Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

cumpantry posted:

holy poo poo lol please tell me D&C legit has an AI generated lobster hanging in his place. i cant even imagine

Why would it matter to me if it's AI or not? Oh you think there's value in the artists intention HAHAHAHAHHA that's a lie told by capital to make them feel better about being underpaid OMG I can't believe you believe that. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAha HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Anyway I got it from https://blackgoldpress.bigcartel.com/product/lobster-linocut-print-three-colour-edition it's rad.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Poohs Packin posted:

And Moby Dick is a book about a whale.

Do yourself a favour and see some of his works in person. Typing "Rothko" into GIS gives you an idea of what his paintings look like, but doesnt really convey the feeling of them.

I know this seems wanky but its sort of his whole thing. He set out to paint emotions, with the purpose of creating a greater understanding and empathy between people. Its incredibly ambitious but he succeeded , despite his paintings not assuming recognizable forms.

And it wasnt by mistake. He employed innovative techniques to modify the properties of his paints and create finely layered textures and depth. This is why people describe his paintings as seeming alive. He didnt just apply a single color to a canvas and be done with it. None of this will come through on a phone screen or monitor.

Hes also a tragic figure because he was depressed, and took his own life. Someone who was so dedicated to deepening our understanding of each other and was at the same time so disturbed and distressed. He couldnt make himself better but still tried to do for others.

If thats not moving on some level, well, then I dont really know what to say.

Finally, I get that the aesthetic has been co-opted by corporate spaces for being relatively inoffensive. Corporate offices also have Banksy prints or those horrible graffiti monkey wearing a crown "street art" paintings.

This isnt the fault of the artist and divorces the work from its context and intention. Not to get all Marxist, but capital subsuming art is nothing new. This shouldnt be a criticism of the artist.

Personally, i love the aesthetic for its simplicity, depth, and richness. I understand that its not for everyone and thats fine.

i dont want such works to be perfectly replicated with advanced future 3d printers and used for corporate profit yet i do want star trek replicators to make me cheeseburgers whenever i want

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Rule 42 of a trailer park Deanna Troi doing a feeder/mukbang stream next to a duct taped and rusty replicator surrounded by empty chocolate sundae dishes.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Rule 42 of a trailer park Deanna Troi doing a feeder/mukbang stream next to a duct taped and rusty replicator surrounded by empty chocolate sundae dishes.

Art.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Poohs Packin posted:

the longest sentence in the tamarian language, their most evocative cultural metaphor by far

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Everyone I work with Is getting forced to use ai integration if they code and everyone hates it who isn't just starting out. Lol.

I heard they pay 4k a month for each GitHub account that has it and they get charged per PR that uses it. Lol. Lmao.

In other news we just killed a service that cost 2000 Dollars a month for the entire company to save money.

Why yes, our new tech officer is also really into Bitcoin. Lol to infinity.

I think part of it is that all of our code is proprietary and the ai can't really integrate because it's so old and the other part is old people refusing to try it.

I hear it does nice boiler plate poo poo but that's useless when it needs to integrate with a code base made of popsicle sticks, gum, and some tape.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 22, 2024

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you.....you ever stand in front of a rothko..... on weed?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

cumpantry posted:

try actually standing in front of one before you shoot your mouth off like that

I quite like them, of the two 12-month calendars I buy every year, one is always a Rothko. To me, they remind me of sunsets. But why stand and look at a boring painting that reminds you of a sunset when you could admire... the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
https://www.wheresyoured.at/peakai/ Zitron looks at the fact AI PR flaks can’t talk about what they’re doing and when they’ll do it… As a major negative sign that’s going to lead to a massive devaluing of tech in general.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I fear the day when AI users become self-aware.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Big tiddy chicks with guns calendar

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Looking at my Rothko calendar, but there are no text or numbers, just smudges.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BoldFace posted:

Looking at my Rothko calendar, but there are no text or numbers, just smudges.

maybe you'd prefer a Marvel Cinematic Universe calendar instead?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

loving philistine

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.tfpublishing.com/products/2024-space-cats-wall-calendar

Meow.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

when exactly did the Rothko chapel become the Infinite Jest of guys who wanna be perceived as aesthetes, do you think?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I used AI to write a text to break up with my girlfriend

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

need to be very clear if you have not physically stood in front of a rothko you have legitimately no idea what you're speaking about. you might not realize it but there's a difference between a thumbnail of google images and the monoliths he painted, full scale

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i will also lol in perpetuity one of the top 10 most ignored users on this forum has a loving AI lobster hanging up in his house. you cannot make this poo poo up

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

when exactly did the Rothko chapel become the Infinite Jest of guys who wanna be perceived as aesthetes, do you think?

there's nothing wrong with infinite jest!!!! :mad:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cumpantry posted:

need to be very clear if you have not physically stood in front of a rothko you have legitimately no idea what you're speaking about. you might not realize it but there's a difference between a thumbnail of google images and the monoliths he painted, full scale

saw his poo poo at the national gallery. i don';t agree w you

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

its def better than ai art tho lol

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

:shepface: very well.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
rothko-channnnnnnnnnnnnn

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

kntfkr posted:

there's nothing wrong with infinite jest!!!! :mad:

Nor with Green and Tangerine on Red, it is legit beautiful one-on-one in a well-curated space. It's also very easy to see how someone could be in its presence and not become an instant convert to the transformative power of Art, and notable that nobody gets like this about any of the thousands of contemporary living artists working in the same techniques and ideas, producing near-identical paintings for 60 years. Cause it's not really about the painting at all, is it?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 22, 2024

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

its def better than ai art tho lol

but have you seen all of the creative ways ai can draw corn?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Bad Purchase posted:

but have you seen all of the creative ways ai can draw corn?

no

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

what about a video of anthropomorphic corn eating spaghetti

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1771214776716152915
:suicide:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

cumpantry posted:

i will also lol in perpetuity one of the top 10 most ignored users on this forum has a loving AI lobster hanging up in his house. you cannot make this poo poo up

You haven't really acknowledged that you've seen the lobster. So is it ai? Come on tell me. I don't think is. I also don't think it matters but it matters to you and I want you to say if it is or not. Anyway I don't actually care one way or another about Rothko I just understand why people might not be blown away and I suspect I'd feel the same way if I saw one in person. People in general do not give a poo poo about anything beyond the superficial when it comes to art.

Besides AI is poo poo until it can give me such art as Chili Dog muscle Sonic, and The prince rolling a breast with an erection and other such masterpieces. It'll happen though, the future is looking bright.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 22, 2024

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It's awesome that the technology is getting pushed, but I wouldn't trust overpromising and under developing sales teams to be carefully balancing success vs. the flamethrower war crimes of downsizing and socioeconomic fallout. Discouraged veteran oldbies NOT wanting to train their AI replacement are going to cause the general pyramid of professional understanding to tesseract, we WILL lose knowledge in that churn, and likely enough the existing corporate monarchical structure will remain largely unchanged and unchecked in the same colors it already is despite its promises of leaning and becoming more dynamic.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Waffle House posted:

It's awesome that the technology is getting pushed,

No

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I remember my mom giving me the exact same Rothko talk in like 1994, what are you talking about? It's like the number one thing people say about his paintings, that you have to see them in person and you can't judge or call them just a smudge or block of color or whatever unless you have. I'm confident people have been having that discussion since the 1950s

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cumpantry posted:

:shepface: very well.

i want to clarify that i dont think hes a hack or w/e (tho his poo poo isnt worth the 1.8 m the national gallery paid for his one piece), but that you can absolutely get the impression of what his art is by looking at a pic on a computer

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

the funniest painting ever is the Garden of Earthly Delights, and no AI could come up with some of the poo poo in those three paintings

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the simplest argument is rothko's pieces are loving big. theres plenty of people who will dismiss something rothko made because it was printed on a textbook or posted on twitter in it's tiny little thumbnail bitch size. it's not the right way to see his work, that's what you're supposed to do for the mona lisa

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Now let me tell you about AI Jackson Pollock....

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

cumpantry posted:

the simplest argument is rothko's pieces are loving big. theres plenty of people who will dismiss something rothko made because it was printed on a textbook or posted on twitter in it's tiny little thumbnail bitch size. it's not the right way to see his work, that's what you're supposed to do for the mona lisa

I printed out the big green one using rasterbate on 50 pieces of paper in grey scale and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the margins but I think it was a good approximation and it stunk

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

I printed out the big green one using rasterbate on 50 pieces of paper in grey scale and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the margins but I think it was a good approximation and it stunk

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Smugworth posted:

You're suppose to look at it on your smart watch.