Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Getting really bored of getting stunlocked right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

Getting really bored of getting stunlocked right now!

Simply stop getting hit.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any reason to sleep at an inn except to update your pawn? They cost a lot of money and don't even provide a buff, whereas camping is free and does.
There are two save games--one that's constantly autosaving (you can also manually save it) and one that's your last rest at an inn (camping does not count).

Reloading from last save when you die incurs a health penalty and might put you back in a bad or impossible position, where reloading to the last inn save will let you trade your progress (if any) for full health and a safe place. I think it's usually worth resting at an inn before you're planning to leave town for a while, at least.

I wouldn't worry much about the money. You do have to ration it early on as you're starting out, but pretty soon you'll make enough money from quests/chests/monster drops/etc. that it'll be close to trivial.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A male and female NPC at the main town inn suddenly decided to start just beating the utter poo poo out of each other for like 1 minute straight up on the stage where the lady plays her songs. What passes for entertainment nowadays!

Eventually they just kind of stopped, went,"I wonder what I should do now?" and went back to milling around in the inn.

In much more frustrating news, I took on a griffon, got it right down near death and then got dropped to the ground and despite appearing to still have health the game just went,"Oh too bad, you died, wanna load your last save?" - I tried the fight again and knocked down one pip on its life bar, but then it just flew away :argh:

In much more wholesome news, during another fight I got flung through the air and my main pawn caught me in his arms and went,"Good thing I was here, huh?" :swoon:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

In much more wholesome news, during another fight I got flung through the air and my main pawn caught me in his arms and went,"Good thing I was here, huh?" :swoon:

I just had the same thing happen when I jumped off a cliff. It's a neat detail.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TeaJay posted:

I just got my first Seeker token from the big rear end headless statue right outside Melve near the old woman and her apprentice quest. Should be easy to remember.

I mean, I'm meant to talk to Ser Whatever at the gates of Melve and head to the capital with him, but I just keep finding stuff in these starter woods!

e: Got killed by a loving slime

How do you start that quest? I found that hut and they just kept complaining about eachother at me.

Also how did you get killed by a slime? My main strategy for fighting those things is to just stand in them and mash attack, they do nothing to me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so I think I used one of those tomes this wizard dude is looking for to see what it did. It's not unique, is it? Is there any way of getting another one?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nuebot posted:

How do you start that quest? I found that hut and they just kept complaining about eachother at me.

Also how did you get killed by a slime? My main strategy for fighting those things is to just stand in them and mash attack, they do nothing to me.

Well, they are immune to physical attacks, and once my elemental weapon buff ran out, they just slimed me and I was "caught" in them and got stunlocked and died. It probably didn't help I had huge death penalty racked up. Eventually managed to get through the cave.

To start the quest, the old woman just leaves after a while and goes to the hill where the big statue is, I could talk to the girl when she was gone and she started the quest. She does mention to bring the grimoires when the granny is not around, so maybe it even fails if you don't?

I'm traveling with Ser Gregor now and he said we were supposed to get an ox-cart, but it's nowhere to be seen. I remember others talking about an ox-cart, so is this actually a consequence of me dawdling around before going on his quest or is it just a scripted thing?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Well, they are immune to physical attacks, and once my elemental weapon buff ran out, they just slimed me and I was "caught" in them and got stunlocked and died. It probably didn't help I had huge death penalty racked up. Eventually managed to get through the cave.

To start the quest, the old woman just leaves after a while and goes to the hill where the big statue is, I could talk to the girl when she was gone and she started the quest. She does mention to bring the grimoires when the granny is not around, so maybe it even fails if you don't?

I'm traveling with Ser Gregor now and he said we were supposed to get an ox-cart, but it's nowhere to be seen. I remember others talking about an ox-cart, so is this actually a consequence of me dawdling around before going on his quest or is it just a scripted thing?

Oh okay, I thought they somehow had like a secret damage move or something or there were surprise variants that could poison you or some poo poo :tinfoil: they can be a problem like that, yeah. They also slow you down if you're trying to fight the goblins behind them. I kind of like that approach to slime design? That they, themselves, aren't something that will kill you but they're a pretty dangerous obstacle you can kill and it adds an element of picking who to prioritize in dangerous fights.

Thanks, though, I'll have to run back to that hut then, maybe granny's outside now.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Considering you can just quit and reload and incure 0 penalty I hope they patch out the extra wound penalty for reloading from a game over. The only design space I could see it filling is telling the player "ok you've bashed your head against this fight 6 times and haven't figured out you're not ready for it yet. Will taking away your max HP until you leave send the message?"

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

TeaJay posted:

Not sure specifically what quest you're on but if you need to summon an ox cart look for the ox head icon on a map and use a bell there to summon one. I had a quest where I had to ride one and it got interrupted by a fight and the cart ran away.l, I went back to town and got another cart - the people I was meant to rid with were waiting for me at the destination.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Feels like it takes awhile for trickster to gain the ability to do much of anything.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

it's less "scam" and more that you're paying a premium for getting an item immediately versus finding it in the wild somewhere. not every item is in a chest, though a lot of them are, but knowing where they are is another matter entirely

Speaking of, since the wikis are still barebones, what's the best bow you guys have found so far, and where did you get it?

I bought Savage Fang in Vernworth and haven't found anything better so far, though I have yet to reach the western settlement. I saw a pawn who seemed to have good stats with this spiky kind of bow and wondered where they got it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Everdraed posted:

edit: do NOT hire this pawn they are a QUINCE THIEF they did it before they will do it again

of course

Inclination: Serene Calm as they knowingly pluck a vital quince and consume it whole (doesn't even taste it) just to see an old man die

You hired a CAPCOM pawn, you brought it on yourself you scab

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

nvm

Game rules so far.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 24, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah I'm increasingly reading my calm pawn as catty and I love it.

Half the time when I try to make small talk she says something like 'this is no time for idle chatter, Master', which is pawn speak for 'shut the gently caress up'

Clocks posted:

Man, I got a tutorial popup about dragonblight or whatever the pawn STD is and :staredog: You can only get rid of it by passing it on to someone else. I got rid of that pawn as soon as I could (I found it outdoors or I would've immediately replaced it) but now there's no knowing if I have it instead. :negative:

Then I died to a wild dragon and the game crashed when I reloaded. I wouldn't have died if I was still playing thief but I was trying to level up mystic spearhand. It's a fun class but it doesn't feel as strong so far.

Clocks! I've been using Her Highness, and it is a joy watching her flit from container to container, smashing everything in sight. One time I got a Panacea from a crate that I wouldn't have bothered destroying otherwise. She also has the perfect people-pleasing British lady voice. 5/5 :discourse:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Phlegmish posted:

Speaking of, since the wikis are still barebones, what's the best bow you guys have found so far, and where did you get it?

I bought Savage Fang in Vernworth and haven't found anything better so far, though I have yet to reach the western settlement. I saw a pawn who seemed to have good stats with this spiky kind of bow and wondered where they got it

Real talk go west, past the river to the elf town to get a good bow early (if you have money), it’s actually not that far from melve

Edit: has anyone hired Danny? Did he do good for you? I’ve been debating changing his class from the rp thief because he rarely seems to get hired but he kicks a lot of rear end for me so idk

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 24, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You also get a really good bow if you do the quest for the elf dude that asks you for a bow in the main city. He should be hanging out outside the weapon merchant.

Edit: That quest also made me lol, because the elf goes like "What, you humans make bows for actual shooting? We elves make bows for the heart!"

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 24, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

being a fighter is just a Lot of Fun in this game. I picked up a pawn lady who's also one and we bestow stern nods of approbation on each other over piles of newly-minted corpses, it's great.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tabletops posted:

Real talk go west, past the river to the elf town to get a good bow early (if you have money), it’s actually not that far from melve

I have money but I have no idea where the spoilered area is, could you mark it on my map

Broken Cog posted:

You also get a really good bow if you do the quest for the elf dude that asks you for a bow in the main city. He should be hanging out outside the weapon merchant.

Oh, I guess I should do it then. I didn't feel like it since I'd have to change my vocation but I would do anything to get better gear for my pawn

vv :tipshat:

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 24, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phlegmish posted:

I have money but I have no idea where the spoilered area is, could you mark it on my map

If you do the quest I mentioned, the questgiver will eventually take you there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

If you do the quest I mentioned, the questgiver will eventually take you there.

How do you communicate with the elves? Did you end up finding a pawn with the Woodland Whisperer specialization?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phlegmish posted:

How do you communicate with the elves? Did you end up finding a pawn with the Woodland Whisperer specialization?

I did, but I haven't tested him yet. You can finish that quest without it though, because the questgiver elf speaks English, and leads you around.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I really hope they get rid of the life drain thing on reload because it's kind of obnoxiously large. I died to a really goofy miscalculation on my part, and when I reloaded 25% of my health was just taken away. It's not a very fun mechanic in this game at all.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Everdraed posted:

so shines a good deed, in a weary world

thank ya so much Bloomington!

to pass on some kindness,

if ya hit the inn ww should now be even better at murderin'

also I've hired shaggy 3 times so far and he's always IMMEDIATELY zoinked into brine, but i'm hopeful this time he'll go the distance for da sweet sweet reward

I hired Shaggy in DDDA way back in 2016 so the second I saw him in the rift I knew I had to take him with. He had a weird habit of running 3 paces in front of me and at least twice furiously attacked walls for minutes on end. Ty Godzillamancer

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

With all the good skills thief has, is it worth actually using shadow cloak/veil? Any good synergies with them? My initial thought was to use shadow cloak to sneak near enemies and then plant a powder charge, but they seem to always see me before I can finish planting it.

I kinda love the animation associated with cloak/veil, with all the magic poo poo in this game they couldve just done a transparent effect but no they went the mgs4 route which is way funnier and also looks cool.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I really hope they get rid of the life drain thing on reload because it's kind of obnoxiously large. I died to a really goofy miscalculation on my part, and when I reloaded 25% of my health was just taken away. It's not a very fun mechanic in this game at all.

Just camp before continuing?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I aware some grimoire are for quests but most seem pretty useless why do I want a fighter casting spells with terrible magic stats?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Just camp before continuing?

Camping often is definitely the key to happy adventuring, still, if you're in the middle of a dungeon or something and loaded up on curatives its pretty lovely to have to leave and find a camp just to deal with the max health mechanic, especially since exploring is so amazing in this game. I really wish there were some consumables/recipes that would restore max health limit, even if they were very dear, I think it would go a long way towards alleviating a mechanic that's at best tolerable (imo).

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

free hubcaps posted:

Camping often is definitely the key to happy adventuring, still, if you're in the middle of a dungeon or something and loaded up on curatives its pretty lovely to have to leave and find a camp just to deal with the max health mechanic, especially since exploring is so amazing in this game. I really wish there were some consumables/recipes that would restore max health limit, even if they were very dear, I think it would go a long way towards alleviating a mechanic that's at best tolerable (imo).
There is an item called Allheal Elixir that does it. I've only seen one so far though.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Anyone know if the golden trove beetles respawn? Googling this question has not been helpful. I want to give them out as quest rewards but not if I'm going to permanently lose them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hommando posted:

Anyone know if the golden trove beetles respawn? Googling this question has not been helpful. I want to give them out as quest rewards but not if I'm going to permanently lose them.

I don't know for sure but I would be very surprised if they respawned. They seem like a collectible.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

My pawn's voice with the straightforward attitude makes her sounds super sarcastic. It's great. Also, as a Warrior she just straight up pulverizes most enemies and just seems unable to die?

Game's good. Haven't found the Trickster trainer yet but did unlock Mystic Spearhand. Not vibing with it too much honestly. It's flashy and cool but I might just go back to Thief until Trickster. Feels like it murderizes things much better.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Hommando posted:

I know of a couple that don’t but who knows if some (or all) are random.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Game is great but after playing DD1 on Hard Mode it's really easy.
Hoping that the whatever adaptive difficulty system they have going will kick in soon.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I was able to recreate my character by turning of sync, deleting some saves, starting the game over, and then turning sync back on.

Which is all incredibly stupid... just give me a menu option to restart if I want to?

Also, can you access the character creator after having a 'real' save? My kid loves character creators but it will be a shame if I can't let her mess with it because of the 'one save only per account' thing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hommando posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't, do not give them out as quest rewards or you could risk permanently losing that carry weight boost.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also, can you access the character creator after having a 'real' save? My kid loves character creators but it will be a shame if I can't let her mess with it because of the 'one save only per account' thing.

Download the character creator "demo" and have them use that?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't, do not give them out as quest rewards or you could risk permanently losing that carry weight boost.

Dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hulk Smash! posted:

My pawn's voice with the straightforward attitude makes her sounds super sarcastic. It's great. Also, as a Warrior she just straight up pulverizes most enemies and just seems unable to die?

Game's good. Haven't found the Trickster trainer yet but did unlock Mystic Spearhand. Not vibing with it too much honestly. It's flashy and cool but I might just go back to Thief until Trickster. Feels like it murderizes things much better.

On the other hand, you get to do that sick-as-gently caress power slide when you zip through some fool goblin while your pawns go :woop::slick::dance: