Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I have no strong opinion on the health penalty after death, but that is in fact why the Last Inn Save feature exists. Or use a wakestone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

sebmojo posted:

if you have a 40xx video card, this mod almost doubled my fps: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/39

Thanks for this, have a 4070 alongside ryzen 9 7940 hs and performance in Vermund has jumped from a pretty choppy 40-50 to a solid 90!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I played the first game, I'm used to quests failing and poo poo, hell I'm even fine with the health loss thing. I just don't like the health loss on restore because it can, potentially, lead to lovely situations like I was in last night where my game auto-saved after I left a cave and as I was heading back to town a cyclops showed up and killed me, when I reloaded I had barely enough health to take one hit from the thing, then I was in prime one hit kill territory. The only thing I could do was either load my last inn save or just not get hit...

Or use a wakestone.
Or use an allcure.
Or use a defense buffing potion.
Or use a defensive spell tome.
Or run away.
Or use a Ferrystone.
Or make your pawns fight at close range for you.
Or...

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Nuebot posted:

Okay so we're in the phase of release where even the shittiest mechanics are to be defended like your life depends on it.

It's a good mechanic and my time with the game has been significantly bettered by its presence. The combined mechanics encourage thinking ahead and executing well without being too punishing even when things go completely to hell.

My best experience in this game yet was losing all my pawns far from town, being stuck with low health since I couldn't rest since my main pawn carries my camping gear, no nearby riftstones to get her back, being killed several times and fleeing strong enemies including a griffin that first attacked me and then a caravan I stumbled across, finally making it back to town and having to fight a cyclops at like 25% max HP. It was great and in any other modern game it would all have felt slightly hollow, but this game's systems struck the perfect balance of permanence, challenge, punishment, and still being able to succeed to make it wonderful.

Maybe the game isn't for you, but the whole wearing down and recovering aspect of it is definitely not badly designed because it does exactly what it intends to. Penalizing death in particular rewards judicious use of consumables in a way no other game has.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 24, 2024

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/i/status/1771652003900362934

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jack Trades posted:

Or use a wakestone.
Or use an allcure.
Or use a defense buffing potion.
Or use a defensive spell tome.
Or run away.
Or use a Ferrystone.
Or make your pawns fight at close range for you.
Or...

Didn't have one
Didn't have one
Didn't have one
Didn't have one
It was a narrow area between two cliffs, cylcops have very wide range, I tried.
Didn't have one
My pawns died as fast as I did

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

this game has performance issues on console but the lighting is quite beautiful. it captures "outside" light better than most games

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Everdread I guess you can be a guinea pig for this but I really wonder if that 10000g is going to get duplicated for everyone who took Ralsei out and killed an ogre or just the first person

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So it seems the lady at the inn in Vernworth gives you a Logistician's Tome, guaranteed, if you befriend her.

Does anyone know if there's an NPC who will give you a Forager's Tome?

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Whoever gave my severely under geared pawn Ciri a bow upgrade: I appreciate you. :h:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

poo poo, I hate it when youtube accidentally spoils me on something major that's in the title of the video.

Then again, what it warned me about seems like a game killer so I guess it will be common knowledge before too long. :ohdear:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I was just in a situation where night fell and almost instantly I was attacked by some kind of floating skeletal lich wizard, right on the shores of a river quite a way out of Vernworth. He had some pretty powerful attacks and one of them knocked two of my pawns into the Brine (including my main pawn). After a tense battle with just me and one other pawn, we won, but I was getting low on max health and I realized my pawn had my camping gear. It was a tense night trying to make it back to town, but very rewarding making it back.

Nuebot posted:

Didn't have one
Didn't have one
Didn't have one
Didn't have one
Didn't have one
Reload from an inn and cut your losses I guess. Sounds like you went out without being properly prepared and paid for it. There's a reason inns are so expensive to sleep in: they're pretty drat important and are the only way to truly lock in your progress. Sleep in one (or your home in the city, if you own one) whenever you can. When you leave the city, have a goal in mind and take as much defensive/curative stuff as you can and at least one Wakestone for emergencies, and a Ferrystone in case you're really stuck. Don't just wander aimlessly with no plan to get back to an inn because if you make a ton of progress and then end up in a situation where you can't possibly survive, you might be forced to revert to your inn save and lose it. That goes double if you're venturing into a cavern. Also, if you do happen to be in a situation where you're underprepared for a fight, run away. Don't just throw yourself at it unthinkingly. Use your pawns "To Me" command to get them to come to you and book it in the other direction. I've haven't yet found a situation where I can't, under any circumstances, escape from a fight.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I got an Archer pawn named Bardin (from Vermintide) who shoulds just like him and it's cracking me up.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I got an Archer pawn named Bardin (from Vermintide) who shoulds just like him and it's cracking me up.

Kerillian seems like the more logical choice but that does sound funny

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

So it seems the lady at the inn in Vernworth gives you a Logistician's Tome, guaranteed, if you befriend her.

I just found out that you can get one from Daphne. Praise be. I had a hunch she would give you one, since she sends you off to collect materials for her quests.

I only had to give her flowers once, too. I probably got put on a watchlist for that but I really wanted that tome

e: oh and I just remembered there was guy in here yesterday asking for a Logistician's Tome, you can get that one from befriending the Vernworth innkeeper lady

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I got trolled extremely hard by the beggar sidequest.

Followed that dude all drat day, right after he leaves the tavern and runs off to his hideout I get looped into a cutscene about a sidequest involving the Gracious Hand charity. It's long enough that I completely miss where he's going.

I try again the next day, he leaves the tavern. Right after another NPC approaches me and pulls me into a dialogue about a DIFFERENT sidequest I completed the other day. But it's ok, I mash thru the dialog, I can still see him, it's fine. A 2ND loving NPC approaches me with a different set of dialogue about the exact same loving sidequest. I mash through, guy disappears, I'm hosed.

3 whole days spent following this rear end in a top hat.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Kerillian seems like the more logical choice but that does sound funny

AN OLD RANGER TRICK

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Volte posted:

I was just in a situation where night fell and almost instantly I was attacked by some kind of floating skeletal lich wizard, right on the shores of a river quite a way out of Vernworth. He had some pretty powerful attacks and one of them knocked two of my pawns into the Brine (including my main pawn). After a tense battle with just me and one other pawn, we won, but I was getting low on max health and I realized my pawn had my camping gear. It was a tense night trying to make it back to town, but very rewarding making it back.

Reload from an inn and cut your losses I guess. Sounds like you went out without being properly prepared and paid for it. There's a reason inns are so expensive to sleep in: they're pretty drat important and are the only way to truly lock in your progress. Sleep in one (or your home in the city, if you own one) whenever you can. When you leave the city, have a goal in mind and take as much defensive/curative stuff as you can and at least one Wakestone for emergencies, and a Ferrystone in case you're really stuck. Don't just wander aimlessly with no plan to get back to an inn because if you make a ton of progress and then end up in a situation where you can't possibly survive, you might be forced to revert to your inn save and lose it. That goes double if you're venturing into a cavern. Also, if you do happen to be in a situation where you're underprepared for a fight, run away. Don't just throw yourself at it unthinkingly. Use your pawns "To Me" command to get them to come to you and book it in the other direction. I've haven't yet found a situation where I can't, under any circumstances, escape from a fight.

I was level six at the time, the cave and cyclops were just down the road from the camp you start at. There's only so much preparation I could do.

That was hours ago though, I'm glad chimeras are way more lethal in this game than they were in the first; very fun fight with my first one in a dank hole.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

Phlegmish posted:

I just got one! From doing the quest in the common quarter where you help the chaplain or whatever find a kid who snuck off. Chaplain gave me a logistician and the kid gave me a forager right after. Pretty good stuff and hoping it helps out my pawn, The Injurer, when she is abroad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

AN OLD RANGER TRICK

Oh yeah, that's his basic class.

I canonically think of him as an Ironbreaker for some reason.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

I just got one! From doing the quest in the common quarter where you help the chaplain or whatever find a kid who snuck off. Chaplain gave me a logistician and the kid gave me a forager right after. Pretty good stuff and hoping it helps out my pawn, The Injurer, when she is abroad.

Yeah, I did that quest but it bugged out for me, probably because I talked to Ser Kendrick and then left instead of talking to Malcolm as well. But my hunch turned out to be correct, you can get a Forager's Tome by befriending Daphne.

To recap, if this quest is similarly bugged for you:

Logistician's Tome - Befriend the innkeeper at the Stardrop Inn in Vernworth

Forager's Tome: Befriend Daphne in the slums in Vernworth

Probably many others will give you a tome as well, but these are the only ones that I've confirmed for now.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Didn't have one
Didn't have one
Didn't have one
Didn't have one
Didn't have one

Skill issue

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I got a ridiculously strong twin spear by popping a blister on a surprise dragon fight and I've just been tearing apart bosses. The griffin showed up, got stunned, and was down to a single health bar before it took off. Then I smacked its head midflight until it fell and died while I shouted "gently caress you" at it

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Hommando posted:

Anyone know if the golden trove beetles respawn? Googling this question has not been helpful. I want to give them out as quest rewards but not if I'm going to permanently lose them.

There’s a black cat at the border town so you can make forgeries that should still function (or it’s funnier if they don’t) for like 6k each

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I just had a 4 sides battle.

Gryphon, Golem, Minos and my Trickster. And my team won.

I think I can claim the Trickster SUPERIORITY, despite being a class withouth damage dealing skills.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I really wish that they didn’t let you have long hair only to make it clip through your shield when you run. DD2 is by no means the only offender in this regard but it looks terrible and it’s what you’re staring at literally all the time, why can’t developers fix this

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I know I’m spoiled from DDDA but is there some sort of hosed up tower of enemies I can just plow through whenever I’m bored? Open world is fine but I crave the tower

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Vargs posted:

Protip: do your damnedest to remember where you picked up your very first Seeker's Token. Mine was picked up by a pawn gently caress knows where, so I'm screwed.

So glad I saw this post right after finding my first one. I had already forgotten where I found it but was able to retrace my steps until I remembered.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So it sounds like camping gear is best carried on you, not your pawn.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

v1ld posted:

Shouldn’t make a difference, they’re reusable anyway unless it breaks. The elite one doesn’t, I found it in a chest somewhere but I think you can buy it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

v1ld posted:

Why is that? Seems like stamina management would be more important for your main character, not your pawn. I put my camping kit on my main pawn.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Presumably it's because your main pawn (or hired pawns) can get brined or otherwise lost and then you'd be out in the wilds without pawns or a camping kit. Although tbh there's riftstones all over the dang place so it's not that big of a problem. Of note: While hired pawns auto-toss stuff into storage when lost, your main pawn keeps all their stuff so it's PROBABLY fine to keep it on them.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Thumbtacks posted:

Shouldn’t make a difference, they’re reusable anyway unless it breaks. The elite one doesn’t, I found it in a chest somewhere but I think you can buy it.

It makes a difference if your pawn carrying the kit dies while you're out in the wilderness.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to access your storage in the rest town?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Simply do not let your pawn drown

I keep mine on my pawn and he brined himself once and it made it a lot more stressful but interesting, not only was I out my strongest pawn I also couldn’t sleep or make a fire and it made it much more fun to get back to an inn or a riftstone. There’s enough riftstones scattered about that it’s like a 10 minute trek at the most to find one to summon them back.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I think I may have had a drake glitch itself to death? Was wandering around and out of nowhere hear a voice talking about how I cannot escape my destiny or whatever identified by the subtitles as "Drake", then a little ahead I come across a big old dragon body just lying there. Free loot for me, I guess :shrug:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Liking the game, but the quests still feel like they're about to break the game in half. When they work, they're great, but they so often glitch out for me that whenever I need to think about them and try different things I just assume the game glitched at first since it does that from time to time for me. The exploration is sublime, but every time I'm doing a quest I'm afraid to experiment because I feel it'd just break something.

Gracious Hand basement was the worst offender with a bed-ridden NPC just vanishing somewhere for a while, another NPC being unable to open the door and walking into it for like a minute, and then just standing in one weird place seemingly broken as I needed to figure out that "alert the authorities" meant grabbing the NPC, which I got and did but still.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Is there any way to access your storage in the rest town?

Yeah there's a resting inn up a staircase next to the drinking inn, I didn't see it at first either.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
If you're trying to unlock all the Vocations, you need to go through the Battahl. The starting missions will lead you there OR Take the Ox carts from Melvin to the Southern border and approach the gates. The Guard says you gotta have the papers to enter. There is a cart that goes through the gate. Just hop on. Once you jump off guards WILL chase you so run away and now you can keep heading to unlock the Mystik Spear and archer earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

If you're trying to unlock all the Vocations, you need to go through the Battahl. The starting missions will lead you there OR Take the Ox carts from Melvin to the Southern border and approach the gates. The Guard says you gotta have the papers to enter. There is a cart that goes through the gate. Just hop on. Once you jump off guards WILL chase you so run away and now you can keep heading to unlock the Mystik Spear and archer earlier

Is spear hand not a story reward from returning to Melve again?