not enough.

This got me thinking, but idk I do not think I should allow her to continue on the same path after she mocked another student who had less.

My father told me this could form a rift between us, (us being my daughter and I) and I could see that. My daughter said she rather be with her mom. I have told her many times I am not stopping her from being with her mom, her mom is what is stopping it. She did not want to have 50/50 custody. I did not want to fight, so I agreed to take primary and cover everything.

I left my wife because I did not notice how nasty of a person she was at the core, and my daughter has shown she has the same tendencies.

So aita?

Update: Tomorrow I will sit down and ask why she did what she did because people are right I should have noticed. Her friends always seemed nice, never got complaints from any parents in her friends or social groups. Teachers never complained.

I bought into my perfect little girl mindset. I will ask her, and I will see what is what. That being said my daughter knows how I feel about this stuff, her mom and I divorced because her mom did not like how I ran my practice and felt I was using family funds to cover the treatment costs for those who could not afford it because our insurance system regarding eye health is dumb.

She did not like that I chose to work longer hours and more days to cover my costs while also providing free to no-cost care for those in need instead of suggesting the hold-off treatment if they don't qualify for a loan.

I will sleep on it and ask her tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback and advice. I will say this I refuse to force her to apologize, cause it would be worthless. All it will do is foster the mindset that if I apologize when I gently caress up everything will work itself out.

I will not force her to volunteer or do charity work cause all that will foster is if she does something that appears to show she has changed or has learned something new all will work out.

Charity and volunteer work are not punishments, they should not be used to show people how others live. They should be activities people do because they want to not because they get rewarded for it, or to correct some wrong.

I liked this point in the comments:

quote:

So she'll have to work as hard as the other less fortunate kid she bullied does, since it sounds like their parents couldn't afford expensive extra curriculars. Sounds like a fitting punishment to me.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

trickybiscuits posted:

Comments:

I mean she cheated so she's the rear end in a top hat but also dude sounds like a fuckin psychopath the way he said it all

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

I mean she cheated so she's the rear end in a top hat but also dude sounds like a fuckin psychopath the way he said it all

its a nasty mix of 8 years of resentment and the cruel and vindictive pleasure of feeling like he has the upper hand now

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's much more satisfying to identify, scope out, and carefully catalogue future projects than it is to actually do any of these projects. I assume that when you buy a house it's exactly the same, just on a larger scale.

Honey, I've tried and tried, but I just can't find the perfect rocks to go around the sunken bathtub to be the proper DoomBathroom.wad for you. All of the rocks I've tried keep chanting words I cannot speak in my human tongue and also they are sharp so it just sounds sliiiiiightly off.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I do like how the Suddenly Hot dude never makes any mention of actually receiving increased female attention

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Goofy voice sex doll maker missed two opportunities. Either use the Goofy impression to talk about "hyuck'ing" or make the Big John/Little John observation with a Robin Hood character impression.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I do like how the Suddenly Hot dude never makes any mention of actually receiving increased female attention

Yeah, he reeks of a guy who's noticed some improvement from the gym and is posing in front of his bathroom mirror going, "Oh yeah, women are gonna love this." Just like all the guys who open their marriages because they think they'll be swimming in it and can't get a single hit.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I'm one of those people, yeah. Someone being 'I know you wanted/would like this and I managed to get it on sale' makes me happy cause it's the thought that counts, not the monetary expenditure, and knowing they managed to save some cash in the process is good. Especially with prices of everything these days. :sigh:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Grey Cat posted:

I have no mic, no cameras, also I'm 15. Money please!

He's literally dating Andrew Tate

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for telling my husband to have kids with someone who looks like him?

quote:

Throwaway for reasons that will become obvious if they weren't from the subject line.

I and my husband are in our late 20s. Recently, my husband and I were over at my grandparents' house to celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary (we've been lucky that they're with us, still in their 90s), and my dad made a toast to them and thanked them for founding a great family and for their attention to their many children (5), grandchildren (18), and great-grandchildren (4 currently, with one one the way from my cousin).

My husband leaned over and whispered something along the lines of, "I bet they'll be happiest when they see our kids, because our kids will be so pretty." I didn't memorize what he said, but it was basically that gist.

I asked him why he was so sure that our kids would be especially pretty compared to my siblings' and cousins' kids (the kids who already exist are plenty cute), and he said that he was sure because he's more attractive than my female relatives' partners and because his siblings' kids are cuter than my relatives' kids.

I love my husband, and I think he's very attractive, obviously, but I don't think he's objectively more attractive than my siblings' and cousins' partners. I also love my niblings-in-law, but I don't think they're objectively more attractive than my siblings' and cousins' kids. I don't normally think about the kids that way at all, and when I was put in the position of doing so today to consider how much of an AH my husband was being, it felt weird to me. They're kids -- they're beautiful because they exist, and then sometimes they act up, and are tiny AHs for a bit, but still beautiful because life is.

Anyway, his family and my family are the same ethnicity and race (Caucasian European), but we have very different coloring. His family is very light-skinned, with red or blonde hair and blue or green eyes (Scandinavian), and my family is darker skinned (Mediterranean) with brown hair and brown eyes. He thinks his family's looks are objectively superior to my family's looks. I had never encountered this opinion from him before, but now it feels very distasteful to me, like it's colorism or racism or, at worst, neo-N*zism (I don't think it's actually that, but it's still a concerning perspective that could be construed as such).

I asked him why he cares what the kids look like, as long as they're healthy and happy, and he said that it matters to the outside world. I asked him if he would think the kids were less attractive than his niblings if they looked like my side, and he was quiet and said we'd "handle that if it happened." I guess with hair dye?!

I told him I didn't appreciate the implication that I was less attractive than his entire family, and he insisted that that wasn't it but that he wants his kids to look more than like him than like me. I told him he should be with someone who looks more like him than I do, if that's the case, and he said I was being unreasonable. AITA?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

quote:

Anyway, his family and my family are the same ethnicity and race (Caucasian European), but we have very different coloring. His family is very light-skinned, with red or blonde hair and blue or green eyes (Scandinavian), and my family is darker skinned (Mediterranean)
Ohhhhh dear

Not the same ethnicity, and race is not biologically real

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ApplesandOranges posted:

hate to tell this lady, but I imagine that in her husband's idea of race, they are absolutely not the same race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can't really take Caucasian European seriously. I mean if she mean his family was from Dagestan and hers family was Armenian, but the next line about Scandinavian and Mediterranean.