Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Steve Yun posted:

An example I heard was that quantum entanglement is more like cutting a coin in half and giving the halves to two people. If one person looks at their coin half and it’s heads, they know that the other person’s coin half is tails

i mean that sounds like communication? Can I pay my rent in half coins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

deported to Canada posted:

I'm not a scientist but part of me thinks if they could do that already then the 3 body problem wouldn't be an issue at all.

Being able to predict that their planet will be swallowed by one of their suns doesn't actually stop that from happening. They're able to predict chaotic and stable periods to the point where they're no longer at risk of being wiped out in the same way that earlier generations were, as we see in the game. But their planet is still going into a sun eventually. They know that it happened to all the other planets in their system. So they have to leave before it happens to them

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i mean that sounds like communication? Can I pay my rent in half coins?

See my post on the previous page. I edited it a bit to explain that stuff as far as I understand it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

cant cook creole bream posted:

See my post on the previous page. I edited it a bit to explain that stuff as far as I understand it.

It was a very helpful post

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I guess the other thing about the quantum entanglement handwave for FTL communication is that the limitations we are discussing are based on the knowledge we have about quantum particles right now. Just as Newtonian mechanics turned out to be a very good approximation until Einstein came along, it may be the case that somewhere on the path between discovering general relativity and harnessing the ability to unfold 11 dimensions of a proton to inscribe a supercomputer on its surface, currently unknown physical behaviours and properties will be discovered. Which gives the author a bit of wiggle room

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

If you think the sophons are nuts then let's just hope they get to do a season or two more so we can get to the actual crazy poo poo.

Reflecting on it a bit more today, I really did not like Auggie's character. The other actors did a pretty good job, not sure about her.

Also answer your loving phone, people.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I mean, yes. It's science fiction. While that seems like total magic, it's not the most ridiculous idea of that genre. It's quasi pure fantasy, but it's a really cool concept and it's interesting and fun to explore that so I'm perfectly willing to accept it as the premise of the story.

It does have a little bit of a scientific basis though. String theory expects that there are 6 higher spatial dimensions. So maybe you could be able to unfold that?

On the other hand, various mechanics imply that 3 dimensions (plus time) is all there is. At least we don't seem to interact with the other stuff. For example if the sun had a hidden fourth dimension, the stuff which is just barely of outside of 3-dimensional plane would also have a gravitational pull and would basically drive us towards our sun. In that case gravitation would grow by a factor r^4 rather than r^3 as typically observed.

So if there are more dimensions, we live on a 3 dimensional plane and are only affected by those three dimensional objects on out plane. So unless there's stuff which transcends our boring objects and exists in higher planes, the idea of higher dimensions is moot.

There's also the (to me stupid) idea of thin dimensions. Basically that just means that the fourth and higher dimensions exists, but are so thin that they have no measurable influence. So gravity would still scale cubically, just because there isn't much happening in the fourth plane.

Incidentally, I think I looked up a lot of this theoretical physics stuff when I read those books for the first time. There are some interesting mind experiments in there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 23, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The thin dimensions idea sounds familiar and I agree it's one of those things that sounds ridiculous because it falls into the realm of Russell's Teapot except even worse because definitionally you can't prove it exists

Interesting to think about though, especially with how the theme of hypothesis vs empiricism runs through the whole trilogy

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Finished the season. It owns. I love how much more heart and emotion this version added to the story, especially in the second half.

The only thing I'm kinda bummed about is that we didn't see the Pacifist's story. That's one of my favorite segments in the first book.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Whelp, now I'm going to reread all three books. I remember racing through them during the first lockdown.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Finished it, liked it a lot, want to see more right now.

How far did the show go in relation to the books?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Seeing twitter people react to the show is rending my mind to shreds. I feel like I'm dying of an aneurysm.

https://twitter.com/XVanFleet/status/1770915373627371821

https://twitter.com/phxOutreach/status/1770918510178250797

https://twitter.com/Restitutor_/status/1770920153817010680

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

isaboo posted:

It hits the main beats. It's funny to watch them skip through a giant scifi tome to fit it into an 8 episodes netflix show. A lot of tension build and release in the novel (plot twist, mystery box reveals) is glossed over in the show as a single line of exposition. Which makes sense but it kind of a burn on the book readers for expecting the same emotional resonance. Consensus is that the show has way, way more heart because it actually centres the characters/character growth. Whereas the books are more like golden age scifi with the characters there just to have facilitate Cool Scifi Ideas a l a Greg Egan or whatever. It's like greg egan light. bring on the greg egan anthology series netflix! : p butcher that one!

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

isaboo posted:

show spoilers (just in case) - Episode 5 is basically the end of the first book. The last three episodes blend together the first couple of chapters from books 2 and 3; mostly the setup stuff. They mixed in elements from all three books that happen around the same time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FPyat posted:

Seeing twitter people react to the show is rending my mind to shreds. I feel like I'm dying of an aneurysm.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

FPyat posted:

Delete that poo poo yesterday

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm only on episode 3, but as a big fan of the books i'm impressed with the show so far. I'm kind of surprised, they've managed to make the show the opposite of the books, where the characters are somewhat likable/relatable, but I think the show does a worse job selling some of the big ideas/dramatic set pieces. Specifically the blinking cosmic background radiation felt kind of flat in the show. They nailed the 3 body game though. It seems like they've been very efficient at collapsing several characters together, and have already introduced [spoiler] almost every major character from the book that I can remember, maybe with the exception of Luo Ji?[spoiler]. Excited to finish the rest of the season, and hope it gets a season 2. Hopefully with an even higher budget, they're gonna need it.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
The showrunnerd missed a few tricks that were in the books and could have been included easily: one I noticed was that, in the books, they justify using the nanowire on the boat because even if they slice the hard drive up, the incision would be so small and precise that they could literally just put the two sides back together and it would work perfectly. It would have been a cool moment if the drive was indeed sliced up but Clarence just pushes them together and it still works. It would also give him a much-needed badass moment.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
One thing I wished they’d put in was the quote “physics doesn’t exist”

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

watched it, owns, ready for the droplet

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

One thing they missed is the comedy of the people in the game panicking and screaming "DEHYDRATE!"

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Steve Yun posted:

An example I heard was that quantum entanglement is more like cutting a coin in half and giving the halves to two people. If one person looks at their coin half and it’s heads, they know that the other person’s coin half is tails

I think this analogy breaks down because it implies hidden variables? When you give the two halves to them, it's already decided who has heads and who has tails, they just don't know it yet. In actual quantum entanglement, this isn't the case. The value of the property of the thing you're measuring is only set when you're actually measuring.

Or something like that, I'm no quantum or any other physicist.

And another this makes no sense moment: When Saul gets shot, his bulletproof vest takes the hit. Goes to the hospital, gets discharged, and keeps wearing the same vest. What the hell? (episode 8)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah you’re correct

So you’re blindfolded and hand coin halves in envelopes to two people

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Steve Yun posted:

Oh yeah you’re correct

So you’re blindfolded and hand coin halves in envelopes to two people

Still hidden variables. It just breaks down if you think about it in macroscopic terms. Like the cat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
i tear a shopping list in half and give one half to my friend. We both agree to buy the stuff on our half of the list.

i open my piece of paper up. It says screw. I know that my friend is going to buy the driver

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1771441105743278389?s=46

Exposition dump guy loves exposition dump show based on exposition dump novels

(Also recommended the tencent version, he loves all versions)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 23, 2024

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
How does the Panama Canal scene compare in the Tencent version?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=er1JDr4ML5Q&t=1420&pp=ygUOVGVuY2VudCAzIGJvZHk%3D

See for yourself (24 mins in)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Just a minor thing but I dislike the font and style they choose for the countdown. It's less imposing and scary and more "You wouldn't steal a car!"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Starting on episode 4 right now. This is pretty good so far, but I'm a little disappointed with the video game. The titular Three Body Problem is just that there's no stable orbit for the aliens' planet? They could have just said that in a single sentence! The four "levels" were figuring out a.) they need to use science and b.) there are three suns and c.) they need to save the people and d.) the planet is never going to be safe for long. Like this is not a complicated scenario here, you didn't need to make a futuristic VR game for people to understand!

I hope they do more with it going forward (either the VR or the 3 Body Problem) because that felt like a heck of an anticlimax.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Steve Yun posted:

See for yourself (24 mins in)

That's pretty cool, in the differences and similarities. I can see what people mean in saying that the Chinese version is padded to hell and back.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
One thing the Chinese version did smartly was to have it happen late afternoon so that the dusk would hide cheap looking cgi. In the Netflix version some shots looked great in the daytime sun and other shots looked cheap

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

FPyat posted:

That's pretty cool, in the differences and similarities. I can see what people mean in saying that the Chinese version is padded to hell and back.

Interesting that the Tencent version makes it look like, at most, half a dozen people died but the Netflix version has it be a loving massacre including kids.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Starting on episode 4 right now. This is pretty good so far, but I'm a little disappointed with the video game. The titular Three Body Problem is just that there's no stable orbit for the aliens' planet? They could have just said that in a single sentence! The four "levels" were figuring out a.) they need to use science and b.) there are three suns and c.) they need to save the people and d.) the planet is never going to be safe for long. Like this is not a complicated scenario here, you didn't need to make a futuristic VR game for people to understand!

I hope they do more with it going forward (either the VR or the 3 Body Problem) because that felt like a heck of an anticlimax.

You need to keep watching. I can't remember when this is resolved but the idea is that the people playing it sympathise with them and want to help them. It's a recruitment tool and also an initiation device to weed people out.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BastardySkull posted:

You need to keep watching. I can't remember when this is resolved but the idea is that the people playing it sympathise with them and want to help them. It's a recruitment tool and also an initiation device to weed people out.

Meanwhile the segments of the book that deal with it are so loving dull I immediately hated any character involved in its creation. So the exact opposite effect.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I really enjoyed them so each to their own. They are probably the best bits of the first book other than the stuff at Red Coast, especially the human computer

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I’m seeing some complaints coming from Chinese social media that if they were gonna westernize the cast, they should have completely westernized it instead of having it partially Chinese. According to them, the effect of keeping Ye Wenjie and the Angry Commies is putting China in a bad light and making the westerners the heroes who have to fix the problems the Chinese caused

I’m seeing plenty of bad takes on twitter saying “See? Chinese bad!” despite the source author being Chinese, so I’m inclined to think the Chinese netizens maybe have a point

If a western adaptation were to change Ye Wenjie to another setting, what would work?

100% agreed. I had this exact same thought while watching the first episode. When I read the book, I thought it was an interesting insight into a place and era that I didn't know very much about, and what I did know came through the lens of American capitalist propaganda. Making the "good guys" all westerners completely changes the meaning of that, even if the suffering that Ye Wenjie experienced in the show was no better or worse than in the book.

If they wanted to "westernize" the cast while keeping the theme intact, they could have made her a black American woman who witnessed her father being lynched.

Enjoying it so far though.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I never understood the point of the game either.

And having seen the 2 versions of the Judgment Day incident now, I do like the Netflix version a lot more.

I do wonder why they went with 3 WFs instead of the 4 they have in the book. Optimistic take: they already have the second season mapped out so they already know what they want to do with them and what they want to/have to cut.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ep 5: hooly gently caress that was gory as hell but lol cmon that was a really convoluted way to destroy a ship if it was going to end up as burning rubble that you hoped to be able to pluck a hard drive out of. Felt like you could have just shot it with a torpedo for about the same chances of recovering the drive intact. I was wondering if it was gonna get cut into pieces along with Evans at the end there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

It was more about how you deal with a bunch of fanatics who would destroy what they are after once they realize what's going on, before they can realize what's going on.