Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Brésil : Rio ne respire plus/ Brazil: Rio can't breathe by Vadot from Belgium

[sternly, hands on hips] All right. Who cummed on Jesus? Who cummed on Jesus so much that he can't maintain the Jesus pose?

Well, we'll just have to stay at our desks through lunch time then, won't we? Until we find out who cummed on Jesus so much. And all over the mountain! Or did that much cum just magically appear out of nowhere?

Technowolf posted:

Clay Bennett

Jesus, finally loving sinking in, is it, Bennett?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Technowolf posted:

Clay Bennett

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

If you're Bennett's target audience, then you know the message he's conveying is "Don't hold your breath on Trump ever being sentenced to Superjail until the end of forever, he's never going to face any real consequences for his crimes."

But if you're a Trump supporter, then it can easily be flipped to "Poor Trump is never going to receive the justice he is due, he will continue to be endlessly assaulted by the deep state trying to frame him for crimes that he either did not do or had every legal right to do."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Rishi Sunak ‘bounces back’ – Enter the prime minister on a deflating space hopper, unaffected by the cost of living crisis"

Sunday Telegraph:

"Sunak should prepare for another disaster"

Sunday Times:

Damien Hirst works dated as from the Nineties were made in 2017

Mail on Sunday:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

This feels like it must be a reference to a specific incident, but there is no way in hell I'm using the google terms I'd have to use to find out. Anyone else happen to know?

It's a reference to Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, whose daughter runs a kosher sex-toy store in Israel. Candace Owens got into a social media slap fight with him a couple weeks ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Jesus, finally loving sinking in, is it, Bennett?

Isn’t Trump escaping legal consequences the first time the thing that turned Bennett into a low-effort hack in the first place?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Hey so I've been the guy regularly posting Garrison but due to personal matters I don't know if I can do it consistently anymore. Is anyone else willing to take up this "fun" task?

Thanks for your work :salute:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Isn’t Trump escaping legal consequences the first time the thing that turned Bennett into a low-effort hack in the first place?

No, Trump winning in 2016 is what initially broke Bennett.
Every so often he knocks out out of the park, but not nearly as often as he used to. At this point, he's basically Gorrell'd himself.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Hey, it's the return of Jewish Voltron. I remember he introduced it months back, but didn't actually do anything with it. This marks a rare occasion where he remembered one of his abruptly dropped plot points.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tats needs to die in a fire but it will never not warm my gay little transgender heart when a psycho bigot draws something that's supposed to be like "OUR HORRIBLE ENEMY" but instead makes us seem cool as hell. Look at her! She's smiling and happy! She's comfortable enough to wear a swimsuit around other people! She's having fun! gently caress yeah Saruma'am, loving be out there having fun with people!

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Selachian posted:

It's a reference to Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, whose daughter runs a kosher sex-toy store in Israel. Candace Owens got into a social media slap fight with him a couple weeks ago.

Okay, now I'm really curious what makes a sex toy kosher or not. I'm not aware of any vibrators made from pork or shrimp. Does it have to be blessed by a rabbi or something?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Selachian posted:

Ah, Candace Owens who was this week fired from the Daily Wire cofounded by Ben Shapiro, supposedly for being 'too antisemetic'. If I'm counting correctly this comic was drawn exactly the day she got fired, assuming Ishida doesn't have a backlog.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
So i guess Tats just dropped the whole LOTR theme for no reason and without any payoff?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Selachian posted:

Huh. Never heard of the guy, and then twice in one day

https://twitter.com/RabbiShmuley/status/1771721907399762220?s=20

(Insert 'let them fight' meme here)

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrGhZx1-0hk

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

JamesBont posted:

So i guess Tats just dropped the whole LOTR theme for no reason and without any payoff?

Yes. That's Ishida's whole gimmick.

Besides spouting whatever Nazi talking points came out in the past week, of course.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Like most Rowes a whole bunch of stuff. While the Liberals & Nationals are doing well in Queensland on the weekend they lost a South Australian state by-election seat (losing to a sitting government is thing that almost never happens) and while they are ahead in seats in the Tasmanian state election assuming they can find the numbers they will be in an even shakier minority.

Broelman:

The only Tasmanian issue non-Tasmanian cartoonists know is the football team.

Downes:

(Downes is a Tasmanian cartoonist). Tasmanian Liberal premier Jeremy Rockliff gave a triumphant victory speech on Saturday about a "fourth consecutive win for the Liberal party" when the actual result will be an even deeper minority government where they may need to seek concessions from groups they actively pissed off during the campaign.

Badiucao:

Katauskas:

Lethbridge:

Knight:

There is a trend in the Murdoch press cartoons about the Trump/Rudd question the Australian Murdoch press planted in the UK Murdoch press.

Leak, Son of Leak:

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 24, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I actually like this one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Okay, now I'm really curious what makes a sex toy kosher or not. I'm not aware of any vibrators made from pork or shrimp. Does it have to be blessed by a rabbi or something?

Toblerone is halal, even though they never contained any pork or gelatin. They basically had an imam over to say "yup, no pigs here." I'm guessing that's what they did in the sex shop too.

Hostile V posted:

Tats needs to die in a fire but it will never not warm my gay little transgender heart when a psycho bigot draws something that's supposed to be like "OUR HORRIBLE ENEMY" but instead makes us seem cool as hell. Look at her! She's smiling and happy! She's comfortable enough to wear a swimsuit around other people! She's having fun! gently caress yeah Saruma'am, loving be out there having fun with people!

Also, the Maia are more or less gender less. They chose to present themselves in Middle Earth as old men, but that's not their true form.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'll take care of it if nobody else does, but I'll wait a couple of days before starting in case anyone wants to volunteer since I've got a couple of things on my plate already.

I can do so, but it'll be a weekly thing alongside China Daily and Le Monde. I assume they're easy enough to find and get?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Hostile V posted:

And the one where the border patrol rolls out the red carpet and the reasonably well dressed and groomed migrants follow it looking fairly calm and dignified. Like... what part of them is bad or scary?

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Alhazred posted:

Toblerone is halal, even though they never contained any pork or gelatin. They basically had an imam over to say "yup, no pigs here." I'm guessing that's what they did in the sex shop too.

One thing that at least used to be important for kosher food manufacturing was also what kind of cleaners they used - soap is fat-based, so the fat needs to not be from a nonkosher source. I don't think that applies to manufacturing of non-eatables, though, and I don't know how much of an issue it is in modern cleaning agents.

Reading an article about it, it sounds like the proprietor's justification for calling their sex toys kosher is that they are meant to "help married couples create intimacy in a relationship."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Clay Bennett

Be careful with this, people have gotten probed for saying Trump probably isn't gonna go to prison

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Also, the Maia are more or less gender less. They chose to present themselves in Middle Earth as old men, but that's not their true form.

Benly posted:

One thing that at least used to be important for kosher food manufacturing was also what kind of cleaners they used - soap is fat-based, so the fat needs to not be from a nonkosher source. I don't think that applies to manufacturing of non-eatables, though, and I don't know how much of an issue it is in modern cleaning agents.

Reading an article about it, it sounds like the proprietor's justification for calling their sex toys kosher is that they are meant to "help married couples create intimacy in a relationship."

Wow I learned something today that I never thought to even ask about. Sometimes the Internet is still good.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Saruman literally reveals he has turned evil by changing from White to Rainbow. The metaphor is right there! But tats has clearly never read the books

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Indiana_Krom posted:

And the one where the border patrol rolls out the red carpet and the reasonably well dressed and groomed migrants follow it looking fairly calm and dignified. Like... what part of them is bad or scary?

Yeah, Lester would at least have them pretend to be well-groomed and behaved until they cross the border, at which point they wipe the makeup off of their gang tattoos and run off with a kidnapped white woman over their shoulder. Or Branco would label the giftbags as "Taxpayer Money."
Tats is just doing a bad job of channeling Assay with that one.

Technowolf posted:

Yes. That's Ishida's whole gimmick.

Besides spouting whatever Nazi talking points came out in the past week, of course.

Along with the Nazi propaganda, Ishida's thing nowadays is running with a theme until he gets bored of hoping one of them goes viral, then he pivots to the next.
LotR didn't hit, so now he's going back to Jewish Gundams or whatever the gently caress else he has going on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tats does a run of "pop culture + right wing talking point" until something happens in the alt-right outrage sphere, then he drops it and just draws antisemitic caricatures for a while.

Benly posted:

The obvious one for sex toys would be that I imagine they also sell lube.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Unkempt posted:

Huh. Never heard of the guy, and then twice in one day

https://twitter.com/RabbiShmuley/status/1771721907399762220?s=20

(Insert 'let them fight' meme here)

Yeah, Rabbi Shmuley is an ... odd duck. He was Michael Jackson's "spiritual guide," for instance.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I got a treat for you all.

Well, “treat”.

Turns out former Thread Villain, Chuck Asay, donated his cartoons to a local library. And this includes a digital archive. We’re talking thousands of cartoons, with like 350 on average per year, including the 80s and 90s and even the 70s.

And it includes a curious category called “rejected.”

Oh yes :getin:

Not only do we have cartoons deemed unfit for print, but with commentary from Asay himself on why they got rejected. Sometimes it’s a concrete, other times Asay has to hazard a guess. The only caveat is that some of these are tagged as “rejected locally”, so I’m not 100% certain if some of these did see print nationally but were specifically banned from Asay’s local paper. Either way, it offers some insight to be sure.

Also, many of these aren’t dated, so I will do my best to infer when these happened and provide proper context. I’ll do a sample today, and if you crave more we’ll keep going.

Chuck Sez: “This cartoon was not published because editors were concerned about sexual implications. Cowboy and six-gun analogy. Reagan used to say, "Never say never" but seemed to grow soft on South African policy, supporting sanctions and using SDI as a bargaining chip.”

Well, this is very obviously the 80s, given Reagan, South Africa, and the cartoon being rejected for overblown fears of sexual misinterpretation. And yes, this is Chuck pooh-poohing Reagan for being soft towards sanctions on then-apartheid South Africa. Reagan’s alternative seemed to be mushy thoughts on “bringing freedom” there. SDI is likely the infamous Star Wars missile defense system. Not entirely sure how it was a bargaining chip…include their country as covered by the shield? Feel free to correct me if SDI is something else in this context.

Chuck Sez: “Spectors of death might see this as good news. The Colorado City Council is considering a gay rights ordinance to protect gay people's activities. Homosexual behavior and the dreaded disease of Aids have been linked and deaths, from aids, have been declining. It seems the city council might be contributing to an upsurge of deaths by passing the ordinance. The cartoon was rejected, probably, because it was speculative. Plus, it's a very sensitive topic.”

It was rejected because it was homophobic, Chuck. And yes, Chuck absolutely loathed gay people. You’ll see his work in the 80s and 90s is a lot more upfront about it.

Chuck Sez: “I think this cartoon was rejected because there was confusion about subsidizing equal rights mentioned in panel six. It is a little obscure. I think the point I was trying to make had to do with the isolation of the smoker and the freedom aids victims had to move about in the workplace. Sigh!”

No Chuck, it’s because you portrayed HIV as being easily spread as second-hand smoke. Even Captain Planet knew better than that in the early 90s so I’m not giving you a pass. The little sigh just cements the smug confidence that his cartoon was just too smart and not hateful drivel.

Chuck Sez: “Acceptance of slavery in the old days is just like the acceptance of Wade v. Roe today. I don't want to inflict my morality on others. Lots of church leaders were passive in the days of slavery, Nazi crimes and today on the issue of life.”

Chuck was a fierce, doggedly pro-life cartoonist, and he did more of these “abortion is just as bad as slavery” of which several are in the rejected pile.

Chuck Sez: “Public Library officials have a tough time trying to regulate free speech" and "hate speech". It's an ongoing struggle. Today, the debate is concerning Dr. Suess' children's books. Back when I was cartooning the debate was about showing Madonna's "Sex" advocacy and Time Warner's cop killing rap stuff. When taxpayer money is involved, I would advocate for more protective regulation. My libertarian bosses were more on the side of "free speech". I suppose that's why this cartoon was rejected in their paper.”

The more things change, eh? Just mad libs in the group you need to villainize today.

Also, this is the SECOND rejected cartoon featuring Madonna. Someone was not a fan.

Chuck Sez: “This cartoon is "wrong" on so many fronts, it was bound to get rejected for publication in the Gazette. It mixes religion with politics. It compares our current government to the Nazi government of Germany that led to the holocaust. I combined walking in darkness to the slippery slope, often talked about when mankind makes laws that view "unwanted people" as having no rights. America's founding document, the Declaration of Independence, declares that human beings have a right of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. When our laws allow assisted suicide, abortion, fetal harvesting, etc. we walk in darkness.”

I’d say like, at LEAST half of the reject folders are Asay going too hard on abortion. I’m trying to limit them to provide variety. But this one could have been at any time in Chuck’s career.

Chuck Sez: “Caption "The Primary Turnout Cheer!" Three cheerleaders for the primary turnout can only spell VOT because the fourth member (the silent E) wants a bigger part. I guess voters have a right to remain silent. Bosses may have thought this cartoon was too obscure for readers.”

It is important to remember that a lot of rejects are just nixed for being too weak, weird, or plain indecipherable. Even his commentary doesn’t really explain the joke or premise. The date on the entry is 1986 (take with a grain of salt as some entries are tagged as 2100). Did a primary candidate or operative from either party whine about having too little power or something? That still doesn’t make sense given it’s about the vote itself!

So, do you all want another helping of rejects? Or should we jump straight into the 70s cartoons? Or should we leave Asay in the past where he belongs? The thread burns for your input.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The rejects are fascinating! I'd love to see more

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pants Donkey posted:

Well, this is very obviously the 80s, given Reagan, South Africa, and the cartoon being rejected for overblown fears of sexual misinterpretation. And yes, this is Chuck pooh-poohing Reagan for being soft towards sanctions on then-apartheid South Africa. Reagan’s alternative seemed to be mushy thoughts on “bringing freedom” there. SDI is likely the infamous Star Wars missile defense system. Not entirely sure how it was a bargaining chip…include their country as covered by the shield? Feel free to correct me if SDI is something else in this context.

SDI is indeed referring to the missile defense system, and it had nothing to do with South Africa. Back in the 1980s people still had to be able to read newspapers to get the news, so a cartoonist could still reference two separate issues in a single cartoon and expect people to understand the distinction. Don't blame yourself for the misunderstanding because it's a completely lost art these days.

Anyway that context suggestions that this is obviously a cartoon from the time of the arms limitation treaty negotiations between Gorbachev and Reagan in the mid/late '80s.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 25, 2024

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My misunderstanding was more from Asay’s commentary, which made it sound like SDI was part of Reagan’s South Africa policy. It does make more sense as its own issue in a broader cartoon about foreign policy.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
This Asay news is amazing, and the best thing to happen to me today.

While being terrible as he always was, of course.

Please, give us more, at a pace in which we can enjoy it for some time to come.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I can do so, but it'll be a weekly thing alongside China Daily and Le Monde. I assume they're easy enough to find and get?

https://grrrgraphics.com/cartoons/ should have what you need.

Pants Donkey posted:

Not only do we have cartoons deemed unfit for print, but with commentary from Asay himself on why they got rejected. Sometimes it’s a concrete, other times Asay has to hazard a guess. The only caveat is that some of these are tagged as “rejected locally”, so I’m not 100% certain if some of these did see print nationally but were specifically banned from Asay’s local paper. Either way, it offers some insight to be sure.

Oh, Jesus, why? This is the worst thing you could possibly do to us! Stuff even Asay didn't get published? Ugh! What vile effluvia lies within this terrible collection? How can we possibly survive this with our sanity intact?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the cartoons.

Carlos Latuff

Clay Bennett

Dave Whamond

Drew Sheneman

John Darkow

Matt Davies

Randall Enos

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Pants Donkey posted:

My misunderstanding was more from Asay’s commentary, which made it sound like SDI was part of Reagan’s South Africa policy. It does make more sense as its own issue in a broader cartoon about foreign policy.

Yeah; the better way to explain what Asay was going for was that Reagan was willing to negotiate with South Africa and the USSR - threatening sanctions on SA if they didn’t reform apartheid, and offering to back away from SDI if the Soviet Union changed some policies - and Asay is angry that Reagan isn’t simply threading the USSR with nuclear oblivion and telling SA that he’ll support them no matter what their internal policies were, because that’s the kind of rear end in a top hat Asay is.

Anyways, love this, would love to see more assuming this thread doesn’t turn jet-black with toxins from Asay and Ishida being posted on the same page

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Oh no! I have to smoke in this little room now? These AIDS people get all the breaks!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Murdstone posted:

Oh no! I have to smoke in this little room now? These AIDS people get all the breaks!

Lucky Ducky! :argh:
Gotcha! *dies of AIDS*

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Based on his one commentary mentioning the Dr. Seuss non-issue, I’d say these commentaries date to around 2021.

This means some thirty years later he still doesn’t understand that it’s pretty hosed up to act like a person with HIV can’t spread it by just breathing in your general vicinity.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah; the better way to explain what Asay was going for was that Reagan was willing to negotiate with South Africa and the USSR - threatening sanctions on SA if they didn’t reform apartheid, and offering to back away from SDI if the Soviet Union changed some policies - and Asay is angry that Reagan isn’t simply threading the USSR with nuclear oblivion and telling SA that he’ll support them no matter what their internal policies were, because that’s the kind of rear end in a top hat Asay is.

Anyways, love this, would love to see more assuming this thread doesn’t turn jet-black with toxins from Asay and Ishida being posted on the same page

At the Reykjavik Summit in 1986, Reagan offered to share SDI technology with the Soviets, who had wanted to ban SDI research entirely. While Gorbachev rejected the proposal, the hardline anticommunists saw even making the offer as a betrayal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!