Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

build back better baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mawarannahr posted:

that was great and it had a cute logo. the OS X version was even better. I had my irl friends on MSN, Americans on AOL, a few people on ICQ, and sometimes I'd even use the IRC plugin although I would usually use a different client for that.

apparently it's still around but I doubt most of it works.

I remember spending my allowance to go on ICQ and mIRC at the Internet cafe, back before the towers fell. good times.

e: it also worked for Gmail chat. it was real nice to have everything in one place.

forgot all about this, used to be my main client for a long time back maybe around the late 00s or so, I wanna say. hell, I forgot that I used aim up until as late as maybe 2008 or so?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://old.reddit.com/r/FirstTimeHomeBuyer/comments/1blrf8k/taking_a_break/?share_id=YoEMy2z_bRWO42a3dQorD

quote:

Ya’ll… I am so tired. I have tried to stay so positive since starting my FTHB journey in this market. But after bidding on my 4th house in 8 months at 8% over list price with escalation up to 13.5% over list price and still out bid, I just don’t think I can put any more energy into this right now. I went into March with a positive attitude that this year will be better but I’m just not seeing it. Homes are being listed but they are out of my budget. When I look at price history, I can see that the homes sold 1-3 years ago in my price range but now listed at such an inflated price that I can’t afford. It just kills my spirit a little every time I see that I could have afforded the home just two years ago for what the seller paid.

Growing up, my parents lived paycheck to paycheck, watched them get evicted, or leave in the middle of the night before we could be evicted. I told myself that if I made $50k a year, I would be happy. I just wanted to make more than my dad. That was in 2009 when my dad made $45k taking care of two kids and a wife. Now I make $73k a year/no kids and I can’t afford a home in my hometown where all my family and friends are (they are all struggling over there). And now I can’t afford the homes over an hour outside from my hometown that used to be affordable on my income. Heck, I even took a seasonal job over the holidays working 30 hours/week in addition to my full time job working 40 hours/week just so I could have a larger down payment to try and offset these high prices. The whole situation makes me sad.

If you can’t afford to buy in the big city, just move back to your hometown, so simple

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Mandel Brotset posted:

nvidia and by extension ai are only the load bearing bubbles they are because the us is about to very publicly lose the trade war with china, and with it, control over the global economy

the only question is whether nvdia becomes a $10 trillion company before it all implodes

It is really funny to think that China has probably beaten the US when it comes to GDP possibly even before the pandemic and the US just keeps trying to argue that their things are ‘infinity plus one’

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

My hometown is a big city. :smith:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DesertIslandHermit posted:

It is really funny to think that China has probably beaten the US when it comes to GDP possibly even before the pandemic and the US just keeps trying to argue that their things are ‘infinity plus one’

America is dying, yet the conomy is doing fine. Banks are collapsing, businesses that have been around for ages have shuttered, the price of everything is through the roof, but Number keeps going up.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

US appeals court curtails EPA's ability to regulate PFAS under toxic substances law

A federal appeals court has vacated two U.S. Environmental Protection Agency orders prohibiting a Texas plastics treatment company from manufacturing toxic “forever chemicals”

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
the scene in Chernobyl when the reactor is going critical and the numbers just keep beeping bigger but it’s the economy

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Popoto posted:

the scene in Chernobyl when the reactor is going critical and the numbers just keep beeping bigger but it’s the economy

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Apple will likely collapse to $150 a share.

The government is about to saw off the only chair leg propping up this whole rotten mess

Sorry, but after the ruling isn't as hard against apple as expected shares will actually dip slightly then rocket back up as apple announces a new Iphone MegaMax that is made out of holofoil

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

skooma512 posted:

My hometown is a big city. :smith:

Sick world where we can't live in the place we grew up in with all of our friends and family.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I can't stop thinking about the writeup from the Canadian mounted police that says when people figure out how poor they are they will flay their neighbors and eat each other

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Popoto posted:

The beginning of Half-Life but the scientists are reading the Wall Street Journal: "Hmm... It's... well within acceptable limits."

Apr 7, 2003

Crazypoops posted:

I can't stop thinking about the writeup from the Canadian mounted police that says when people figure out how poor they are they will flay their neighbors and eat each other

Canadians are monsters

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

What’s propping up Canadian society is the feeling that the French, Indians and Immigrants are poorer, but that may not hold.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Crazypoops posted:

Lmao what? Got a link?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Studio posted:

Lmao what? Got a link?

Yeah, please link that.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Animal-Mother posted:

The beginning of Half-Life but the scientists are reading the Wall Street Journal: "Hmm... It's... well within acceptable limits."

Hey Siri, which stocks are resonance cascading right now?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

err posted:

Sick world where we can't live in the place we grew up in with all of our friends and family.

as a native NYer I really feel this one

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nichael posted:

Yeah, please link that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026915&userid=100414&perpage=40&pagenumber=70#post538491257

the redacted version is also online

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

dont know how true this is but lol

quote:

even adding a quote from French President Emmanuel Macron that “the end of abundance” is nigh.

Abundance for me but not for thee

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Abundance for me but not for thee
the era of cheap, basically free, energy is coming to an end and everyone knows it. ladders are getting yanked and the unproductive masses will be catabolically jettisoned like flotsam

Apr 7, 2003

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

america is thinking about maybe possibly making the permitting process for nuclear reactors slightly faster while china is building like a hundred a year

france, germany, japan, etc are all restarting the reactors they shut down after fukushima as well

Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

france, germany, japan, etc are all restarting the reactors they shut down after fukushima as well

are they? That'd be a major victory

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Nuclear is much better, more reliable, and safer than fossil fuel plants. Fossil releases more radiation into the atmosphere too lol. Nuclear baseload + solar/wind/hydro/distributed for peaking and reliability is the way forward.

Apr 7, 2003

It's pretty funny that nuclear boats and ships have 10+ year refueling intervals but we can't use this incredible technology domestically anymore

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FistEnergy posted:

Nuclear is much better, more reliable, and safer than fossil fuel plants. Fossil releases more radiation into the atmosphere too lol. Nuclear baseload + solar/wind/hydro/distributed for peaking and reliability is the way forward.

yeah but what about fossil fuels shareholders

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

are they? That'd be a major victory

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-15/japan-moves-to-get-local-approval-to-restart-tepco-nuclear-plant

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/european-leaders-call-nuclear-industry-revival-2024-03-21/

https://archive.is/iogb0 (FT article about macron announcing some new reactor builds)

i double checked and couldnt find a source saying germany was so i might have misremembered that

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The sun blasts unimaginable quantities of energy into space each instant, and virtually every joule of it is wasted entirely. Incomprehensible riches can be ours if we can but stretch our arms wide enough to dip from this eternal river of wealth.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The nazis used nuculars in Korea, and now you want it to power your freaking xbox??

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

america is thinking about maybe possibly making the permitting process for nuclear reactors slightly faster while china is building like a hundred a year

lol the permitting isn't necessary the only problem. NuScale already bailed out after guzzling down billions. It's just not profitable compared to coal or lng and why invest a big $5 billion capex when you can just invest it in NVDA instead? the only way nuclear is ever coming back to america is if its publically run (impossible)

Germany isn't. They're cooked. They went from like 30 reactors down to like 3, and plan to shut down the last 3 but the U/R war caused them to postpone (but still plan) to get rid of their last 3. Japan maybe? I'll believe it when I see it. France is the only EU with any serious nuclear anymore.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
it's OK the Germans can just checks notes use politically untenable Russian natural gas and ecologically devastating brown coal for their energy needs.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
US baseload electricity consumption has been fairly stagnant for the past 5-10 years with only a gradual upward trend. The loss of American manufacturing and stronger efficiency standards have held things in check. That's going to change significantly between 2025 and 2030 based on the federal and regional studies I have access to, primarily due to a huge explosion in data centers and bitcoin miners. America is piling on the gigawatts right now, and for very little public good. It's very grim both economically and ecologically.

Solar and wind are catching on steadily but it's mostly gas turbines picking up the slack as coal falls off and nuclear flounders.

Apr 7, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

US baseload electricity consumption has been fairly stagnant for the past 5-10 years with only a gradual upward trend. The loss of American manufacturing and stronger efficiency standards have held things back. That's going to change significantly between 2025 and 2030 based on the federal and regional studies I have access to, primarily due to a huge explosion in data centers and bitcoin miners. America is piling on the gigawatts right now, and for very little public good. It's very grim both economically and ecologically.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hubbert posted:

it's OK the Germans can just checks notes use politically untenable Russian natural gas and ecologically devastating brown coal for their energy needs.

don't worry theyve switched to american LNG which is way better

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FistEnergy posted:

US baseload electricity consumption has been fairly stagnant for the past 5-10 years with only a gradual upward trend. The loss of American manufacturing and stronger efficiency standards have held things in check. That's going to change significantly between 2025 and 2030 based on the federal and regional studies I have access to, primarily due to a huge explosion in data centers and bitcoin miners. America is piling on the gigawatts right now, and for very little public good. It's very grim both economically and ecologically.

Solar and wind are catching on steadily but it's mostly gas turbines picking up the slack as coal falls off and nuclear flounders.

Solar is still a slow build-out and also constantly gets tied up in lawsuits. see also like those midwest farmers trying to put solar panels on their fields and getting shut down after like a 8 year battle. it's the most reliable and promising but also doesnt help the libs basically put big tariffs on solar panels from china.

PG&E ratfuckedd solar in california this year too, basically killing any commercial solar dead in the tracks. it's donezo here. we're going to finish up whatever was permitted in NEMA 2 and that's it. no one is building solar under NEMA 3

the big issue with wind is that as they try to go bigger MW turbines, they're much more prone to failing and doing badly. gamesa has like serial drivetrain failures and doa with over 30% failure rates, and siemens is doing badly with high energy costs. vesta is basically dead, ge wind is sucking poo poo and bankrupt after being split off, as is enercon. we're building these and they're all just dying in like 5 years and warranties aren't being honored or non-existant. that's loving bad.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:27 on Mar 24, 2024

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Hubbert posted:

checks notes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

don't worry theyve switched to american LNG which is way better

it's right there in the title, clean natural gas. it's natural, organic, gmo-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

nuclear is the future. been saying it for decades.