Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
As someone who isn't good at deck building, does anyone have any tips for cards I might have overlooked for a midgardsommar deck? I get a lot of value out of replacement cards to pump the snake and reassert board control when I've lost rank spaces but I got a huge swathe of of them at once and quickly figured out that you typically don't want more than 4-6 in a deck but I didnt really see a lot of cards that destroy enemy cards and I'm not running the tonnbery king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I do not understand cait sith combat at all

Cat do magic and punching

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think what confuses me is

- half the characters in this game are little ninjas that dodge halfway across the map and can do combos and all that

- dodging with this guy literally makes you jump off his moogle which seems bad? Or maybe good?

- his moogle actually self attacks which I didn’t realize even when you sit on it

- his normal attack is weird and floaty and I can’t tell what’s going on

Maybe I need more abilities for it to make sense

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
He's built like Barret but punches stuff instead and can also cast magic like Aerith but wacky and random.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just like Aerith! XD

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cait's dodge de-moogles him but as long as it's alive you can press triangle to re-mount.

Mostly yeah you want a First Strike or similar on him to use Let's Ride. Then just hold square and the rest handles itself as he'll roll straight into the enemy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think what confuses me is

- half the characters in this game are little ninjas that dodge halfway across the map and can do combos and all that

- dodging with this guy literally makes you jump off his moogle which seems bad? Or maybe good?

- his moogle actually self attacks which I didn’t realize even when you sit on it

- his normal attack is weird and floaty and I can’t tell what’s going on

Maybe I need more abilities for it to make sense

I made an effort post about this that might help

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

That link doesn't go where you think it does.
edit: guess it does and my browser was broken I dunno

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 24, 2024

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nice! Thanks. I love love love the combat in this game so when it gave me a new character I wanted to make sure I was learning him properly. Every single character is super fun my constant struggle is benching people

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My singularly focused nerd rage prevented me from actually quitting the ”kill the mind flayer first” challenge and I got it done (Easy mode lol)

Cloud/Malboro Orb/Magnify & Sleep/ATB Boost

And then Yuffie and Barrett with just kind of my normal loadout for them but everyone had stuff to enhance ATB gains.

Took a couple attempts to be able to sleep the two brains far away enough from the mind flayer that going to town on it didn’t wake the brains up but once I got that start it was over for the flayer pretty quickly. Only had to re-sleep the little guys once or twice.

Back to Dynamic. That fight wasn’t fun but I’d be annoyed if I hadn’t done it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Dont you love it when attacks you think dont have splash damage actually do and the adds just vaporize around the target

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If anyone is wondering why their trophy for mastering all the skills and limit breaks isn’t popping it’s because you need the purple folio skills too(the elemental attacks). You don’t need the synergy abilities though

RatHat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 23, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm still not jazzed on the Cosmo canyon map area but I'm slightly less mad at it after I realised I missed a big stretch of gliding courses that feed into each other because I just wanted to jump off poo poo

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't understand what luck does in these games for normal characters but abusing random luck up materia and only using cait sith for his rng roll skills works out pretty ok most of the time I think

Luck increases crit chance. I think on the equipment screen you can click in the left stick and it'll show additional stats like crit chance and crit damage. You can see how luck up materia affects crit chance there.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cosmo Canyon got a lot easier for me when I realized I could just fast travel back to any glide points.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm still not jazzed on the Cosmo canyon map area but I'm slightly less mad at it after I realised I missed a big stretch of gliding courses that feed into each other because I just wanted to jump off poo poo

Rhonne posted:

Cosmo Canyon got a lot easier for me when I realized I could just fast travel back to any glide points.

Yeah, fast travel + noticing that they’re all numbered and seeing if you missed any really helps

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
God the six person bouts are such a slog. There are so many and they keep repeating the same enemies but for the opposite party of characters

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Luck increases crit chance. I think on the equipment screen you can click in the left stick and it'll show additional stats like crit chance and crit damage. You can see how luck up materia affects crit chance there.

Luck for Cait Sith specifically also increases the chance of better effects on his skills I think. Like Fortune Telling and Roll the Dice

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well I finally hit the final bosses on Hard and wow. God drat. I was warned but I was not prepared for how bad it was. I really have to admire Square Enix's talent for taking scenarios that are amazing in abstract and arranging them in a way that's artisanally engineered to produce the worst possible player experience.

Just letting us skip the cutscenes alone would get this 50% of the way out of the hole it's in, I reckon. At least with the baffling retry menu you can defuse the impact by just knowing in advance what each of the options actually does.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fedule posted:

Well I finally hit the final bosses on Hard and wow. God drat. I was warned but I was not prepared for how bad it was. I really have to admire Square Enix's talent for taking scenarios that are amazing in abstract and arranging them in a way that's artisanally engineered to produce the worst possible player experience.

Just letting us skip the cutscenes alone would get this 50% of the way out of the hole it's in, I reckon. At least with the baffling retry menu you can defuse the impact by just knowing in advance what each of the options actually does.

Not being able to skip the cutscenes between phases was certainly a choice

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
(final boss sequence) So Bahamut just more or less immediately opens with Gigaflare and it's only because of Reprieve that it's not an automatic game over but it's just five seconds after that instead. Not really sure what the theory here even is.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 23, 2024

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Books On Tape posted:

I just got the rune blade in Junon. I’ve been using Cloud as primarily a physical attacker and this swords physical attack is poo poo. Is there something I’m missing with it or should I just learn the ability and ditch it?

Spellblade, Cloud’s synergy skill with Aerith and Yuffie is ridiculously powerful and scales with magic. The runeblade also has an upgrade to increase synergy damage. Cloud+Aerith, in particular, wreck enemies as a magic focused pair because both can get really high magic, Cloud can build both characters’s atb with spell blade and Aerith has wards to make their magic even stronger.

Wamsutta posted:

I can’t do enough damage quickly enough to these things to stagger anything let alone do it with 2 characters when one gets bound, this fight is straight up enraging lol

This is from a couple days ago, but Cloud’s focused thrust will take them from zero to almost fully staggered with one shot if you hit them with it when they’re blocking. Build atb on Cloud, switch to another character, then hit them with focused thrust as soon as it starts blocking

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

As someone who isn't good at deck building, does anyone have any tips for cards I might have overlooked for a midgardsommar deck? I get a lot of value out of replacement cards to pump the snake and reassert board control when I've lost rank spaces but I got a huge swathe of of them at once and quickly figured out that you typically don't want more than 4-6 in a deck but I didnt really see a lot of cards that destroy enemy cards and I'm not running the tonnbery king

This deck won literally everything for me. Including the final fight in the QB questline.

Sub out yuffie for another Gi Specter if you don’t have her yet. You want to start with Heatseeker/Joker/Midgardsormr, place Heatseeker in the middle and then build Joker and Midgardsormr on both sides. Then just build to a Bomb in the middle lane surrounded by 8 dudes and just blow it up. Cockatrice is there if the opponent has their own Joker/Midgardsormr and Bomb explosions can’t kill them, or just targeted deleting of problem cards. In my opinion, it’s the single most broken and can’t-lose deck in the game. It’s so ridiculously powerful.

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
My wife, who does not play video games and knows nothing about Final Fantasy, has been watching me play on and off at nights after putting the small child to bed.

I just got to the chapter 8 intro. Her reaction was priceless. :allears:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
(literal final boss) How the gently caress do you stop whichever party member you aren't controlling from running directly into whisper cannon/tornado and immediately dying? I am out of MP from reviving Aerith so many times because she just cannot not die, which on reflection is a very funny meta joke but also complete bullshit

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Fedule posted:

(literal final boss) How the gently caress do you stop whichever party member you aren't controlling from running directly into whisper cannon/tornado and immediately dying? I am out of MP from reviving Aerith so many times because she just cannot not die, which on reflection is a very funny meta joke but also complete bullshit

are you talking about the two sided beam that spins like a fall guys game?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fedule posted:

I guess I'm not sure, I didn't seem to have that problem. Are you switching characters during the windup as it starts? iirc when I saw it coming I just stuck to the character I was already on until it was well underway, only switching once I knew both characters were in safe spots.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I’m completely stuck having been turned over to free range in Cosmo Canyon. There’s places all over my map I literally can’t find any way to get to. All the chocco ramps have ropes blocking them, so if I’m supposed to be using these to glide around I’m baffled as to how. There’s no in game prompt or information telling me wtf to do at this point. wtf.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wamsutta posted:

I’m completely stuck having been turned over to free range in Cosmo Canyon. There’s places all over my map I literally can’t find any way to get to. All the chocco ramps have ropes blocking them, so if I’m supposed to be using these to glide around I’m baffled as to how. There’s no in game prompt or information telling me wtf to do at this point. wtf.

The ones blocked by ropes are for the Glide de Chocobo side quest / mini game. There are other ramps marked by yellow paint and chocobo tracks that you can just use, scattered around the map. If you look around for the hovering plants, they're generally set in paths that lead away from ramps so you can find some of them that way.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Only 3 ramps have ropes, and those are for the minigame/sidequest chocobo glides, (which is dumb) but they're not the most useful ramps anyway

You can casually walk all the way to Cosmo Canyon (the town) without touching a single ramp or even getting a chocobo

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
Oh no, if I don't win this Chocobo Race, my friends and dog and cat will be sold into sexual slavery!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm on the final boss and it's really loving lame that I took all materia off of aerith because I thought she wasn't coming back but she did and now she's loving useless and I don't have the option to change her gear unless I restart the whole encounter.

Edit: aight he wasn't so tough even with a massively gimped Aerith.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 23, 2024

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Thundarr posted:

The ones blocked by ropes are for the Glide de Chocobo side quest / mini game. There are other ramps marked by yellow paint and chocobo tracks that you can just use, scattered around the map. If you look around for the hovering plants, they're generally set in paths that lead away from ramps so you can find some of them that way.

I did the mini games, I just finished the Gi Caves. No in-game indication of how I get to anywhere other than the story quest.

This is what my map looks like. I can’t get into the middle or to any of my quests for love or money. I have spent an hour trying and I’m stumped.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Corel protorelic:

So, is Kid G a reference to something? He seems very specific, but I have no idea what the joke is.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Capfalcon posted:

Corel protorelic:

So, is Kid G a reference to something? He seems very specific, but I have no idea what the joke is.

He is literally one of the goblins from the OG game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Frankston posted:

I'm on the final boss and it's really loving lame that I took all materia off of aerith because I thought she wasn't coming back but she did and now she's loving useless and I don't have the option to change her gear unless I restart the whole encounter.

not sure why you did that in the first place when cait returned all his equipment automatically

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wamsutta posted:

I did the mini games, I just finished the Gi Caves. No in-game indication of how I get to anywhere other than the story quest.

This is what my map looks like. I can’t get into the middle or to any of my quests for love or money. I have spent an hour trying and I’m stumped.

Gliding Range #1 is next to the Chocobo stable, like literally fifty feet SW of the entrance. There’s also one just south of the bridge to Cosmo Canyon. Try jumping off of one.

There’s also an elevator in Cosmo Canyon by the shops that takes you down.

Edit: I just zoomed in on your map and you have Gliding Range 1 marked as a fast travel point. Go there and choose by Chocobo and then just run toward.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 23, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
(still literal final boss) the loving number of times i have eaten poo poo because of the extremely cramped invisible walls around the featureless arena. why the gently caress is it so small and why the gently caress would they make it seem big when it isn't.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Gliding Range #1 is next to the Chocobo stable, like literally fifty feet SW of the entrance. There’s also one just south of the bridge to Cosmo Canyon. Try jumping off of one.

There’s also an elevator in Cosmo Canyon by the shops that takes you down.

Edit: I just zoomed in on your map and you have Gliding Range 1 marked as a fast travel point. Go there and choose by Chocobo and then just run toward.

Ugh how did I miss that. Thanks. I still don’t remember anything other than you pointing that out as a “use this to get down into the canyon” path lol.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vogon Poetry Slam posted:

My wife, who does not play video games and knows nothing about Final Fantasy, has been watching me play on and off at nights after putting the small child to bed.

I just got to the chapter 8 intro. Her reaction was priceless. :allears:

My wife keeps asking if I stopped playing final fantasy and I’m like no, the fact that I’m doing Bird Mario Kart is still final fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

NieR Occomata posted:

This deck won literally everything for me. Including the final fight in the QB questline.

Sub out yuffie for another Gi Specter if you don’t have her yet. You want to start with Heatseeker/Joker/Midgardsormr, place Heatseeker in the middle and then build Joker and Midgardsormr on both sides. Then just build to a Bomb in the middle lane surrounded by 8 dudes and just blow it up. Cockatrice is there if the opponent has their own Joker/Midgardsormr and Bomb explosions can’t kill them, or just targeted deleting of problem cards. In my opinion, it’s the single most broken and can’t-lose deck in the game. It’s so ridiculously powerful.

I think Archdragon is better than Cockatrice in most cases(and it gives you another rank 1 play) but yeah this deck is solid. Deathclaw might fit in there somewhere too