Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

what do the hands with numbers on them mean in the quest log and on the camping screen?

Which hired Pawn has information on that quest and can guide you through it.
Blue Hand means you don't have one that can do it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

So if I go to that meeting with the archer after giving him a bow can I do the quest even though I'm not an archer? My party kept saying "you can't wield a bow, dumbass!" while I was running there so I gave up and did something else.

Yes, you need to be an Archer to teach him to shoot. The quest after that you can do as any Vocation, though.

e: the elves have some pretty good archer gear if that's a potential reason to do it

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ah god I'm down in Havre doing early main quest and my only camping kit just got wrecked by wolves

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jack Trades posted:

Which hired Pawn has information on that quest and can guide you through it.
Blue Hand means you don't have one that can do it at all.

Not quite, Blue Hand means your main pawn has info that can guide you through it though the option for your main pawn to guide you on quests is disabled by default and needs to be enabled in the menu.

Yellow hand with a 1 or 2 correspond to the pawn with that icon you hired. No hand means no pawn has experience with the quest.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

It is not

I have seen wolves, a cyclops, and an ogre in town

also lizards coming out of the gate

The town is not a combat free zone

If I lived in Vernworth I would never, ever step foot in the area just in front of the main gate. Every 3 days a loving drake or minotaur just materializes there out of thin air and starts murdering everyone. God help you if the arisen and co. aren't nearby to prevent these things from wiping out half the city.

Khanstant posted:

Is there a permanent purple crystal in Cat city? I should definitely head back to Wurmhat and finally follow that beggar after I see the art show, but I haven't found a port crystal and it was an amazing terribly long journey.

No, you need to put down your own.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Have y'all noticed random adventurer parties wandering around? In the farm fields east of Vernworth I found a dude with 3 scantily clad lady helpers who helped me bring down a griffon there. I've seen several other parties on the road since then

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Have y'all noticed random adventurer parties wandering around? In the farm fields east of Vernworth I found a dude with 3 scantily clad lady helpers who helped me bring down a griffon there. I've seen several other parties on the road since then

Yeah they don't want to talk to you either.
I wonder if they're going to be a relevant mechanic later.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I finally discovered you can use levitate to go straight up higher by watching a pawn I hired do it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm someone who enjoys having a party of freaks and it's crazy how I have to set the pawn search option to basically exclusively masculine to not just get hordes of Generic Attractive Woman #474763. You still get hordes of Generic Maxed Height White Guy #5846844 but it's still way, way easier to find a non-boring pawn that way.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Atoramos posted:

I wouldn't call it mirthless? I'm romping around with a very close match to Willem Dafoe as a mage and Mads Mikkelsen the jaunty ranger and it's amazing.

I can't imagine this game any other way. I added Mr Mikkelsen to the Google doc.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 24, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Haven't tested it since I'm Sorcerer right now, but like the other maisters, he gives you a book which lets both you and your pawn learn it.

I just went back and talked with him after finishing the bow elf quest, though I did have a translator with me this time.

Apparently it consumes all of your Stamina if you use it. Not sure it's worth putting on my pawn.

If anyone's hired an Archer pawn with the Heavenly Shot ability, could you give me a trip report?

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014
Just cleared an early timed quest Till Death do us Part. It's so very missable. Basically, the trigger to start the quest is very weird. Here's some info that might help some, the quest is rather very early after you first enter the capital :

When you first arrive, you can talk to Gregor's wife in the Nobles Residences. She then mention Gregor has left to fight a Dullahan at the Illdoers Resting Place. This is not the quest starter. At this point, I went directly to the the Swamps and only found a Lich, Gregor was nowhere to be found. After completing only the Trevo Mine part of the Main quest, returning to the city in the Nobles Quarters will make someone mention that Gregor is on a suicide mission and have departed last night. This also doesn't start the quest. If you go back to the Swamps, Gregor is still nowhere to be found. I think someone mentionned earlier in the thread, however, that Gregor could still die after a while. It is only when you get back to his wife, mention the rumors, that the quest begins, and you can save Gregor.

Really should keep track of those missables quests and conditions. Game is amazing and is really like the original.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hommando posted:

Anyone know if the golden trove beetles respawn? Googling this question has not been helpful. I want to give them out as quest rewards but not if I'm going to permanently lose them.

I found one on a merchant just wandering between Melve and the capital.

Weirdly it looks like an item he restocked, because he was sold out of items I bought from him on my first trip.

Haven’t seen one respawn in the wild though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

I finally discovered you can use levitate to go straight up higher by watching a pawn I hired do it.

You can what?!

I've been using the ice spell as a ramp.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Wha… what did you think levitate does?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hover forward?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

After getting trickster to max level I gotta say I really don't get it. The only skills that seem worthwhile are the clone manipulation skills and the maister skill. I tried using the illusory walls and floor quite a bit and never noticed them having any effect whatsoever. That and the gameplan of distracting enemies for your pawns just seem flawed when the player can do twice as much damage as three pawns put together. Maybe I just suck at selecting pawns. Oh well, I stumbled onto the magic archer class at right about the same time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

After getting trickster to max level I gotta say I really don't get it. The only skills that seem worthwhile are the clone manipulation skills and the maister skill. I tried using the illusory walls and floor quite a bit and never noticed them having any effect whatsoever. That and the gameplan of distracting enemies for your pawns just seem flawed when the player can do twice as much damage as three pawns put together. Maybe I just suck at selecting pawns. Oh well, I stumbled onto the magic archer class at right about the same time.

Have you tried the buff that powers up all of your pawns attack power?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I love this weird rear end game but I hate encumbrance mechanics

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Just avoid picking anything up

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel pretty much the same way. By the time you unlock it your pawns are dropping off in usefulness so it just doesn't feel good to rely on them to do all the damage. Trying to kill e.g. a golem as a trickster is just incredibly frustrating, and most of its abilities seem designed around fighting groups of small enemies instead of single big targets. I also can't consistently get it to take aggro on big monsters, it feels really spotty against them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

illusionist feels like a pet project that started from someone having a cool idea for a vocation without giving much thought to how it'd interface with the other vocations, because "use magic to distract and debilitate foes" is a great napkin pitch until you remember that high hagol exists and does the exact same thing but better

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Basic Chunnel posted:

I love this weird rear end game but I hate encumbrance mechanics
This game is full of survival mechanics I usually don't like but here, I find them working together really good. It actually feels like going out on an adventure everytime you leave town.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kevin Bacon posted:

Just avoid picking anything up

What are you, my pawn that complains when I hoover up every apple to be seen, after making room in my pack by dumping several dozen rotten apples?

Yeah those went bad, but these ones I need! These are special apples that I’ll make sure to turn into dried fruit when they ripen!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Listen the game has funky controls.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, the Saintess of the Slums had an anticlimatic ending.

I actually had to look up what you were supposed to do for the last step.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
20 grand to get laid at the brothel?! I could buy a house for that much! :v:

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Just got Mystic Spearhand and liking it a lot - the starting dash skill seemed so-so until I realized it’ll launch you upward to hit flying enemies and stuff. I don’t know if I’ll stick with the vocation long term though, because its fancy moves lack the satisfaction of like, parrying a cyclops with your Warrior attacks.

I’m woefully far behind on the main quest because I keep getting distracted by exploration. There’s just so much to see and do! Even the oxcart travel is an adventure. Took a trip towards the checkpoint town for my first time, and we got ambushed halfway by an ogre that took out the cart. Had to continue on foot, but we had all the cart guards with us, so the stuff we met on the way died pretty quick.

Also, griffons! God drat. Ended up riding one while it fled from a fight, and set it on fire to make it land so we could finish it off. Except it crashed into the sea, killing us both in the brine.

Game owns. Owns hard enough that the framerate hitches haven’t been able to deter me.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

One of my big complaints about funky movement stuff is that I can’t seem to mantle up onto a ledge after using Concussive Step going straight up, but can if I use it to move at an angle. That fancy little flip on the vertical one is just too much!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I saw a dragon in the distance in the middle of road I was following and I could tell it was fighting something, but a small hill was blocking my view. As I got closer the dragon started talking to me but all of a sudden it just died.

Got up to its corpse and didn't see another NPC or monster in any direction. No idea what it was fighting or what killed it. There was a giant boulder near it and not sure where that came from either.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oh, when the game says Warrior gets damage and stun resistance while charging they actually mean you just straight-up cannot be stopped. A griffon dive bombed onto me during a charge and all that did was put its big, stupid face right in front of my sword.

Thief was a lot of fun, but Warrior just erases health bars.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SHISHKABOB posted:

I know. I live for funky controls. How else can I Mario 64 wall jump into a spot all my pawns can’t easily get to and end up brining themselves in the process.

Emergent gameplay!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Volte posted:

Why are so many pawns named SphinxFather and SphinxMother? There's like ten of each in the monthly ranking list

I don't know, but you need one for the Sphinx riddle

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

What if a cyclops falls onto the cart?

Because that happened and it refused to move.

During a surprise raid on an oxcart travel a griffin loving landed on the cart before i could even get out of it. obliterated the cart, knocked the oxen down the road, pancaked me.

10/10 game

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Oh my god I just realized the number of things you could gently caress with using the (spoiler for the border checkpoint town) forgery system!! Like no, I will not give you back that thing you lent me .

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Oh my god I just realized the number of things you could gently caress with using the (spoiler for the border checkpoint town) forgery system!! Like no, I will not give you back that thing you lent me .

Yea, I ran there early to return a fake gaol key, keeping the real one

On the way I found this awesome missable thing on the way. Gryphon's nest just south of the Misty Marshes, contains a portkey

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Should I be hesitant to enhance gear due to the future availability of different enhancement styles? Or can you remove/replace enhancements later. Or maybe it's just not an issue since later gear will be better?

I got this one bow that is obviously meant for Magic Archer (gives a ton of Magic), so I'll definitely wait until I can enhance that with Magic .

Edit: I encountered a place with a cyclops on a bridge, and I think the falling cyclops was supposed to form a bridge, but instead he just fell into the gap and died.

On the upside I got 10000 from it due to a very lucrative pawn quest to kill a cyclops.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 24, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

During a surprise raid on an oxcart travel a griffin loving landed on the cart before i could even get out of it. obliterated the cart, knocked the oxen down the road, pancaked me.

10/10 game

My first oxcart ride we got raided, I took a swing with my Greatsword and immediately obliterated the cart. Now I know to keep some distance when I fight

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Atoramos posted:

On the way I found this awesome missable thing on the way. Gryphon's nest just south of the Misty Marshes, contains a portkey

Man I found that exact same spot last night, but it was in the middle of an extremely disastrous expedition where all my pawns died, it was pitch black outside, and I had like 30% of my max health remaining, so I decided to not gently caress with the sleeping Gryphon. Guess I gotta go back at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm reminded of how on NG+ in DD1, you could easily kick the oxen to death when you were supposed to "motivate" them during that trip to Gran Soren.