Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My wife keeps asking if I stopped playing final fantasy and I’m like no, the fact that I’m doing Bird Mario Kart is still final fantasy

This happened to me almost verbatim except it was gears and gambits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I want a standalone QB game really badly. As it stands, QB kinda rules, and all of the difficult QB stuff is gimmicky poo poo that made stuff like FF8's Triple Triad insufferable; you stop playing "actual" QB and start doing survival missions and trick boards and blah blah. I want to play games online with my Titan/Aerith/Cloud/Choco&Mog/UPA deck man this poo poo is fun as hell just let me play it more

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Books On Tape posted:

I should probably start blocking but I just don’t get it. I’ll block and still get hit hard. And with a million spell effects and such going off all at once I don’t know how you’re supposed to get timing down. I just gave up on it honestly.

Blocking and dodging shouldn’t even be in a final fantasy game. Leave that poo poo for elden ring.

Just put the game on easy. It legit sounds like you just don't want to play the game as it's presented and aren't trying to meet it on it's terms.

Idk why you'd ever cast cura outside of combat. Just put prayer on Barret or Tifa because they gain ATB insanely fast and use it whenever someone is hurt during a battle.

Dodge isn't useful in every case or at all a lot of the time, you can basically ignore it. It will convert Cloud's attacks to ranged tho. That's it's main use if you're being annoyed by flyers or similar evasive enemies - Cloud's sword is also a magic gun that can kill them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wamsutta posted:

Having a hell of a time navigating Cosmo Canyon, there’s map markers I just can’t find any way to access, the nearest chocco ramps are too far away, can’t overcome the verticality of it. I’m so tired

Just go to any chocobo ramp you see and there will usually be an obvious one directly across from it (or a fan or series of fans leading to the next one). Instead of trying to find your way to a specific location, just try to find chocobo ramps.

I think people are somehow just thinking about this stuff wrong, because I'm a person with unusually bad spatial skills and sense of direction but didn't have much trouble with either Gongaga or Cosmo Canyon.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Books On Tape posted:

I should probably start blocking but I just don’t get it. I’ll block and still get hit hard. And with a million spell effects and such going off all at once I don’t know how you’re supposed to get timing down. I just gave up on it honestly.

Blocking and dodging shouldn’t even be in a final fantasy game. Leave that poo poo for elden ring.

Blocking seems only viable with either red or cloud in punisher mode, and neither requires timing to get a decent effect. At least that’s the only time I use it manually. If I see an enemy about to smash into someone else that I’m controlling I just switch to a different character.

Also rolling feels pretty good with tifa and Yuffie.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 24, 2024

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well that’s everything before Hard mode done. Sit ups weren’t as bad as I was expecting. Like don’t get me they wrong, they were pretty hard, but I’d rather do them again before Send in the Clowns or Corel Intel 2

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

RatHat posted:

Well that’s everything before Hard mode done. Sit ups weren’t as bad as I was expecting. Like don’t get me they wrong, they were pretty hard, but I’d rather do them again before Send in the Clowns or Corel Intel 2

Send in the Clowns on Hard is hilarious

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Tips for the brutal combat sim round with Moss Adamantoise and Floating Death? I cannot get attacks going before someone dies to something and I can tread water flinging raises around for 30 seconds or so before the artillery fire takes its toll.

I never understood the Adamantoise. It seems like their shots are supposed to be a counter or something but they fire them off continuously while also doing other attacks and buffing themselves? Again, the assess screen says you can stop them from doing this by hitting them with fire but there must be a hell of a damage threshold on them because I'm hitting them over and over again and they're not getting pressured, let alone stopping firing off homing shells for a single second.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kind of surprised people are having that many issues with Corel Intel 2. The first four rounds are a cakewalk and it's just the final round that suddenly boosts in difficulty and the solution there is basically just 'bring Tifa and/or Yuffie and dodge a lot'.

I had more trouble with round 1 of 'We Are Gourmands' in the Gold Saucer because I had a hell of a time stopping my party being worm food. Hitbox absurd. Basically gotta switch to another character and then uses a synergy move to teleport them over.

And then next round having to deal with White Terror but WT is sleep-able at least while you deal with the Mousse.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

JBP posted:

Just put the game on easy. It legit sounds like you just don't want to play the game as it's presented and aren't trying to meet it on it's terms.

Idk why you'd ever cast cura outside of combat. Just put prayer on Barret or Tifa because they gain ATB insanely fast and use it whenever someone is hurt during a battle.

Dodge isn't useful in every case or at all a lot of the time, you can basically ignore it. It will convert Cloud's attacks to ranged tho. That's it's main use if you're being annoyed by flyers or similar evasive enemies - Cloud's sword is also a magic gun that can kill them.

What do you have to do to get them to gain ATB fast other than switch to them? They are abysmally slow unless I either switch to them or use a synergy skill.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean yeah you should be switching when you want someone to be gaining atb fast. Synergy abilities can help out when you're not playing as them but in general the game expects you to be switching pretty often if you want to be building up atb for the whole party

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Books On Tape posted:

What do you have to do to get them to gain ATB fast other than switch to them? They are abysmally slow unless I either switch to them or use a synergy skill.

Buddy, I'm very sorry to tell you that switching to other characters is a core game mechanic that you must interact with.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the game is really losing me with this Gi tribe stuff. lets get back to Cloud awkwardly staring at Tifa please

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Books On Tape posted:

I generally build ATB on a character, fire off an ability or spell and then switch to the next lowest ATB character. switching often is good because enemies tend to beeline for whoever you are controlling so you can get some good hits off while they are distracted with the character you were just using. it’s also just fun to be constantly hot potatoing between characters because they are all cool to use in their own ways

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I agree that most characters are fun to use, but Aeris is just not clicking with me. I've found her decent for bosses when hitting weaknesses but otherwise she just seems boring and painfully slow to build ATB even when charging her square attack.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spiggy posted:

I agree that most characters are fun to use, but Aeris is just not clicking with me. I've found her decent for bosses when hitting weaknesses but otherwise she just seems boring and painfully slow to build ATB even when charging her square attack.

Just drop the radiant ward and she builds ATB nearly as fast as Barret.

Use the spell blade synergy skill on Cloud and she will get two bars in ten seconds (so will Cloud). Drop two wards and go to town.

E: she's my favourite character use. Perfectly crafted wizard character, just takes some thought to get her up and running. She's the most powerful character in the game imo.

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 24, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Several hours later I have to stop for the night and I still haven't got through Brutal 4. Definitely leaning toward a verdict of permanent exile from video games for everyone who designed these. Their spite is self-evident, so permit me mine.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was in chapter 12 hard mode to re-fight all the intel bosses and figured "gently caress it, let's give the actual chapter a try too" and it took me a while but I finally beat Rufus and I feel like that one is probably one of the hardest to get through on a hard mode playthrough so I'm pretty jazzed right now.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

JBP posted:

Just drop the radiant ward and she builds ATB nearly as fast as Barret.

Use the spell blade synergy skill on Cloud and she will get two bars in ten seconds (so will Cloud). Drop two wards and go to town.

E: she's my favourite character use. Perfectly crafted wizard character, just takes some thought to get her up and running. She's the most powerful character in the game imo.

Thanks for the tips. It's 100% on me but I never really interacted with her wards. Coincidentally, black mage is my least played class in FF XIV.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
God, I've just remembered how many of these sims are still left to do

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

JBP posted:

Buddy, I'm very sorry to tell you that switching to other characters is a core game mechanic that you must interact with.

I think I’m just getting old. Combat already looks like a mess of spell effects and enemies jumping around all over the place so I end up just button mashing with cloud and using triple slash until things are dead.

Switching characters nonstop just makes me dizzy.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Books On Tape posted:

I think I’m just getting old. Combat already looks like a mess of spell effects and enemies jumping around all over the place so I end up just button mashing with cloud and using triple slash until things are dead.

just change to easy mode. that's what i did, no shame. i don't have the patience to die to bosses over and over or learn split-second blocks anymore

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Books On Tape posted:

Here's the big hint:
pressing the X button to open the menu slows everything down to like 1/100th speed so you can always get your bearings, see what is going on and unpause to block something perfectly.

If you need even more time to think, hit the touchpad to open up the Assess screen so you can think.

You are Assessing every new enemy, right?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Here’s a perfect example of what’s wrong with this game.

I’m fighting the flying robot thing on mt Corel. It has this laser attack that is undodgable and kills whoever it is aimed at. There is ZERO indication what you’re supposed to do. Every fight has some BS mechanic like this that I have to google.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean you dodge it right? Like its not easy to do but there's no "trick" or hidden mechanic. You get in close so you don't get lasered. Its just a hard fight.

Game can just be sorta difficult at times.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean you dodge it right? Like its not easy to do but there's no "trick" or hidden mechanic. You get in close so you don't get lasered. Its just a hard fight.

Game can just be sorta difficult at times.

That’s the crux of it. It’s like the developers got such a hard on playing Elden ring, and had to ruin such a great series by trying to emulate it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You can just walk away from the laser. It shows you where it's going to hit from memory. I also don't recall it being a ohko.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

JBP posted:

You can just walk away from the laser. It shows you where it's going to hit from memory. I also don't recall it being a ohko.

It follows you through dodges and does about 200 damage per second for a few seconds then it’s final hit killed me each time.

It’s frustrating because I have done all side quests and optional stuff up to this point and leveled my characters well. In previous final fantasy’s or rpgs this is usually rewarded with being able to feel strong against bosses.

That just doesn’t happen in this game. I feel like I barely get by each boss and my levels don’t mean poo poo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you’re playing on dynamic that’ll be why, it’s scaling everything along with you

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

JBP posted:

Its big damage. It was the first boss I got a game over on and was only on the second try when I learned how to dodge the big laser. Game still feels mostly on the easier side compared to Remake but Valkyrie was one of the earliest difficulty bumps. The Hell House of this game.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I love this game so much, it might be one of my all time best games, but loving hell the chocobo stealth mini games are the worst.
It's game design based solely around trying to bore you to tears and then punish you for being impatient. Slow puzzle stealth has never been fun unless it gives you tools to manipulate the situation (ie: mgs). Any kind of 'puzzle' gameplay where the solution is easy but it takes 10 minutes to implement drives me up the loving wall.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The thing that comes up over and over in this game and in Remake is momentum. More than any particular thing in any given fight that's specifically difficult to deal with, maintenance takes resources and recovery takes more resources so if you get hit too hard you can get stuck in a holding pattern that's difficult to escape. So whatever the problem of the day is that gets you in trouble, like Valkyrie's big fuckoff laser, it's not what causes you to game-over; it's the attrition that follows.

The biggest direct help with this is the Item Master and Item Efficiency materia - I think those are the names anyway, they're the ones that respectively let you use an item without using ATB every few actions and the one that makes items heal more. These are a godsend if you're on the back foot a lot because they let you keep your ATB for getting back into the fight or consolidating once the item has done your recovery. Beyond that, each fight basically has to be learned. For better or worse, both the ReGames want you to be retrying a fair bit, and often reequipping.

For specific fight tips: you gotta move. Valkyrie makes you move. The laser wants as much lateral as you have, and also he likes to set stuff on fire and wait for you to walk into it and don't do that. Aerith isn't very fast but if she has a ward down she can teleport to it, but if the ward is on fire then don't do that unless it's to avoid a laser. Cloud can just be in the air a lot to avoid fire. The dodge rolls might not have i-frames but they're good for burst movement. Once you're comfortable weathering its attacks, you can find yourself with a ton of ATB left over when it has to use its cooling system.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

guts and bolts posted:

I want a standalone QB game really badly. As it stands, QB kinda rules, and all of the difficult QB stuff is gimmicky poo poo that made stuff like FF8's Triple Triad insufferable; you stop playing "actual" QB and start doing survival missions and trick boards and blah blah. I want to play games online with my Titan/Aerith/Cloud/Choco&Mog/UPA deck man this poo poo is fun as hell just let me play it more

So how long until they add QB as yet another FF14 sidegame.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

People use synergy skills? Not a joke, every time I’ve used one they’ve felt painfully underpowered and they add another layer to a combat system that’s chaotic and keeps-your-hands-full enough between atb skills, synergy abilities, attacking, and character switching.

It also doesn’t help that you can’t pause to use them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NieR Occomata posted:

People use synergy skills? Not a joke, every time I’ve used one they’ve felt painfully underpowered and they add another layer to a combat system that’s chaotic and keeps-your-hands-full enough between atb skills, synergy abilities, attacking, and character switching.

Spell blade with Cloud and Aerith does Braver damage for free.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

Some of them hit insanely hard, are powerful defensive options, and build ATB in situations you normally can't.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It's a lot easier to get knocked out of spell blade but yeah all the hold button synergy skills I've seen are nuts. The other offensive ones I haven't really found to be useful at all but the defensive ones often help out when you're trying to hit an enemy that keeps disappearing

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The two synergy options I really use are Spellblade and Heavenly Ascent.

Spellblade does superbig damage (and you can fiddle with Aerith's folio to give her bonus damage on synergy skills) and fills up hers and Cloud's ATB.

Heavenly Ascent is basically needed to get Tifa up into the air but once she is there she can hang there as long as you keep actively controlling her which is useful against airborne enemies.

I should really use Counterfire more but it's easy to forget it's there even when you're about to be hit by a big obvious ranged projectile.

Other abilities are mostly useful to teleport allies to safety. If your current character is about to be hit by a binding attack, quickly switch to someone else and use Savior or whatever to pull them to safety.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

After the Gongaga and Cosmo Canyon bosses taught me their uses i've been using the physical counter synergies Tifa and Red have a whole bunch. Extremely generous dodge frames on those and quick recovery so you can kinda just throw em out.

E: The invinciblity frames on Barret's charge can kinda have the same use as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

mistermojo posted:

the game is really losing me with this Gi tribe stuff. lets get back to Cloud awkwardly staring at Tifa please
That section dragged a bit for me too. Cutting 10-15% would be an improvement imo.