Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Whispers of the Heart is really chill and mellow as well and you get to hear Country Road sung like a dozen times in it.

Porco Rosso is also just straight up great. Dude just flying around being a pig and hating fascists

Kalli fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

fartknocker posted:

0080 is only 6 episodes and has really nice late 80s animation, so if you want something quick but also really, really good, this is a good place to start. You don’t really need much outside context to understand the setting, the show provides enough details to get it, but having seen the original series or movies helps, and the six episodes basically make it a long movie, so it’s not a major time investment.

0080 was one of my first entries into Gundam, and it legitimately got "wait, you can't end it there!" reaction out of my teenage self, it was great.

I also have a lot of love for 0083; it has some of my favorite UC Gundam designs ever (the 02 is one of my favorites ever). But like fartknocker said, don't think too hard about it, they definitely didn't.

But to add a little more, you can also find several series on the Gundaminfo Youtube channel (including Witch From Mercury, Seed, Seed Destiny, and Build Metaverse, at a quick glance), and they're constantly rotating series in and out of the channel.

Kalli posted:

Whispers of the Heart is really chill and mellow as well and you get to hear Country Road sung like a dozen times in it.

Y'know, that movie is why I like Country Road to begin with. Never appreciated it until then

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

Kiki’s Delivery Service is great. Studio Ghibli is like the one anime studio you can trust, and almost all of them are great for kids. Kiki, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl’s Moving Castle, and Ponyo are good little kid movies. Spirited Away would be fine for 9 and up, only because there’s a couple of “scary” scenes. Princess Mononoke is probably 12 and up since there’s some violence.

The only Ghibli one I’d warn about is Grave of the Fireflies because… oh boy… That’s in the same category of stuff like When the Wind Blows or The Day After. To be clear, it is an outstanding movie, but know what you’re getting in to with it.

Shinji2015 posted:

0080 was one of my first entries into Gundam, and it legitimately got "wait, you can't end it there!" reaction out of my teenage self, it was great.

I also have a lot of love for 0083; it has some of my favorite UC Gundam designs ever (the 02 is one of my favorites ever). But like fartknocker said, don't think too hard about it, they definitely didn't.

Yeah, I first saw 0080 when it aired on the Midnight Run in October 2001 (I taped it, and my dad still has the tapes somewhere) and the whole thing my 11-year old mind, between (Minor spoiler) the sudden escalation of the violence during the firefight in episode 4 when they try to destroy the Alex and the whole last episode.

0083 would have been totally fine if the ended literally on the scene where Kou and Nina kiss after the attack on the Naval Review. It’s after that where things get truly insane and start causing über UC nerds like myself to go “:thunk: wait this doesn’t fit the timeline”… but drat if it isn’t entertaining nonetheless.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also for recent shows, Frieren is quite good. Basically a D&D campaign world where 80 years after the party beats the big bad... the elf mage from the party goes around the world trying to finally understand people after they've passed on. Just a chill, beautiful show

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Yeah Frieren is really good. There's a lot of emphasis on how elves would perceive the world and passage of time when they live for thousands of years. Like it starts with her going on a quick 50 year excursion and returning to find the hero's party all elderly and being kind
of taken off guard by the hero dying of old age

Multiple instances of her having to be told no a ten year stopover to just chill out and research magic is too long for her human party

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 23, 2024

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm gonna have to check it out..

I just made a new dnd character: a human who sold his soul to Asmodeus in exchange for 1000 years of life so he could live "forever after" his elf wife, who dies young when he's still in his 30s. Fast forward 230 years later and that's the start of the campaign.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

What streaming service is this?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Crunchyroll

So many great bits. Like when her new tagalongs go to check on the unstoppably powerful demon she sealed away with the hero's party back then.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you should watch Mushishi

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am 2 epsiodes into Three Body Problem and dig it so far. But the biggest mystery in the show is how the hell Rosalind Chao looks younger than when she was on Deep Space 9.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kalli posted:

Crunchyroll

So many great bits. Like when her new tagalongs go to check on the unstoppably powerful demon she sealed away with the hero's party back then.

Or the running gag where she keeps getting stuck in mimic traps

e: I also really like the way they do demons

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 23, 2024

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Frieren is amazing and you should absolutely watch it

Wife and I just started watching Apothecary Diaries last night and it's very good

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I also highly recommend Apothecary Diaries

and as always when recs come up gonna go ahead and rec Kingdom

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4wDdcyvMcl/?igsh=MTNkOHFqbHVpbzJwaQ==

Dear god the comments on this video have me in stitches

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I decided to go to work since I skipped on Tuesday to hike Dog Mountain. Missed the train so I took a bus; bus got rerouted as there was a downed power line on its route. Trying to navigate Mt. Tabor and got stuck on a narrow road with a too-tight turn:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

literally dying right now

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lmao okay i have to third that. Im laughing so hard at one of the comments “i sucked a dick this morning and this is the gayest poo poo I’ve ever seen” and the GUY REPLIED TO IT

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
His commitment to prove he’s totally not gay guys I swear!!! Is impressive

I like the “god gives his waviest flags to his gayest warriors”

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Good lord he even has UFC fighters commenting

chris curtis's account apparently

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

His commitment to prove he’s totally not gay guys I swear!!! Is impressive

I like the “god gives his waviest flags to his gayest warriors”

That one got good. Dying at those comments.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

If we’re recommending new animes I highly recommend Delicious in Dungeon on Netflix

It’s a very adorable and funny show about a D&D party that’s too broke to buy enough food to last long enough to get deep into the dungeon so they learn how to cook the monsters they slay on the way down

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Anime 101, but please watch Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood if you haven't.

Also watch Your Lie in April if you want a fun spring time slice of life

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

Porco Rosso is also just straight up great. Dude just flying around being a pig and hating fascists

P Rosso was a delightful film

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Bird in a Blender posted:

Kiki’s Delivery Service is great. Studio Ghibli is like the one anime studio you can trust, and almost all of them are great for kids. Kiki, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl’s Moving Castle, and Ponyo are good little kid movies. Spirited Away would be fine for 9 and up, only because there’s a couple of “scary” scenes. Princess Mononoke is probably 12 and up since there’s some violence.

Ghibli doesn’t do any weird creepy over sexualized stuff.

I am not sure if she is actually interested in anime or not, she requested it because I guess they started watching it in their afterschool program and she wanted to finish it, but then she wandered off anyway. Thanks for the recommendations, I will keep those movies in mind if she does want to watch more anime.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

30-50 feral hogs incoming

Android Apocalypse posted:

NGL I wish it was safe to eat feral hogs, but since they feed off whatever (which includes all the crap runoff from farms) it's a no-go.

I do remember that goon Bushman that hunted hogs with a thermal device & a spear.

I need to watch Silent Night. Shame I missed it in the theater during the Christmas season but so it be.
There's a tabletop game that gets super crunchy with numbers called Phoenix Command, and one goon did the math for one person with an AR-15 against 30-50 feral hogs. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895679

It's a good read.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

CannonFodder posted:

There's a tabletop game that gets super crunchy with numbers called Phoenix Command, and one goon did the math for one person with an AR-15 against 30-50 feral hogs. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895679

It's a good read.

Reading this post made my mind jump to:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh please god let Kim Mulkey go down.

https://x.com/cauble/status/1771610772247863401?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm gonna have to check it out..

I just made a new dnd character: a human who sold his soul to Asmodeus in exchange for 1000 years of life so he could live "forever after" his elf wife, who dies young when he's still in his 30s. Fast forward 230 years later and that's the start of the campaign.

I'm gonna steal this.

Well, eventually. My current D&D character is a 76-year-old adventurer who came out of retirement to find her grandson (also an adventurer) who went missing. She's technically a monk but I've just skinned her powers as her being a seasoned bar brawler, and the ki points as "I used to do this trick all the time but with my back trouble I can only do it a couple of times a day now."

Its been exactly as fun as you'd think playing an elderly grandmother murdering the poo poo out of people with her bare hands would be.

T-Square posted:

If we’re recommending new animes I highly recommend Delicious in Dungeon on Netflix

It’s a very adorable and funny show about a D&D party that’s too broke to buy enough food to last long enough to get deep into the dungeon so they learn how to cook the monsters they slay on the way down

Seconded

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 23, 2024

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I have a fever and it loving suuuuuucks. How is there no justice. Man gets the flu on his weekend.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm gonna steal this.

Well, eventually. My current D&D character is a 76-year-old adventurer who came out of retirement to find her grandson (also an adventurer) who went missing. She's technically a monk but I've just skinned her powers as her being a seasoned bar brawler, and the ki points as "I used to do this trick all the time but with my back trouble I can only do it a couple of times a day now."

Its been exactly as fun as you'd think playing an elderly grandmother murdering the poo poo out of people with her bare hands would be.

We have a murdergrandma in our party too haha. Feel free to use it! Spread the love!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I could play D&D using Murder Grandpa as a template, that would probably be fun as hell.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

When I lived in NYC my pre-wife and I took my sister to a local favorite very OG Thai place, I ordered a dish (chicken thai basil maybe) and asked the server lady to make it spicy

She's like "Spicy?"
me: "Yeah, spicy"
server: Spicy?
me: Spicy (nodding)
me: (confused) Yes, spicy
me: SPICY?!

she added 1 spicy every time I confirmed it, dish was about a 500,000,000 on the scoville scale. Completely delicious and we ate every morsel, but it was so spicy I forgot which dish it was (Alex Jones defense)

I had almost the exact same experience years ago in Portland Oregon at some random Thai place with my now-wife. No memory of what I ordered but I asked for it spicy and got the literal hottest thing I’ve ever had in my life. I love spicy food and powered through it but it was like sent directly up from hell. My wife was laughing her rear end off as I sweated and cried through my meal that I swear I enjoyed!!!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

She’s threatening to sue, which is definitely a thing you do when you’ve done nothing wrong

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yeah, hiring defamation lawyers over a news story no one has read yet is absolutely a thing not guilty people do.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's gonna be she hates creole food is all

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Its Rinaldo posted:

It's gonna be she hates creole food is all

“Hush puppies are just dumbass falafel”

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
As someone who's been reading Delicious in Dungeon, I'm also co-signing the rec. It's a wonderful series and the only reason I haven't seen the adaptation yet is I got locked out of my parents' Netflix account and I don't want to reward their business practices by paying for a separate account.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Manoueverable posted:

As someone who's been reading Delicious in Dungeon, I'm also co-signing the rec. It's a wonderful series and the only reason I haven't seen the adaptation yet is I got locked out of my parents' Netflix account and I don't want to reward their business practices by paying for a separate account.

It's time for :filez: friend.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Trying to convince my younger son he should get good at dancing by telling him girls will want to dance with him, he says he doesn't like girls yet

Maybe in a couple more years

The older one likes girls but doesn't want to learn because he just doesn't care lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Manoueverable posted:

Delicious in Dungeon

hey gently caress you man