Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Salt Fish posted:

Just to be clear, when I post "lol worlds done in 10 wrap it up" that's not per se literal. (I posted that and made that one guy made sorry I guess).

Having said that, if you take the +40F temps we had this winter and apply them in summer everyones dead, that's it. You can't have summer be 140F for 12 hours at a time and survive. AC won't save you because the power grid is toast once we get there.

So is that going to happen in the next 10 years? I don't know, and that's a big loving problem. It actually could happen, and even you can say it WILL happen, maybe its a question of what % of the earth is going to have multiple days at 140+. But we are getting some firsthand experience that +2C means for 1 day a month its +20C hotter and that's so much more serious than people realize right now.

it's pretty funny your post caused so much psychic damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

uguu posted:

Does anyone else sometimes ask themselves "what if we're wrong?". What if we're just conspiracy nuts with an aggravated sense of self-importance and nothing better going on in our lives?

We should always be asking ourselves that question; critical re-assessment and reflection is always a good thing. I personally thought we'd be in a 1970s-style oil crisis by now, and yet, here I still am with egg on my face.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

fanfic insert posted:

i cant find anything on this, do you have a link? I'm finding a bunch of results about higher levels of pfas in eggs but nothing on it being fixed

https://taenk.dk/forbrugerliv/mad-og-indkoeb/pfas-i-oekoaeg-hvad-skal-du-goere

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Hubbert posted:

We should always be asking ourselves that question; critical re-assessment and reflection is always a good thing. I personally thought we'd be in a 1970s-style oil crisis by now, and yet, here I still am with egg on my face.

it's entirely possible that the system refusing to allow short term collapses leads to a larger long term one down the road so i reserve the right to be doomer even if we keep managing to pull our hands out of the machinery just in time

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Remembering the paper about ice cores in Greenland showing double digit degree changes in under a decade.

I think about this all the time too lol

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

maxwellhill posted:

did i make that game unprogressable by refusing to buy a politician

ehh run got hosed when we advanced the energy tech tree over econ and social.

giving a bunch bigoted capitalists industrialization/fossil fuels was a noob move.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Rectal Death Alert posted:

it's entirely possible that the system refusing to allow short term collapses leads to a larger long term one down the road so i reserve the right to be doomer even if we keep managing to pull our hands out of the machinery just in time

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

fanfic insert posted:

Had a bit of a cackle at this one

(sorry bout the lovely machine translation)

:crackping:

[Biosphere Collapse] Choose what you are confident with

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Hubbert posted:

Abiotic oil is real

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

good news: this argument is explored further in both The Collapse of Complex Societies (Tainter) and Too Smart for Our Own Good: The Ecological Predicament of Humankind (Dilworth)

Dokapon Findom posted:

Abiotic oil is real

:ok:

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

This is accurate. The person from this thread that posted in Doomsday Econ claiming the end of industrial society within 10 years. That requires the belief that earth will become incompatible with human life for any period of time at all. That's the extreme end of the degrees of 100% destruction presented almost impossibly fast.

Optimists are still in the realm where large scale destruction is impossible and it's just a matter of whether we have to deal with the pain and discomfort of 15% destruction somewhere else they don't have to personally experience. Worst case would be experiencing a disaster that inconveniences them.

Even if the clathrate gun is really, actually, fully, finally firing we would probably have 20-80 years before things get so bad we just can't maintain global industry anymore.

Another issue is that "Collapse" is so broad of a term. One person sets it at the end of the human species and another sets it at the end of the human dollar.

Part of the problem is collapse starts to seem the only thing disruptive enough to lead to meaningful change. The longer this lasts, the more difficult/impossible constructive change becomes, and the greater the "find out" bill (for somebody else to pay!)

How do you argue against "I can't do anything about it so why stress" or "I'll be dead before that"? They're not wrong... but like, whose job is this?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

BRJurgis posted:

Part of the problem is collapse starts to seem the only thing disruptive enough to lead to meaningful change. The longer this lasts, the more difficult/impossible constructive change becomes, and the greater the "find out" bill (for somebody else to pay!)

How do you argue against "I can't do anything about it so why stress" or "I'll be dead before that"? They're not wrong... but like, whose job is this?

Yours, and it's appraisal time. I have some bad news...

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Xaris posted:

technology will save us if things get that bad, relax

technology wont save me because im poor and broke

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

blatman posted:

skill issue

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

blatman posted:

Actually I hear places like Canada are making great gains in making medical care like MAID available to the poor and broke

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Colin Mockery posted:

Actually I hear places like Canada are making great gains in making medical care like MAID available to the poor and broke

Israel is doing it better, actually.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Hubbert posted:

Except that we were. Fossil fuel production was facing an imminent catastrophic supply/demand mismatch until the emergence of fracking and alternative oil drilling methods enabled us to change when and where we extract crude hydrocarbons. You didn’t get your “told you so” moment because similar to the Y2K software issue, the very real crisis you were observing was met with actions that actually subverted the threat. Unlike switching date codes in a computer however, we cannot repeat the fracking trick. Once all the reachable crude dries up, there will be no moving on to greener pastures oil rich deserts. Just because the fossil fuel crisis didn’t shut the lights off for us doesn’t mean it can’t and won’t do it to your kids if they’re still around by then.

As for the matter of practicing honest self reflection to ensure that your brain doesn’t melt inside of a climate despair echo chamber, this is very good advice and is the main element that factors into the social stigma I have suffered in talking about these topics with close friends and colleagues who are usually otherwise onboard with these issues.

Like, “No buddy, I’m not running around like chicken little prophesizing to you the exact date that the sky will fall. You aren’t getting my emotionally driven hysterical response. You are receiving an opinion on the matter which is a RESULT of the amount of time I have spent reflecting upon the available information and its implications. It is you who is responding emotionally in your unflinching denial to even briefly consider that what I’m saying might be a rational conclusion”.

Out entire global population has been conditioned by propaganda to believe that any argument we hear which emotionally charges us must be inherently dismissible because if it were true it would be more ‘boring’. We are all walking versions of the r/nothingeverhappens subreddit, ready to dismiss anything and believe in nothing.

I’m not a soothsayer and I have no idea what specific shape the future takes, because I don’t care that’s stupid. I can look at its general outline and tell it’s completely hosed. Because the present is currently hosed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ignore_Me posted:

Except that we were. Fossil fuel production was facing an imminent catastrophic supply/demand mismatch until the emergence of fracking and alternative oil drilling methods enabled us to change when and where we extract crude hydrocarbons. You didn’t get your “told you so” moment because similar to the Y2K software issue, the very real crisis you were observing was met with actions that actually subverted the threat. Unlike switching date codes in a computer however, we cannot repeat the fracking trick. Once all the reachable crude dries up, there will be no moving on to greener pastures oil rich deserts. Just because the fossil fuel crisis didn’t shut the lights off for us doesn’t mean it can’t and won’t do it to your kids if they’re still around by then.
yep. coincidentally america has hit ALL TIME HIGHS! on oil production

this is in part the eastern oklahoma/pa/dakotas are tapped out but we're now hitting the permian basin with even more horizontal drilling. also sensing an opportunity to keep europe pumping us full of profits, we're hitting the pedal full steam but it's going to be a very short term burst of energy. We're trying to get as much shareholder profit out as quickly as fuckin' possible

we're constantly dropping our energy return on rate of energy investment as it gets more and more difficult for shittier and shittier oil, and that's having rippling effects.

I don't really like JMG that much, but this is mostly true

quote:

The crucial word in that last sentence, though, is “temporarily.” Technically speaking, fossil fuels aren’t actually nonrenewable resources—the Earth regenerates them from organic material buried in sediment—but the process takes tens of millions of years to go from dead fish to light sweet crude. In terms that mean anything to human history, in other words, once a bucket of coal, a barrel of oil, or a cubic foot of natural gas is burnt, it’s gone, and the time it’ll take for the Earth to produce another is on the same scale as the interval that separates us from the last dinosaurs. Since fossil fuels power the tractors, produce the fertilizer, fuel the trucks and ships, and provide energy and raw materials for nearly all of the food and other products that have allowed our planet’s population to balloon to between four and eight times the maximum figure for all earlier history, that’s not exactly a minor issue.

A long time ago, in what feels sometimes like a galaxy far, far away, I used to blog about this point quite a lot. This was in the heyday of the peak oil movement—the last sustained attempt to get people in the industrial world to pay attention to the fact that their lifestyles depend on finite resources and those resources are running up increasingly hard against supply constraints. The language of carrying capacity and overshoot was central to my blogging in those days.

Every time I talked about this, without exception, I fielded criticisms from two opposing viewpoints. On the one hand were the people who insisted that progress was invincible and surely sometime very soon, once the price of oil rose high enough, somebody would come up with some even more cheap and abundant source of energy to replace the ones we were wasting so extravagantly. On the other hand were the people who agreed that no substitute for oil would be found but insisted that the end of the fossil fuel era would be sudden and cataclysmic, a vast apocalyptic event that would crush industrial society in a matter of months if not days and cause instantaneous mass dieoff worldwide. It was somewhat odd, you have to admit, to find myself simultaneously denounced as a hopeless pessimist by one set of critics and a blind optimist by another set, but that was how it turned out.

Nearly two decades have now passed since world conventional petroleum production peaked and began a ragged decline. In retrospect, it’s clear that my critics were wrong and I was right. The price of oil, which was around US$10 a barrel at the turn of the millennium, is now fluctuating between US$70 and $90 a barrel. Countless attempted replacements for fossil fuels have been pushed onto the market; those that haven’t failed completely have become niche-market products making no noticeable dent in fossil fuel use. Meanwhile the great apocalyptic event that so many people loved to predict has pulled a no-show.

What happened instead is, ahem, what I predicted back in the day. As conventional petroleum reserves plateaued and began to lose ground, frantic efforts to find additional reserves were padded out by the breakneck extraction of inefficient, low-grade sources of liquid fuels—anything and everything that would keep fuel tanks filled, no matter what the cost or the consequences. That’s why the old technology of hydrofracturing was dusted off and applied to shale deposits across the United States, squeezing out a large but temporary burst of natural gas liquids and light oil, while Canada and Venezuela poured vast amounts of money and energy into digging up tar sands and extracting thick, high-sulfur gunk from them.

These were less useful than they seemed. It takes energy to extract, refine, and ship fossil fuels. Light sweet crude from shallow wells and good hard anthracite coal from shallow mines take very little energy to extract. In the case of the best grades of light sweet crude, this worked out to 1/3 of 1% of the energy in the oil having to be used to extract it—but those grades are rare now, because we pumped and burnt them all. The worse the grade, the more energy has to go into extracting and refining the crude oil, and the less energy is left over to do everything else that energy does in a civilization. While fossil fuel production has climbed steadily year after year, in other words, the availability of energy to society has faltered—and in lockstep, just as population ecology would predict, birthrates have fallen.

They’ll continue falling, too, because there is no energy source within reach of our species that can replace fossil fuels at the rate we’re using them. At the beginning of the industrial revolution, the Earth’s fossil fuel deposits were the largest concentration of easily accessible, highly concentrated chemical energy in the known solar system. Our species used them with reckless abandon, and built a vast array of technologies specifically designed to make use of their properties. Sure, it would have been possible to build an equally vast array of technologies to use some other resource, but we didn’t, and attempts to start making that happen in the 1970s ended up being scrapped in the decade that followed. So here we are.

The consequences of sustained population contraction are the stinger in the tail of our current predicament, because it wasn’t just our technologies that were designed around the short-term condition of rapid growth driven by abundant fossil fuel energy—so were our economies. It seems like simple common sense to most people nowadays that assets will on average increase in value, investments will yield a return, and businesses will make a profit. Stop and think about that for a minute, though. Why does this happen? Because the economy grows every quarter. Why does the economy grow every quarter?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Ignore_Me posted:

As for the matter of practicing honest self reflection to ensure that your brain doesn’t melt inside of a climate despair echo chamber, this is very good advice and is the main element that factors into the social stigma I have suffered in talking about these topics with close friends and colleagues who are usually otherwise onboard with these issues.

Like, “No buddy, I’m not running around like chicken little prophesizing to you the exact date that the sky will fall. You aren’t getting my emotionally driven hysterical response. You are receiving an opinion on the matter which is a RESULT of the amount of time I have spent reflecting upon the available information and its implications. It is you who is responding emotionally in your unflinching denial to even briefly consider that what I’m saying might be a rational conclusion”.

Out entire global population has been conditioned by propaganda to believe that any argument we hear which emotionally charges us must be inherently dismissible because if it were true it would be more ‘boring’. We are all walking versions of the r/nothingeverhappens subreddit, ready to dismiss anything and believe in nothing.

I’m not a soothsayer and I have no idea what specific shape the future takes, because I don’t care that’s stupid. I can look at its general outline and tell it’s completely hosed. Because the present is currently hosed.

The US fracking miracle, for it is basically one that it played out as it has, saved the world. Look at any other region and nowhere comes close to pulling us out of what was happening around 2005 with crude and condensate that inevitably fed the 2008 crash.

The problem, as a great many with much better grasp of the situation than myself, is that these are, as you say, the Hail Mary contingency plans for. an industry that has been reeling from lack of new megafield finds for decades whilst growth continues apace. The other thing is, shale tends to crash much, much faster than traditional oil plays, to the point that many wells literally drop off 90% over months and then slowly eke out an existence for years after. This profile cannot be changed much even with EOR tech, and pretty much means you experience the Red Queen effect to a far higher degree than any other extraction process out there. It's also ridiculously energy and resource intensive, along with being a cash cow in anything but a bull market, leading to KSA and OPEC+ having tried to kill the market off in 2014 or thereabouts by pumping as much as they could.

Inevitably, we've merely gone and replaced what was a good wholesome meal with the oil equivalent of a chocolate bar. A nice, fast shot of energy that will quickly deplete and leave us hungry for more, although from where? Likely it'll be even worse, as if the combined output does crash as fast as it came about, then it won't be the practically leisurely decline the Lower 48 had or the North Sea, but more a cliff crash that reruns what happened in 2008 and then some, given nothing has systematically changed over that period: it's just cracks being paper over with more financialisation and a once-in-a-lifetime shot to the arm in the form of oil fields no one wanted to touch prior to the 2010s. It also didn't help we started counting any flammable liquid as being "oil", up to and including corn ethanol.

We were the coyote running at the cliff in 2005. Then we decided to not look down and instead carry on running. Now we are over fresh air and absolutely do not want to check on how are feet are landing currently.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

be still my beating heart

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

yep. coincidentally america has hit ALL TIME HIGHS! on oil production

Thanks, Obama

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
One of the funniest things about America guzzling one of it's last remaining shots of oil-morphine to keep the party going is that KSA and RU still have a lot more oil. once America has tapped itself out trying to keep $3/gal gasoline for SUVS to frolick to-and-fro the suburbs to the strip malls, lest americans devolve into civil unrest, is that once it's gone it's gone. We could have doled it out slower, but no, we gotta get maximum profits right now this minute. so we'll be beholden to KSA and RU who have no desire to want to continue with the petrodollar, and because we've printed like $30 trillion dollars and gave it all to shareholders, the petrodollar is worthless without being literally the petrodollar.

get ready for some fun $20+/gal gas in the future -- that's going to completely destroy the entire american way of life (good, i'm actually excited). i'm looking forward to the end of burger nation

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
iirc we very quickly hit like ~$6.5/gallon here in CA last time there was an oil crunch before biden unleashed the SPR to keep oil prices down for the midterms. which still is declining btw, despite all time highs on production we aren't refilling the SPR.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Yeah people using peak oil as an example of doomers being wrong always irritates the hell out of me. It happened! It happened almost exactly as predicted! A fair amount of what's happened over the last 25 years is us trying to paper over the consequences. The core disconnect was average people thinking peak oil meant literally running out of oil.

Fell Mood has issued a correction as of 04:41 on Mar 24, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Xaris posted:

One of the funniest things about America guzzling one of it's last remaining shots of oil-morphine to keep the party going is that KSA and RU still have a lot more oil. once America has tapped itself out trying to keep $3/gal gasoline for SUVS to frolick to-and-fro the suburbs to the strip malls, lest americans devolve into civil unrest, is that once it's gone it's gone. We could have doled it out slower, but no, we gotta get maximum profits right now this minute. so we'll be beholden to KSA and RU who have no desire to want to continue with the petrodollar, and because we've printed like $30 trillion dollars and gave it all to shareholders, the petrodollar is worthless without being literally the petrodollar.

get ready for some fun $20+/gal gas in the future -- that's going to completely destroy the entire american way of life (good, i'm actually excited). i'm looking forward to the end of burger nation

Mike Shellman’s an oil and blogger guy who is pretty peeved about this, given despite being a benefactor of “drill, baby, drill” he realises we’re (or you Yanks, I mean) being given the rope with which to hang ourselves either, to coin a phrase. The recent goings on in the empire has only strengthened any resolve to continue this process as the US admins continually find themselves stuck trying to maintain the non-negotiable American way of life, while also trying to not get snookered by more savvy oil having nations.

The public will simply hear “ALL TIME HIGHS” and get blindsided when their Hummer can no longer do much but absorb a monthly paycheque worth of guzzoline and offer little in return.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Fell Mood posted:

Yeah people using peak oil as an example always irritates the hell out of me. It happened! It happened almost exactly as predicted! A fair amount of what's happened over the last 25 years is us trying to paper over the consequences. The core disconnect was average people thinking peak oil meant literally running out of oil.

This is 70% true. There very much was still the assumption about the less sophisticated Peak Oilers that there'd be an obvious sign of crisis (total decline in liquids, rapid increase in prices, economic crisis). They underestimated how the system could both find alternative, less efficient supplies and externalize the problems out or downward. It wasn't so much a failure of understanding the economics or ecology but of capitalism.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
oh btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhIOCSz-VbY
people are forced to fund climate denial

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

KaptainKrunk posted:

This is 70% true. There very much was still the assumption about the less sophisticated Peak Oilers that there'd be an obvious sign of crisis (total decline in liquids, rapid increase in prices, economic crisis). They underestimated how the system could both find alternative, less efficient supplies and externalize the problems out or downward. It wasn't so much a failure of understanding the economics or ecology but of capitalism.

Yes, but this sort of thing happens with everything, including climate change. Any sort of negative prediction automatically gets lumped in with the most insane poo poo imaginable. When the world doesn't immediately collapse, the people who were originally saying that nothing was wrong claim victory and use that to continue justifying inaction.

It's not just a lack of nuance; it's that the only acceptable position is one where you pretend that a problem doesn't exist and that you should do nothing, because any other position is the same thing as donning a tinfoil hat and building a bunker in your backyard.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

thanks

:lmao: that it isnt mentioned in any article but the lobbyist group of egg producers is quoted saying "nothing we can do vOv" everywhere

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

russia is mere weeks from total collapse

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i am reading this thread in a strip club. i for one am enjoying my treats. how’s the weather?

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004
so what’s the play when the US is out of its oil? I’m guessing the people at large are not gonna take it lying down, who’s getting a coupe?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
It's all due to fracking in Texas and will begin declining soon

err has issued a correction as of 07:57 on Mar 24, 2024

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Paradoxish posted:

Yes, but this sort of thing happens with everything, including climate change. Any sort of negative prediction automatically gets lumped in with the most insane poo poo imaginable. When the world doesn't immediately collapse, the people who were originally saying that nothing was wrong claim victory and use that to continue justifying inaction.

It's not just a lack of nuance; it's that the only acceptable position is one where you pretend that a problem doesn't exist and that you should do nothing, because any other position is the same thing as donning a tinfoil hat and building a bunker in your backyard.

sigh, yeah

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

This is just the top inch of the ocean, right? Still super crazy bad. Is there any more data of what is happening further down, temperature?

Is there a tracker like this for the Pacific Ocean?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SA Forums Poster posted:

This is just the top inch of the ocean, right? Still super crazy bad. Is there any more data of what is happening further down, temperature?

Is there a tracker like this for the Pacific Ocean?
there's probably some noaa bouy data somewhere. sea surface is generally considered the upper 20cm, or very roughly a foot, not inch.

but deep sea, like 1000 to 6000 m is also warming by 0.02 - 0.04c per decadehttps://www.aoml.noaa.gov/news/deep-sea-is-slowing-warming/ https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2020GL089093

which uh doesnt sound like a lot but that's really bad considering fluctuations should be thousandths of a celcius

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

yep.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Xaris posted:

I didn't know this was called "cargoism". Kinda sad it's not a more fun term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I've had trouble finding good buoy data that provides temperature and salinity across depth. The recent temperature anomalies in the Atlantic are so drastic I've started to assume that there's some stratification going on, and this might be the start of the shutdown of parts of the thermohaline circulation such as the AMOC.