Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

galagazombie posted:

Legit question but how does one become a “legitimate” rabbi? I mean I know anyone can declare themselves the pope of their own religion or whatever (see American evangelicals) but like what do you have to do that the majority of practicing Jewish people would recognize your rabbi-hood?

honestly from what i've seen and can vaguely remember being jew-ish, you go to a rabbi school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
*Al Saqr Voice*

Dirty Arab dog traitor King Abdullah…he needs to be saddam’d asap!

https://x.com/thecradlemedia/status/1771996512710431029?s=46

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Evidently, Shmuley is a Rabbi, but that shocks me because he doesn't act like any man of god - from any religion - that I've ever known. Every appearance of that piece of poo poo I've ever seen has him screaming invective at his opponents and then pretending to be under relentless attack when they hit back (so typical Zionist, yeah, but not very Rabbi-like in my non-Jewish opinion).

this_is_america_machine_gun_scene.gif

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

CheetoVonTito posted:

*Al Saqr Voice*

Dirty Arab dog traitor King Abdullah…he needs to be saddam’d asap!

https://x.com/thecradlemedia/status/1771996512710431029?s=46

1- I would never say dirty arab that's racist.

2 - you forgot to add 'Fucker' after Dog.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mr. Sharps posted:

paul was right and only gets more right every day

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Al-Saqr posted:

some details as to what Israel agreed to

====

‎Walla: Israel agrees to release 700 Palestinian prisoners‎

‎The Israeli website "Walla" quoted unnamed officials as saying that the US proposal to release 700 Palestinian prisoners, including 100 with life sentences, was approved in exchange for Hamas releasing 40 of the Israeli prisoners in Gaza.‎

‎They also said that Israel is willing to be flexible regarding the return of displaced people in the south to the north of the Strip, one of the main sticking points in indirect negotiations with Hamas, according to Israeli officials.‎

‎They also said they were waiting for Hamas' response to the US mediation proposal, and it is estimated that Hamas will respond within the next two days.‎

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...%B9%D9%84%D9%89

this is their response to the israeli protests due to one of the hostages starving to death because of the blockade, right?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hamas responds to Israeli claims of concessions

======

Urgent | A leading Hamas source told Al Jazeera: Israeli media leaks about concessions and compromises offered to Hamas are miserable propaganda.

Urgent | A leading Hamas source told Al Jazeera: Israel’s propaganda aims to cover up its intransigence and evade responsibility for obstructing the agreement before the families of its prisoners.

Urgent | A Hamas leadership source told Al Jazeera: We made clear our irreversible position, which is that there will be no exchange of prisoners while the massacres and siege continue.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Mr. Sharps posted:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Legit question but how does one become a “legitimate” rabbi? I mean I know anyone can declare themselves the pope of their own religion or whatever (see American evangelicals) but like what do you have to do that the majority of practicing Jewish people would recognize your rabbi-hood?

You must defeat another rabbi in one on one combat and decapitate him.

The Highlander was culturally appropriated Jewish heritage mixed with Hollywood magic.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hamas is bringing the fight to the Nazis

===========

Urgent | Al-Qassam: Our mujahideen sniped 3 Zionist soldiers in the vicinity of Al-Shifa Medical Complex in Gaza City

Urgent | Al-Qassam: Our mujahideen targeted a building in which Zionist forces were barricaded, killing and wounding a number of its members in the vicinity of the Al-Shifa Complex.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Hamas is bringing the fight to the Nazis

===========

Urgent | Al-Qassam: Our mujahideen sniped 3 Zionist soldiers in the vicinity of Al-Shifa Medical Complex in Gaza City

Urgent | Al-Qassam: Our mujahideen targeted a building in which Zionist forces were barricaded, killing and wounding a number of its members in the vicinity of the Al-Shifa Complex.

Based and Hamas-pilled

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

galagazombie posted:

From what I understand (I'm Jewish and observant but not very plugged-in), in Orthodox circles, you take an oral exam called smicha, which asks questions about four specific areas of halacha. There might be prerequisites for taking the exam, but "having smicha" is the main requirement to be considered a rabbi. (Also from what I understand, many people who complete the exam don't become "practicing" rabbis, i.e., they don't make it their job. They just want to complete the exam to mark an accomplishment in their religious education. I imagine that being a "pulpit rabbi" probably requires some history of service or apprenticeships but I don't know the specifics.) Other denominations have their preferred seminaries, etc. Religious authority in Judaism is very decentralized and not all Orthodox rabbis will recognize all the organizations that administer the exams, though I haven't heard of that often being an issue.

Sir Mat of Dickie has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Mar 24, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

I said come in! posted:

My house state rep voted yes to defunding UNRWA. She is a democrat who is openly racist and vocal in her hatred of Palestinians.

Why did you tell us she is a democrat twice?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

From what I understand (I'm Jewish and observant but not very plugged-in), in Orthodox circles, you take an oral exam called smicha, which asks questions about four specific areas of halacha. There might be prerequisites for taking the exam, but "having smicha" is the main requirement to be considered a rabbi. (Also from what I understand, many people who complete the exam don't become "practicing" rabbis, i.e., they don't make it their job. They just want to complete the exam to mark an accomplishment in their religious education. I imagine that being a "pulpit rabbi" probably requires some history of service or apprenticeships but I don't know the specifics.) Other denominations have their preferred seminaries, etc. Religious authority in Judaism is very decentralized and not all Orthodox rabbis will recognize all the organizations that administer the exams, though I haven't heard of that often being an issue.

I imagine they'd take issue with women rabbis, at least that seemed to be the case with the two women rabbis I knew who were practicing in liberal synagogues.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pomeroy posted:

I think the most plausible interpretation is that the more conservative wing of the party wasn't willing to escalate when the US threatened war, and that brought the existing tensions within the party to a head. Now, naturally, as a Communist, I find the principled internationalism of Salah Jadid admirable, but as a relatively comfortable American, I can't exactly bring myself to despise third world leaders for being unwilling to put their country in the line of fire in the front rank, in the name of principle, let alone equate them to outright comprador lackeys for it. Psychologically, I find it much more plausible that someone like Hafez made the decision he did on the basis of not wanting to expose the country to danger, than out of personal cowardice or corruption.

Hell, the leaders of the Soviet Union did worse at times, to try to make nice with the US, with much less excuse.

Hafez sent in two armored and one mechanized infantry brigades, around 300 tanks and 10,000 soldiers.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Weka posted:

Hafez sent in two armored and one mechanized infantry brigades, around 300 tanks and 10,000 soldiers.

Right, and what the anti-Assad people seem to be alleging is that when the US and the Zionist entity threatened to escalate to open war in response, Hafez Assad backed down specifically to undermine Jadid, which I am arguing is not the most plausible interpretation of events.

EDIT: though, as has been said, this is probably not the thread to re-litigate Syria, I'd be happy to continue the line of discussion in another thread.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Evidently, Shmuley is a Rabbi, but that shocks me because he doesn't act like any man of god - from any religion - that I've ever known. Every appearance of that piece of poo poo I've ever seen has him screaming invective at his opponents and then pretending to be under relentless attack when they hit back (so typical Zionist, yeah, but not very Rabbi-like in my non-Jewish opinion).

don't forget selling dildos with his daughter, that thing men of god often do

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Doktor Avalanche posted:

don't forget selling dildos with his daughter, that thing men of god often do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjR6nHhc6Rg&t=126s

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Brandon Proust posted:

he should be freed, and the admins should apologize and kiss his rear end

yup

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Thoguh posted:

The dual loyalty I’m concerned about is the one of our elected representatives.
Good news! There's no "dual" loyalty going on, lol.

They're absolutely putting israeli interests above the US.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Arc Hammer posted:

The UNRWA funding freeze is such a loving piss off because it's gonna end up dragging other countries into suspending funding as well. Canada recently resumed funding and now I'll bet they go back on that change because papa USA said so.

same thing happened in Australia. the opposition immediately questioned our acting foreign minister and asked why we weren't "following America's leadership" or some sycophantic poo poo like that.

CheetoVonTito posted:

So US “bars” UNRWA…and israel follows it up by blocking all UNRWA aid into Gaza moving forward.

Call me crazy, but I’m started by to think Israel and the US are in on this together

https://x.com/warmonitors/status/1771921617892901249?s=46

loving disgusting. I hope the world is paying attention to how the wet claims moral superiority by highlighting how they fund international institutions that are politically neutral and benevolent but if they ever actually do anything they don't like, they get sabotaged by western powers though financing, PR and security.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Dreylad posted:

I imagine they'd take issue with women rabbis, at least that seemed to be the case with the two women rabbis I knew who were practicing in liberal synagogues.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I was referring to issues within Orthodox communities. There is a group called Open Orthodox was shunned by the main Orthodox organizations I believe specifically for ordaining women (or maybe it was another red line issue). Certainly the different denominations have lots of issues that divide them and Orthodox authorities won't recognize the legitimacy of other rabbis ordained by Conservative, Reform, etc. seminaries.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
[quote="Brandon Proust" post="538542606"]
he should be freed, and made the politics admin because of his clear sightedness
/quote]

Weka
May 5, 2019

Pomeroy posted:

Right, and what the anti-Assad people seem to be alleging is that when the US and the Zionist entity threatened to escalate to open war in response, Hafez Assad backed down specifically to undermine Jadid, which I am arguing is not the most plausible interpretation of events.

EDIT: though, as has been said, this is probably not the thread to re-litigate Syria, I'd be happy to continue the line of discussion in another thread.

Yeah I think we broadly agree but I read the Mideast and Africa thread if you do want to continue

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mr. Sharps posted:

lisan al-gaib

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

An acquaintance was telling me that their synagogue in the US recently had a guest speaker from "israel" that gave a talk that ended up being about the need to get rid of the current Israeli government for prolonging the war. I assume they mean just Netenyahu. The rabbi asked the speaker "What about Hamas?" and the guest speaker didn't really care about Hamas as much as they did the Israeli government.

Maybe burger posting, but I think what's playing out in Jewish communities in the US will have ramifications for the war. This wasn't a JVP event or anti-Zionist group, this was at a mainstream Reform congregation.

Regime change in Israel won't destroy Israel or even end the genocide, but regime change efforts almost always make states weaker and more fragile. Internal divisions among the Zionists and imperialists is good for the Palestinian struggle.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Atrocious Joe posted:

An acquaintance was telling me that their synagogue in the US recently had a guest speaker from "israel" that gave a talk that ended up being about the need to get rid of the current Israeli government for prolonging the war. I assume they mean just Netenyahu. The rabbi asked the speaker "What about Hamas?" and the guest speaker didn't really care about Hamas as much as they did the Israeli government.

Maybe burger posting, but I think what's playing out in Jewish communities in the US will have ramifications for the war. This wasn't a JVP event or anti-Zionist group, this was at a mainstream Reform congregation.

Regime change in Israel won't destroy Israel or even end the genocide, but regime change efforts almost always make states weaker and more fragile. Internal divisions among the Zionists and imperialists is good for the Palestinian struggle.

I mean you're mostly seeing Zionists who have a guess at what the most hardcore Zionists are currently costing them.

The cold calculated logic of an abuser asking "what if they actually leave"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Except that the potential successors (Gantz, Sa'ar, Ben-Gvir, Lapid, etc.) will keep the genocide going so you're just shuffling chairs, not changing material circumstances for the Palestinian people by replacing Bibi with another of the ghouls, which ultimately is the only thing that matters. You want to destroy the capacity to genocide, not spill Bibi out of office for a 'decorum' fascist to be continuing it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i think pretty much the us and the israeli opposition that is left wants the slow cooker approach to the occupation. no one cared that thousands of Palestinians were being killed every year as long as it wasn't open warfare and endless news about starvation and mass child death. the settlers and sporadic IDF violence was internationally acceptable no matter how many countries said "the settlements in the west bank are illegal." that was all anyone did about it.

i suppose the fascist approach requires an accelerated timetable but the old way was working.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
The old way provoked and enabled Oct 7th to happen, but there is no new way.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

yeah, there’s no new normal that’s going to look anything like the status quo of the “iron dome era”. the best case for the zionists is they kill off so much of the Gazan population through siege warfare that the rest can be herded into small concentration camps, and the rest of the strip colonized. I fear we are headed in that direction.

there are many possible ways this could end badly for Israel, but it would require them to reap what they’re sewing in a cascading series of events that can’t possibly be predicted from this moment.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

sorry if this is burger but it relates to protests of the current war

pretty funny transcript, esp the end when the lawyer tries to plead to the authority of the uc law dean and judge shuts him up

https://x.com/ussamamakdisi/status/1771974315719983500

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Except that the potential successors (Gantz, Sa'ar, Ben-Gvir, Lapid, etc.) will keep the genocide going so you're just shuffling chairs, not changing material circumstances for the Palestinian people by replacing Bibi with another of the ghouls, which ultimately is the only thing that matters. You want to destroy the capacity to genocide, not spill Bibi out of office for a 'decorum' fascist to be continuing it.

if netanyahu goes and the problems continue (they will) it helps to strip away one of the excuses

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Al-Saqr posted:

Hamas responds to Israeli claims of concessions

======

Urgent | A leading Hamas source told Al Jazeera: Israeli media leaks about concessions and compromises offered to Hamas are miserable propaganda.

Urgent | A leading Hamas source told Al Jazeera: Israel’s propaganda aims to cover up its intransigence and evade responsibility for obstructing the agreement before the families of its prisoners.

Urgent | A Hamas leadership source told Al Jazeera: We made clear our irreversible position, which is that there will be no exchange of prisoners while the massacres and siege continue.

hate to say it but so not surprised
all the prisoners they released they killed, then arrested more, it's just a big game
having said that, Hamas and the Palestinian people are incredibly resilient and courageous

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Dreylad posted:

i think pretty much the us and the israeli opposition that is left wants the slow cooker approach to the occupation. no one cared that thousands of Palestinians were being killed every year as long as it wasn't open warfare and endless news about starvation and mass child death. the settlers and sporadic IDF violence was internationally acceptable no matter how many countries said "the settlements in the west bank are illegal." that was all anyone did about it.

i suppose the fascist approach requires an accelerated timetable but the old way was working.

it was working and there was way less social media coverage as well even like less than 10 years ago, or even 5.
If it wasn't for Netanyahu's blatant arrogance and ambition, the situation would still be out of sight/out of mind. I think this is what the US is hoping for through the summer, that people get tired and numb and get distracted.
but I also feel like the opposite is actually happening, the mask really makes a thud when it falls off

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1772107960178663743?s=20

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

sorry if this is burger but it relates to protests of the current war

pretty funny transcript, esp the end when the lawyer tries to plead to the authority of the uc law dean and judge shuts him up

https://x.com/ussamamakdisi/status/1771974315719983500

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

'Hamas has already been defeated' is this season's 'Ukraine has already won'