Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Harrow posted:

Yes, there's a chapter select just like Remake, with more options (like you can set whether you want side quests you've already done to be completed or not, for example).

Aw heck yeah let's go ending hunting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

i'm 70 hours in and still using the umbral blade because of all its materia slots. disappointing that as badass as the crystal sword looks it's got dogshit for materia slots

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wamsutta posted:

i'm 70 hours in and still using the umbral blade because of all its materia slots. disappointing that as badass as the crystal sword looks it's got dogshit for materia slots

Yeah, Materia feels like it's king, so I always went with the most slots. Cloud was my Enemy Skill/Healing materia person and was strong no matter what he used tbh.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Wamsutta posted:

You’re about to get a cooler one - I rocked umbral for a really long time

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Levantine posted:

Yeah, Materia feels like it's king, so I always went with the most slots. Cloud was my Enemy Skill/Healing materia person and was strong no matter what he used tbh.

On your first playthrough you definitely want to level as many materia as possible just to save time later.

Later when you got all good stuff maxed out you can very specialized builds with lesser slots

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm pretty sure you can't get more than one Enemy Skill materia, right? Or is there a way in post game to get another?

And HP<=>MP kind of trivializes any hard mode section where you have reserve characters, as long as you can survive individual fights and remember to take it off before the character using it is forced into the battle party by story events.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't get more than one Enemy Skill materia, right? Or is there a way in post game to get another?

And HP<=>MP kind of trivializes any hard mode section where you have reserve characters, as long as you can survive individual fights and remember to take it off before the character using it is forced into the battle party by story events.

Yeah, there's only one.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I hope anyone trying to complete all the sidequests did so before the most recent patch came out the other day. There’s a chapter 12 quest that is bugged and completely unfinishable now.

One of the requirements is to break a high score in G-Bike, which is reasonable enough, but the game doesn’t register you completing it. You’ll get the reward, you’ll get a checkmark on the high score page, but that’s it. The quest won’t advance and there’s apparently nothing you can do about it short of uninstalling the game and re-installing the older, non-updated version of it. And if you’re digital only? Well, you’re hosed until Square-Enix gets around to fixing it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NieR Occomata posted:

In my opinion, cosmo canyon sucks and gongaga gets undue hate. Gongaga is a lot easier to navigate than is claimed but in my opinion everything about chocobo gliding sucks rear end and hitting the vents is unnecessarily finicky and difficult.

I feel like people are psyching themselves out with Gongaga, because it isn't nearly as bad to navigate as I've seen implied.

Mt best guess is that maybe some people are still using the compass minimap and aren't paying close attention to the area map.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

bewilderment posted:

Gilgamesh Island (tried one fight, "Come back at level 65" seems about right)

Oh, they're 65? That explains the one-shot Gigaflare.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like people are psyching themselves out with Gongaga, because it isn't nearly as bad to navigate as I've seen implied.

Mt best guess is that maybe some people are still using the compass minimap and aren't paying close attention to the area map.

yeah Cosmo was way way worse for me, at least Gongaga never sent me backtracking across half the map to find the one special platform I have to jump off of to be able to reach the next thirteen in a sequence to get somewhere

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm in the camp of preferring Cosmo's obvious direct straight line paths, even if the way to get up to them was winding or long, to Gongaga's indeterminate bounciness mushroom hopping.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Almost Smart posted:

I hope anyone trying to complete all the sidequests did so before the most recent patch came out the other day. There’s a chapter 12 quest that is bugged and completely unfinishable now.

One of the requirements is to break a high score in G-Bike, which is reasonable enough, but the game doesn’t register you completing it. You’ll get the reward, you’ll get a checkmark on the high score page, but that’s it. The quest won’t advance and there’s apparently nothing you can do about it short of uninstalling the game and re-installing the older, non-updated version of it. And if you’re digital only? Well, you’re hosed until Square-Enix gets around to fixing it.

I did manage to complete that one, but now I'm scared to reset side job data so that I can redo the Gold Cup race to triple crown it. :ohdear:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

In here to join the “gently caress glide de chocobo” organization

Can I just blow off doing any more of this after getting the weapon out of the 1st course?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Cosmo because I can usually just look up and see the gliding tracks so I can figure out without jumping to map exactly where I need to go and then when I do jump to the map there's like a 50% chance I already have one of the gliding tracks as a fast travel point (had a hell of a time finding the scenic photo shot though).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UP AND ADAM posted:

I'm in the camp of preferring Cosmo's obvious direct straight line paths, even if the way to get up to them was winding or long, to Gongaga's indeterminate bounciness mushroom hopping.

The thing about Gongaga is that I don't think there are any unintuitive mushroom paths that are necessary to reach areas. Some send you far, but there's never a situation where you need to find a random* mushroom to reach a place that is otherwise inaccessible.

Most are just "chains" of mushrooms that are pretty intuitive and/or apparent on the map.

* by "random" I just mean "mushroom where it's not immediately obvious where it's going to send you"

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
The one two punch of Gongaga and Cosmo really made me beeline the main story. Nibelheim was super pleasant by comparison, but all the world quests started to feel a little too tedious at that point.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked Cosmo because I could see things, I didn’t like Gongaga cause I couldnt see poo poo

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

The one two punch of Gongaga and Cosmo really made me beeline the main story. Nibelheim was super pleasant by comparison, but all the world quests started to feel a little too tedious at that point.

nibelheim's chocobo totally ruined the other areas of the game for me because it shows they had the technical capability to make the chocobo fun iand simply chose to make it bad in some areas instead

Augus posted:

I liked Cosmo because I could see things, I didn’t like Gongaga cause I couldnt see poo poo

this is partially my fault because the first thing I did in the game was invert the camera controls, and then the 2nd thing I did was set the default camera distance to 3, but yea I loved playing the "try to look upwards without putting your camera inside the grass/tree/bush/plant challenge" game in gongaga.

there is a quest where you climb the same ladder a bunch of times. camera distance 3 turns the entire screen into the back of a leaf for a significant portion of the ladder climb every time you do it. :cheers:

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 22, 2024

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I love finally unleashing all of Tifa's attacks with triangle, there's a specific "dink!" sound effect that plays after omnistrike I think, which normally signals the end of the fight because nobody seems to survive it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

redreader posted:

I love finally unleashing all of Tifa's attacks with triangle, there's a specific "dink!" sound effect that plays after omnistrike I think, which normally signals the end of the fight because nobody seems to survive it.

Sometimes you just Unbridled Strength->Omnistrike->US->Os->US->Os until a thing dies and it's neat.

Anyway guess I'm gonna move on to whatever is on the Northern Continent since Ultimate Party Animal quest is broken. 12-16 hours of gameplay to go, apparently! wheee

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

12 rats tied together posted:

nibelheim's chocobo totally ruined the other areas of the game for me because it shows they had the technical capability to make the chocobo fun iand simply chose to make it bad in some areas instead

It's really fun zooming around on the Nibelheim chocobo. You can go very fast if you alternate between gliding and rising.

I wonder if 3 will let you fly everywhere.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think I need to go take a walk lol. End game spoilers I died to like phase 5 of the Sep fight and selected the restart This fight option which took me to the first fight instead of the phase I was at like I had thought it would. no idea if I screwed up or if this was super unclear

Lol just lmao at my dumb rear end.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I think I need to go take a walk lol. End game spoilers I died to like phase 5 of the Sep fight and selected the restart This fight option which took me to the first fight instead of the phase I was at like I had thought it would. no idea if I screwed up or if this was super unclear

Lol just lmao at my dumb rear end.

Unfortunately, like all boss gauntlets (and multi part mini games), restarting sends you all the way back to the point where you initiated the first fight. Considering how long all of that is, it really sucks to get screwed over near the end!

But at least it will give you the chance to adjust materia to make the earlier fights go faster :v:

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

bewilderment posted:

12-16 hours of gameplay to go, apparently! wheee

Oh my god, you really aren't kidding. This game is insane.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like Cosmo because I can usually just look up and see the gliding tracks so I can figure out without jumping to map exactly where I need to go and then when I do jump to the map there's like a 50% chance I already have one of the gliding tracks as a fast travel point (had a hell of a time finding the scenic photo shot though).

Augus posted:

Exactly, Cosmo was really intuitive because you could just turn the camera up and figure out where you needed to go instead of trying to zoom in on the map and try to make out paths mostly covered in foliage. But if you do zoom in on the Cosmo map, you can see all of the propellers and gliding platforms, because none of them are covered by trees! And every single gliding spot is a fast travel point!

I just got to chapter 12 and I am not happy to learn that the one side quest is glitched. I also am not happy to learn about all the pirate jetsam floating around that I apparently need to find to craft better gear? I got the compass but I don’t feel like combing the whole ocean. Does the map at least show the ones you’ve already found, like with the Chocobo digging items?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There's like 3 jetsam you will run into on the way to the first objective in chapter 13. So as long as you have the compass you will get at least a couple without needing to look too hard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just got to chapter 12 and I am not happy to learn that the one side quest is glitched. I also am not happy to learn about all the pirate jetsam floating around that I apparently need to find to craft better gear? I got the compass but I don’t feel like combing the whole ocean. Does the map at least show the ones you’ve already found, like with the Chocobo digging items?

I mean I wouldn't say you need to find the pirate jetsam. It's just for some upgraded accessories that you can easily get by without (I certainly didn't bother until hard mode).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I noticed I just got the region intel 2 reports added to the battle simulator, do they add new enemies to fight in the open world in chapter 12 or what?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its from the enemies in the new sidequests.

Corel Intel 2 is a nightmare

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What the gently caress is going on with the battle square? The first fight is literally impossible. 8 enemies attacking as frequently as possible just stunlock you to death before you can do anything.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Get hosed mindflayer I dropped difficulty to easy, used Cloud + Tifa, sleep on minions and spammed synergy and Tifa's combos.

I still had to redo the fight 3 times because sometimes splash damage killed the adds

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sindai posted:

What the gently caress is going on with the battle square? The first fight is literally impossible. 8 enemies attacking as frequently as possible just stunlock you to death before you can do anything.

Consider using Plasma Discharge. You can also come back as Yuffie and destroy them with Windstorm.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I do not understand cait sith combat at all

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Press buttons and something good might happen seems to describe him pretty well

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

I don't understand what luck does in these games for normal characters but abusing random luck up materia and only using cait sith for his rng roll skills works out pretty ok most of the time I think

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I actually enjoyed cait sith combat - build some atb, get on the moogle, spam dice rolls. The gamey side of it is just staying on and building atb, but the damage output is insane.
I THINK the random dice rolls are a free use of any equipped materia - at least if it isn't it was a coincidence that every event was based on materia I had equipped.
Being on the stuffed toy raises your luck by 100, which is double what any materia can raise it by, you don't need to use luck up materia, just stay mounted.

I just got to the end of gongaga - 63 hours in, and my save at the very start of chapter 7 is 32 hours. Half of my entire game time has been in chapters 7-9, wild.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ok my Queen's Blood deck now has a sick combo with Loveless + Chocobo and Moogle, even if i lose 2 lanes i usually overpower so hard in one lane that I still come out ahead

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Man chapter 12 sure was something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jump on moogle and hold square for a high damage combo and press the triangle button when it changes from dropkick to something more interesting. His skills all sounds weird but they're basically just generally strong and hard hitting with broad use for em.

He's a character that really benefits from materia or equipment that boost atb at start of battle because that moogle really gets things going for him.