Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yeah dont be me and take like 1600mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours because of menstrual pain and then have bleeding ulcers and an ulcerated esophagus when i was 17.

:rip:

The doctor told me just take ibuprofen for it! Thanks doctor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pooky posted:

I picked this up, should have it on the 1st if anyone wants me to post pictures of the product I received. idk if the deal will still be up then though.

Post 'em, also I still have the $30 case of 1804 vflex from last year that I haven't dipped into

Apr 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah dont be me and take like 1600mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours because of menstrual pain and then have bleeding ulcers and an ulcerated esophagus when i was 17.

This country is absolutely insane about pain relievers

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This country is absolutely insane about pain relievers

I mostly think that doctors really don't believe women when they say "this pain is so bad it makes me loving nauseated and break out into cold sweats and I cant function" so when they say, oh just take some ibuprofen about it - they dont really understand what that means.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

ok but the bottle clearly says not to do that

Apr 7, 2003

Scarabrae posted:

ok but the bottle clearly says not to do that

But physicians do say to do that

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

But physicians do say to do that

no physician has ever told me to take 1600mg which is twice the dose of rx strength 800 mg you are only supposed to take 1 pill every 6-8 hours

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Scarabrae posted:

no physician has ever told me to take 1600mg which is twice the dose of rx strength 800 mg you are only supposed to take 1 pill every 6-8 hours

I actually specifically had the doc tell me to double up, it will be fine. He was pretty dog poo poo as pediatricians go. Ignored horrific signs of child abuse my whole childhood and was an antibiotic spigot.

re: painkillers - i also had another doctor almost gently caress me up as an adult because again, for a burst ovarian cyst, an ER doc tried to hit me with a high naproxen sodium dose aka aleve which seeeeeeverely is bad for anyone with GERD or a history of ulcers etc. I luckily was cognizant enough through the pain to be like "please revise your prescription" lol

I think I literally said "That's a bad idea for me to take" and he goes uhh why "I have a history of ulcers" and then he kind of ... like you could see the wheels turning in his head and then he goes oh uhh how about some tramadol and i was like ... you know what whatever. sure.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 00:57 on Mar 23, 2024

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’ve been prescribed 2x800mg ibuprofen 4x a day “as needed” like, many times for bad sprains and burns and stuff.

I didn’t take that much because I read up but it was the prescription.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
*sweating profusely trying to decide between 'covid goons are idiots listening to their doctors' and 'covid goons are attacking the medical profession again'*

Apr 7, 2003

tuyop posted:

I’ve been prescribed 2x800mg ibuprofen 4x a day “as needed” like, many times for bad sprains and burns and stuff.

I didn’t take that much because I read up but it was the prescription.

I'm a turbo drunk and don't take painkillers because I'd like to continue to live and be a turbo drunk while looking at the birds, riding my bike, and otherwise enjoying life, but I pay attention to what my wife and my friends and family are told to take by their physicians and it's pretty loony. Just load up on liver-killing meds, it's cool. They're OTC so they must be safe

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Anyone see this? Promising for our immunocompromised friends:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-roundup-march-22-2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oh boy a new monoclonal, that'll probably last at least until what, August?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shiroc posted:

*sweating profusely trying to decide between 'covid goons are idiots listening to their doctors' and 'covid goons are attacking the medical profession again'*

*decides to be safe and posts two SAD threads*

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

DickParasite posted:

*decides to be safe and posts two SAD threads*

Now now, we have to be fair to our fellow goons. The latter is for a sad thread and the former is for a mock thread to keep people energized about how we’re bad people who deserve what’s coming to us in the next sad thread.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Oh boy a new monoclonal, that'll probably last at least until what, August?

"VYD222 is a fully human IgG1 mAb demonstrating broad and potent in vitro neutralizing activity across SARS-CoV-2 variants including XBB.1.5. VYD222 is a re-engineered version of adintrevimab..."

So, an og 2003-era SARS antibody that was tested on XBB. Oof. And requires a hour long IV infusion instead of a shot. And a mandatory two hour clinical monitoring period after the shot. Hope all the immunocompromised people getting it have drat good masks for hanging around the infusion center for 3-4 hours getting coughed on.

I definitely qualify but I'm not sure if I'll bother.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rescue Toaster posted:

"VYD222 is a fully human IgG1 mAb demonstrating broad and potent in vitro neutralizing activity across SARS-CoV-2 variants including XBB.1.5. VYD222 is a re-engineered version of adintrevimab..."

So, an og 2003-era SARS antibody that was tested on XBB. Oof. And requires a hour long IV infusion instead of a shot. And a mandatory two hour clinical monitoring period after the shot. Hope all the immunocompromised people getting it have drat good masks for hanging around the infusion center for 3-4 hours getting coughed on.

I definitely qualify but I'm not sure if I'll bother.

they tested it against jn.1 too. 70% efficacy over 70 days. better than the booster lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

Isn't the blip because their surveillance never thought to update their metric to include JN.1 until someone pointed it out?

https://twitter.com/MichaelSFuhrer/status/1770935488683167886

Oh poo poo I hadn't seen that
:doh:

Edit: LMAO I swear I'm not a :tinfoil: guy but c'mon now

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Covid hospitalizations are still plateauing here in Melbourne Australia and not really dropping

https://www.health.vic.gov.au/infectious-diseases/victorian-covid-19-surveillance-report

The wastewater measures have dropped real low though so the state government is moving to fortnightly reporting due to "low covid activity"
https://twitter.com/dbRaevn/status/1765874382482928056

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 08:16 on Mar 23, 2024

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Oracle posted:

they tested it against jn.1 too. 70% efficacy over 70 days. better than the booster lol

That’s honestly better protection than any other therapeutic we’ve come up with that’s currently effective. A rapidly mutating global pandemic has trillions of chances at immune escape.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
https://twitter.com/JoePajak/status/1771360307094704167

:smithfrog:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
as long as society continues to treat the disabled like that, it's gonna continue to abhor acknowledgement of the pandemic.

our version of events will not make it into the future like this

as others pointed out, acknowledging covid is an out-group signifier not just from some particular in-group but from ALL of modern society, and everyone knows how they'd be treated as the out-group of that (homeless, disabled, weirdos, etc) so even thinking of an out-group signifier gets the shame reaction. gets the in-group-required aggression toward wrongthink, no matter how righteous

it's not the stupidity that motivates denial. it's the terror of each other

maxwellhill has issued a correction as of 11:29 on Mar 23, 2024

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
:negative:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

hmm pretty big difference between these two

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 13:07 on Mar 23, 2024

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

hmm pretty big difference between these two

whole lot of smoothing going on

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
my annual checkup is in a few weeks. wanna know if we’re gonna be at the lowest point of the year or half the peak of the year

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/fitterhappieraj/status/1771493230967685615?s=46

study in frontiers suggests COVID may promote cancer by a mechanism other than lowering T cell counts

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
China entering a JN1 wave. is it their first? I don’t know

https://x.com/covid19_disease/status/1771353488003617237?s=46

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Look at all those masks in the Chinese hospital photo.

We could have a deadly ebola outbreak in the US with people bleeding everywhere and dying on the street and people would not change any behaviors ever again haha

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was catching public transport into the city the other day and there was an old lady wearing latex gloves and dicknosing a surgical mask. Hadn't seen gloves for a while

It's real fuckin' weird that we're almost four and a half years onto this pandemic and someone was stillgoing to all the effort to wear gloves but was half-assing masks so badly

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 14:40 on Mar 23, 2024

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Look at all those masks in the Chinese hospital photo.

We could have a deadly ebola outbreak in the US with people bleeding everywhere and dying on the street and people would not change any behaviors ever again haha

Monkeypox ended up not being a big deal, thank God, but when I told my brother "Hey, there might be this other disease coming up," his response was something along the lines of "Well, I'm just not doing any more diseases, sorry."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Animal-Mother posted:

Monkeypox ended up not being a big deal, thank God, but when I told my brother "Hey, there might be this other disease coming up," his response was something along the lines of "Well, I'm just not doing any more diseases, sorry."

Roman person in 536 who is dealing with societal upheaval and war, when told that a giant volcano has blotted out the sun and is killing crops worldwide: “sorry, not gonna deal with any more disasters”

Apr 7, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

This is one of the big takeaways from the pandemic, well-off comfortable people thinking they can just opt out of material conditions that they don’t like. What a country!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

oh no the economyyyy

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I saw two rare sights at the grocery store. I saw one person with a surgical mask on, and then a cloth mask over that. A second person had a buckbill n95 with both bands around their neck just below the ears and the nose piece just almost falling off the tip of their nose.

Classic 2021 mask choices, really brought me back.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

oh no the economyyyy

it's definitely those bastard malingerers and not the entire political apparatus of the UK for the last 70 years being "punch self in dick and balls over and over and over, see what happens"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Salt Fish posted:

a buckbill n95

3M please

this could be a goldmine

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I've seen a few duckbills around and they're always worn correctly. I feel like those masks already look silly enough that if you're going to procure and wear them, you probably know what you're doing.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

silicone thrills posted:

Pre-Covid, I saw a doctor for a cough a few times right before I went on trips out of the country, thinking that it might be the beginnings of a cold or something, and he just told me to take a shitload of ibuprofen several times a day. Didn't have any muscle pain or anything, just a cough. It seemed like a weird thing to suggest, but hey, he was the doctor, and I was just some dude. Turns out that my instincts were right. How about that?

Fuckin Swedish...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

I've seen a few duckbills around and they're always worn correctly. I feel like those masks already look silly enough that if you're going to procure and wear them, you probably know what you're doing.

100%. if i see a duckbill, i assume that is someone who knows their poo poo.