Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

sebzilla posted:

Sometimes the sunset makes the woke sky say trans rights, clearly we need to nuke it

NUMBER TEN ON MY LIST OF FIFTY NATURAL PHENOMENA THAT ARE RUINING BRITAIN. NUMBER NINE: RAIN! WHO NEEDS IT? I DON'T! MUST BE THOSE WOKE LEFTIES. YOU KNOW WHERE ELSE IT RAINED? COMMUNIST RUSSIA. GET RID OF IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Hate me woke sky
Don't like it, there's the floor

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

sebzilla posted:

Sometimes the sunset makes the woke sky say trans rights, clearly we need to nuke it

Say what you like about global nuclear war, it would probably make for some fantastic sunsets.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/24/thousands-of-london-homes-at-risk-from-holiday-lets-plan

I'm sure property owners will do the honourable thing by continuing to rent their properties to families, rather than see a 4.3x increase in income by switching to AirBNB.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jedit posted:

I don't know. I'm not sure why you were asking us how to fix your rear end in a top hat in the first place.

Look, I take poo poo posting seriously ok?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
There's more work/cost/risk involved in an Airbnb than a long term rent. Gotta clean it after each guest, manage all the booking poo poo and do the sheets all the time. Needs to be fully furnished and the people using it are more likely to have wild parties and gently caress everything up.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

How does the UK thread feel about Marcus? :ohdear:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Rashford?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bestill my beating heart at a B5 reference in the wild. :thumbsup:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

No, the accent

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

big scary monsters posted:

Say what you like about global nuclear war, it would probably make for some fantastic sunsets.

Unless the bombs and resultant firestorms lift dust so high into the atmosphere it blots out the sun for a decade.
Not much change in the uk though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Woke sky at night, minorities' delight

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Sky is woke so I cancelled my contract.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bright sky woke me up alright.

Now I can't fall asleep.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"Feeling too woke? Ask about our induced comas today!"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Beneath A Woke Sky

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Microplastics posted:

Woke sky at night, minorities' delight

Red sky in the morning?
COMMUNIST WARNING!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'm going to be a woke nuclear wasteland zombie :zombie:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i was driving through town earlier and there was a chap on his hands and knees on the pavement. he was legless drunk so i parked the car and walked him home, turned out he was ex-service and drinking to forget things - he was probably in his 60s or so. he'd been to the offie for another bottle of wine. i've no idea how it didn't smash when it fell on the pavement

when i got him to his house, which was not a long way from where i found him but it did take us quite a while to get there with him doing so much backwards walking and sideways walking, he asked if i would like to come in and see his gun collection lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
what pissed me off was this was all going on outside the town's biggest presbyterian church and not one person going into the place thought to cross the road to help the poor bast

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Well done for helping.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i just have an awful feeling i might hear about him some time because a person prone to getting that shitfaced really shouldn't be living in a house full of guns :/

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Launching one of the ICBMs in Helldivers and watching the resultant mushroom cloud is very satisfying

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I went looking for some funny footage of the 'Rally for British Culture' or whatever it was called at the cenotaph on Saturday... and I'm glad I went hunting
https://twitter.com/AndyPlumb4/status/1771892440259002873
I had to watch twice before ruling it out being a parody :allears:

e: Well done for helping him Crispix

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 25, 2024

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

fuctifino posted:

I went looking for some funny footage of the 'Rally for British Culture' or whatever it was called at the cenotaph on Saturday... and I'm glad I went hunting

Seems more like a rally for English culture.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
very nice of whoever chose the music to remind us of how many balls hitler had

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

xtothez posted:

Something I'm curious on as I know we have a few medical-types who post here - for situations like this would the ultra-rich have a significantly better level of medical treatment than most people?

My assumption is that it comes down to two main factors. Firstly, anything would obviously be administered by the professionals with the most possible experience which may vary a lot compared to anyone using the NHS normally. But the main difference is that royals will have constant monitoring & checkups a level beyond most people, allowing conditions like this to be found much earlier (e.g. at stage 1/2 rather than stage 4). However there isn't a bunch of secret rich-people-only cancer drugs that they can just throw millions at, and generally speaking the treatment & outcomes for anything found late would be broadly the same as for the average person.
Is that accurate?

A few pages late, but that's generally accurate. It also depends on how you define "better level." An ultra-rich person would be able get in to see someone for something more elective like a hip/knee replacement, and the replacement would be faster, but not necessarily medically better.

From the oncology side, I doubt that the "average" rich person is getting significantly more screening than is mandated. They probably see their doctors, and they probably get things like age appropriate colonoscopies, breast cancer screening, prostate cancer screening, etc, but I don't think they get "constant monitoring and checkups," or things like random whole body CT/MRI scans that we roll our eyes at as professionals. Like you said, there aren't secret rich-person-only cancer drugs/treatments, although a person with means is more likely to have good support at home, be able to make appointments, recover well, not miss treatment, and potentially do things like travel to enroll on clinical trials. If we're assuming that Kate has something like ovarian cancer, the first-line backbone treatment is generic chemotherapy that hasn't changed significantly in years.

Or to put it another way, none of it helped Ruth Bader Ginsburg in the end.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

what pissed me off was this was all going on outside the town's biggest presbyterian church and not one person going into the place thought to cross the road to help the poor bast

They will be wearing their Sunday Best, so you'll be damned if you expected charity. :lol:

edit: good on you for helping him out.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

While laughing at videos of the cenotaph protest, I stumbled across this guy who is apparently a mayoral candidate:
https://twitter.com/AndyPlumb4/status/1771611532251611643
https://twitter.com/NickHoughLDN/status/1771572388745895990

This is Steve Coogan's new character isn't it?

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 25, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's like Michael Portillo and Dennis Waterman had a kid, but they just abandoned it in Romford.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

It's like Michael Portillo and Dennis Waterman had a kid, but they just abandoned it in Romford.

https://twitter.com/NickHoughLDN/status/1768649013954326888

I refuse to believe he isn't some kind of deep plant comedian :allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Enver Hoxha except instead of bunkers it's war statues.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Backing up to cancerchat, but 1 in 6 lung cancers are in never-smokers, some on their 30s or 40s, and they are typically diagnosed at stage 4, when the cancer that's spread to their bones or brain causes them problems that get them a scan. Many of these lung cancers are caused by a mutation and there are a few additional drugs that can be tried. There's a difference between NHS and private treatment in the order and combinations offered, but.....it doesn't really matter. Some of the drugs can extend life by almost a year. Trust me when I say that this is what 'good news' looks like after an advanced lung cancer diagnosis. The five-year survival rates for lung cancer have barely moved since the 1970s. The rich are as dead as the poor.

That said, the NHS is now rolling out national lung screening to 55-74 year old smokers/former smokers, to pick up more early-stage, asymptomatic cancers. Please please go and get a screening if you are eligible.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://x.com/owenjones84/status/1772019859183853908

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Whatever this was appears gone now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

crispix posted:

i just have an awful feeling i might hear about him some time because a person prone to getting that shitfaced really shouldn't be living in a house full of guns :/

You should have asked for one of the guns as reward, that way you could gradually disarm him.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This is a really interesting article I just saw on BBC which breaks down the makeup of RECORD 1.4M IMMIGRATION figures:

Say one thing, do another? The government’s record rise in net migration

BBC posted:

Since the Brexit vote and the Conservatives' victory in 2019, the 12 months to June 2022 saw the fastest population growth since the 1960s. Current projections from the Office for National Statistics put the UK on course for 74 million people by 2036 - six million more than there are today.

You'd be well within your rights to ask how that could be? The answer, according to the ONS, is largely immigration.

And one aspect of immigration has received huge amounts of attention from the government and the media. Statement after statement, story after story, has focused on migrants crossing the Channel in small boats - and the government's efforts to stop them.

Indeed you'd be forgiven for thinking small boats are a major part of why immigration is up. But they aren't.

For care home owners like Raj Sehgal, the changes helped. He filled almost all vacancies in his five Norfolk care homes, with 40% of staff coming from abroad.

"If we didn't have international recruitment, I think we would probably be closed by now," he told me.

More overseas staff arrived to work across the sector. But more may be needed. Last year, there were around 150,000 vacancies in England, and recruiting British workers remains difficult.

Let's look at that 1.4 million figure again. Of all of those visas, more than 146,000 went to health and social care workers, another 203,000 went to their dependants.

All of this did what it was designed to do - attract lots more students. Last year the government issued almost 458,000 sponsored study visas. And almost 144,000 for dependants of postgraduate students.

Together, they made up almost 42% of the more than 1.4 million visas issued last year.

Again, the government was choosing immigration.

It's worth giving it a read but the TL;DR is that a large majority of that are either careworkers, foreign students or their dependants, with asylum seekers being only about 10%.

Which the article directly blames on recent government policy changes relaxing visa requirements and allowing dependants in the first place.

Now I'm not really opposed to it but it's pretty funny how much it is the Tories directly creating the "issue" in the first place. Of course I doubt they really mind when they get to bang on about their "STOP THE BOATS" campaign which is about the only thing they have going for them right now.

It's just the moral bankruptcy of it all that's a bit staggering.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 25, 2024

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I'm Canadian, and either myself, friends, or my family have had extensive experience with the Canadian, American, and British health care systems.

While the NHS is clearly being pushed to its limits, it's the norm in a public health care system to have to advocate a fair bit to get relatively minor but persistent issues addressed. Any functioning public service will need to be selective. But it's a very good thing that almost all people I know with a serious issue who have gotten past their GP praise the quality of the treatment they get and the speed with which they get it. I don't mean to be dismissive, but there's a certain amount of confirmation bias involved with some of these horror stories: for every one about something relatively unusual being missed for years you have dozens or hundreds of people going to the GP with minor aches and pains that ultimately prove to be nothing. If a GP ordered tests for every one of those the system would grind to a halt.

The alternative is the American system where health care providers basically look at how much they can get from your insurance and then test and scan and invasively intervene out the wazoo, even for non-issues. A good example of this was that my wife got a large thorn stuck in the knuckle of a finger while working and went to the GP about it when it didn't resolve itself in a couple of weeks. They sent her for a series of tests and scans on her hand and recommended several types of treatment, including regular steroid injections in the finger. When it got to the stage where she was being referred to a hand surgeon she flatly asked the doctor about how necessary this all was, and he basically said "oh I'm just doing this because you asked what could be done;" she asked what he would do and he said "I'd probably just wait a month or two to see what happens." Sure enough, it went away within a couple of months without any further treatment.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Josef bugman posted:

A clip from Matthew d'Ancona on a podcast saying that Owen Jones' nickname in the Guardian offices was "squealer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Josef bugman posted:

It was a "micro-blogging" website called Twitter. But then Elon Musk bought it...