Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4PiYI8TSyM

this is so stupid

it doesn't even

show the vr stuff!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Feature Length? Jesus that sounds uncomfortable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Like it's not just that it's VR, which in any case often requires expensive hardware that most people don't have access to

It's exclusive to a specific VR platform so you might not even have the right headset!

it's dumb!!!!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4PiYI8TSyM

this is so stupid

it doesn't even

show the vr stuff!!!!

"The world's first full-length VR film."

Yeah... we can tell. Oof. I saw better visuals with the 360 degree Gorillaz music video.

Though that does give me an idea of a way to play wish surround sound as a means of guiding a VR film so you don't miss major parts. Use sound cues and rely on the user's sense of hearing and direction to point their view towards the action.

But maybe use something that doesn't look like a PS3 cutscene, just saying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why are they so obsessed with weird tech gimmicks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

presenting gundam wing in smell-o-vision

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Well, in this case because it's a permanent bragging point, among other things. Being first is something you can never lose, and if VR movies become a big thing, it's going to be like having the first talkie. Good publicity, if you can swing it, even if the odds aren't great.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

Same reason they're still on the metaverse poo poo: looks good to shareholders

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

presenting gundam wing in smell-o-vision

Look, it is important that you know Trieze canonically smells like roses at all times

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I've never watched a VR film, but that trailer seemed to show traditional movie cuts. Wouldn't that be extremely disorienting in VR? If your position in a 3d dimensional space keeps teleporting around, wouldn't that be a miserable experience?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DarthVeda00/status/1771159937084788966?t=B0vgivdvh0J-6yrxux8psA&s=19

Watching this fight like the aussie Jeager pilots from Pacific Rim going "Come on Chuchu! Kick his rear end!"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm picking char, the guy from the good Gundam show

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You'll change your tune when they release Gundam CCCC: Chuchu's Cross Counter

https://twitter.com/vdrawsrobots/status/1771162426202796486?t=WvKKNOW3pmjBsbz-hzRR0A&s=19

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 22, 2024

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The God of Death has fallen, Duo Maxwell has been taken out by Haman Karn!
Take a hike Athrun, Loran Cehack wins this round!

Today’s other matchup is for the fighting women! It’s Allenby Beardsley versus Suletta Mercury!
https://twitter.com/darthveda00/status/1771159953656385547

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The God of Death has fallen, Duo Maxwell has been taken out by Haman Karn!
Take a hike Athrun, Loran Cehack wins this round!

Today’s other matchup is for the fighting women! It’s Allenby Beardsley versus Suletta Mercury!
https://twitter.com/darthveda00/status/1771159953656385547

Those two are totally going be friends after the fight.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Hunter Noventa posted:

Those two are totally going be friends after the fight.

That's up to interpretation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ManSedan posted:

That's up to interpretation.

Hey now, Suletta is extremely loyal to her wife.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Darth Walrus posted:

Hey now, Suletta is extremely loyal to her wife.

But Miorine is a forgiving bride, she can overlook some minor two-timing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ImpAtom posted:

Look, it is important that you know Trieze canonically smells like roses at all times

As if a Gundam watcher knows what a rose smells like.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Argas posted:

As if a Gundam watcher knows what a rose smells like.

pictured; a Gundam fan in a romantic situation

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYtVRYyjhKU

E: Requiem for Vengeance has One Good Thing now

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 23, 2024

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Two Good Things

The gundams appearance reminded me of the brief shot of the Mudrock in Zeonic Fronts intro video

Vord fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 23, 2024

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ngl I might actually want to see it now. Though ooooooof, the sound of the Gouf's gatling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
MS IGLOO 3 still looking as expected.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

wow just like my armored cores

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Definitely reminds me of 40K fan films. The bad kind, the ones where it's clear that the effort was put into making high fidelity models and doing lavish panning shots to show them off, and then having little idea how to properly storyboard or choreograph anything else. You can see the images in the trailer that are obviously meant to be iconic but I'm really not getting any sense of style from the rest of the scenes and the stilted voiceovers and lifeless faces aren't helping.

Between this and the wonky rear end looking Silver Phantom, I don't even know. I might dislike SEED Freedom's art style but it doesn't look cheap, while the VR and the Netflix stuff look cheap and jank despite probably costing a fair bit.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 23, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Waffleman_ posted:

Pretty sure I already fought that thing in MS Saga: A New Dawn

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Looks like a real heap of poo poo, friends!

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
This looks exactky as good as I expected when I learned a 40k fan film guy was going to be making it in unreal engine. I think Igloos people might have looked better tbh

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I don't hate it... yet. But I am sure you guys will get me there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It doesn’t look great but I’m going to watch it with an open mind and open heart.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Waffleman_ posted:

I appreciated the Saberfish at the 43 second mark.

It looks... eh. Might have some good action scenes in it, maybe? The tank blowing up at the beginning was cool. I'm just over of Zeon perspective/"war of independence" blah blah blah crap.

Argas posted:

ngl I might actually want to see it now. Though ooooooof, the sound of the Gouf's gatling.

Reminded me of the initial CN edit of SEED trying to make all the machine guns less gun sounding, which was baaaaaaaad

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

fartknocker posted:

I'm just over of Zeon perspective/"war of independence" blah blah blah crap.

I think you could do a lot of interesting things with the Zeon perspective, but that doing so basically requires you have a protagonist with some degree of awareness that the whole "war of independence" thing is a farce and knowledge (and acknowledgement) of some mix of (1) the fact Zeon were already essentially independent anyway, (2) that Zeon started the war, (3) that Zeon not only started the war, but did so by committing the most horrifying war crime in history against fellow Spacenoids and then followed it up with more war crimes and that (4) the war is at least partly a result of the greed of their own higher ups, and not just some noble cause.

A self aware Zeon perspective willing to genuinely examine the bad as well as the good could be really engaging, but basically everything either ignores it, whitewashes it entirely or at best minimizes it by placing it off to the side as something the protagonists aren't aware of, involved in or willing to confront in any depth when it is mentioned.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

A self aware Zeon perspective willing to genuinely examine the bad as well as the good could be really engaging, but basically everything either ignores it, whitewashes it entirely or at best minimizes it by placing it off to the side as something the protagonists aren't aware of, involved in or willing to confront in any depth when it is mentioned.

"Remind me again, why are we fighting over this rock?"

"We fight because those are our orders."

They could end up having Solari's view of the war change over the course of RFV but I'm not holding my breath waiting for a deep dive into the psychology of space nazis getting pushed back by space Soviets on the Eastern Front of the Future.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, and this is why I keep saying I don't trust a WH40k fan with the idea lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So when did the "UC Gundam is so dark and edgy compared to other shows" thing kick off and is it an exclusively international mindset or is there a similar vibe domestically? English language reaction to RFV does seem to be split between a "gently caress yeah, Grimdark UC story!" and "oh great another grimdark UC story"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

People who watched Zeta Gundam once and only remember the 30% of the show where things actually happen

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Starting off your series with half of the earth dead is p grimdark.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

So when did the "UC Gundam is so dark and edgy compared to other shows" thing kick off and is it an exclusively international mindset or is there a similar vibe domestically? English language reaction to RFV does seem to be split between a "gently caress yeah, Grimdark UC story!" and "oh great another grimdark UC story"

Uhhh Thunderbolt and Hathaway (literally dark) maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not really. Grimdark is more about presentation than actual content. Half of humanity dead in Gundam is shocking, true, but it isn't exactly "and then we had to start eating baby meat in the cloning vats to survive" levels of edginess