Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the girl leaving apples for the concentration campers represents the united states giving military aid to israel

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Praise Anubis

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/JeremyKonyndyk/status/1771010536836137179?s=20
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1771236044043591725?s=20

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

but unironically

Alternatively they could follow a proven Islam centered model that wouldn't require somehow converting 100 million Muslims. Last time the Muslim Brotherhood was in power Morsi made some steps towards a better relationship with Iran, so maybe off the back of Tehran's support for MB affiliate Hamas and some of Islah in Yemen reportedly going over to the Ansar Allah if the MB makes it back into power we could see them join the Axis of Resistance.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I don't know how it never occurred to me that the aid that got delivered via ship inherently wouldn't have a truck to drive it anywhere

Guarantee that it never occured to the Biden administration either

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I don't know how it never occurred to me that the aid that got delivered via ship inherently wouldn't have a truck to drive it anywhere

no one is planning for the logistics of moving aid, because noone is planning on delivering aid

hth

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Israel is gonna bomb the aid once it gets like 2 blocks from the dock, no matter how they try to transport it

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
they’re going to keep doing this song and dance until all the palestinians are dead

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

the pier isnt for aid

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Like Plaut, Alex is objective only as long as his angels (the TPLF) are not involved. His book about the Ethiopian civil war (Evil Days) was really good except when he glossed over both the Anuak and Ogaden genocide because the EPDRF committed them. Probably the 3rd best book on the Ethiopian civil war I’ve read.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

PawParole posted:

Probably the 3rd best book on the Ethiopian civil war I’ve read.

what are the first two?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Aeolius posted:

what are the first two?

Notes from a Hyenas Belly , an autobiography of an Amharic Settler in the Somali region.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/481005.Notes_from_the_Hyena_s_Belly

Like Ho Chi Minh, Like Che Guevara, about the Student Movement and the revolutionary left and it’s betrayal by the Junta.

https://foreignlanguages.press/new-roads/like-ho-chi-minh-like-che-guevara-ian-scott-horst/

I would also add the Emperor- Downfall of an Autocrat-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor_(book)

And for Eritrea, a good book would be I Didn't Do It for You: How the World Betrayed a Small African Nation

Probably the second best history book I’ve read about an African country besides King Leopolds ghost.
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/653992

PawParole has issued a correction as of 06:11 on Mar 23, 2024

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

Very cool, thanks. I started reading Messay Kedebe's Ideology and Elite Conflicts: Autopsy of the Ethiopian Revolution, and as with everything I read, it alerted me to how much more I need to read.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Just get rid of Bibi Netanyahu and all the flak from purity-testing leftists about genocide will go away, because Israel made the desert bloom with its wonderful democracy and everything else is squarely the fault of Netanyahu (and no one else).

Karma Comedian posted:

Netanyahu is a piece of poo poo

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Wait, why is everyone hating on Quds News Network now?

Genuine question, who are the good guys in Syria? Is it the resistance are the Assadists?

https://x.com/eyesonsouth1/status/1771301933287883107?s=46

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Everybody wants to overlook that because Hamas is linked to the Muslim Brotherhood they sided with the rebels in Syria, and those sympathies are still present. It is absolutely not worth caring about.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FirstnameLastname posted:

dont like israel

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Everybody wants to overlook that because Hamas is linked to the Muslim Brotherhood they sided with the rebels in Syria, and those sympathies are still present. It is absolutely not worth caring about.

Hamas fought against Assad in the Syrian civil war, and Iran actually attempted to create a knock-off Hezbollah in Gaza to replace them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabireen_Movement

The Armed Group (Qassim Brigades) still dislikes Iran but the political group is somewhat pro-Iranian, that’s why the Egyptian GIS replaced the IGRC as their main source of arms since 2015 or so.

CheetoVonTito posted:

Genuine question, who are the good guys in Syria? Is it the resistance are the Assadists?

https://x.com/eyesonsouth1/status/1771301933287883107?s=46

Life isn’t a marvel movie so there aren’t good guys or bad guys.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i hate to spill the news but the vast majority of arabs consider assad to be morally equivalent to israel and view him as the most pustulent and murderous tumor of arab fascism. and view arab governments normalization and failure to remove him with a similar level of scorn. so please dont be surpised when people hate him on social media and support his opposition. because people view the struggle against israel and assad as part of a wider freedom and humanity struggle. no one is going to forgive and forget assad for what he did because he provided a template for brutality and mass murder that served as a lesson arab fascists can employ against internal dissent.

im not debating or saying morally one thing or another im just pointing out a reality.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
i miss paul

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

me too.

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

i hate to spill the news but the vast majority of arabs consider assad to be morally equivalent to israel and view him as the most pustulent and murderous tumor of arab fascism. and view arab governments normalization and failure to remove him with a similar level of scorn. so please dont be surpised when people hate him on social media and support his opposition. because people view the struggle against israel and assad as part of a wider freedom and humanity struggle. no one is going to forgive and forget assad for what he did because he provided a template for brutality and mass murder that served as a lesson arab fascists can employ against internal dissent.

im not debating or saying morally one thing or another im just pointing out a reality.

So if I’m picking up what everyone is putting down, Assad is equivalent to SISI, and his sympathizers are equivalent to the dude in this forums step mom lol

So are a majority of Arabs pro the Syrian revolutionists…even though they’re allegedly Israeli/ Al Qaeda backed?

As the previous poster said, there isn’t a clear indication of good and bad here. But is it safe to say both Assadists AND Anti Assadists stand with Palestine?

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

CheetoVonTito posted:

So if I’m picking up what everyone is putting down, Assad is equivalent to SISI, and his sympathizers are equivalent to the dude in this forums step mom lol

Assad isn't equivalent to Sisi, he's a disphit dictator, but unlike the Egyptian regime, the west wants him gone. He's more comparable to Saddam Hussein circa 2003.

Where it gets complicated is the fact of the US, Israel and the Gulf Monarchies backing the opposition. Nobody wants the west to get another comprador in the Arab world.

Sancho Banana has issued a correction as of 11:22 on Mar 23, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

CheetoVonTito posted:

So are a majority of Arabs pro the Syrian revolutionists…even though they’re allegedly Israeli/ Al Qaeda backed?

As the previous poster said, there isn’t a clear indication of good and bad here. But is it safe to say both Assadists AND Anti Assadists stand with Palestine?

no people are not pro-isis and alqaeda and they are mostly with the protestors and stuff, theres wide recognition that the protests got hijacked bigtime by the west and its cronies but theres also recognition that assad enabled that hijacking by starting the war in the forst six months leading to the mass radicalization.

its a tough situation, a friend of mine was one of the people who was an anarchist and early on was organizing protests and local councils, he got picked up early by assad, tortured brutally and died in assads dungeons, so many many people made the choice they would rather take up arms or flee or allow themselves to be hijacked by foreign interests.

so people like me, who witnessed that brutality, are sympathetic for the big number of people who were protesting early like my friend, then when assad started his mass murder campaign at that point it became about pure hatred and revenge. you can even read my post history where im a frothing at the mouth bloodthirsty crazy person at the time because i was driven by a grief and anger and just purely out for revenge, also since egypt got hijacked by Sisi the thought that assad too would stay on was driving people crazy. people wanted a win, any win against fascism and sadly thay didnt come. people immediately recognized ISIS as a tool and a cudgel arab fascism would use against any internal opposition.

and the syrian opposition whatever 'official' position exister, sadly discredited themselves bigtime, whether its by its complete slavery to foreign interests, its stupid factionalism, and other things, they too share a blame.

and people in general are extremely bitter that arab governments allowed assad to do what he did then rewarded him with normalization afterwards, then it became crystal clear that theyre all in the same boat together in this.

so to me, arab inaction in the face of gaza is a complete not surprise, they let america rape iraq, they let everyone rape syria, so its no surprise theyre letting israel do what its doing, because theyre on the same side.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 11:34 on Mar 23, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

no people are not pro-isis and alqaeda and they are mostly with the protestors and stuff, theres wide recognition that the protests got hijacked bigtime by the west and its cronies but theres also recognition that assad enabled that hijacking by starting the war in the forst six months leading to the mass radicalization.

its a tough situation, a friend of mine was one of the people who was an anarchist and early on was organizing protests and local councils, he got picked up early by assad, tortured brutally and died in assads dungeons, so many many people made the choice they would rather take up arms or flee or allow themselves to be hijacked by foreign interests.

so people like me, who witnessed that brutality, are sympathetic for the big number of people who were protesting early like my friend, then when assad started his mass murder campaign at that point it became about pure hatred and revenge. you can even read my post history where im a frothing at the mouth bloodthirsty crazy person at the time because i was driven by a grief and anger and just purely out for revenge, also since egypt got hijacked by Sisi the thought that assad too would stay on was driving people crazy. people wanted a win, any win against fascism and sadly thay didnt come. people immediately recognized ISIS as a tool and a cudgel arab fascism would use against any internal opposition.

and the syrian opposition whatever 'official' position exister, sadly discredited themselves bigtime, whether its by its complete slavery to foreign interests, its stupid factionalism, and other things, they too share a blame.

and people in general are extremely bitter that arab governments allowed assad to do what he did then rewarded him with normalization afterwards, then it became crystal clear that theyre all in the same boat together in this.

so to me, arab inaction in the face of gaza is a complete not surprise, they let america rape iraq, they let everyone rape syria, so its no surprise theyre letting israel do what its doing, because theyre on the same side.

good post

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

PawParole posted:

Hamas fought against Assad in the Syrian civil war, and Iran actually attempted to create a knock-off Hezbollah in Gaza to replace them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabireen_Movement

The Armed Group (Qassim Brigades) still dislikes Iran but the political group is somewhat pro-Iranian, that’s why the Egyptian GIS replaced the IGRC as their main source of arms since 2015 or so.

wrong. israel and the US are bad guys, anyone fighting them is good guys

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
This lady again is at it again

https://twitter.com/FepalB/status/1771300312969601053

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Replace the words Gaza and such with Martha's Vineyard.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Israel bombed Al-Hilu Hospital.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

Thanks for this. poo poo's awful.

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I won’t post the link even though there’s no gore and it’s blacked out.

“ Today, Israeli helicopters dropped a box filled with anti-Hamas propaganda newspapers over the Al-Mawasi area, home to hundreds of thousands of displaced Gazans. The heavy box struck 22-year-old Palestinian Mohammed Saleem, instantly killing him.”

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

PawParole posted:

That's one of the biggest defects in liberal thinking. "X and Y are fighting. X is our enemy. Therefore Y is the good guy."

Sometimes everybody sucks and should have a bad day.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

kazmeyer posted:

That's one of the biggest defects in liberal thinking. "X and Y are fighting. X is our enemy. Therefore Y is the good guy."

Sometimes everybody sucks and should have a bad day.

Thats uhh a really loving old concept

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...b0000#964407801
Southern Command Head, Maj. Gen. Yaron Finkelman, said that the operation in Gaza's Al-Shifa hospital will end when "the last of the terrorists is captured - alive or dead."

According to the Israeli army, during a situation report that Finkelman held on Friday at the Gazan hospital with Intelligence chief Aharon Haliva, Division 162 commander and Naval commando commander, he said that "the activity here is significant. A brave operation that harmed hundreds of terrorists, arrested hundreds of terrorists and resulted in obtaining operational and intelligential assets."

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Southern Command Head, Maj. Gen. Yaron Finkelman, said that the operation in Gaza's Al-Shifa hospital will end when "the last of the terrorists is captured - alive or dead."

According to the Israeli army, during a situation report that Finkelman held on Friday at the Gazan hospital with Intelligence chief Aharon Haliva, Division 162 commander and Naval commando commander, he said that "the activity here is significant. A brave operation that harmed hundreds of terrorists, arrested hundreds of terrorists and resulted in obtaining operational and intelligential assets."

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...8347#1001208347

and just above that...

Families of 81 hostages send letter to Biden citing 'lack of commitment from Netanyahu to the hostage release cause'

The hostages' families announced that families of 81 hostages held in Gaza sent a letter to U.S. President Joe Biden this week, appealing to the President to "convince all parties, including the Israeli Prime Minister, to agree to the deal that you assess is reasonable."

"As Israel's closest ally, we seek your assistance in steering the Israeli Prime Minister towards the right course of action. Above all, the Israeli public yearns for the safe return of the hostages. We are reaching out to you because we are increasingly frustrated and worried about the lack of ongoing communication and commitment from the Israeli Prime Minister and the War Cabinet to the hostage release cause," they wrote.

When will these rubes realise that their friends and relatives were literal human shields for the Israel project?

That's why those Kibbutz were all there so close to Gaza.

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

Maya Fey posted:

definitely make sure the democrats do not suffer any consequences whatsoever for embracing a genocide
Don't be so cynical. Rewards count as consequences.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

There's recurring confusion in the thread about this, but as some posters have already said, the Arab bourgeois regimes have hated Palestinians for 50+ years and actively collaborated in Zionist oppression. This article gives a brief overview: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2024/03/17/lqki-m17.html

quote:

As Crocker explained, Jordan’s King Hussein was able to defeat the PLO in what became known as “Black September”, “not just because of the prowess of the Jordanian military but also because Syria refused to provide air cover to the Syrian tanks supporting the Palestinians as promised” when they came under Jordanian attack, forcing the brigade to withdraw. This left the Palestinians isolated, and thousands were massacred by Hussein’s forces in pogroms. “That Syrian air force,” writes Crocker, “was under command of a general named Hafez al-Assad [later ruler of Syria], whose hatred and fear of all things Palestinian was intense.”

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

500excf type r posted:

Thats uhh a really loving old concept

"The enemy of my enemy can be useful" is fine.

It's "the enemy of my enemy is by default a moral paragon and can do no wrong" where we run into issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Canasta_Nasty posted:

There's recurring confusion in the thread about this, but as some posters have already said, the Arab bourgeois regimes have hated Palestinians for 50+ years and actively collaborated in Zionist oppression. This article gives a brief overview: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2024/03/17/lqki-m17.html

Basically to the extent they could co-opt or use them for their own ends.

they’ve had no actual outside support from any government. a rule of thumb is that any government upping the Palestinians is lying.