Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

With all the talk about PR from the previous page, this tweet made me laugh, as it throws a curveball into the mix
https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1771624960173195419

Niric posted:

But loving hell, fuctifino's relentless conspiracy bullshit and regurgitation of the absolute worst twitter bullshit is exhausting

Apart from this one, every other post of yours in this thread has been perfect.

If you don't like my posts, the block feature is there for a reason... or cry harder, :allears:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

gently caress cancer. I hope all those in treatment make swift and full recoveries.

Still though, as others have said, Kate not only knew what she was getting into, she apparently actively wanted to "bag a prince" or whatever.

Like, all people are entitled to privacy, to some extent or other, but also if you marry a future king in a nation so monarchy-cucked then yeah, you're not loving getting any.

I don't know why they just didn't come out and say it earlier. Whole thing has been totally farcical.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Going back to the subject of doctors, how often is the right amount to see a doctor? I am very much in the 'don't want to bother them' camp with a generous sprinkling of 'panic and forget all my symptoms once I'm in and am convinced they don't believe me' on top.

I've pretty much stopped going about the mystery pain and feeling of swelling in the side of my head, after I accidentally used the words 'ache' and 'head' in front of a junior gp who the wrote headache on my file and now I have to spend most of the appointment trying to explain it's not a headache, and no paracetamol hasn't helped at any point over the last five or so years.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Honestly it's really hard to say what the "right" amount is but you do definitely sometimes need to make a pain in the arse of yourself and be your own advocate.

I had about 3 years of loving about with a wrist injury I *knew* needed some kind of surgery or something. Nobody would listen to me. Got seen by a bunch of doctors and bounced around to occupational health who immediately said they couldn't do anything for me. Had docs recommending accupuncture and all kinds of poo poo.

Ultimately went to see a private wrist surgeon who told me how to book to see him directly on the NHS, where he referred me for an MRI, and wouldn't you know it, clear as day on the MRI was a ganglion cyst on a tendon that was pressing on a nerve, and I got surgery and it was fixed.

So I would say that if something is actually affecting your life, then yeah keep going until somebody takes you seriously. Go private if you have the means - even for just an initial consultation, as you may be able to then work the system like I did and still get most of the stuff done on the NHS.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vitamin P posted:

That's cool, throw your vote away on an independent that will lose. But in the meantime maybe put time into pushing the open door of electoral reform so your next vote might actually matter.

Could you turn up the smugness just a little more? You're very close to sounding like a D&D Biden supporter but not quite there.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

WhatEvil posted:

Honestly it's really hard to say what the "right" amount is but you do definitely sometimes need to make a pain in the arse of yourself and be your own advocate.

I had about 3 years of loving about with a wrist injury I *knew* needed some kind of surgery or something. Nobody would listen to me. Got seen by a bunch of doctors and bounced around to occupational health who immediately said they couldn't do anything for me. Had docs recommending accupuncture and all kinds of poo poo.

Ultimately went to see a private wrist surgeon who told me how to book to see him directly on the NHS, where he referred me for an MRI, and wouldn't you know it, clear as day on the MRI was a ganglion cyst on a tendon that was pressing on a nerve, and I got surgery and it was fixed.

So I would say that if something is actually affecting your life, then yeah keep going until somebody takes you seriously. Go private if you have the means - even for just an initial consultation, as you may be able to then work the system like I did and still get most of the stuff done on the NHS.

On the flip side of that, my friend who is a physiotherapist has constant patient stories about those who insist that surgery will be the answer to all their problems and barely engage with any other treatments.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WhatEvil posted:

gently caress cancer. I hope all those in treatment make swift and full recoveries.

Still though, as others have said, Kate not only knew what she was getting into, she apparently actively wanted to "bag a prince" or whatever.

Like, all people are entitled to privacy, to some extent or other, but also if you marry a future king in a nation so monarchy-cucked then yeah, you're not loving getting any.

I don't know why they just didn't come out and say it earlier. Whole thing has been totally farcical.

I can only imagine that they needed to know how to frame it. They didn't want to say it was no big deal then have it turn out to be Stage 4 cancer of the gently caress You, and likewise didn't want to play it up as potentially life threatening then have it turn out to be nothing. "We're not telling you until we know what we're telling you" is not an unreasonable position. They'd already released that Kate had had surgery; everyone just got bent out of shape with them not disclosing what it was for.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's something that bothers me honestly, that you sometimes (or often?) don't get health care unless you make a nuisance of yourself. It seems to be such a common occurrence too. I guess people are too meek just get to die or suffer needless complications? I got enough personal experiences of it both ways.

I would've been sent home with Myocarditis and some paracetamol when I was younger if my mom hadn't been an utter PITA to the personnel and refused to leave before I got an EKG, after which they whisked me away in an ambulance and I was hospitalized for a week.

Likewise I got diabetes because after years of complaining about stomach pain and only getting stronger painkillers (despite them seeing I had gall stones) it ended up damaging my pancreas. I didn't even know that was possible! But that's how I now need insulin, glucose sensors and meds. I will cost the health care system 1000x more than I would have otherwise done. I finally got the gall bladder removed at least. So I should've been more of an rear end in a top hat is my takeaway.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think the problem is, to relate it back to my own work, is that you have certain things you are fairly sure something most likely is and so you default to going "oh yeah, it's that thing. Anything else you are saying is just superfluous cruft around the essential issue that I can fix by doing x"

And often it turns out the person was asking about something else or "that thing" is in fact a whole lot more complex in this case or caused by a thing of Y and Z as well. The problem is that it takes so long to get seen and the pain can cause such issues in the intervening that it becomes a larger scale issue.

I hope that everyone who is having any medical issues gets it dealt with properly!

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I’m one of those who are getting a new constituency so no idea how things will go but I suspect Lib Dem or Labour. I guess when the locals are out I will have a better idea of how this will swing.

As for NHS, it’s a bit of a “depends where you are” because GPs are human some might be busy, some might not, you might know your GP name or might be from a pool. I would say if things change with your body which are unexpected, new bumps, lumps, change of your attitude, fatigue, stuff where you are “well this cough is a bitch to get rid of” that would be where you would go. If they are expected, something where you are a bit “well I feel poo poo” then a pharmacy would be a good call. Finally if something has gone wrong really quickly and it is something that needs urgently to be fixed then to urgent care / a&e you go.

If something long term your GP does not really do much about at the time then monitor it, take notes on what changes occur, pop it in a journal. Give it a couple of months or if there is significant change and go again.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The trick to navigating the NHS is just to not get ill.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jedit posted:

I can only imagine that they needed to know how to frame it. They didn't want to say it was no big deal then have it turn out to be Stage 4 cancer of the gently caress You, and likewise didn't want to play it up as potentially life threatening then have it turn out to be nothing. "We're not telling you until we know what we're telling you" is not an unreasonable position. They'd already released that Kate had had surgery; everyone just got bent out of shape with them not disclosing what it was for.

Well then, frame it along the line of "potentially cancerous cells were discovered; medical investigation is underway; no further details will be disclosed at this time; the princess and her family would prefer privacy and peace during this sensitive time bla bla". Sorted.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Sadly, but inevitably, there is a group of GPs who only seem interested in the health of their patients as it relates to the kind of monitoring that makes the GP practice money (blood pressure, BMI, smoking/drinking status, etc). The kind of thing where you go in concerned that your foot is oozing pus and the first thing they do is put the cuff around your arm. Like I say: inevitable (when those are the targets set), but not very helpful for the patient.
I go to the GP maybe every 4-5 years, and when I went recently, this is what they did, despite me complaining of a bad cough. Then after telling me it was likely viral, they offered me antibiotics, which got on my nerves to the point I briefly considered the possibility of reporting them.

There is a lot to say for GPs being massively pushed for time, though. I look at referrals from GPs every day and most of them are bad, but I think 75% of that is because the GP can bash something bad out in 5 minutes that technically is what they said they'd do, whereas doing a good job can take a lot of time. I saw a referral this week from a GP who'd done a very good job of the referral (the first outright good referral I've seen in several months), but it had absolutely taken a lot more time than the 8 minutes most GPs have for a consultation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kingturnip posted:

Sadly, but inevitably, there is a group of GPs who only seem interested in the health of their patients as it relates to the kind of monitoring that makes the GP practice money (blood pressure, BMI, smoking/drinking status, etc). The kind of thing where you go in concerned that your foot is oozing pus and the first thing they do is put the cuff around your arm. Like I say: inevitable (when those are the targets set), but not very helpful for the patient.
I go to the GP maybe every 4-5 years, and when I went recently, this is what they did, despite me complaining of a bad cough. Then after telling me it was likely viral, they offered me antibiotics, which got on my nerves to the point I briefly considered the possibility of reporting them.

There is a lot to say for GPs being massively pushed for time, though. I look at referrals from GPs every day and most of them are bad, but I think 75% of that is because the GP can bash something bad out in 5 minutes that technically is what they said they'd do, whereas doing a good job can take a lot of time. I saw a referral this week from a GP who'd done a very good job of the referral (the first outright good referral I've seen in several months), but it had absolutely taken a lot more time than the 8 minutes most GPs have for a consultation.

Feel like we should have an economy that incentivises more people to do useful but hard jobs like being a GP, instead of well paid money shuffling nonsense

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I would vote for a million no-hoper independents before I even considered voting loving Reform

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Julio Cruz posted:

I would vote for a million no-hoper independents before I even considered voting loving Reform

Yep. There is something to be said for pragmatism, but sometimes it has to take a back seat.

Also, whoops swapped reform for Labour there. Point still stand about voting for no hopres though.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 24, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Going back to the subject of doctors, how often is the right amount to see a doctor? I am very much in the 'don't want to bother them' camp with a generous sprinkling of 'panic and forget all my symptoms once I'm in and am convinced they don't believe me' on top.

I've pretty much stopped going about the mystery pain and feeling of swelling in the side of my head, after I accidentally used the words 'ache' and 'head' in front of a junior gp who the wrote headache on my file and now I have to spend most of the appointment trying to explain it's not a headache, and no paracetamol hasn't helped at any point over the last five or so years.

Part of what "should/used go" happen is you have a named GP who should be seeing you most of the time and the theory was they would get to know you as an individual and all your various quirks. So they would know if you were someone who showed up every time they stubbed their toe or if the last time you appeared you were trying to walk off meningitis and tailor their assessment and responses accordingly. Now this isn't to say you won't get some dismissive rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a poo poo, but right now you have a revolving door of locum GPs, pharmacists, nurse practioners, paramedics etc who have been shanghaied into acting as full on GPs despite not actually having the training or qualifications to do so.

There was a Graun article recently about how the govt had incentivised recruiting non-GP practioners instead of actual doctors to the point where there are trained GPs hanging around without a job despite the mass shortage of GPs.

In hospital you have cash starved trusts not replacing expensive staff (consultants) as they retire despite demand increasing - and the govt trying to defray this by using PAs and AI instead. Good luck in the future when you show up with a hole in your head and the AI says you're fine actually.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.politics.co.uk/news/2024/03/22/geoffrey-cox-warns-annihilation-of-conservative-party-would-be-bad-for-democracy/

quote:

Speaking about the party’s electoral prospects more broadly, former attorney general Sir Geoffrey told GB News: “The Conservative Party represents a cluster of important values, ideals and principles which if the country is without, it is a very dangerous thing for democracy.

“At the moment, an 80-seat majority is big but the proposal at the moment, the suggestion that Labour might win a 200-seat majority effectively annihilates any credible opposition.

“That’s bad for democracy, but on our part, we need to show why we should be elected again, why our party stands for really important values and principles.”

I'm getting a lot of schadenfreude watching establishment Tories panic like this. It's doubly hilarious when they start inadvertently lobbying for PR.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fuctifino posted:

https://www.politics.co.uk/news/2024/03/22/geoffrey-cox-warns-annihilation-of-conservative-party-would-be-bad-for-democracy/

I'm getting a lot of schadenfreude watching establishment Tories panic like this. It's doubly hilarious when they start inadvertently lobbying for PR.

Labour don't need a 200-seat majority to eliminate any credible opposition. They've already achieved that by putting Keith in the leader's chair.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Then what are the old duffer tories worried about?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i would assume the usual benefits of being in a governing or at least large-ish party: direct access to power, better chances at cushy lords seats, improved ability to give money to their mates, that sort of thing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Being rejected by voters in democratic election will be the end of democracy!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Having to earn Honors the proper way and not by just buying them.
Having to earn contracts by....shudder.....applying and tendering for them.
Having to pay for their own lunches.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Democracy is being able to hold the governing party to account when you're in opposition, but not being held to account by the opposition when you're in government

Also, yes, being able to give your friends hundreds of millions of pounds for doing nothing useful

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I do wonder if we had a hope filled opposition party run by RLB as opposed to "More of the same boot, but with a wet eggs face" if it wouldn't just give the Tories something to rally against.

I'm just hoping there's long enough til the next election and enough of a campaign from people to vote green or independent that it can make a dent.

My labour MP is active in the constituency and does actually do local work and so far has responded to everything I've written to him.

It just feels like wasted breath to write and say, hey. Why should I vote labour. I'd vote for you, but I don't like your leadership or what the party stands for. How do you reconcile that ?Because it's not like, even if he was a secret left winger, that he'd admit it in writing or be able to say anything other than the party line.

The whole system basically feels hosed because any deviation means you get kicked out. It's only really been a broad church during Corbyn and many here have said they wished he'd gone full stalin on the PLP back then. How do you win?

https://sheffieldgreenparty.org.uk/sgp-officer-elections-job-descriptions-candidate-statements/liam-hardy-officer-2022/ this is my last green party candidate. He has less than a thousand Twitter followers and LinkedIn followers. He is basically invisible in the ward and I have no hope for him, despite him seeming to be a pretty nice bloke. I think my posts on this loving forum talking about my rear end in a top hat have more outreach, and it's just like... How the hell do you fix that?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mebh posted:

I think my posts on this loving forum talking about my rear end in a top hat have more outreach

Sounds like it's time to form the UKMT Socialist Party

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

The whole system basically feels hosed because any deviation means you get kicked out. It's only really been a broad church during Corbyn and many here have said they wished he'd gone full stalin on the PLP back then. How do you win?

https://sheffieldgreenparty.org.uk/sgp-officer-elections-job-descriptions-candidate-statements/liam-hardy-officer-2022/ this is my last green party candidate. He has less than a thousand Twitter followers and LinkedIn followers. He is basically invisible in the ward and I have no hope for him, despite him seeming to be a pretty nice bloke. I think my posts on this loving forum talking about my rear end in a top hat have more outreach, and it's just like... How the hell do you fix that?

I did see Corbyn referred to as Jam Lenin somewhere today - might have been Reddit, Twitter or mumsnet

Re your green bloke, seems like he needs a hand with the socials. Don't know if you have a lively local facebook group or local paper 'everyone' reads, maybe get some letters in there you could do something like contact him and see which particular policies he would like brought to the fore eg dog poo (round our way it's all dog poo & the young 'uns revving car engines all night oh & mysterious blokes in hoodies walking down the street) then you could write a letter to the paper "What are the parties proposing about dog poo" & give him a heads up to reply.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

We have a "but the youths" Facebook group, But politics is banned there. Fact is this ward will likely entirely benefit from short term Starmer. It's 2.3 kids, tiny dogs and Audis all the way down.

They think the height of rebellion is shopping at ALDI and think that the only way to deal with young people existing without an escort is to call the police.

I'm just going to message the green candidate and ask what's up. He seems to be entirely focused on national green party issues which I think is the trap.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I missed this from the other day:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...h_b-aplnews_d-5

quote:

James Cleverly, the home secretary, spent £165,561 chartering a private jet for a one-day round trip to Rwanda to sign Rishi Sunak’s deportation deal in Kigali.

The trip took place on 4 December to sign the new deal with the east African state after the supreme court’s finding that Rwanda was an “unsafe country”.

Cleverly travelled to Kigali with officials and a TV crew and signed the new legally binding treaty alongside Rwanda’s foreign affairs minister, Vincent Biruta.

The disclosure comes just weeks after the government was heavily criticised for planning to spend £1.8m on each of the first 300 asylum seekers it plans to send to Rwanda.

I really hope the full footage of the flight gets released at some point. It would be doubly hilarious if it ends up as evidence in court proceedings, like some of Trump's documentary footage.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/24/thousands-of-london-homes-at-risk-from-holiday-lets-plan

quote:

Thousands of London long-term rental properties at risk from holiday lets plan

A loophole in government proposals to clamp down on Airbnb-style holiday lets could lead to the loss of thousands of long-term rental properties for families in London.

The government scrapped tax breaks for holiday homes in the budget and last month unveiled a registration scheme to help councils control the booming holiday let market, which Michael Gove, the levelling-up secretary, claims is denying local people the opportunity to buy or rent a home.

But the government also intends to give landlords a “permitted development right” to change rented properties into holiday accommodation without planning permission. This could overturn existing planning controls in London, where landlords seeking to let homes to tourists for more than 90 days must first ask borough planners.

Adam Hug, the Labour leader of Westminster city council, said the changes could lead to the loss of more than 10,000 rentable homes in Westminster: “Our fear is these changes will override existing controls in London and make a bad situation even worse,” he said. “The real losers in this will be people looking to rent properties who now have even less chance of finding a home.”

While councils will be able to bring in planning controls in areas blighted by too many holiday lets, they will need to collect robust evidence and take part in a year-long process. Camden council cabinet member Danny Beales wrote to Gove warning that a “12-month delay means we would be closing the stable door after the horse has bolted”.

The government is also proposing to give retrospective planning permission to properties now used for holiday rentals. Beales argues this would aid landlords already evading planning restrictions in London. The London borough estimates it and could lead to the loss of 6,000 homes, “equating to a loss of equivalent to the amount of housing Camden is expected to deliver in the next six years”.

Holiday lets are a far more lucrative option for landlords. The owner of a one-bed studio in Camden can make £1,173 per week as a holiday let compared with £270 on the private rental market, according to the borough.

I'm sure property owners will do the honourable thing by continuing to rent their properties to families, rather than see a 4.3x increase in income by switching to AirBNB.

And on the subject of housing:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/24/planned-cuts-to-shelters-in-england-will-cost-lives-say-homeless-people

quote:

Planned cuts to shelters in England will cost lives, say homeless people

Homeless people struggling with addiction and their mental health have attacked a looming wave of council cuts to hostel services as “plain stupidity” that will cost lives.

A deepening town hall funding crisis is threatening shelters and support workers from Hampshire to Leicestershire, affecting hundreds of homeless people from the start of next month despite rising homelessness.

Charities that help homeless people in Kent are losing £5m a year in county council funding from 1 April as the county faces a £84m budget gap. Leicestershire county council has approved a £300,000 cut affecting a 30-bed supported housing service in Loughborough from the same date. Hampshire county council is proposing a £2m cut next year and Suffolk county council has to make a £1.5m cut starting next month.

The article has lots of real-life examples of how these cuts are going to affect people, and it makes grim reading.

e: added lol https://twitter.com/danwootton/status/1771814097383829722

His comeback is to produce a list of his enemies? lmao....

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 24, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Guess woke is well and truly meaningless now.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Lineker :argh:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

"James O'Brien promotes a lack of tolerance and hate! Now, watch the rest of my FIFTY PEOPLE YOU SHOULD HATE THAT I HATE BECAUSE I HATE THEM, available on my website"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Guess woke is well and truly meaningless now.

Please. It was over when HS2 was called woke

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well I dunno what any of that means, let alone that instance of the word woke

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Well I dunno what any of that means, let alone that instance of the word woke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2lXf9r5DSM

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mebh posted:

I do wonder if we had a hope filled opposition party run by RLB as opposed to "More of the same boot, but with a wet eggs face" if it wouldn't just give the Tories something to rally against.

I'm just hoping there's long enough til the next election and enough of a campaign from people to vote green or independent that it can make a dent.

My labour MP is active in the constituency and does actually do local work and so far has responded to everything I've written to him.

It just feels like wasted breath to write and say, hey. Why should I vote labour. I'd vote for you, but I don't like your leadership or what the party stands for. How do you reconcile that ?Because it's not like, even if he was a secret left winger, that he'd admit it in writing or be able to say anything other than the party line.

I don't know. I'm not sure why you were asking us how to fix your rear end in a top hat in the first place.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sometimes the sunset makes the woke sky say trans rights, clearly we need to nuke it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Sometimes the sunset makes the woke sky say trans rights, clearly we need to nuke it

I'm pondering that woke sky again

https://twitter.com/RepClayHiggins/status/1498015748492599297?t=cUdPvVc5lGRBVk7kg2kAxw&s=19