Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Incredibles broke a lot of people's brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
what's the button for melee in a mech (kbm)? i remember them saying they fixed it but i've never been able to get it to work

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Should be F, same as normal melee.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Reiley posted:

Blasting egg walls with your plentiful grenades really does the business on those missions.

flamethrower is my preferred way to exercise the termanids' right to choose

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Reiley posted:

Blasting egg walls with your plentiful grenades really does the business on those missions.

One of the things the GL + Supply Pack loadout undervalues is “not being there”. With the 500kg you can toss the strategem and be halfway out of the nest territory by the time it blows up all the eggs and the bugs breach.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Owlbear Camus posted:

fiance watching me play over my shoulder: why are you wearing a cape? do you have to wear a cape?

:wtc:

:sever:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Oh and the GL loadout made me switch back from Sickle to Breaker because of the spinup lag on Sickle. Can’t use GL when bugs are in your face because grenades will bounce off and the weapon switch needs to be fast because the bugs are in your face.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sindai posted:

Rest of the post is good advice but both those guns are cool and fun. Breaker and S&P are very similar now, it just comes down to whether you want more DPS or more total damage between reloads. Either works fine. Plasma Punisher has a learning curve but once you get a feel for how to arc shots at varying ranges it's good and unique.

Are either of them S-Tier? Nah, but if you're classifying the Dominator as "usable" they certainly both are as well.
The dominator is not like, barely usable, it's a perfectly reasonable sidegrade to the slugger.
Bad handling, but you can play around that. Which doesn't mean that the bad handling is meaningless, it's still poor at killing bugs right on top of you due to slow speed swinging around to them-but you have a secondary slot, and your redeemer is arguably the best gun in the game for spraying down hunters that're harassing you. Meanwhile, JAR pens and bile spewer heads and fully pens brood commander armor-the only other primaries that do that are the slugger and liberator penetrator, the former of which is good but limited by RoF and the latter of which is in an awkward middle ground where it's not as good at clearing trash as normal liberator and also not nearly as good at popping those mentioned targets as slugger/JAR.

You could maybe argue me into moving spray and pray into 'mediocre' but I really do not think having slightly better damage per mag is worth it when both DPS is worse, and breakpoints are way worse. Not being able to oneshot hunters(and warriors) is a really, really big downside, and because of your breakpoints being worse in such a dramatic way, you're not actually getting better effective damage per mag most of the time, because you frequently have to shoot targets twice instead of once.

hey mom its 420 posted:

is it just me or have pubbies been getting worse lately? I usually run missions on 8 difficulty, and most people just seem to kind of run around aimlessly without a clear goal in mind. In my recent game I tried so hard to get them to kill a stalker lair with me but everyone just kind of did their own thing. Surprise, in the end we all got hosed up by stalkers
Maybe! I do think more players have moved into higher difficulty missions regardless of their actual skill level.

My personal bugbear is pubbies who
a). just do not call reinforcements, either at all or in a reasonable amount of time
b). just do not ever come over to 2-button bunkers

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 23, 2024

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

Window for free tags has passed, gotta buy them now.

I asked for one but never got one :(

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Well it finally happened.

Running a suicide mission with randoms. Everything going well, clearing the map really easy and no deaths. I come across the super samples, and as I'm right near the extract point I type in chat "just going to drop the samples at extract." Start walking over and..... you have been kicked.

I just laughed and joined another random group who were almost finished and had their samples, so no big loss.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Owlbear Camus posted:

fiance watching me play over my shoulder: why are you wearing a cape? do you have to wear a cape?

:wtc:

I'm not wearing a cape, I'm a cape wearing a man!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

BadLlama posted:

I assume there's still a load to process! They seemed somewhat popular when I asked for mine, so that's what I'm clinging to.

Cape-wise, back in Helldivers everyone would turn in tight circles to spin round, and by the name of sweet Liberty I would love a cape twirl emote that calls back to that

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Flint_Paper posted:

I assume there's still a load to process! They seemed somewhat popular when I asked for mine, so that's what I'm clinging to.

Cape-wise, back in Helldivers everyone would turn in tight circles to spin round, and by the name of sweet Liberty I would love a cape twirl emote that calls back to that

Remember the achievement for cape twirling? Just 4 badass Helldivers twirling, ever twirling.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dren posted:

One of the things the GL + Supply Pack loadout undervalues is “not being there”.
Or you could take a shield instead of the supply pack, run straight in, grenade all the eggs and run straight out without giving a poo poo about getting a couple of taps on the shoulder along the way.
I don't really get why GL+supply backpack is so popular, you get so many grenades already just from ammo drops.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think that by giving you a lot of strategy and playstyle options the devs have messed up matchmaking a bit. Some people are kicking others just to be shits, but there's a lot of grumbling about pubbies not following the chosen strategy of the host.

In DRG, the most annoying thing you have to deal with are people who insist on building bunkers all the time, and carrying someone is not that big of a deal since they're generally not making the situation actively worse.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I mean poo poo just let us do that fancy spin you can do in Elden Ring

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Jossar posted:

Should be F, same as normal melee.

hmm i rebound melee and now nothing seems to work

add it to the list i guess

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

LazyMaybe posted:

Or you could take a shield instead of the supply pack, run straight in, grenade all the eggs and run straight out without giving a poo poo about getting a couple of taps on the shoulder along the way.
I don't really get why GL+supply backpack is so popular, you get so many grenades already just from ammo drops.

I like to give me friends a little ammo as a treat

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Think im sold on the 50% chance to not die armor, especially with teammates. Counted 4 times I should have died but didnt.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I should do melee stuff more. Bring back the Saber from the HD1 Proving Grounds and let me hit things with a dang sword again :unsmigghh:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

rear end-Haggis posted:

I should do melee stuff more. Bring back the Saber from the HD1 Proving Grounds and let me hit things with a dang sword again :unsmigghh:

Let me swap the pistol for an energy sword!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

BadLlama posted:

Think im sold on the 50% chance to not die armor, especially with teammates. Counted 4 times I should have died but didnt.

Same, I tried the baseball pitcher armor and it was awesome but I love not dying.

Charger trucks you? Live on 1%.
Shrieker touches you? 1% health all limbs broken
Teammate drops an Orbital Airburst on you? That’s right, 1%.

Pop a stim and get back in there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BadLlama posted:

:same:

And that's ok, I don't need no stinking goon tag to drink and enjoy my liber-tea.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Custard Undies posted:

Let me swap the pistol for an energy sword!

Hell yea at least lest us get them as battlefield pickups off commissars.

And chainswords off berserkers. :black101:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q69piyK4jnc

War correspondence

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
From looking at some reviews, apparently this game is like a mash-up of Deep Rock Galactic + Starship Troopers. Is that right?

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
That feels about as accurate as anything, yeah.

Griz
May 21, 2001

the Magicka devs made a FPS inspired by Starship Troopers

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

From looking at some reviews, apparently this game is like a mash-up of Deep Rock Galactic + Starship Troopers. Is that right?

There's also a good serving of team killing. That's the most important ingredient.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's pretty much the Dark Souls of third-person games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So are the heavy armours ever worth equipping if the basic Helldivers armour has the same damage resist? Is the increased recoilbresistance really worth it?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

So are the heavy armours ever worth equipping if the basic Helldivers armour has the same damage resist? Is the increased recoilbresistance really worth it?

Ive a buddy who swears by them, but IMO with the dumb critical hit/headshot system as it is I just dont think heavy armor has much merit atm. I hope they reconsider it being a thing, and just let head-armor be inherited from your torso armor stats.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I saved for so long to get the Scorcher but it felt so bad when compared to the ol' standby, the Slugger.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

The ultra-fat one that was in the superstore a day or two ago is kind of nice on eradication missions.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 24, 2024

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sindai posted:

Rest of the post is good advice but both those guns are cool and fun. Breaker and S&P are very similar now, it just comes down to whether you want more DPS or more total damage between reloads. Either works fine. Plasma Punisher has a learning curve but once you get a feel for how to arc shots at varying ranges it's good and unique.

Are either of them S-Tier? Nah, but if you're classifying the Dominator as "usable" they certainly both are as well.

Definitely agree on the Plasma Punisher. Once you get the swing of it, it's a great jack-of-all-trades that I have consistent success with it vs bugs even in 7s and 8s (haven't tried it in a bug 9 yet). Its time to kill on larger bugs like brood commanders is obviously less than the slugger or dominator, and it's not as good at handling large swarms of hunters as a breaker or punisher, but it's one of the only weapons that can reliably do both. You can also kill chargers with 5 butt shots but tbh usually I just take them out with an EAT or whatever, but it's still a fairly reliable option. The AOE shouldn't be underestimated either, you can fire it wildly into a bug breach and obliterate anything that isn't a heavy, and from a safer distance than you can with the shotguns. VS bots you can abuse the hell out of the projectile arc to kill them from behind cover where they can't shoot you, it's very safe and effective.

Really it's only glaring weakness imo (over than the learning curve) is that you can't really handle hunters in your face, but you can just use your pistol and/or a laser dog. I highly recommend people give it another chance - it's not a weapon that everyone will like, but it's very effective once you get the feel for it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

You can get both recoil resistance perks (+nades, explosive resist) on light armour so there's no reason to use heavy armour.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i was hoping player armor was going to work more like enemy armor and itd be able to just outright resist some things instead of just being a minor amount of damage reduction

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I think my main problem with everything that's not the slugger is it's got so much ammo and the rounds reload feels so good. Whenever I use another primary and have to clip reload in the middle of a swarm it feels bad. Some primaries definitely need an ammo bump.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kly posted:

i was hoping player armor was going to work more like enemy armor and itd be able to just outright resist some things instead of just being a minor amount of damage reduction

Same tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think I'd use the first machine gun strategem more often if it came with larger magazines or a belt-fed backpack attachment so I could pretend I'm a Kerberos Panzer Cop.